Thai farm price index plunges 12%

webfact

Farm price index plunges 12%

BANGKOK: -- Farm product price index in December dropped 12% from November last year as the result of falling prices of rubber.

The Office of Agricultural Economics (OAE) secretary-general Lersak Rewtrakulpaiboon stated today that the index decreased by 12% because of the declining prices of some products such as rubber, chicken and eggs.

He said para rubber price fell as the world economy remains sluggish.

Meanwhile the global oil prices also declined while the prices of chicken and eggs were lower as a result of oversupply.

But he said prices of corn-based animal feed were higher, attributing to higher demand for corn, whereas the prices of pineapple, pork and palm oil went up as a result of low supplies.

He forecasted that the price index of farm products this month to be closer to that of December, given huge supplies of cassava, sugar cane and shallots are expected to saturate the market.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/farm-price-index-plunges-12

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-21

Farm product index fell in December

BANGKOK, 21 January 2015 (NNT)-The Office of Agricultural Economics (OAE) has said the farm product price index in December fell from that of November last year.

According to OAE Secretary General, Lersak Rewtrakulpaiboon, the index decreased by 12%. This is due to the declining prices of some products such as rubber, chicken and eggs.

The prices of para rubber fell as the world economy remains sluggish. The global oil prices also declined while the prices of chicken and eggs were lower as a result of oversupply.

However, prices of corn-based animal feed were higher thanks to higher demand for corn, whereas the prices of pineapple, pork and palm oil went up as a result of low supplies.

The OAE has forecast the price index of farm products this month to be closer to that of December, given huge supplies of cassava, sugar cane and shallots are expected to saturate the market.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-21 footer_n.gif

Well if farm commodities went down 12% in price, then the govt needs to provide a 24% subsidy. I'm sure there is some letter being drafted right now by some farmers organization requesting the govt provide the subsidy ASAP to maintain farmers' happiness.

• Like 2

You can bet the Junta is getting out its Chinese check book to make some more "gifts" to farmers. All in the name of happiness - that is being happy with the Junta's handling of the Thai economy. The Junta will accomplish an economic feat comparable to only a select number of countries like Greece: increase national debt while decreasing GDP.

I wonder if the Junta leaders in 20/20 hindsight wished they'd held off the coup until 2015. Then it could have blamed the failing economy on the PTP, then promised a recovery in 2016. As it is the Junta deserves FULL credit for its failings. Somehow 12 Values doesn't put food on the table nor pay household bills.

You can bet the Junta is getting out its Chinese check book to make some more "gifts" to farmers. All in the name of happiness - that is being happy with the Junta's handling of the Thai economy. The Junta will accomplish an economic feat comparable to only a select number of countries like Greece: increase national debt while decreasing GDP.

I wonder if the Junta leaders in 20/20 hindsight wished they'd held off the coup until 2015. Then it could have blamed the failing economy on the PTP, then promised a recovery in 2016. As it is the Junta deserves FULL credit for its failings. Somehow 12 Values doesn't put food on the table nor pay household bills.

So, what if next month we get figures on January showing the index was up again as prices for rubber have increased somewhat?

BTW what's with the Chinese cheque book? Here we have some budget reserved in the National Budget which may be used. There's also something like an emergency funds, but I don't see an emergency.

Your last paragraph is just some convoluted spin. As if you'd rather have this 'failing economy' under Pheu Thai, implying that would make people more happy and put food on their table or pays the bills. At the moment we still py the bills the Yingluck Government somehow never got around paying.

Edited by rubl

So, what if next month we get figures on January showing the index was up again as prices for rubber have increased somewhat?

BTW what's with the Chinese cheque book? Here we have some budget reserved in the National Budget which may be used. There's also something like an emergency funds, but I don't see an emergency.

Your last paragraph is just some convoluted spin. As if you'd rather have this 'failing economy' under Pheu Thai, implying that would make people more happy and put food on their table or pays the bills. At the moment we still py the bills the Yingluck Government somehow never got around paying.

do WE really now, i hope my wife's bill for 50 tons of rice delivered in December 2013 can finally be paid then.