Fish

First of all, sorry about the quality of the pics (taken from camera phone).

Mrs BoJ has 4 Goldfish, the Fan tail kind, which she loves to bits. She is now getting worried about one of them, as after the fish has finished a hard day's work :o it floats around at the top of the tank...upside down :D and sometimes it drops to the bottom, like a rock.

If you go near it, it turns over and seems to swim away happily enough. I think. Is there something wrong with it, if so, can we do anything? Or is it quite common and nothing to bother about.

Many thanks :D

post-19542-1155900292_thumb.jpg

post-19542-1155900328_thumb.jpg

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ailment1.htm

Swim Bladder-

Swim or air bladder problems sometimes occur in freshwater fish. I have personally seen this is fancy goldfish such as Orandas, Ryunkins, and Shubunkins. When the bladder is effected, the fish will experience equilibrium problems. Sometimes, the problem is not the bladder but other problems which directly affect the bladder. Diseased and inflamed internal organs, improper water conditions or nutrition, and wounds received from fighting with another fish can also effect the equilibrium of the fish. Constipation is also known to affect a fish's swimming ability!

Symptoms:

The fish has problems swimming correctly. They may appear to be standing on their head, or floating to the surface and struggling to go down to the bottom, or possibly even have problems removing themselves from the bottom. At the later stages of the disease, the fish could lose its balance and swim upside down.

Treatment:

There is no specific treatment for this dilemma;however, you can try isolating the fish to a quarantine tank in which the water is shallow(this provides relief for the fish). Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. Some individuals will feed thawed out frozen peas and this purges the fish's system and has been noted to help many fish. After 1-2 weeks a return to the main tank with deeper water may be tried. The best advice I can give is to maintain proper water conditions, feed your fish a well balanced diet, and possibly try feeding your goldfish sinking foods rather than floating types. They won't inhale so much air this way. The pellets if soaked in water before feeding will expand before the fish eats them and this has helped a lot. Good luck with this!! Check out http://www.koivet.com

Thanks Bambi and Mr Jones. It looks like the poor fella doesn't have long to go then :D Mrs BoJ will be upset about that. I think she thought it was pregnant :o

It does seem to be eating ok at the moment, so i'll try the sinking pellets.

Bambi, could you please try to explain in Thai (only briefly), i can then show MrsBoJ this thread and let her read it herself. I can't imagine how i can even begin to try and explain in english, about swim bladders and air bladders etc. :D

Bambi, could you please try to explain in Thai (only briefly), i can then show MrsBoJ this thread and let her read it herself. I can't imagine how i can even begin to try and explain in english, about swim bladders and air bladders etc. :o

ปลาทองมีปัญหาเกี่ยวกับถุงลมนะคะ เกิดได้จากหลายสาเหตุ เช่นการติดเชื้อ อาหาร คุณภาพของน้ำ

การรักษา - 98% ไม่หายค่ะ อาจลองทำบางวิธีดูก็ได้

1 ถ้าปลาทองกินมากไป

เริ่มเสียสมดุลแล้วเกิดจากให้อาหารมากเกินไปน่ะค่ะ

ก่อนอื่นต้องงดอาหารนะ แล้วรอดูอาการ 2 วันเลย ปลาอดได้ ถ่ายน้ำใส่เกลือ 1 ช้อนชาต่อน้ำ 5 ลิตร หมั่นรักษาความสะอาดของน้ำ ถ้าไม่มีอาการอื่นเช่นเกล็ดพองหรือครีบเปื่อยหางเปื่อยก็ไม่ต้องใส่อื่นๆ เช่น ยาเหลืองนะคะ ต้องรอจนกว่าปลาจะฟื้นตัวมาเอง ทำอะไรไม่ได้ แล้วก็ถ้าเริ่มดีขึ้นต่อไปก็ต้องลดปริมาณอาหารแล้วล่ะค่ะ

2 ติดเชื้อ

อันนี้แก้ไขยากค่ะ ... ส่วนมากไม่หาย ก็จะลอยหงายท้องแบบนั้น

อาจลองเปลี่ยนน้ำ 100% และทำความสะอาดตู้ใหม่ดูค่ะ และใส่น้ำใหม่ทิ้งไว้อีกอย่างน้อย 1 วัน อย่าลืมใส่เกลือด้วยนะ 1 ชต. ต่อน้ำ 5 gallon หรือ 1 ชช. ต่อน้ำ 1 gallon

หรืออาจใช้ยาปฏิชิวนะ เช่น เตตร้าไซคลิน แกะแคปซูลมันออกมา แล้วแบ่งยาผงๆเป็น 8 ส่วน ... 1 ส่วนผสมน้ำ 1 ลิตร แล้วแช่ปลาในนั้น เปลี่ยนน้ำผสมยาทุกวัน แช่ไป 7-10 วัน

แต่ก็ทำใจหน่อยนิ ส่วนใหญ่มันไม่หาย

I have had many gold fish that developed swim bladder syndrome and like Bambina said, there's nothing you can do to reverse the condition once the fish develops it as far as I can tell from my experiences (I still have one). I have tried the treatment method Bambina quoted but that didn't help, I guess the best treatment is the prevention. And bummer, better the shape of the fish (round), higher the chances it develops swim bladder. Rounder (thus fatter), shorter the body and the tail fin, higher the chances it develops swim bladder syndrome, in my opinion. Some of them lived for years after having developed the problem but most would have shorter life expectancy than healthy fish, and their growth usually stops once it develops swim bladder.