Japanese man shaming Suvarnabhumi in Thai goes viral

webfact

. In Bangkok this option is offered and in fact I use it costing me 850 baht. 850 baht! The price of a meal. The price of a nice glass of Merlot. A small price to pay to see my kids 1 hour earlier than I normally would. I don't get that choice in most airports. At Suvarnabhumi I do.

Standing in the line won't speed up the waiting time. Complaining about it won't speed up the waiting time. You know what will speed up the waiting time? Paying 850 baht.

If you don't like it pay the money to bypass it.

You think this is a good thing? If the gates were properly manned then there wouldn't be a need for 'express'. Its just another scam, keep the lines full and busy and then let the impatient pay 850 baht to use a shorter queue. Well done on perpetuating it.

Never really had a problem before but arrived 2 weeks ago at about 6am and the queue was horrendous, took over 2 hours to get through. The queue started at the bottom of that slope, never seen nothing like it there before.

Finally got to the front with about 8 people in front of me for my desk and some woman tries to pull me out of the queue and tells me to head somewhere else to queue! Told her I'd been queuing for 2 hours, she didnt care and kept pointing, I grabbed myself and very firmly said - I need hong nam, she snorted and went off to pick on someone else. Bizarre

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

"Too few and stinky toilets".

Plenty of toilets and I've never come across a "stinky" one.

"personell can't speak english".

People that travellers need do speak enough English. Don't you speak Thai?

"too crowded at the check-inn"

Check in earlier.

"not enough smoking area's".

That only be a good thing, but who really cares and is it that important?

" very long qeueu's".

Is there one airport anywhere that doesn't have queues?

"crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality".

Definitely not the responsibility of the airport.

"restaurants can't speak english".

The airport doesn't run the restaurants? This is not an English speaking country, you know.

"no free wifi".

It's an airport, do your internet stuff before or after you get there, or use your phone for contact.

"too few seats for the A380 plane's".

Which was there first, the airport or the A380s?

"airline groundstaff can't speak english".

All the staff speak enough English to do their job.

So, are you agreeing that airport does kinda suck? Anyone who flies in the region knows what a good airport is and what facilities and services are valued by a traveler.

OB

Obviously I don't agree, are you a bit slow?

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

The airport doesn't run the restaurants? This is not an English speaking country, you know.

"no free wifi".

It's an airport, do your internet stuff before or after you get there, or use your phone for contact.

Sviss Geez, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are over 65 and not in international business ....

Wrong on both counts, although what either of those 2 things has to do with anything I don't know.

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

"no free wifi".

What a lot of apologist's rubbish.

The toilets are often overused and can smell, particularly near where the aircraft are.

You should not expect passengers who have just landed from Uzbekistan to Thailand for the first time to speak Thai, they might well know some English.

What is the point of checking in earlier when there are no seats in the terminal, an efficient service would be a better idea. I want to check in 1/2 hour before I need to board.

I don't smoke either so don't care, but smokers should be accommodated, as should children, disabled people.

Some airports around the world are worse, some better, but immigration queues are excessive.

Taxis gouging customers should be the responsibility of the airport, else they lose their right to take customers. If the taxis are dirty, it is also a valid complaint.

It is an airport, staff should be capable of dealing with the customers, in Switzerland and Holland, likely they could answer you in 3 or 4 languages.

Why not supply Wi-Fi....... it keeps waiting people amused.

If they accept A380s, there should be the facilities to handle them with due consideration to the passengers.

Many do not do their jobs very well.

You're right, what you posted was a lot of rubbish, what I posted made sense.

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

"no free wifi".

What a lot of apologist's rubbish.

The toilets are often overused and can smell, particularly near where the aircraft are.

You should not expect passengers who have just landed from Uzbekistan to Thailand for the first time to speak Thai, they might well know some English.

What is the point of checking in earlier when there are no seats in the terminal, an efficient service would be a better idea. I want to check in 1/2 hour before I need to board.

I don't smoke either so don't care, but smokers should be accommodated, as should children, disabled people.

Some airports around the world are worse, some better, but immigration queues are excessive.

Taxis gouging customers should be the responsibility of the airport, else they lose their right to take customers. If the taxis are dirty, it is also a valid complaint.

It is an airport, staff should be capable of dealing with the customers, in Switzerland and Holland, likely they could answer you in 3 or 4 languages.

Why not supply Wi-Fi....... it keeps waiting people amused.

If they accept A380s, there should be the facilities to handle them with due consideration to the passengers.

Many do not do their jobs very well.

You're right, what you posted was a lot of rubbish, what I posted made sense.

To you it might.

• Like 1

Sorry taony, but looking at your past post's, there's nothing but a complete rant against Thai's. Whether its an airport, or its OK for us to drop rubbish as Thai's do. & then you tell us your quite fluent in the language, obviously been here some time, but don't even know where the visa number is on your passport is.

