Am I even married?

brucetefl

And thats the question... Cannot in HK. And according to the lawyer cannot in Thailand either since never married.

I was previously married to a Filipina. I could not get a divorce in Thailand although legally married, since Thai law recognizes marriages from other countries and its law. The Philippines does not recognize divorce and Thailand will not grant one even though I live here. As an American I had to go to Guam to obtain my divorce.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are not recognised as being married in Thailand unless you have been through a Buddhist wedding service

Sorry Gandalf, that complete and utter nonsense!

Sorry but it isnt, it is actually fact. Applies only to legal matters but that is there rule not mine

legal matters such as.........

Link...........

hearsay.........Yes

The only things you need, to get married in Thailand, is the correct paperwork and pay the fee. That's all. No ceremony, I do's or kissing the bride required.

And thats the question... Cannot in HK. And according to the lawyer cannot in Thailand either since never married.

if you have a foreign certificate, you are married, period. No BS please.

to be able to divorce your mariage, you'll need to register your mariage in Thailand, local amphur, translated and certified documents to provide.

After registration you can divorce your mariage in Thailand, depending ofcourse that you and or your wife having a tabien baan in Thailand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are not recognised as being married in Thailand unless you have been through a Buddhist wedding service

???? Sarcasm right ????

Then I wonder how my wife--or not my wife since it was a civil ceremony in the PI, lo these 36 years ago--has managed to piggyback on my Thai retirement extension eight times.

I have get married with a woman from Thailand I have been arrested and stay in jail for overstay in her country in Thailand, when I come back to my country Switzerland, I have ask to divorce with her because cannot make a family home. It is important for children if have in the union.

Then I have to say no to the people who come from the Thailand who want to get married with me.

Why don't you bring your Thai wife to Switzerland and make "family home".

Many Swiss men have already done so.

Getting divorced because of an overstay seems a bit much.

You also have other people from Thailand who also want to get married to you?

Sorry but it isnt, it is actually fact. Applies only to legal matters but that is there rule not mine

Sorry mate but you really need to get the facts which clearly you dont have. You are working on what is reasonable but Thailand requires different documents. Try getting a "Thai wife visa" without a Thai marriage license and you wont get it

My wife and I married in Bangkok in 2007 at the amphur in Bangrak. I have the Thai marriage certificate and just completed my 7th Extension of Stay based on marriage (what you wrongfully call a "Thai wife visa").

We never did any sort of Buddhist wedding service.

I guess all of the government agencies that I have dealt with (Immigration, Amphur officials, police, Depart of Land Transport) are all wrong.

Sorry mate but you really need to get the facts which clearly you dont have. You are working on what is reasonable but Thailand requires different documents. Try getting a "Thai wife visa" without a Thai marriage license and you wont get it

I was really lucky then. Only got married in Bang Rak, no 'Buddhist wedding services' involved whatsoever .... and got an 'extension based on marriage to a Thai', on my non-immi type O.

You know there is no Thai wife visa, right?

My wife and I married in Bangkok in 2007 at the amphur in Bangrak. I have the Thai marriage certificate and just completed my 7th Extension of Stay based on marriage (what you wrongfully call a "Thai wife visa").

We never did any sort of Buddhist wedding service.

I guess all of the government agencies that I have dealt with (Immigration, Amphur officials, police, Depart of Land Transport) are all wrong.

lol, you beat me to the post, but I beat you to Bang Rak in 2006 ;-)

Edited by TG911

I am not going to argue with you Gandalf, I'm stating facts. The only legally recognized marriage in Thailand is an Amphur registration. If you doubt my word visit: http://www.watdee.com/legal.html and read it for yourself.

That's odd. My Thai wife and I married in the USA (State of Michigan). We brought our marriage certificate from the US and went to the Wattana Amphur and registered our marriage here in Thailand -- NO BUDDHIST SERVICE. That Thai marriage was legal enough for me to get a Spouse Visa from Thai Immigration. Seems legally recognized to me.

Later, we officially divorced at the same Amphur (painless compared to the USA, btw), and that divorce is legally recognized by the USA.

Buddha was nowhere in the loop.

Sorry not correct.

You do know there are Thai's living in Thailand that are Christians and Muslims. So with your thinking they are unable to legally get married in Thailand unless they convert...

You really believe everything you wife / girlfriend tells you.

