large ATM withdrawals, can they be done at a bank counter?

hello, I am thinking of doing some $1000 ATM withdrawals, around Asoke, I'm looking for ATMs, that are in a reasonably secure spot, I guess at Terminal 21 basement, they are sort of inside a bank room, with a ?guard?.

just curious if ATM withdrawals can be done at a Bangkok Bank counter for a USA Bank ATM withdrawal/ suggestions in general...

eg I may end up just putting the ATM money right into my Bangkok Bank account right after I withdrawal it, etc. thx

You could try Citibank over the road from Terminal 21 at the bottom of the Interchange building - they have a load of ATMs in a room which always seem to have a member of staff supervising them.

However, CitiBank will only provide over the counter services to you if you have a CitiBank account (ie: credit card).

No CitiBank account, no service. You can use their atms though.

You can do "counter withdrawals" which what I think you meant by your initial post. They may allow you to do that, some branches will force you to go outside and do regular ATM withdrawals, but if they will allow it you will be required to show your passport but will be limited to the amount of foreign currency your home bank allows for merchandise, which is usually higher than cash per day

You don't say how many $1000's you need so you will have to figure out how much you want exactly and how much it will cost using ATM in Thailand which will cost you 180THB per " pull ". Bangkok Bank will give you a maximum of 25,000 THB per pull, other banks will give you up to 30,000 THB per pull for your 180 THB fee. So once you determine how much you need then you will be in a better position to determine if a counter withdrawal, ATM withdrawal, or International Wire transfer is your cheapest option

As far as you second post regarding reimbursed fees, there is no charge for counter withdrawals, and those of us who use a fee reimbursed ATM card, usually spread it around to several banks to prevent the reimbursing banks from stopping the reimbursing, which they will do if the system is abused

You could try Citibank over the road from Terminal 21 at the bottom of the Interchange building - they have a load of ATMs in a room which always seem to have a member of staff supervising them.

However, CitiBank will only provide over the counter services to you if you have a CitiBank account (ie: credit card).

No CitiBank account, no service. You can use their atms though.

It was the ATMs I was referring to.

I am at a loss at many of these replies. I have a Bangkok Bank savings account. Making sure that I have the money on my account, I went into my branch with the bankbook and asked for ฿400 000.- I got it. What's to think about? Maybe the OP has a dodgy visa, doesn't matter, they just want to verify your identity.

I am at a loss at many of these replies. I have a Bangkok Bank savings account. Making sure that I have the money on my account, I went into my branch with the bankbook and asked for ฿400 000.- I got it. What's to think about? Maybe the OP has a dodgy visa, doesn't matter, they just want to verify your identity.

@cooked, In your case the money is already in the your Bangkok Bank account, but first you had to get money to put money into your Bangkok Bank account like using a wire/SWIFT transfer, counter withdrawal using your foreign card, or ATM withdrawal using your foreign card. The OP is asking about how to get some money using his "foreign" card; not his Thai bank passbook or debit card.

