British Consulate Chiang Mai to no longer offer notarial and documentary services

Jonathan Fairfield

I live in Chiang Rai and i got a letter from the UK pension service it was a Life Certificate to prove i am still alive and kicking,it said on the form to get it signed by any Professional person i did not want to go all the way to the British Consulate in Chiang Mai,so i went to my bank they said no in case there are are problems afterwards,so i said what problems it is just to prove that i am alive and living in Thailand,so next i went to the Police Station after about a hour of my passport being handed around they said the same thing so i went home thinking well i will just have to go to the consulate,then my school teacher friend said come with me he took me to my local hospital where for 70bht i was examined for high blood pressure and looked at my heart she said ok and the form was signed by a lady doctor in all of 15 minutes.

Although I live in Chiang Mai, my wife and I also have a house near Chiang Khong. I went to my local friendly bank manager (SCB) in CK but he was away that day. However, a senior clerkess there signed my Life Certificate without any questions, saying they did it almost every day.

I don't know why you got the response you did - it's a very common request.

It was never necessary to go to the Chiang Mai British Consulate for me.

United states citizens in Thailand are lucky. If you don't have a consulate, you have an outreach service who come to a town near you. Fees are lower also. And your children in Thailand will be supported by the government.

Wouldn't surprise me if next we have to go to Singapore for services. And no point in complaining - you may have a vote in elections but your postal vote will only arrive after it happens .....

The British government just consider us UK retirees living here a burden, and wishes we would just F*** off and die.

• Like 1

"The strategy commits us to providing a more professional, modern and streamlined service for British Nationals who require access to notarial and documentary services."

Absolute BS, as comment no. 19 says - such double-speak it would be harder to find - anywhere!

Making us send our pension statements, copy passport pages + having to go a Thai Post Office to buy a sodding money order for > 2,400 baht to pay for the damned letter, by very expensive EMS to BKK; and then having to wait 10 working days, at least (!), before we get the damned letter back to take to Immigration to renew our extension of stay!

Yeh! That's a really modern and streamlined service - my ass!!

I've always found the staff at the consulate here in CM very courteous and efficient, with the letter being ready the next day - nice and easy, but now what are they going to do? As others have said, unfortunately it would seem to herald the end of the consulate here.

There are thousands of Brits retired in the north of Thailand, not just in CM.

Are they going to increase the staff in BKK to cope with the flood of extra work they're going to have to take on board? I doubt it very much.

This is a pure cost-cutting exercise.

This is appalling - with all the additional pensioners coming here to retire to escape the crummy UK, thus relieving the UK govt of millions of pounds in support costs, such as the NHS and numerous Social Security benefits we could claim, they should be making the CM consulate a FULL consulate, like it used to be and like the US consulate is today.

Who are these bean counters in Whitehall? Unqualified, sycophantic morons it would appear. Certainly not anybody with the rudiments of economics or accounting.

• Like 1

Down here in the boonies we only had a Honary Consulate ... ie - part time unpaid volunteer. Really could do little other than visit UK inmates in Thai jails, offer advice, but nothing useful for the long stay Brits. I well remember the day a friend was cremated at the Patong Wat, the Hon Consul showed up, I thought that was nice, until he presented a bill to the grieving girl friend for a UK death certificate for a couple of thousand baht. Guy only showed to extract his money from the penniless g/f. The British Foreign Service at is best ... not....

Why not throw you hat into the ring and show everyone else how to do it?

Edited by evadgib

More money should be invested in the British Counsulate in Chiang Mai to give ex-pats a better service instead of wasting it on the British Council why reside next door to the Counsulate.

Wasting taxpayers money on these British Council education schemes and courses for Thais is ridiculous when British citizens are treated with contempt. Anyone who has to travel to Bangkok for these documentary services should claim traveling expences. Vote UKIP.

"The strategy commits us to providing a more professional, modern and streamlined service for British Nationals who require access to notarial and documentary services."

Absolute BS, as comment no. 19 says - such double-speak it would be harder to find - anywhere!

Making us send our pension statements, copy passport pages + having to go a Thai Post Office to buy a sodding money order for > 2,400 baht to pay for the damned letter, by very expensive EMS to BKK; and then having to wait 10 working days, at least (!), before we get the damned letter back to take to Immigration to renew our extension of stay!

