Consulate beginning to ask for verification of income

Oscar2

i am only stating what i witnessed the other day. i'm not in any way stating there is a an official change in policy.

i had some business at the U.S. Consulate the other day that took about 2.5 hours to complete. while there i sat around a long time waiting. some of the time was spent sitting in the back behind window 3. as you know, you can hear everything that is going on... during that time there were 3 single American men who presented for their income letter. each of them was asked prior to taking the oath, specifically what the source(s) of their income was and if they had the documents there with them to substantiate their claim. now, none of them were asked to slip the documents through the window, only to show their file folders, manila envelopes, etc. the 3 men i saw were all able to immediately state their income sources (2 were retired law enforcement and had pension incomes), and the other didn't flinch and reported his sources from overseas business. all had their proof sitting right on the counter.

it's obvious that what is happening is what has been reported in other parts of the country - the beginning of the crackdown by the new government. keep in mind that if caught and if convicted, perjury carries a penalty of a fine and up to 3 years in federal prison. people should consider their actions carefully.

Edited by Oscar2
  • Like 2

I suspect they were asked the source as the form specifically requires that information - "United States Government and/or other sources". Believe the Consulate was stating paperwork might be required so they should have same to support the amount listed if asked by Immigration.

• Like 1

I was there a few weeks ago and was not asked for proof of income. Legally, you are swearing the truth to your declared income. The Embassy has no risk as they are notarizing what you claim to be the truth. There is no notice on the US Embassy site that income verification is now required.

• Like 1

I was there on Tuesday and got an income affidavit. I was not asked for any proof and did not carry any. I was not lying, of course, so maybe I looked believable.

Never been asked for proof, although I usually bring it along in case, but you are asked specifically if the information provided is true and accurate (or words to that effect) before taking the oath, which sounds like almost the same as saying "do you have proof of the amounts you are claiming."

Since they are essentially notarizing your signature and administering an oath, not certifying that they've seen evidence to support what you've written, I doubt they'd demand documentation before notarizing.

Us Brits have been doing it for years.

If you have the proof then there is no problem.

I agree that there is no problem, but I'm not sure if having a government that assumes you're lying until proven otherwise is something to crow about.

• Like 1

I suspect they were asked the source as the form specifically requires that information - "United States Government and/or other sources". Believe the Consulate was stating paperwork might be required so they should have same to support the amount listed if asked by Immigration.

Last week I submitted a form to the Bangkok US Embassy that asked my income per month, however there was nothing there that asked for the source of my income nor mentioned it in any way.

I was there on Tuesday and got an income affidavit. I was not asked for any proof and did not carry any. I was not lying, of course, so maybe I looked believable.

There are many aspects of procedure that are just procedure. . .aspects. Don't lie, don't need to fear.

Oscar2, are you sure you heard correctly? How did you determine what documents the men were presenting? Did you see the documents? How did you determine the men were retired law enforcement?

Also, you say, "perjury carries a penalty of a fine and up to 3 years in federal prison." Where do you get that?

I've had things notarized there that had nothing to do with retirement income.

When I've sat there, I've been unable to hear what was said to the person due to that weird "cone of silence" they use.

You also state, "it's obvious that what is happening is what has been reported in other parts of the country - the beginning of the crackdown by the new government." Where do you get that? Do you really think the new government is capable of getting the US Consulate and US Embassy to verify income? As they say on the US consulate website, "To extend your stay in Thailand, Thai immigration might ask you to get a letter from us to “verify” your income. In fact, we are not empowered to do this. Instead, you may execute an affidavit in which you swear under oath or affirm your monthly income. "

I, for one, am having a had time buying your story.

His story means nothing.You, OUT LOUD, made mention of the cone of silence.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never been asked for proof, although I usually bring it along in case, but you are asked specifically if the information provided is true and accurate (or words to that effect) before taking the oath, which sounds like almost the same as saying "do you have proof of the amounts you are claiming."

Since they are essentially notarizing your signature and administering an oath, not certifying that they've seen evidence to support what you've written, I doubt they'd demand documentation before notarizing.

Us Brits have been doing it for years.

If you have the proof then there is no problem.

I agree that there is no problem, but I'm not sure if having a government that assumes you're lying until proven otherwise is something to crow about.

the British embassy do not do a affidavit , they write a income letter based on proof of income. there is a big difference

• Like 2

There are many aspects of procedure that are just procedure. . .aspects. Don't lie, don't need to fear.
And the U.S. government never lies right?

You don't lie you just exaggerate because you have enough money to live in Thailand more than most Thais, but you don't have enough to live in the US and you just just may not have enough to fit their preposterous unrealistic view of how much you should have which is non of their F***ing business anyway.

Better yet be a visa runner and be free like me!

You never have to register or lock up your money in a worthless non interest earning account and you live three months at a time. I was born today and I'll be dead in three months if I don't cross the border plus it forces you to get off your lazy ass and visit other countries around here..Makes you feel alive!

BE A VISA RUNNER MAN!

• Like 1

Let me add one thing that Phuket Immigration was doing. For the two years prior to this one, Thai Immigration required a letter from my bank stating that I was drawing 65k baht a month (whatever that amount was) from the American bank and that amount had to match the amount on the US Embassy letter. Then, I had to have a copy of the ATM card that I was drawing the money out with. Now, no American bank was going to give anyone that letter. So I had to make my own thumbsup.gif

This year I had everything ready including the bogus letter and...they don't want that anymore. What they did want was a copy of a Thai bank ATM card. I rarely use that card but I went made a copy and with just the American Embassy letter, was good to go.

I've got the income and can prove it but Thai Immigration wants certain things subject to change at their whim.