Reusing Existing House Bricks in Exterior Wall

Hi,

Question for people in the know.

We recently had 2,5 Rai transferred to us (Yesterday in a day, was pretty quick and pain free), anyway there is currently a 20 x 16 meter house and 4 car garage on the land, we are ultimately building a modern house on the land (going through the motions now) at the rear of the lot, yet we have the problem whereby we have this house in front of us and like other properties we own, we like a landscaped garden.

So we know the house has to go, ultimately it would cost at least 1.5 m to do it up and we would or rather see no benefit in this and selling it on so it leaves us with the only option in Knocking it down.

Now my question is can we re-use the bricks from the structure (even broken in to odd shapes) in the exterior parameter wall which will save us a small fortune.

We understand it will not look even however ultimately the wall is then covered so it does not matter about the shaping, but what does is the structural side, we dont want to do this and fnd it collapse.

So the question is can bricks be reused for a parameter wall, has anyone done this, and are there any examples.

It's certainly a big thing in the UK, we like the look of old bricks (OK. some of us do). Interesting article here http://homeguides.sfgate.com/reuse-brick-wall-35282.html

Whether re-using a Thai wall, with its small bricks and thick mortar, is practical or cost-effective is another thing.

Is the house definitely brick or has block been used for some walls (no chance of recovering the blocks)?

Hi , not too concerned about unbroken as it can be rendered later. Concern is about structural.

After all most castles etc are built using odd shaped material - so I fathom this would or rather should be possible and likely save is 200+k

But looking to see if anyone else has done this previously.

Hi , not too concerned about unbroken as it can be rendered later. Concern is about structural.

After all most castles etc are built using odd shaped material - so I fathom this would or rather should be possible and likely save is 200+k

But looking to see if anyone else has done this previously.

Not so sure about saving 200+k....red brick cost about 1 baht each and q-con about 20 baht each. Any savings you get by trying to save the old brick may be eaten up by the labor to salvage and reuse.

AND most red brick used here in Thailand is nothing like the redbrick used in the west....much cheaper quality.

Edited by beachproperty

Apologies, i am talking of Blocks (Grey blocks) not red bricks

Personally, as someone else pointed out, grey blocks not worth saving.

Structually most homes are supported by post and beam construction....walls are generally non-bearing so if you want to put broken brick as walls and render over it ...you can..

but as said ...really not saving much....especially not 200+k baht.whistling.gif

As far as I know, at the moment a new concrete block would cost ฿5.5 per unit. Using string lines means that they can be laid quickly and cheaply. Reclaimed blocks would require all the old mortar cleaned off (or at least some of it). The blocks over here are hollow and anything other than a small tap with a hammer or bolster chisel will render the block to a pile of dust. Laying broken blocks would be a painstakingly long and laborious process. Labour costs would skyrocket!

A garden wall is not a structural item so no problems on the strength of the finished work. The time taken to even dismantle and stack the materials will far surpass, in cost and time, any saving that can be made by re-using them.

Far better to clear the old house completely and start with new materials. Subsidise the cost of clearing by selling the old materials to a local who can re-use or sell them on.

• Like 2

If they did the wall correctly there would be rebar and core fill in block but I do not think they did that. hopefully I am wrong.

Why would anyone put rebar in a wall that has no load bearing?

They might do that to prevent lateral forces (drunken drivers, people with pickaxes, etc) from easily demolishing the wall.

If they did the wall correctly there would be rebar and core fill in block but I do not think they did that. hopefully I am wrong.

Why would anyone put rebar in a wall that has no load bearing?

They might do that to prevent lateral forces (drunken drivers, people with pickaxes, etc) from easily demolishing the wall.

I think Todd was talking about the house walls, not the perimeter wall.

Yea, the house walls would have rebar in concrete about half way up. The blocks for walls are so thin here, 70mm or thereabouts, they need some stability to stop them falling over if someone leans on them. Also around windows and doors. House walls either block or brick are not structural in Thailand, merely infill.

I know this thread is about re-using rubble from demolishing the existing house .....BUT since you have 2 and 1/2 Rai (plenty of room for 2 homes)

why not paint it, do the minimum fix up to it (maybe repair roof, replace some tiles, etc) ...could probably do for a few hundred thousand baht at MAX ....and low and behold you have a place to stay while you build your new home and later you have a guest house or rental..

Just a thoughtwai.gif

• Like 1