I've always found the staff at the consulate here in CM very courteous and efficient, with the letter being ready the next day - nice and easy, but now what are they going to do? As others have said, unfortunately it would seem to herald the end of the consulate here.

Are they going to increase the staff in BKK to cope with the flood of extra work they're going to have to take on board? I doubt it very much.

This is appalling - with all the additional pensioners coming here to retire to escape the crummy UK, thus relieving the UK govt of millions of pounds in support costs, such as the NHS and numerous Social Security benefits we could claim, they should be making the CM consulate a FULL consulate, like it used to be and like the US consulate is today.

Who are these bean counters in Whitehall? Unqualified, sycophantic morons it would appear. Certainly not anybody with the rudiments of economics or accounting.

Agree, I too have always found Consular staff, helpful and convenient to get paperwork done and I will be sorry to see it go.I understand that the rent on the BC and Consul's tiny office is peanuts. The UK economy ,with its £90 billion debt-and growing- is now a basket case so unlikely the FCO will improve services to UK expats. Trade and aid is their top priority not service to its nationals. The UK's embassy in Bangkok is the pits in terms of service. They will hive off this work to their favoured private companies as it is more cost effective and that is the bottom line for a government desperate to get out of the quagmire of debt that it is now facing and likely to increase.

• Like 1

It is a wonder that the consulate found time to write the new directives, it must be awfully tiring and taxing all those tennis and cocktail parties. Surely they couldn't be doing anything else. And now it will be handled by Bangkok, where countless changes of staff and ambassadors over the years has seen an already appalling service in the early eighties get progressively worse until now it is non-existent. They don't even have the Ploenchit Fair there any more, perhaps the only reason to keep the grounds. Flog the real estate, recall all the staff to London, and we can just ask for "consular assistance" by post and be done with it. A right bunch of tossers.

Many years ago i found myself in Penang at the Thai consulate trying to get a stamp in my passport for a return to the kingdom. Unfortunately they were reluctant to stamp the only available page, the observations page. I appealed to the consul himself who said if i could contact his British counterpart in Kuala Lumpur for permission then he would gladly stamp it. I somehow managed to get the British consul on the phone who flatly refused to help and said i would have to travel to KL to organise a new passport. I related thus unpleasant exchange to the Thai consul who said : "in that case, sir, if the British refuse to help you then the Thai government will." He promptly authorised my visa stamp and consequently my love for my wonderful adopted homeland was confirmed and redoubled.

As in most things Britain 0 Thailand 1 (Britain, og)

The British Embassy's website has details of how to apply for consular services by post, including the pension/income letter for Thai immigration. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration It seems rather straightforward. A trip to Bangkok certainly isn't necessary. Apparently it's been possible to apply by post for some time, yet I understand that the British Consulate here does 4 or 5 such letters daily. You'd think the income from those activities alone would be enough to justify keeping the place open, but sadly that's not the way the British government looks at their "accounting".

Is anyone aware of an elderly, frail or invalid person who is definitely going to be negatively impacted by this change in policy? I've been assured by the Hon. British Consul (who will definitely continue in his role) that they'd like to know about people in these situations and will make special efforts to assist. Remember there is Lanna Care Net to assist the consular staff in situations like this.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

The 'Proof of Life Signature' baffles me as to why the Consular staff will/cannot sign.

It is only saying that You have signed the official document in their presance.

john

Personally I blame Maggie for selling off Her Majesty's Britannic Consulate building.

Agree, I too have always found Consular staff, helpful and convenient to get paperwork done and I will be sorry to see it go.I understand that the rent on the BC and Consul's tiny office is peanuts. The UK economy ,with its £90 billion debt-and growing- is now a basket case so unlikely the FCO will improve services to UK expats. Trade and aid is their top priority not service to its nationals. The UK's embassy in Bangkok is the pits in terms of service. They will hive off this work to their favoured private companies as it is more cost effective and that is the bottom line for a government desperate to get out of the quagmire of debt that it is now facing and likely to increase.

Annual UK Gov.borrowing is £80bn.