@chubby, I think Langsuan Man's post pretty much covered it. Plus I think you said in earlier post you had got a no foreign transaction fee Schwab debit card which means you can withdrawal $1,000 per day from an ATM or doing a counter withdrawal....and if you use the ATM Schwab will reimburse the Bt180 fee at the close of your monthly cycle. Just use an ATM in any mall or at a bank branch. If wanting to pull up Bt30K per withdrawal I know TMB and Krungsri ATM allow that much and they both charge the Bt180 foreign card fee....better than using another bank/AEON ATM that only allow Bt20K or Bt25K with the Bt180 fee. I wouldn't worry too much about using a ATM that has a guard standing close by simply because if you are worried about carrying around a lot of cash, well, that security guard is not going to be able to help prevent robbery after you leave the ATM area. If I remember right you have a Bangkok Bank account also, so just deposit the funds you withdraw with your foreign card right into your Bangkok Bank account and then use your Bangkok Bank debit card to withdraw funds as needed. And I just remembered, you also have a PenFed Promise credit card (no cash advance or foreign transaction fee) which allows up to $2,000 per day via counter withdrawal...and as you know Thai banks don't charge a fee like the Bt180 ATM fee for a counter withdrawal....I do it all the time with a couple of my PenFed credit cards. But remember the interest starts accumulating from day one of the cash advance so you should log onto your PenFed account and pay off the advance same day with an advance payment in full via an ACH pull---hopefully you have those ACH links setup already. Just take your PenFed Promise credit card to your Bangkok Bank branch (or any Bangkok Bank really as long as its a full branch vs some little 2 or 3 person outlet in a mall which usually won't do cash advances) with your passport, say you want a cash advance and deposit that advance into your Bangkok Bank account.....I've been doing this for almost a year now with my PenFed cards (and not at my home branch...just a nearby full branch which does happen to be in a mall), not one stang/penny paid in fees anywhere along the line, and since I make a card payment in full same day no interest. You are already setup...just go use your Schwab debit and/or PenFed credit card. Just as additional info, here's a partial quote from a PenFed Customer Rep email where I asked about the cash advance daily limit.

Members may take a cash advance from their credit card via one of the following

methods:

-Advance into their PenFed checking, share, or Money Market Savings Account

-Advance from an ATM;

- Advance at a Financial Institution;

Members are allowed a total of 3 cash advance authorizations per day, not to exceed each method's daily limit. The maximum cash advance amount per day for all methods combined is $5,000.

Members may advance up to $5,000 into a checking, share, or Money Market Savings Account.

A member may do a cash advance withdraw up to $1,000 per day from a ATM.

A member may withdraw up to $2,000 per day from a financial institution.

Just go do it...stop worrying about getting money...use the U.S. cards you already have...enjoy your couple months stay.

i need some cash to start with, hence the ATM, later, will try the penfed , when i have a secure line/inet, which will take a few days, etc.

just asking about the ATM at a counter , was all was asking , dumb question , oh well.

but, on a side note, if you were to visit Laos or Vietnam, do you just carry bank notes, or do you/can you buy ?travellers check @ BBL, for example?

@cooked, In your case the money is already in the your Bangkok Bank account, but first you had to get money to put money into your Bangkok Bank account like using a wire/SWIFT transfer, counter withdrawal using your foreign card, or ATM withdrawal using your foreign card. The OP is asking about how to get some money using his "foreign" card; not his Thai bank passbook or debit card.

@chubby, I think Langsuan Man's post pretty much covered it. Plus I think you said in earlier post you had got a no foreign transaction fee Schwab debit card which means you can withdrawal $1,000 per day from an ATM or doing a counter withdrawal....and if you use the ATM Schwab will reimburse the Bt180 fee at the close of your monthly cycle. Just use an ATM in any mall or at a bank branch. If wanting to pull up Bt30K per withdrawal I know TMB and Krungsri ATM allow that much and they both charge the Bt180 foreign card fee....better than using another bank/AEON ATM that only allow Bt20K or Bt25K with the Bt180 fee. I wouldn't worry too much about using a ATM that has a guard standing close by simply because if you are worried about carrying around a lot of cash, well, that security guard is not going to be able to help prevent robbery after you leave the ATM area. If I remember right you have a Bangkok Bank account also, so just deposit the funds you withdraw with your foreign card right into your Bangkok Bank account and then use your Bangkok Bank debit card to withdraw funds as needed. And I just remembered, you also have a PenFed Promise credit card (no cash advance or foreign transaction fee) which allows up to $2,000 per day via counter withdrawal...and as you know Thai banks don't charge a fee like the Bt180 ATM fee for a counter withdrawal....I do it all the time with a couple of my PenFed credit cards. But remember the interest starts accumulating from day one of the cash advance so you should log onto your PenFed account and pay off the advance same day with an advance payment in full via an ACH pull---hopefully you have those ACH links setup already. Just take your PenFed Promise credit card to your Bangkok Bank branch (or any Bangkok Bank really as long as its a full branch vs some little 2 or 3 person outlet in a mall which usually won't do cash advances) with your passport, say you want a cash advance and deposit that advance into your Bangkok Bank account.....I've been doing this for almost a year now with my PenFed cards (and not at my home branch...just a nearby full branch which does happen to be in a mall), not one stang/penny paid in fees anywhere along the line, and since I make a card payment in full same day no interest. You are already setup...just go use your Schwab debit and/or PenFed credit card. Just as additional info, here's a partial quote from a PenFed Customer Rep email where I asked about the cash advance daily limit.

