Littering Police vs Tourists

BoneRanger

If you just strip the ember off and put the filter your pocket they don't charge you. I was stopped once because they saw me smoking and thought they would get some cash, When I pulled the filters out of my pocket they just walked off. The problem is there are very few signs and most tourists that smoke are unaware of the fine.

• Like 1

If you just strip the ember off and put the filter your pocket they don't charge you. I was stopped once because they saw me smoking and thought they would get some cash, When I pulled the filters out of my pocket they just walked off. The problem is there are very few signs and most tourists that smoke are unaware of the fine.

No the problems is that they target tourist and ignore the Thais. Face it this is a scam that puts money in their pockets. Not meant to stop littering.

But isn't that normal? Most times they target the ones they know will have the cash to pay and ignore those that don't or won't pay.

• Like 2

No, it's not only "...foreign cigarette smokers..." it's anybody they can shakedown.

Every farang that smokes isn't "...stalked like prey..." you're paranoid.

No no no. They do stalk every foreigner that is smoking. Every one.

If the cigarette is long, they lazy bastards radio ahead to a cohort.

Just watch and pay attention and you will spot a smoker and 100% of the time a BMA fake cop is following with a big grin.

KaChing! Payday!

• Like 1

Lol how many stinky filters did you have in your pocket?

It's not a scam, they are BMA officers (not police) empowered to collect fines for littering. I can assure you that Thais are stopped, although very infrequently in the tourist areas. There are plenty of bins (nice, big, bright yellow ones), so really there is no excuse.

If you have ever seen Silom road at 5.00 in the morning, it is like a rubbish tip.

By 7.00 am it has all been cleared up, not a cigarette butt in sight.

So Thais know to dump their rubbish in the streets for a nightly clean up.

So for many people they see nothing wrong in throwing rubbish wherever they are.

Of course if the street is not cleaned regularly...........

Well bin your bloody durry butts and you won't have a problem.

Im sure these corrupt cops only happen when you break the law right?

No. Apparently you have not read the reports over the last ten years or seen the expose in The Spectrum or talked with the embassies about the complaints they brought up with Thai officials.

Scammers is what they are.

I see about a dozen of thes guys between the Soi 2 and Soi 24.

I see a steady parade if farangs only lined up to pay.

12 camera nailing 3 tourists eac per hour= 72,000bt per hour x 8 hour shift = 576,000bt per day =17,000,000bt per month.

With that kind of income you would think they would install some ashtray or bins..... But that would reduce the income.

Now this same gang of government thugs also have 500 disfigured beggars all over town diverting donations to the poor into city officials pockets. Nice.

Let's see, 500 beggars bringing in 1,000bt each a day?

That's another 25 million a month.

Now all the street scammers & vendors are paying them too.

• Like 1

Sounds like a viral video on Youtube just waiting to be made. Those overpasses would be a perfect vantage point.

I think it's been done. Not exactly riveting viewing - someone drops litter, is approached by a BMA official and fined; is given a receipt and goes on!

• Like 1

It's not a scam, they are BMA officers (not police) empowered to collect fines for littering. I can assure you that Thais are stopped, although very infrequently in the tourist areas. There are plenty of bins (nice, big, bright yellow ones), so really there is no excuse.

Plenty of bins?????????????

Yes. Possibly due to the recent publicity, large yellow bins have been placed every 100 metres or so, along Sukhumvit (Prom Phong/Asok area). I have some photos I took somewhere whch I posted on another thread about this.

Plenty of bins?????????????

Yes. Possibly due to the recent publicity, large yellow bins have been placed every 100 metres or so, along Sukhumvit (Prom Phong/Asok area). I have some photos I took somewhere whch I posted on another thread about this.

I'm pleased to hear that, I got fed up looking for a rubbish bin in Bangkok, When I finish my can of juice, I always had to lay it down somewhere, in a doorway, on a wall etc.

• Like 1

No, it's not only "...foreign cigarette smokers..." it's anybody they can shakedown.

Clearly you have no idea what you are posting about. I've never seen nor heard of these chaps trying to do a Thai.

I recall watching these bozos on the corner of soi 5 a few years back trying to pull pretty much any Westerner passing who looked particularly 'touristy' - even non smokers - with any scrap of paper which came to hand sometimes, just outright lying and cheating people. Especially if they'd just got off a bus it would be a bus ticket 'violation'...They were like sharks at times, using intimidatory tactics on the unwary with impunity; surrounding them, threatening them with arrest and so on.

All the while this was going on, onlooking Tuk Tuk drivers/moto boys casually pinged their cig ends around without a flicker from these 'officials'. When one guy sitting near me pointed this out to one of them, he was given a reply ''he Thai person, no ploplem''.

Shame to hear they're back. Another excellent advert for visiting Thailand....I actually thought this clown show had been retired and consigned to the dustbin of history. I guess in this modern era they will soon be all over social media with their scamming ways, dragging Thailand's name through the dirt, especially once the foreign press get hold of it. Then one hopes both ''organ grinders and monkeys'' get disposed of.

yeah it's good that farang get this.

Just watch and pay attention and you will spot a smoker and 100% of the time a BMA fake cop is following with a big grin.

KaChing! Payday!

They aren't cops. They are called Tessakit and they wear a dark green uniform.

I know who they are. They dress like paramilitary and claim to be police.

We know but tourists are intimidated.

• Like 1

KaChing! Payday!

They aren't cops. They are called Tessakit and they wear a dark green uniform.

I know who they are. They dress like paramilitary and claim to be police.

We know but tourists are intimidated.

Thais like uniform! If they weren't dressed in official uniform do you think it would be less "intimidating"??!

KaChing! Payday!

You are absolute correct. Further more they have all those street vendors with their cart as well that will report any farang or foreigner. My advise to anyone, walk all the way to Robinson or drop your cigi on private property such as in front of the Sofitel which have an ashtray. This story is going on for years already and is not news to anyone.

• Like 1