Is Jatujak Weekend Market Closing For Good?

Zen

I don't particularly like the weekend market and I usually avoid it, but when I have guests in town they really enjoy going there (and once I am there, I must admit it's not as bad as I thought).

I just hope it's not to make room for a new shopping center!

Why is Suan Lum Night Bazzar gonna close? I thought they were doing well?

Yes it is. However it seems that the lease on the land was not renewed, someone else (I don't remember who) on this forum mentioned that people complained about the noise. Seems that now they are going to build some more new luxury apartments there.....like Bangkok doesn't have enough of them already standing empty!

no JJ is not scheduled to close ... nor is Suan Lum ... though rumors have been going around for ages thatSuan Lum will close ....)

Sorry jdinasia they aren't rumours. I read it in the BKK post a few months ago, I can't find the original article yet (but still searching) but did find this in the news section on Bangkok.com:

Suan Lum Night Bazaar: The final countdown

Yes, it's true. Suan Lum Night Bazaar, one of the favorite night-time shopping areas in Bangkok, is closing down to make way for a yet-to-be-announced new commercial development. Vendors at Suan Lum have been given notice to vacate the premises by the end of April 2007 if they want to avoid legal action. Owned by the Crown Property Bureau, the land is set to be used for a new development that will consist of office buildings, a retail and entertainment complex, as well as a residential development. The bidding process is currently underway, and the winning bid is to be announced in April next year. No announcement has yet been made whether the popular night market will be relocated to a different venue. The future of BEC Tero Hall, which is used for shows and exhibitions, as well as Thailand's only permanent puppet show, the Joe Louis Puppet Theatre, is also in jeopardy. Meanwhile, it was announced that the popular Lumpini Boxing Stadium, which is on the same land, will be relocated to a new modern venue.

and this from property-report.com

Shortlist for redeveloping Bangkok’s Suan Lum

TCC Land, Central Pattana and Sansiri are on the short list to win a bid for the management of a future mixed-use commercial development to replace the Suan Lum Night Bazaar on Rama IV, in Bangkok, according to a source who is close to the deal.

TCC Land, Central Pattana and Sansiri are on the short list to win a bid for the management of a future mixed-use commercial development to replace the Suan Lum Night Bazaar on Rama IV, in Bangkok, according to a source who is close to the deal.

The winner will be announced in April 2007. The project will call for an investment of up to Bt10 billion.

Earlier, seven property developers offered their proposals to develop the Suan Lum Night Bazaar into office buildings, retail areas, residential and entertainment complexes.

They included TCC Land, the property arm of beverage tycoon Charoen Siriwadhanabhakdi, Sansiri, Natural Park, Siam Piwan in partnership with MBK, Central Pattana, City Realty and the Maleenont Group.

The lease between P Con Development (Thai) - which developed the 120-rai plot on Rama IV into the Suan Lum Night Bazaar - and the Crown Property Bureau (CPB) expired on March 31, 2006.

The CPB has given shop leasers in Suan Lum Night Bazaar until the end of April 2007 to vacate. Legal action will be taken by the bureau if compliance is not met.

Chirayu Issarangkun Na Ayutthaya, director of the bureau said that the CPB´s policy was to develop its assets into profitable ventures and have a good relationship with its renters and the Bangkok community.

"Profit is not our goal," Chiraya said in an interview with the Bangkok Post. "We want to take part in developing communities which are located on our land and to pursue social goals. We had a plan to increase rental fees (in Suan Lum) to nearly the market level but now the cost of living increase following the oil price rise has caused us to adjust our rental fees lower than our target, depending on location and our renter´s income," he said.

Edited by moonoi

we'll see ....

i rather doubt Suan Lum will close <but I have been wrong scads of times in the past>

it was supposed to close every year since 2002 ... the land has not yet been re-leased by CPB though many people have tried to get in there.

sure hope it doesn't close! It is a great draw for both tourists and locals in the evening

a search on Thai Visa returns several threads all with newspaper articles over the years

ok Folks... since I am reading this thread, my interest in discovering such places has overgrown now.. hehehehe...