Please go join suffinator in the fantasy queue mate---There's room for you stand while you think up your next rant.

Great, you have lots of time to do research and come to incorrect conclusions. If you read again, you will see I did the same exact thing two times in a row, put my passport on the counter, and got two completely different reactions from the man behind it. My visa consists of three different stamps on pages spread through out the passport. There are about ten different things written in it, none of which are identified as the visa number. The first immigration officer didn't know which one it was either.

Its probably time for you to go back to lala land where everything is wonderful. If case you haven't noticed, its not me making all the posts in this thread or starting facebook pages that gets thousands of likes and responses. Keep on thinking its me though. chern leree krap.

The airport and tourists, frankly there many I wouldn't let into the kingdom. Disrespectful slobs.

Be careful what you wish for - if Thailand does raise the standards for tourists - there's no way you woulld make the cut with your elitist attitude.

Only got ripped for 700 baht? Two years ago, I had zero choices for taxis and had to pay 800 baht to go to Sukhumvit and then the driver demanded a 100 baht tip, which I refused to give. I'm guessing it's gotten worse in the interim.

No one is in an uproar over 700 baht. Don't know why there are people that still can't grasp this. If the fare was 2,000 baht , we'd all prepare 2,000 baht for the trip. What we are complaining about is a 2,000 baht fare where the driver thinks he can just charge what he feels like you should pay and ask you for 6,000 baht.

Sadly, he is 100% correct...the service in general in Thailand and at Swampy, in particular, is dreadful. One would never see this abysmal service in Tokyo...

True that is because once you get in the taxi ...to are paying for the quality ride into the city centre

The Japanese has some of the best rides in the world with very polite and honest drivers ....it cost me USD$60 for my recent ride into town and yes there was no negotiation as everything is fixed price and orderly in Japan. it's an expensive ride in an expensive city

I think for my vacation and down time ...I will stick to my Thai driver and speak politely in thai and get my my 350 baht ride into town ...so far I have not been fleeced

i think there are a lot of people complaining about nothing. Try to travel around the globe and compare to other airports. Swampie is not so bad

I tend to agree, but I haven't flown out for over 7 months now. Has it recently got much worse?

I don't think comparing to worse places to minimize problems at Swampy is a valid argument, let us strive to do better, not lower ourselves to the poor performance levels.

I will always prefer to use Swampy though than my home country's over-crowded chaotic place, Heathrow, I have carried that grudge for some years now. :D

Mr Koki Aki should travel to any Indian airport, there he can have the pleasure of being fumigated in the transit hall, getting a Delhi Belly from the restaurant food and traveling to his hotel in taxis called Ambassadors without air-cons on roads that looks like the old Ho Chi Minh Trail after a couple of B-52s just carpet bombed it. Suvarnabhumi is maybe not a perfect modern airport, but at least its an airport, traveling by boat from Japan to Bangkok would take some time.

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo
  • Like 1

Sorry Mate. Im british and only travel to Thailand once a year, with my Thai wife. Cant really fault the airport.

If you want to complain try Heathrow. 2 Hours in customs sometimes and if I was STUPID enough £120 for a cab from Heathrow to Windsor, a distane of about 8 miles. Think yourself lucky

Yippee!!! Aki San, you are so very right about the morons and cretins at this worst airport in the world!! Rude inefficient and obnoxious staff all over in the airport. I even often hear the F----- word spoken from the airport staff to foreigners travelling there. What a horrible bunch of crap people.

Another stupid airport is in Manilla.

Yippee!!! Aki San, you are so very right about the morons and cretins at this worst airport in the world!! Rude inefficient and obnoxious staff all over in the airport. I even often hear the F----- word spoken from the airport staff to foreigners travelling there. What a horrible bunch of crap people.

Another stupid airport is in Manilla.

NAIA definitely a candidate for worst air traffic control in all of SEA. Arriving flights usually delayed (circling); not uncommon for an arrived flight to wait 20mins or more for a jet bridge because departing flights still waiting at their gates still using them; departing flights either late to board or detained on deck waiting for a release (pilots don't usually keep the situation a secret from the passengers, either arriving or departing).

'Sat in the gate area in Puerto Princesa delayed over 2 hours waiting for a flight back to Manila, along with not one, not two, but three other flights all headed for Manila and all delayed because of "traffic delays at Manila". (That's a total of four flights; three different airlines.) I was fortunate in that at least my flight hadn't boarded. Two of the others had passengers already boarded. Bright, sunny, warm day, BTW. A couple of weeks earlier, had had my flight from BKK to MNL delayed a little over an hour, and the announcement at the gate was that it was due to delays in Manila.

