Using Credit Cards In Malaysia

Netfan

Anyone have any recent experience using their credit card in Malaysia? I have booked a room at the Empress Hotel in Sepang for the Motogp weekend. Because it's a big weekend they are requesting I fax them a credit card authorization form to hold the room. Last I heard banks were cancelling cards that were used in Malaysia because of fraud. Just wondering if that's still the case. I am leery of doing this, had planned to pay by cash.

When I lived in Penang, I made as many trips to Hat Yai as I could. On one weekend I withdrew money from an ATM there and saw a massive amount of cash was missing. I immediately returned to Penang and contacted my bank. Seems there was a withdrawal in Macau about 10 minutes before I made a withdrawal in Hat Yai.

The bank was good about returning the money and from that day on I never used another credit card in Malaysia. They are very good at scanning your card so if you must use a credit card, DON'T let it out of your sight and look for yourself that it is only passed through one scanner that provides a receipt.

I've used my credit cards many times in Malaysia without any problem. Not saying fraud doesn't occur of course. Thailand's statistical reputation on credit card fraud doesn't better Malaysia's. However I've never encountered fraud in Thailand either.

On the other hand I have had my credit identity stolen twice--both times by gangs in London using computer hacks (from what I was told at least).

Thanks for all the input. Good idea brit...I called KTB, they said i "can" use the card in Malaysia. However when I asked hotel to clarify their request, they responded by asking me to fax a copy of both sides of the card along with authorization. Somehow I don't think that's a good idea. Looking for a new hotel or pay an agent in Thailand with cash for a voucher.

Thanks for all the input. Good idea brit...I called KTB, they said i "can" use the card in Malaysia. However when I asked hotel to clarify their request, they responded by asking me to fax a copy of both sides of the card along with authorization. Somehow I don't think that's a good idea. Looking for a new hotel or pay an agent in Thailand with cash for a voucher.

Asiatravel.com ???? (normally process through them - credit card used to guaranteed reservation, pay at hotel)

Asiatravel.com ???? (normally process through them - credit card used to guaranteed reservation, pay at hotel)

or asiarooms.com

Never had to fax both sides of a credit card. Stayed in KL for 6 months with no problems with credit cards and used them a lot. My wife loves shopping in KL.

Anyone have any recent experience using their credit card in Malaysia? I have booked a room at the Empress Hotel in Sepang for the Motogp weekend. Because it's a big weekend they are requesting I fax them a credit card authorization form to hold the room. Last I heard banks were cancelling cards that were used in Malaysia because of fraud. Just wondering if that's still the case. I am leery of doing this, had planned to pay by cash.

I would agree with what was advised by Bangsaenguy about credit card usage when booking accomodation in Malaysia. Never fax your card to the party requesting it since in this part of the world (and this can happen even in Thailand) this may invite fraud and identity theft.

It would be more prudent to book hotel rooms online via reputable reservation sites like asiarooms.com through which I have used on numerous occasions without any problems. Be extra careful about revealing the last three digit security code at the back of your card since this acts as verification for payments and transactions over the internet.

It is certainly true that the credit card fraudsters in Malaysia are getting rather creative in ripping off the banks and card issuers so a bit of caution is in order. Maybe this is the sign of the times!

used a credit card many times in malaysia over the past 10 years and not had a problem - of course any where one has to take appropriate measures to ensure that security is not compromised.

It is possible now to get one off "credit cards" where a no and cvv are issued for a single transaction and after that the card is not valid. Also you could send a recently expired credit card, and also have a backup plan in case this is spotted before you get there...

Would they accept payment/guarantee in some other form ie paypal, cheque or bank transfer - cheque and bank transfer may be even more risky as they will have your bank account details and your signature - this can be used to initiate transfers by fax by an unauthorised party - one to watch out for.

Or you could provide what they ask for an obsure part of the critical information by prior agreement then pay by cash when you get there. Some banks atm cards will allow withdrawls at wholesale forex rates, have no loading or other charges - so you get a good deal on ringitts...'

If you are worried, book thru travel agent here to ease your mind. No doubt, Malaysia use to be well known for credit card fraud. But again, since they have implemented chip & pin on the card this illegal activities has slightly drop.

Edited by Thaising

I must have been unlucky. Used my credit card once only in Malaysia to pay for my hotel bill at a KL 4star hotel. A couple of weeks later my card number was being used to pay for department store purchases in another Asian country. Talking to the fraud section of my card company they strongly hinted that it was because of my card use in KL as all other recent purchases were at places l used often like the local gas station, supermarket etc.