methods:

-Advance from an ATM;

Members are allowed a total of 3 cash advance authorizations per day, not to exceed each method's daily limit. The maximum cash advance amount per day for all methods combined is $5,000.

Members may advance up to $5,000 into a checking, share, or Money Market Savings Account.

Just go do it...stop worrying about getting money...use the U.S. cards you already have...enjoy your couple months stay.

you can use debit cards for 'counter advances' or just credit cards?

i've been thinking it can only be done with credit cards.

i need some cash to start with, hence the ATM, later, will try the penfed , when i have a secure line/inet, which will take a few days, etc.

just asking about the ATM at a counter , was all was asking , dumb question , oh well.

but, on a side note, if you were to visit Laos or Vietnam, do you just carry bank notes, or do you/can you buy ?travellers check @ BBL, for example?

methods:

-Advance from an ATM;

My bank limits me to a daily amount...and it is below 1000 usd. More like 600. Actually, that helps more than hurts. I was forced to find a convenient way to get money here.... now I do it without an ATM card....just use XE convert to baht and it gets here in 10 days. I have not tried it with more than 3000 usd at a time.... The cost is 21 dollars...I think you can do quite a big sum, if you had to. You are taking a hit on fees and baht rate....at the atm.

XE takes 10 days or so. I work a month in advance...so i am good with that. I can lock in my rate at the day of purchase.

Edited by slipperylobster

It varies from branch to branch as to what they will accept....some accept both debit or credit cards; some only credit cards. For example the Bangkok Bank branch I use over here in western Bangkok will not accept a debit card but gladly accept a credit card. For a debit card they just point a person to their ATM machine. Well, let me rephrase that, the branch I use would "not" accept a debit card about a year ago when I first started doing counter withdrawals...they just said no to my Schwab debit card...not only the teller I asked but the manager she called over to confirm. They just pointed to the word "debit" on the card, said no counter withdrawals, pointed to the ATM...but they also said no problem for credit cards. So I been using my PenFed credit card since at least a dozen time and since it allows $2,000/day via counter withdrawal vs the Schwab debit $1,000 limit, it actually worked out better I guess. And if I really wanted to after doing that counter withdrawal with a PenFed card I could stick the same card in an ATM and get $1,000 more for that day, but I wouldn't get reimbursed the ATM Bt180 fee with the PenFed card. I now have two PenFed credit cards which means I could do $4,000/day in counter withdrawals but I don't know if I want to spring two different cards on a branch at once because they may think something fishy is going on. Plus, I just combine the money from that credit card cash advance with two other no foreign transaction fee debit cards which also reimburse ATM fees to easily meet my day to day living needs. I haven't done a wire/ACH transfers in years...and I have paid any transfer fees in years either with my no foreign transaction fee cards...money immediately in-hand at the Visa exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang the Thai bnak TT Buying rate used for wire transfers. Some day the fee-free times may end due to my banksters on the Thai and/or U.S. sides not being able to stand anyone getting a service for free...but until them.

Just go to a branch an try your debit or credit card...if they won't accept the debit card, then try the credit card. Even when a Thai bank does a counter withdrawal/cash advance with a "debit/credit card" and although they don't charge a fee like their Bt180 ATM fee, they still collect a card network "interchange" fee from "your home country bank" of $1.75 + 0.33% of amount withdrawal which for example would amount to $5.05 (about Bt165) on a $1,000 international counter withdrawal. This fee is not charged to you for a no foreign transaction fee card like you have. So, the Thai bank is still making a fee...do not ever feel sorry for a bankster.

i've been thinking it can only be done with credit cards.