My friend from France is legally married to his wife. They never had a Buddhist ceremony in Thailand. (she is catholic) They were married in a catholic church and their marriage was registered at the local ampur in her village. I know this as i asked him if he was legally married or just went through the motions to make her happy. He confirmed all legal. He said that he found out that thai law doesn't even require a ceremony.

You can go to any Umphur and marry with the right documentation, and you do not need a Buddhist, that's only for the Thai party before the real wedding

That's odd. My Thai wife and I married in the USA (State of Michigan). We brought our marriage certificate from the US and went to the Wattana Amphur and registered our marriage here in Thailand -- NO BUDDHIST SERVICE. That Thai marriage was legal enough for me to get a Spouse Visa from Thai Immigration. Seems legally recognized to me.

Later, we officially divorced at the same Amphur (painless compared to the USA, btw), and that divorce is legally recognized by the USA.

Buddha was nowhere in the loop.

Now you know why you should have had a Buddha, for good luck, 55555, I never had a Buddha and still married after many a moon

Complete and utter nonsense..

The buddhist ceremony means nothing.. The legal registration from the amphur is everything..

My understanding: The Buddhist ceremony is the traditional marriage and for many rural Thais is the most important recognition of marriage. However, to carry legal force the marriage must be registered at a local Amphur. Legal marriage registration does not require the Buddhist ceremony though. It requires Thai I'd card or passport, tabbien ban or similar and for foreigners affirmation of freedom to marry. If you are married elsewhere you need proof of divorce before you can marry in Thailand. To obtain the full benefits in Thailand from an overseas marriage it may need to be registered in Thailand?

brucetefl, on 23 Jan 2015 - 10:25, said:

OK but thats not what the lawyer here said... I honestly have no idea.

You need help son, you ask a question then you seem not want to accept any replies that are different to what your lawyer said, so, WHY ask in the first place.

gandalf12, on 23 Jan 2015 - 18:20, said:

mikiea, on 23 Jan 2015 - 18:17, said:
Moonlover, on 23 Jan 2015 - 16:56, said:
gandalf12, on 23 Jan 2015 - 16:48, said:

ehhhhh...... gandalf ...... huh ..... wat you smoking ?

I am smoking a large dose of facts, how about you?

Perhaps you could post where you get your "facts" from, that would save a lot of replies.

brucetefl, on 23 Jan 2015 - 10:25, said:

OK but thats not what the lawyer here said... I honestly have no idea.

You need help son, you ask a question then you seem not want to accept any replies that are different to what your lawyer said, so, WHY ask in the first place.

Bruce. You really do need to step back a little here. I have, I went right back to your original post and reread what your lawyer allegedly said. And I'm sorry but it doesn't make sense at all. Any lawyer should be a aware that if you married in one country, you are married anywhere and everywhere. But, there is a caveat to that. In many countries, and Thailand may be one of them, you have to have your foreign marriage registered with the local authorities. I learned this from Egypt when I took my Thai wife to live with me there.

Now if Thailand is the same, it could be that what your lawyer was actually saying was that if you didn't register your marriage, then it is not recognized here. BUT - that doesn't mean you're not married! If you do not have divorce papers YOU ARE MARRIED.

You need to start over Bruce. Stop listening to bar room lawyers and get the real facts.

And whilst you're at it. I would also question this business about having to live in Hong Kong for 7 years before getting a divorce. Although HK is now a Chinese colony, its legal and civil code is still very much a copy of the UKs. And such a ruling does not apply there. I know from personal experience.

Good luck

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

i cant believe the narrow minded viewpoints of some people.

Logic dictates that a foreign marriage certificate is not recognised in Thailand before it is presented to whoever needs to see it. This may require translation, local form filling whatever. You could call this 'registering 'in thailand.

A Buddhist ceremony may provide a piece of paper but it has the same authority as a foreign one. ie it does not get names onto the local authority register. Registering requires attending the correct authority and (guess what?) filling in forms.

In fact a wedding in Thailand has three stages. 1) entertaining by the local wat, 2)Registration at the local authority and 3) notifying ( more forms) ones own embassy. If a visitor wants the minimum inconvenience he/she will only undergo the wat ceremony which has no legal standing other than family saving face etc.

Having children is the same. The farange father is not until he is registered at the local authority. there is no automatic system for centralising data.