Anyone backpacking it?

dagling

May seem a bit off topic, but I've got Givi panniers and top box. I also run very old Rapid Transit tank bag that occasionally has a backpack dropped on top of it.

I much prefer having the weight over the tank as the bike handles better. Something to consider.

IIRC, you have a chopper (Yamaha Bolt?). Perhaps if you are set on luggage for the rear getting some saddlebag support brackets knocked up and some nice leather saddlebags would be a good choice to keep the look nice? There's just something about nylon luggage that seems at odds with a chopper.

May seem a bit off topic, but I've got Givi panniers and top box. I also run very old Rapid Transit tank bag that occasionally has a backpack dropped on top of it.

I much prefer having the weight over the tank as the bike handles better. Something to consider.

IIRC, you have a chopper (Yamaha Bolt?). Perhaps if you are set on luggage for the rear getting some saddlebag support brackets knocked up and some nice leather saddlebags would be a good choice to keep the look nice? There's just something about nylon luggage that seems at odds with a chopper.

I have saddlebags, but looking for a bag on my fender;-)

post-84957-0-22708800-1421977406_thumb.j

post-84957-0-69947200-1421977423_thumb.j

I use one of the "Feel Free" dry bags (backpack) for short overnight trips. If I'm touring for a few days then I'll use a tank bag.

Not a big fan of tail packs, always find myself checking it's still there and you can't stop and remove stuff (water, snacks etc) without getting off the bike. Can't use them with a passenger as well.

The 15l dry bag is pretty comfy and you can get quite a bit in there. Obviously no need to panic when caught in a downpour.

feelfree_drytank_15_L.jpg

How do these bungee style cargo nets hold up?

If say attaching a backpack to the passenger seat with a cargo net, do you need to strap it down too, or is a cargo net enough?

cargo net is enough provided that it is a new tight one.

I use a Komine waist bag now which can get around 15 liters of stuff including my microsoft surface pro tablet which is OK for a 3 - 4 days of ride.

More than that, i strap any bag with cargo net or if my gf is with me, she carries a small back pack and i carry my waist bag.

In Thailand fortunately, it is hot so you just carry t shirts and light clothes etc and they do not occupy a lot of space.

'320sp Bangkok" has side bags or tang bags or pillion bags for cheap.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I've always worn a 35 litre Lowe Alpine backpack. Once on the bike, you forget its there.

If I had a touring bike or a cruiser, I'd get a tank bag or something. Top boxes on sportsbikes are hideous amd IMO dangerous at high speeds.

There are even backpacks made for bikers. Kriega are available here- http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Kriega.htm

They get good reviews.

How do these bungee style cargo nets hold up?

If say attaching a backpack to the passenger seat with a cargo net, do you need to strap it down too, or is a cargo net enough?

cargo net is enough provided that it is a new tight one.

I use a Komine waist bag now which can get around 15 liters of stuff including my microsoft surface pro tablet which is OK for a 3 - 4 days of ride.

More than that, i strap any bag with cargo net or if my gf is with me, she carries a small back pack and i carry my waist bag.

In Thailand fortunately, it is hot so you just carry t shirts and light clothes etc and they do not occupy a lot of space.

'320sp Bangkok" has side bags or tang bags or pillion bags for cheap.

cargo nets are great and a bag similiar to what jhonneyf posted up is easily good enough ,I used this for a 10 day trip no problems ,even had my laptop with me......I do use 2 cargo nets just for peace of mind.

Cargo net was priced at 160 bht from paddock ,but the old lady gave it for free as purchased a helmet there.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2

cargo nets are great and a bag similiar to what jhonneyf posted up is easily good enough ,I used this for a 10 day trip no problems ,even had my laptop with me......I do use 2 cargo nets just for peace of mind.

Cargo net was priced at 160 bht from paddock ,but the old lady gave it for free as purchased a helmet there.

Just don't get the cargo nets from the department stores. Flimsy plastic hooks and small size.

I have a pair of Rok straps. They adjust from 45 - 150 cm and have no metal hooks, but rather loops on the ends so that you can pass the strap back through itself and get a nice firm attachment. One side is firm nylon strap and the other is a well done stretchy material that has just the right amount of strength. A quick release "A" shaped snap catch means you can get to whatever is strapped down quickly.

