Any tips on getting transport from the airport to my hotel ?

RichardThailand

I will arrive in Chang Mai today and would appreciate if anyone has any tips on how to get transport from the airport to my hotel which looks to be 10-15 minutes away by car.

Does the airport have taxis? Am I likely to encounter any problems with overcharging?

Any tips / advice would be much appreciated.

Go to the taxi counter at the exit, tell them where you're going, you'll be issued with a ticket and told the cost; wait outside, and the taxi will pick you up. If you have extra large baggage, best ask for a van as the LPG tanks take up a lot of space.

Oddly enough, Thailand's 2nd biggest city does have taxis, but they don't cruise the streets. you need to phone for these.

Public transport is almost entirely red van within the city area. ฿20.00

There's an Airport Taxi place immediately you come through the exit gates after collecting luggage.

Just state your destination to the girl and she will give you a slip to hand to one of the grey air con cabs.

Not expensive 120 baht up depending on location. No overcharging at all, very good service.

Don't bother with the meter taxis

It's been raised to 160 baht and up depending upon location for some months now.

There's an Airport Taxi place immediately you come through the exit gates after collecting luggage.

Just state your destination to the girl and she will give you a slip to hand to one of the grey air con cabs.

Not expensive 120 baht up depending on location. No overcharging at all, very good service.

It's been raised to 160 baht and up depending upon location for some months now.

Really, that's useful to know.

I always thought 120 baht was too cheap.

I believe you can get whats called a ' taxi '

You just open the door and hop in & tell the driver where you want to go.

He will then push the start button on the meter and when you reach your hotel just pay the metered fare and get out. coffee1.gif

In fact no, taxi's at CM airport can only be accessed by going to the taxi desk inside the airport, paying a 50 baht fee and showing the receipt for it to the taxi's waiting outside - the person who issues the receipt will ask your for your destination and write this on the receipt..

• Like 1

Echoing the above, the Airport Taxi / Airport Limo is a good deal. Suggest to take it over the meter taxi stand. Their booth has a counter both on the side where the luggage belts are as well as on the other side at Domestic Arrivals. There are similar counters on the International side, after walking into the arrivals area past customs.

Or you just walk out and grab a passing tuk tuk or 'Songthaew' Red Bus Pick-up, to save a few baht. (Not really worth it, but there are so many flights now that tuk tuks and red buses pass virtually continuously. Those would take you to your hotel for 60-80 Baht or so. Although I've also taken the regular shared Red Bus Songthaews into town for the regular 20 Baht though. (Sharing with other passengers.)

Anyway that just FYI; for a first arrival get the Airport Taxi from the counter and splurge the money. (I remember 120 too but a raise to 160 doesn't sound impossible.)

it's 160 baht increased a few months back. taxi meter and grey cars are the same price

When you come out of the sliding glass doors from the security check, collect your luggage and walk toward the north door, past all the other doors that go out onto the pickup/dropoff area in front of the airport. There will be a lady standing on the sidewalk holding a clipboard. She speaks good English. Tell where you're going and she'll tell you the fare. Now it's 160 baht to most in-town locations. She direct you to a driver who will take you to his vehicle and load your luggage. Entire process takes just a couple minutes.

It's very quick and easy. The vehicles are always clean and new. No haggling, waiting or feeling like you're being ripped off. You're taken straight-away to your destination. A very civilized way to arrive. You pay the driver when you arrive. You don't pay anyone at the airport with this service.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

You might want to check with your hotel as many of them have a free airport pick-up service.

I'd say most of them slap it on your bill in my experience, but it's usually not that much more than airport taxi rates.

If the OP really wants it easy, ask the hotel to pick you up, then a nice man will be waiting outside with a sign, ready to take your trolley off you and do the hard work while you stroll to the car.

Last time we came in, couple of months ago, we were quoted 200 baht to Rimping Condo at one taxi desk. Went to the one next to it and it was 160 (although the driver tried to get an extra 50 baht from us which ensured that he didn't get a tip). I thought they were supposed to be all the same price. Outbound we booked a taxi early morning and he charged 180 baht to the airport.

I wish they would either standardise the price or use meters. I really dislike having that awful feeling that we're being ripped off. Whatever the correct price is, I'll pay without complaint because that is what it costs, but who knows what the official price is?

• Like 1

Echoing the above, the Airport Taxi / Airport Limo is a good deal. Suggest to take it over the meter taxi stand. Their booth has a counter both on the side where the luggage belts are as well as on the other side at Domestic Arrivals. There are similar counters on the International side, after walking into the arrivals area past customs.

Or you just walk out and grab a passing tuk tuk or 'Songthaew' Red Bus Pick-up, to save a few baht. (Not really worth it, but there are so many flights now that tuk tuks and red buses pass virtually continuously. Those would take you to your hotel for 60-80 Baht or so. Although I've also taken the regular shared Red Bus Songthaews into town for the regular 20 Baht though. (Sharing with other passengers.)

Anyway that just FYI; for a first arrival get the Airport Taxi from the counter and splurge the money. (I remember 120 too but a raise to 160 doesn't sound impossible.)

thought i would go native,last i got back to cnx from a trip picked up red cab with a few passengers in only wanted to go huay kaew rd ended up going chiang mai gate tapae gate and finally ksk,never agian to try to save 100bht,lol.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When you come out of the sliding glass doors from the security check, collect your luggage and walk toward the north door, past all the other doors that go out onto the pickup/dropoff area in front of the airport. There will be a lady standing on the sidewalk holding a clipboard. She speaks good English. Tell where you're going and she'll tell you the fare. Now it's 160 baht to most in-town locations. She direct you to a driver who will take you to his vehicle and load your luggage. Entire process takes just a couple minutes.

It's very quick and easy. The vehicles are always clean and new. No haggling, waiting or feeling like you're being ripped off. You're taken straight-away to your destination. A very civilized way to arrive. You pay the driver when you arrive. You don't pay anyone at the airport with this service.

Exactly like this. No hassle at all.

Why don't they turn around and scream "YOU PAY 500!" like at Swampy?