@chubby, I think Langsuan Man's post pretty much covered it. Plus I think you said in earlier post you had got a no foreign transaction fee Schwab debit card which means you can withdrawal $1,000 per day from an ATM or doing a counter withdrawal....and if you use the ATM Schwab will reimburse the Bt180 fee at the close of your monthly cycle. Just use an ATM in any mall or at a bank branch. If wanting to pull up Bt30K per withdrawal I know TMB and Krungsri ATM allow that much and they both charge the Bt180 foreign card fee....better than using another bank/AEON ATM that only allow Bt20K or Bt25K with the Bt180 fee. I wouldn't worry too much about using a ATM that has a guard standing close by simply because if you are worried about carrying around a lot of cash, well, that security guard is not going to be able to help prev ent robbery after you leave the ATM area. If I remember right you have a Bangkok Bank account also, so just deposit the funds you withdraw with your foreign card right into your Bangkok Bank account and then use your Bangkok Bank debit card to withdraw funds as needed. And I just remembered, you also have a PenFed Promise credit card (no cash advance or foreign transaction fee) which allows up to $2,000 per day via counter withdrawal...and as you know Thai banks don't charge a fee like the Bt180 ATM fee for a counter withdrawal....I do it all the time with a couple of my PenFed credit cards. But remember the interest starts accumulating from day one of the cash advance so you should log onto your PenFed account and pay off the advance same day with an advance payment in full via an ACH pull---hopefully you have those ACH links setup already. Just take your PenFed Promise credit card to your Bangkok Bank branch (or any Bangkok Bank really as long as its a full branch vs some little 2 or 3 person outlet in a mall which usually won't do cash advances) with your passport, say you want a cash advance and deposit that advance into your Bangkok Bank account.....I've been doing this for almost a year now with my PenFed cards (and not at my home branch...just a nearby full branch which does happen to be in a mall), not one stang/penny paid in fees anywhere along the line, and since I make a card payment in full same day no interest. You are already setup...just go use your Schwab debit and/or PenFed credit card. Just as additional info, here's a partial quote from a PenFed Customer Rep email where I asked about the cash advance daily limit.

methods:

-Advance from an ATM;

SCB used to do counter advances against debit cards, but the word came from on high this month that they will only do credit card advances, which are quite costly. So, I went to my local Bangkok Bank, where the debit card and copy of my passport was goood enough for a 70k baht withdrawal.

1) I just don't get the concept of an 'advance' against a checking account(debit card). As it is not revolving credit, I suppose it would be for people, who don't have enough in a checking account, so need to 'overdraw', or they will be 'overdrawn' if they don't immediately fund the checking account ? In general, this situation, would result in a 'bounced check' situation, with high fees, etc. ; So, let's say I am able, and Do use Schwab for an amount I DO have at Schwab, if it is just debited , seems just like an ATM withdrawal to me, or what am I missing?

2)for your PFCU, what do you use for your Visa exchange rate calculation? xe.org ?

3)could you PM me, what are the 3 no FTF debit cards you have, or post, I bet one is your military CU, Schwab and

It varies from branch to branch as to what they will accept....some accept both debit or credit cards; some only credit cards. For example the Bangkok Bank branch I use over here in western Bangkok will not accept a debit card but gladly accept a credit card. For a debit card they just point a person to their ATM machine. Well, let me rephrase that, the branch I use would "not" accept a debit card about a year ago when I first started doing counter withdrawals...they just said no to my Schwab debit card...not only the teller I asked but the manager she called over to confirm. They just pointed to the word "debit" on the card, said no counter withdrawals, pointed to the ATM...but they also said no problem for credit cards. So I been using my PenFed credit card since at least a dozen time and since it allows $2,000/day via counter withdrawal vs the Schwab debit $1,000 limit, it actually worked out better I guess. And if I really wanted to after doing that counter withdrawal with a PenFed card I could stick the same card in an ATM and get $1,000 more for that day, but I wouldn't get reimbursed the ATM Bt180 fee with the PenFed card. I now have two PenFed credit cards which means I could do $4,000/day in counter withdrawals but I don't know if I want to spring two different cards on a branch at once because they may think something fishy is going on. Plus, I just combine the money from that credit card cash advance with two other no foreign transaction fee debit cards which also reimburse ATM fees to easily meet my day to day living needs. I haven't done a wire/ACH transfers in years...and I have paid any transfer fees in years either with my no foreign transaction fee cards...money immediately in-hand at the Visa exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang the Thai bnak TT Buying rate used for wire transfers. Some day the fee-free times may end due to my banksters on the Thai and/or U.S. sides not being able to stand anyone getting a service for free...but until them.