The Centre for Policy Studies argues that the real national debt was actually £1,340 billion (couple of years ago) and estimates now at @ 1.5 Trillion with again estimates .....if we don't do anything about it...by 2020....= 2.0 Trillion Quid (pounds).......O well coffee time again....

Annual UK Gov.borrowing is £80bn.

The Centre for Policy Studies argues that the real national debt was actually £1,340 billion (couple of years ago) and estimates now at @ 1.5 Trillion with again estimates .....if we don't do anything about it...by 2020....= 2.0 Trillion Quid (pounds).......O well coffee time again....

Couldn't the British Government help its citizens the way it helped greedy and corrupt bankers? Sorry, just being silly, Western governments are no longer 'for the people'.

I believe the consulate and teaching centre are heavily subsidized by the British Government. If a manager with real service-industry business experience was employed as the country director, rather than academics, the operation would become more effective in servicing its citizens' needs across the country without the need of a subsidy. Any service-industry business (the consulate is run as a business) that has a monopoly on a particular service really should not need to rely on subsidies. Sack the current management, not reduce consular services.

Edited by Loaded

The British Embassy's website has details of how to apply for consular services by post, including the pension/income letter for Thai immigration. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration It seems rather straightforward. A trip to Bangkok certainly isn't necessary. Apparently it's been possible to apply by post for some time, yet I understand that the British Consulate here does 4 or 5 such letters daily. You'd think the income from those activities alone would be enough to justify keeping the place open, but sadly that's not the way the British government looks at their "accounting".

Is anyone aware of an elderly, frail or invalid person who is definitely going to be negatively impacted by this change in policy? I've been assured by the Hon. British Consul (who will definitely continue in his role) that they'd like to know about people in these situations and will make special efforts to assist. Remember there is Lanna Care Net to assist the consular staff in situations like this.

most uk guys understand the new procedure on income letters,but it was nice and convient to be able to do it locally,just a pain in the bum now.times are changing,times are changing,and for british expats fast as well.

Well said Paulchiangmai.A very good post.All these Britain-bashers should get their own house in order before criticising a well organised country with a great civil service and infra structure.Maybe deep down you are jealous of us.

• Like 2

Well said Paulchiangmai.A very good post.All these Britain-bashers should get their own house in order before criticising a well organised country with a great civil service and infra structure.Maybe deep down you are jealous of us.

When did you last win a FIFA WC.whistling.gif

The 'Proof of Life Signature' baffles me as to why the Consular staff will/cannot sign.

It is only saying that You have signed the official document in their presance.

john

Personally I blame Maggie for selling off Her Majesty's Britannic Consulate building.

The list of eligible signatories is as per those that can sign passport photos. On seeing the list a friend recently remarked "Just about anyone can do it. it's almost impossible to not find someone that isn't on that list!"

HTH

I have heard from a very good source that the Australian honourary consulate will no longer be offering notarial services either

This means that any Australian national here needing an official letter for any purpose must contact the Embassy in Bangkok direct. It is thought that in many cases they will need to visit the Embassy personally, whether or not they have mobility or other problems.
Please do not confuse this new restriction with the identical change affecting the British Consulate of Chiang Mai, which was formally announced a few days ago.
Edited by LadyHeather

I have heard from a very good source that the Australian honourary consulate will no longer be offering notarial services either

This means that any Australian national here needing an official letter for any purpose must contact the Embassy in Bangkok direct. It is thought that in many cases they will need to visit the Embassy personally, whether or not they have mobility or other problems.

Please do not confuse this new restriction with the identical change affecting the British Consulate of Chiang Mai, which was formally announced a few days ago.

they have never ever offered notarial services full stop. at aussie counsulate chiang mai.
  • Like 1

They should just get on and close it... It does nothing anyway, save the money!

OR, make it useful again!

I guess this is on the cards. It is obvious the FCO are winding it down. I can`t think of any reason why I would need to visit the Chiang Mai British Consulate anymore. They no longer assist with passport applications and now they ceased issuing letters and statements I cannot see how the consulate would be of any use to both ex-pats or British tourists, so they may just as well close it down completely and have done with it.

Well obviously that's the plan. I read, a couple of years ago, that the visa & notary section of the of the Brit embassy in BKK made £500,000 profit - not bad for a non profit making institution. Now that profit can be increased if they close the Chang Mai consulate.