Of note; they don't work on a CBR250...the rear grab handle forces the strap back and off. Nebula and I tried it many ways and couldn't make it work. Oh well, it works great on my pannier's mounting system as well as on top of my Trekker 52L top box.

• Like 1

I find backpacks too hot for Thailand and would rather strap my stuff anywhere else than there.

I put my backpack on the back seat and strap it round the topbox with these straps with hook attached that you can buy at almost any market.

I use one of the "Feel Free" dry bags (backpack) for short overnight trips. If I'm touring for a few days then I'll use a tank bag.

Not a big fan of tail packs, always find myself checking it's still there and you can't stop and remove stuff (water, snacks etc) without getting off the bike. Can't use them with a passenger as well.

The 15l dry bag is pretty comfy and you can get quite a bit in there. Obviously no need to panic when caught in a downpour.

Where can you buy those 'feel free' bags?

Where can you buy those 'feel free' bags?

they have similar water proof ones with many sizes at 320 sp for as cheap as 1200 THB.

• Like 1

banana_despicable_me.gif

Rubbish!!!

This is the only way to go

attachicon.gif20121227_145940.JPG

Fresh pair of underpants and socks every morning - check

Air compressor - check

Tyre pressure gauge - check

iPad - check

Tons of various charging cables for phones, intercom, GPS - check

etc etc

Not everyone tours the km we do man.

Cables I have down now. We carry 2 of those battery banks; both are dual outlet which is nice. Her's has one of the outlets as the Apple Lightening connector (uses for her iPhone) and the other a standard USB. So that's 2x micro-USB cables (one to charge the battery pack and one to charge her M8). 2x more micro-USB (totalling 4 so far) for my battery pack charging port and Note 4. A mini-USB for my Contour+ 2. And that's it, 5 cables covers a ton of electronic gear.

The battery packs are taken out and hooked up to the phones and action cam. The 2 remaining micro-USB cables are plugged into the Cardo headsets on one end and my macbook on the other. When their red lights go off, the intercoms get unplugged and the battery packs take their place. GPS charges through the motorcycle mount, so I don't have to worry about that.

Rubbish!!!

Air compressor - check

iPad - check

etc etc

for a dedicated tourer yes. I prefer more space too sure for stuff.

but for sport bike riders riding their bikes everyday for commuting etc and the ones do not have time to go for long tours unfortunately:(, i prefer my bike to be light and narrow as it is not easy to take those panniers and their mounts on and off all the time, not practical.

and if i am going far for more than 5 days, than put my soft cowboy style saddlebags for temporary basis!

Rubbish!!!

Air compressor - check

iPad - check

etc etc

umm air compressor ended up in my bag ,you were trying to slow me down ......
  • Like 2

Rubbish!!!

Air compressor - check

iPad - check

etc etc

Make it even...you weren't traveling with a pillion.

but for sport bike riders riding their bikes everyday for commuting etc and the ones do not have time to go for long tours unfortunately:(, i prefer my bike to be light and narrow as it is not easy to take those panniers and their mounts on and off all the time, not practical.

and if i am going far for more than 5 days, than put my soft cowboy style saddlebags for temporary basis!

On a 500X the pannier mounting brackets extend no further than the pillion's rear set bracket. Meaning taking the racks off, in addition to taking the panniers off, does absolutely nothing for making the bike more slim.

On a 500X the pannier mounting brackets extend no further than the pillion's rear set bracket. Meaning taking the racks off, in addition to taking the panniers off, does absolutely nothing for making the bike more slim.

yeah but pannier or top box mounts do not look very sexy on a sport bike:)

plus extra weight and they are not light too!

Rubbish!!!

Air compressor - check

iPad - check

etc etc

Yeah, but your visor spray and 7/11 towel ended up in my top box :)

banana_despicable_me.gif

I've got the grey one, but I believe they've got a pink one for Honda riders :)

Rubbish!!!

Air compressor - check

iPad - check

etc etc

Apart from the air compressor, I can easily fit all that in a tank bag. As for the underpants, I prefer to take a couple of pairs and wash as I go, nothing worse than 5 day old underwear stinking up my bag and using up my storage space :)

• Like 1