Thailand: New liquor sale restriction comes into force

webfact

Im not really hearing anything new here, how ever even if thet enforce a strict law, I still know where you can buy it, even between 2-5pm. ( and not from a mom and pop thai store as well )

Can anyone explain the "logic" in not allowing alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm? What is its purpose? What is is supposed to achieve? You can't stop off and have a beer on the way to pick the kids up from school?

As I recall, it was around 2003 when some brainiac dreamed this up as a way to keep teenage kids from drinking on their way home from school.

It seems like I am the only one (current powers that be included), that recalls this bizarre "reasoning".

Checking ID cards was never mentioned back then, nor does it seem to be mentioned very much at all, unless the BIB raid some place in Pattaya.

Yeah, that "logic" sounds about right. Flawed "logic" however when you can simply go to the nearest mom and pop store who will sell anything, to anyone, of any age.

I have never understood this silly and hypocrite rule.

The problem is not with the time.

The problem with cheap fake alcohols on the shelves, 60 - 80 B / half liter 40% Thai or Lao "whiskey".

• Like 1

Please explain these hours..... is it to restrict the amount of drinking and driving?

.... after five getting off work and getting loaded...PERMITTED... "driving" home.

.... in afternoon is restricted so Thai will stay sober on the job... sounds likely?whistling.gif

Of course this will only be at the big name stores, Tesco, 7-11, Big C etc. You will still be able to buy beer and whiskey at your local mom and pops shop 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Quite right, it's one of the reasons that many of us love Thailand and are happy to be away from Farangland with all it's petty rules and regulations.

• Like 2

There is nothing at all new about these restrictions, they have been in place for years.

There is no logic whatsoever to the embargo between 14.00 and 17.00 each day - the only possible effect is that anyone having a later than normal lunch, cannot order an alcoholic drink to accompany it - I noticed that restaurants have been following this all along since the restrictions came into force.

So why the report that these are new restrictions?

There is nothing at all new about these restrictions, they have been in place for years.

There is no logic whatsoever to the embargo between 14.00 and 17.00 each day - the only possible effect is that anyone having a later than normal lunch, cannot order an alcoholic drink to accompany it - I noticed that restaurants have been following this all along since the restrictions came into force.

No, bars and restaurants have not been following this "all along"....at least not where I live in Thailand.

Can anyone explain the "logic" in not allowing alcohol sales between 2pm and 5pm? What is its purpose? What is is supposed to achieve? You can't stop off and have a beer on the way to pick the kids up from school?

As I recall, it was around 2003 when some brainiac dreamed this up as a way to keep teenage kids from drinking on their way home from school.

It seems like I am the only one (current powers that be included), that recalls this bizarre "reasoning".

Checking ID cards was never mentioned back then, nor does it seem to be mentioned very much at all, unless the BIB raid some place in Pattaya.

With it you could explain the 2-5 PM ban, but what about the midnight to 11 AM?

It's probably going to mean less Tourists in Major Tourist Centres.

"Under the new restriction stipulated in the announcement of the PM’s Office, alcoholic drinks are available on sale two periods within a day – from 11 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to midnight."

Why?

Obviously it's going to save the nation from alcoholism and drunk driving.

Maybe if they reversed those hours, and ceased all alcohol sales from 5pm, that might have the desired effect!

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting. blink.png

i always thought this was the case, (in 7/11's) anyway, does it mean BARS now ? not being able to serve alcohol in the afternoon ? totally confused, as i sometimes pop out in the afternoon to prop up a bar and people watch,

This is new ?

It is if they finally passed it as law. Even some of the bigger shops ignored it including foodland until recently, Villa can buy anytime still i think. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for selling out of hours as it was never an actual law.

Foodland has had the restriction since it was first announced, so has Villa.

• Like 1

An old revolutionary decree fallen into abeyance that was revived by Thaksin as part of his social orde campaign.

I am sure that it wasn't Thaksin but one of his ministers whose name I have completely forgotten

It was the Social Order minister, who also wanted to close the bars at 10pm. For a very short while he got away with midnight or 1am, if I remember correctly. And that is also the time they designated entertainment zones in Bangkok and no new places could open outside of them.

As an aside, while I was growing up in the UK the pubs had to close in the afternoons, between 3 and 6 I believe. That was a throwback to WW2 to prevent the munitions workers getting pissed in the afternoon. Thailand is just trying to catch up with what the UK abandoned a decade or more ago.

It doesn't apply to bars so, don't worry, you can still get tanked up to collect your children

• Like 2

I thought the restriction was only on the sale of BOTTLES. I have never encountered a bar or restaurant that did not sell drinks during the restricted hours.