Just go to a branch an try your debit or credit card...if they won't accept the debit card, then try the credit card. Even when a Thai bank does a counter withdrawal/cash advance with a "debit/credit card" and although they don't charge a fee like their Bt180 ATM fee, they still collect a card network "interchange" fee from "your home country bank" of $1.75 + 0.33% of amount withdrawal which for example would amount to $5.05 (about Bt165) on a $1,000 international counter withdrawal. This fee is not charged to you for a no foreign transaction fee card like you have. So, the Thai bank is still making a fee...do not ever feel sorry for a bankster.

Just say cash advance or withdrawal when you hand the teller your card...be it debit or credit card...the teller will know what you want to do.

If using your debit card your bank account must have enough in it to cover the amount otherwise it will reject unless maybe you have overdraft protection.

If using a credit card then the cash advance terminology fits as you are truly getting cash against your line of credit.

You will get the Visa exchange rate whether using credit or debit card.

Slightly off topic but just to clarify, Bangkok Bank certainly do check the visa, I needed to replace my ATM card and when the staff checked the visa I had 2 days overstay. They would not re-issue my card until I returned a couple of days later with a valid visa.

I'll try the Schwab Debit counter withdrawal, at the Asoke BKK Bank Exchange Tower 1st, for fun, and let you know, how it goes.

I'm wondering if Cap One360 (capitalone bank, ex-ING) , would have debit fees for counter withdrawals/ATMs, if happen to know, think for the ATM, part I can go read the small print on FTFs.....

what type visa are you on.

some years ago, i set this one up on a tourist visa, that's what i'll have this time, hopefully, that won't effect their willingness, to do a counter-withdrawal, shouldn't think it would?

Slightly off topic but just to clarify, Bangkok Bank certainly do check the visa, I needed to replace my ATM card and when the staff checked the visa I had 2 days overstay. They would not re-issue my card until I returned a couple of days later with a valid visa.

I have a Mastercard debit card. I just looked and it does not say debit anywhere on the card. I just go inside Bangkok Band and they give me any amount I ask for as long as I have it in the account.

My wife also has a card as its a joint account in the US, but they wont allow her to withdraw funds because they require a passport and hers expired 20 years ago. Shes Thai and I thought her ID card would be ok?

I'll try the Schwab Debit counter withdrawal, at the Asoke BKK Bank Exchange Tower 1st, for fun, and let you know, how it goes.

I'm wondering if Cap One360 (capitalone bank, ex-ING) , would have debit fees for counter withdrawals/ATMs, if happen to know, think for the ATM, part I can go read the small print on FTFs.....

Yeap, always best to know the fine print regarding the accounts/cards a person has. And sometimes in the docs given for an account/card, all the fine print may not be in print. That is, you have to pose the question to your bank's customer service to find out the answer. Example: Like regarding the cash advance per day amount relating to my PenFed credit cards is "not" in any of their docs...I've had to get the info from PenFed customer service by ibanking email. I have asked the question twice...shortly after getting each card and different reps answered with the same answer....the limits info I gave earlier.

Can't speak to CapOne360 as I don't have a bank account/debit card with them...just use their credit cards which I would never use for a cash advance because their cash advance fee is 3% compared to PenFed's 0%...both do not charge a foreign transaction fee.

• Like 1