And flying out of NAIA after Christmas, I was on a Cebu Pacific flight that was delayed, along with 2 other CB int'l flights. Their terminal management was bizarre and downright hostile: they crammed everyone waiting for all three flights into one gate area, and actually sent out four female airport goons to insist everyone do their waiting within that one gate area! An entirely empty gate area immediately on the other side of the corridor was actually blocked off. The goons chased everyone out who'd been sitting (or sleeping...) there, circled the seats, and then hung around to make sure no one could sit down there again! The goons got a pretty good sit-down and some quality cellphone time out of it though (well except for the occasional hapless passenger who might start to try and invade the forbidden area, forcing the goon to interrupt their chat session to get up and chase them away). So bizarre.

And the taxi situation at NAIA... Aaargh - don't get me started!

Cebu Pacific can be bad, but the combination of CB & NAIA is horrific.

No comparison with Suv.; NAIA infinitely worse, esp. now with some construction going on there.

Edited by hawker9000

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I came to Thailand 25 years ago it was a lot wilder at the airport (and also in Bangkok generally) than now. But I thought it was a fascinating experience. I think there's little risk of getting caught up in any significant rip-offs if you don't respond to any unsolicited approaches (from touts) anywhere.

In my first 5 years or so of travelling to Thailand on holidays I got caught in about six rip-offs (I was adventurous) - but none of them cost me more than about $150 (each time). Compare that to the MUCH higher cost of everything in developed countries.

I see it as a matter of accepting the good with the bad i.e. Thailand has a lot of sun, fun, adventure and excitement, but, on the downside, you occasionally get stung by the cultural differences - if you don't accept it, you're in for a fairly rough and frustrating ride.

I am quite struck by the comment (above) in which the immigration officer apparently threw the farang's passport on the floor - maybe it did happen, but did the farang do or say something to provoke this? Because why would an immigration officer do that?

20 years ago (in my younger and wilder days) I was rejected at Manila airport and immediately deported - but I brought it on myself - I was tired and I responded sarcastically to one of the immigration officer's questions - I put him down.

Graexx

Koki Aki would have my vote for Tourism Minister of Thailand. This guy gets it! He understands like no Thai is capable of understanding because of their inbred sense of self-importance and unmerited pride. He very aptly described the Thainess that the rest of the world sees when they come here. Unfortunately what he has to say will fall on deaf ears here in amazing Thailand.

Well, if he can cause enough embarrassment to the nation or the government, something might be done. Maybe. But, will those changes last? It is a good and healthy thing for men like this to create posts and bring these things to people's attention. He is actually doing the nation a service, by pushing for positive change. Change here does not come from within, it comes from outside.

The first time I came to Thailand 25 years ago it was a lot wilder at the airport (and also in Bangkok generally) than now. But I thought it was a fascinating experience. I think there's little risk of getting caught up in any significant rip-offs if you don't respond to any unsolicited approaches (from touts) anywhere.

In my first 5 years or so of travelling to Thailand on holidays I got caught in about six rip-offs (I was adventurous) - but none of them cost me more than about $150 (each time). Compare that to the MUCH higher cost of everything in developed countries.

I see it as a matter of accepting the good with the bad i.e. Thailand has a lot of sun, fun, adventure and excitement, but, on the downside, you occasionally get stung by the cultural differences - if you don't accept it, you're in for a fairly rough and frustrating ride.

I am quite struck by the comment (above) in which the immigration officer apparently threw the farang's passport on the floor - maybe it did happen, but did the farang do or say something to provoke this? Because why would an immigration officer do that?

20 years ago (in my younger and wilder days) I was rejected at Manila airport and immediately deported - but I brought it on myself - I was tired and I responded sarcastically to one of the immigration officer's questions - I put him down.

Graexx

While people should be respectful to others that goes two ways.

It is never acceptable to throw someones passport on the floor or deport someone because they were sarcastic.

Every job has it's rough and smooth, officials should be able to cope with both in a rational manner.

At least you know it doesn't get any worse once you leave the airport.

As long as you:

Don't object to any Thai person about being ripped-off in a raised voice, no matter how badly you've been treated, as you might invite violence from this person or another within earshot.

Don't get in any altercation with any Thai male over the age of 10 or you may well invite an attack by numerous Thai males which may lead to sever bodily injury or death, but little or no consequences for the attackers (never single).

Don't get within 50 meters of a Thai cop or he may decide to prey on you.

Don't drink anything out of an open container.

Don't get near any ladyboys if you can help it.

Don't get in an altercation with a taxi driver (word from a long-term expat is there are many unreported murders of falang with tire irons, the bodies found dumped in the outskirts of Bangkok).

Don't get too close to overly-friendly Thai males, balconies, or the combination when drunk.

Don't go to Koh Tao alone or if you're female and don't look ugly in a bikini

Don't.....I'm sure others can add to the list.

Otherwise, enjoy your stay in the Land of Crocodile Smiles!