Where is this night market? how to get there? which station and by which train? also, what time they start and close at what time...?

thanks in advance! :o

Suan Lum Night Bazaar - Take the subway (MRT) to Lumpini. Follow the signs. Easy.

Worth getting there early (7.30 ish) at weekends as it gets busy later. Closes around midnight, the beer garden/food/shows carry on a bit longer at weekends.

Enjoy, especially if it is going to close.

I heard that they were gonna get rid of Suan Lum Night Bizare a while ago, but I kind of hoped it was just a rumour. It's a shame to read now that they are actually going to destroy such a vibrant and "diferent" venue for a night out with "retail and entertainment" (probably another shopping mall with Subway, mcDonalds, KFC etc etc and a cinema...) :o

I found the BKK Post article I originally read, its pretty much the same as what was said in the property-news.com report. I can't access the full story though as I'm not a member

Developers shortlisted for Suan Lum

Three leading property developers have been shortlisted to develop the 127-rai Suan Lum Night Bazaar site, according to the Crown Property Bureau.

There is also:

BEC-Tero seeks new concert site

BEC-Tero Entertainment Plc, a subsidiary of SET-listed BEC World Plc, is looking for a location to build a concert hall after the three-year land lease for its BEC-Tero Hall at Suan Lum Night Bazaar expires in March next year. Locations at RCA and Ratchadaphisek Road are possibilities, especially the former as it offers good transport links including a subway. BEC World also has 10 rai of land in the RCA area.

Category : TEXT/ Business News

Again I can't access the full story as I'm not a member of BKK Post Archives :o but seems that this time Suan Lum is closing for good end of April next year.

Edited by moonoi

:D Who's a troll?

Perhaps he is refering to himself? :o

Have to say its quite annoying the number of TV members that immediately call people a Troll. Seems to be a sport amongst them :D

Udon, if your going to call someone a troll then do it, but don't just enter a one word reply without qualifying your remark, it makes you look like a Troll

Have to say its quite annoying the number of TV members that immediately call people a Troll. Seems to be a sport amongst them :D

Its quite ######ing annoying that every thread seems to be hijacked by the "is this a troll debate?" The guy only asked if JJ market is closing for gods sake. What a way to welcome new members to the forum. :D

Its quite ######ing annoying that every thread seems to be hijacked by the "is this a troll debate?" The guy only asked if JJ market is closing for gods sake. What a way to welcome new members to the forum. :D

Indeed, I'd go so far as to say does it really matter if someone makes a Troll post or not. Even if someone is trolling its still possible to get useful information out of other members (I mean those that don't jump on the "is this a troll debate") who respond to it with an honest answer according to the best of there knowledge.

Going back to the OP's question, I would agree a case of mistaken identity. Suam Lum has been rumoured to be closing for a long time and I have hear the Beer Garden is shut now ( :o ).

I would be very surprised if JJ market were to close anytime soon, its a great tourist draw, it turns over a huge amount of money every week from the locals alone and I've also noticed a lot more money being channeled into the businesses there, something I doubt would happen if it were rumoured to close soon. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

Troll.

Peculiar change coming over this website. A guy who asks a genuine question of interest is branded a troll for no good reason I can see, but no one says a word about a guy who kills a bunch of dogs and instructs others how to do the same.

If you find a post offensive please feel free to use the report button -- seen at the bottom of the post.

Sorry jdinasia they aren't rumours. I read it in the BKK post a few months ago, I can't find the original article yet (but still searching) but did find this in the news section on Bangkok.com:

doh, then it must be true.

Troll.

Peculiar change coming over this website. A guy who asks a genuine question of interest is branded a troll for no good reason I can see, but no one says a word about a guy who kills a bunch of dogs and instructs others how to do the same.

:o:D They are moving it to the "old airport" :D:D:D

Troll.

i couldn't even make out WHO was being called a troll .....and by a former --

I actually buy wholesaqle from there and the lady told me a few months ago that the PM's wife is building some big building and wants parts of it close or maybe all of it closed when its built, she says there is no date yet

Visited Suan Lum Night Bazaar last week and one of the sellers said that they had to be out by the end of this month...big problem as to where to relocate. Lots of stuff being discounted for quick sale.

doh, then it must be true.

If you noticed I also provided links to other sources as well. :o