Cayenne Pepper

Go4er

I am looking for ground Cayenne Pepper. I have tried Big C and Central Plaza in Udon Thani without any success. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase it in and around Northeastern Thailand? Thanks in advance.

in sakon nakon robinsons / topps or i guess any topps

You sure ??? I've been looking for it in Sakon Kakhon Tops, Tesco & Makro.... none in stock, that I can see. I'll be happy to be corrected on this.

Cheers..... Mal.

• 4 weeks later...

Easiest thing would be to use a coffee grinder or something similar with regular dried chiles you can easily find here. It's what I used to do in the US and what I'll do once our kitchen is finished. No more wasted time or gas

I think you'll find fresh ground local chilies & cayenne pepper have a completely different taste. I've been using both for many years & have tried to substitute one for the other. Very unsuccessful. The taste is so different it can easily spoil the overall dish.

Yes, grinding your own chilies is the go. So much better than bottled store bought chili powder or flakes.Jus

Just sayin...... Mal.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you serious that you cannot find ground cayenne chili in Thailand..... in Thailand, really?

Yes.... really !

You think we are on here talking about & requesting advice just for something meaningless to do ?

I have no doubt Cayenne pepper is available in Bangkok & some larger cities but not all supermarkets in provincial cities stock it.

Cheers..... Mal.

Fresh chiles dried in sun and run thru a blender..........yikes

Why "yikes" ?

Besides my self & Thai girl, most of the locals grind dried chilies in a blender or food processor.

We live in a very rural part of Isaan, however being 2015, most of the locals do have some modern appliances.

Would be interested in knowing why you feel this practice is "yikes"

Just as a matter of interest, we use the blender to make rice flower from grain. Quick rinse after the chilies or rice or whatever else & ready for fresh coffee beans. Kinda thought that's what one did with a grinder / blender.

Chilies, garlic, ginger, coriander, onion & some Soi sauce + whatever else takes your fancy, & you have a great marinade for chicken or pork.

Happy grinding.

Cheers..... Mal.

Are you serious that you cannot find ground cayenne chili in Thailand..... in Thailand, really?

Yes.... really !

You think we are on here talking about & requesting advice just for something meaningless to do ?

I have no doubt Cayenne pepper is available in Bangkok & some larger cities but not all supermarkets in provincial cities stock it.

Cheers..... Mal.

I also live in Issan and virtually every market has a seller of plastic bags of peppers; both whole and ground.

There is no doubt that the taste of, for instance, Jalapeno pepper is different from the typical Thai chili, I myself really like a Habanero chili. Not because of the heat, but because of the taste. Now this guy will be looking for Cayenne chilis if he wants to make his own Cayenne pepper.

The above named Jalapeno and Habanero chilis don't grow so good here in my experience, so maybe Cayenne also doesn't flourish here. I have seen it somewhere, I will have a look tomorrow.

Image attached so you can spost-130198-0-10556800-1425782459_thumb.ee the Thai word for Cayenne pepper, probably contains the word for capsule also'

Edited by cooked

Maybe they sell it at the local markets but under a Thai name , not Cayenne?

I'd try and ask the staff if they sell พริกไทยป่น Pik Thai Bonn Available in Sisaket, but also in Ubon.

Edited by lostinisaan

Yes.... really !

Cheers..... Mal.

I also live in Issan and virtually every market has a seller of plastic bags of peppers; both whole and ground.

You "also live in Isaan", but you obviously haven't been to very rural areas. Most Thai farmers, including my mother and father in law and most others in the village grow chilli to make some really needed extra baht.

They're currently seeking guys to help them out to pick them. 3 baht per kilogram, but you'll have free Lao Kao.coffee1.gif

Page me, if interested, Assistance for a short time work permit will be given..... thumbsup.gif

Red and green ones, which they usually dry in the sun, before you can see/buy them at the local market.

But it's not Cayenne pepper. wai2.gif

post-158336-0-42110800-1425817310_thumb.

post-158336-0-86003500-1425817332_thumb.

post-158336-0-54419600-1425817523_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Yes.... really !

Cheers..... Mal.

You "also live in Isaan", but you obviously haven't been to very rural areas. Most Thai farmers, including my mother and father in law and most others in the village grow chilli to make some really needed extra baht.

They're currently seeking guys to help them out to pick them. 3 baht per kilogram, but you'll have free Lao Kao.coffee1.gif

Page me, if interested, Assistance for a short time work permit will be given..... thumbsup.gif

Red and green ones, which they usually dry in the sun, before you can see/buy them at the local market.

But it's not Cayenne pepper. wai2.gif

Your lack of success in your search for peppers seems to be making you a tad cranky. Edited by SpokaneAl

Why "yikes" ?

Besides my self & Thai girl, most of the locals grind dried chilies in a blender or food processor.

We live in a very rural part of Isaan, however being 2015, most of the locals do have some modern appliances.

Just as a matter of interest, we use the blender to make rice flower from grain. Quick rinse after the chilies or rice or whatever else & ready for fresh coffee beans. Kinda thought that's what one did with a grinder / blender.

Chilies, garlic, ginger, coriander, onion & some Soi sauce + whatever else takes your fancy, & you have a great marinade for chicken or pork.

Happy grinding.

Cheers..... Mal.

Yikes only meant very spicy.

There is no doubt that the taste of, for instance, Jalapeno pepper is different from the typical Thai chili, I myself really like a Habanero chili. Not because of the heat, but because of the taste. Now this guy will be looking for Cayenne chilis if he wants to make his own Cayenne pepper.

The above named Jalapeno and Habanero chilis don't grow so good here in my experience, so maybe Cayenne also doesn't flourish here. I have seen it somewhere, I will have a look tomorrow.

Image attached so you can sattachicon.gifCayenne_web-360x210.jpgee the Thai word for Cayenne pepper, probably contains the word for capsule also'

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/พริกชี้ฟ้า

seems it has many names depending on where in thailand you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayenne_pepper

Edited by Ghoulst Writer

Why "yikes" ?

Happy grinding.

Cheers..... Mal.

Yikes only meant very spicy.

Ah, now I understand. I thought you were questioning grinding the chilies in the blender.

Cheers..... Mal.

Yes.... really !

Cheers..... Mal.

This topic is about CAYENNE pepper.... NOT Thai chilies. The bagged or loose chilies we find in all Thai provincial markets have absolutely NO resemblance to CAYENNE pepper.

I guess you were trying to offer assistance of some sort, thanks, ... BUT, if you don't know the subject matter, maybe best not to offer comments.

I'm not trying to flame you, but so many posts get derailed or side tracked by comments & info that are not relevant to the topic.

I've now got my CAYENNE pepper at last.

Cheers..... Mal.

Mal, where did you get it, I've looked all over, Tips, Macro, Big C, Tesco Lotus, couldn't find it anywhere.

George. PM me if you'd like me to get you some.

Cheers. .... Mal.