All taxis required to use taximeter, Thai DLT official says

webfact

I would be much more interested is seeing comments from people who have actually tried or succeeded in getting a taxi from BKK to outlying places like Pattaya.
Since they introduced the new system the taxi drivers have lowered the fixed price from THB 1500 to THB 1300.
Sounds like progress to me.

If you think BKK taxi is bad, wait till you go to KUL

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/10/09/whine-wednesdays-hot-meters-in-kuala-lumpur/

By law all taxi is KL have a large "This is a metered taxi haggling is prohibited" sticker on.
Is say exactly what it meant:
1. Yes, there is a meter, but it did not say if it need to be operational.
2. Haggling is prohibited mean just pay what were fix fare the driver tells you.

I'm not sure where you get your taxis from but I use the public taxi counter at KUL and pay MYR 72 (THB 650) from the airport to the city center which is about a 1 hour drive down a good motorway. Hardly excessive.

If you go down the clapped out local taxis that have just dropped off an incoming passenger and try to bargain it may be different - but hardly worth the bother.

Not bad for an hour; but we are talking Malaysia, not Thailand. And do you suppose long-term expats, at least, haven't taken the arrivals route? But the airport eventually caught on, and will at least try to stop it.

If you think BKK taxi is bad, wait till you go to KUL

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/10/09/whine-wednesdays-hot-meters-in-kuala-lumpur/

By law all taxi is KL have a large "This is a metered taxi haggling is prohibited" sticker on.
Is say exactly what it meant:
1. Yes, there is a meter, but it did not say if it need to be operational.
2. Haggling is prohibited mean just pay what were fix fare the driver tells you.

I'm not sure where you get your taxis from but I use the public taxi counter at KUL and pay MYR 72 (THB 650) from the airport to the city center which is about a 1 hour drive down a good motorway. Hardly excessive.

If you go down the clapped out local taxis that have just dropped off an incoming passenger and try to bargain it may be different - but hardly worth the bother.

Not bad for an hour; but we are talking Malaysia, not Thailand. And do you suppose long-term expats, at least, haven't taken the arrivals route? But the airport eventually caught on, and will at least try to stop it.

No need to go to arrivals these days. Down at the lower lever where the busses are any taxi can now legally pick up passengers, supposedly using their meter. These are the older taxis usually driven by Indians who generally want a fixed price deal though.

Personally I find it easier to take the regulated public taxis from inside the airport though. Is it worth the hassle to save maybe MYR 10-15 if you manage to get a taxi to take you back on the meter?