Consulate beginning to ask for verification of income

Oscar2

Late December immigration officer at window 3 picked up a red ink ballpoint and started his signature in red, oops he says, have to do this over again. I asked why and he said Thai Immigration might not take a form signed in Red.

He then commenced to fill out the new form himself!!!! I asked him why the red pen was around and he said they use it to negate certain passport documents, etc.

I suspect that individual officers get bored at the window and may say or do something that doesn't violate policy just to see something different.

As this one filled out the second form for me, he asked the circumstances of my birth in Japan before the second world war and how we got out just before Pearl Harbor. No doubt he was bored and looking for something to ease the boredom.

No request for verification of income.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Oscar2, are you sure you heard correctly? How did you determine what documents the men were presenting? Did you see the documents? How did you determine the men were retired law enforcement?

Also, you say, "perjury carries a penalty of a fine and up to 3 years in federal prison." Where do you get that?

I've had things notarized there that had nothing to do with retirement income.

When I've sat there, I've been unable to hear what was said to the person due to that weird "cone of silence" they use.

You also state, "it's obvious that what is happening is what has been reported in other parts of the country - the beginning of the crackdown by the new government." Where do you get that? Do you really think the new government is capable of getting the US Consulate and US Embassy to verify income? As they say on the US consulate website, "To extend your stay in Thailand, Thai immigration might ask you to get a letter from us to “verify” your income. In fact, we are not empowered to do this. Instead, you may execute an affidavit in which you swear under oath or affirm your monthly income. "

I, for one, am having a had time buying your story.

MY APOLOGIES TO OSCAR2

Well, I just got back from the US Consulate to get my notarized income statement, and you can hear every word that is being said.

They asked one guy what was his source of income and he told them and that was it. Then when it got to me, the man asked me, I told him, then he asked if I'd brought documentation. I said no and he rephrased the question about the income, this time asking for more detail. I gave him the answer and that was it.

He took my oath and gave me the letter and told me to bring documentation next time, which I will do.

no problem at all mesquite. i haven't bothered to reply to some of the posts people made. i was only passing on information. i don't really care if people believe it or not. makes no difference to me. and as i said a few days ago, i never saw any of the 3 men that day, actually pass their documents through the window/counter. they were only asked if they had the documents with them. it's just a sign of the times.

• Like 1

Went to the US Consulate today for my income verification letter. The officer asked the source of my retirement funds and I told him. We discussed my previous employer for a few seconds and then he asked if I had proof of retirement funds. I told him "not with me". I asked if this was a new policy and he laughed and replied, "I ask 1 out of 7 people that come in here for these and today you win the lottery". He laughed, handed me my paper and asked me to sign and swear.

Change in policy? Who knows? But it is interesting.

i am only stating what i witnessed the other day. i'm not in any way stating there is a an official change in policy.

i had some business at the U.S. Consulate the other day that took about 2.5 hours to complete. while there i sat around a long time waiting. some of the time was spent sitting in the back behind window 3. as you know, you can hear everything that is going on... during that time there were 3 single American men who presented for their income letter. each of them was asked prior to taking the oath, specifically what the source(s) of their income was and if they had the documents there with them to substantiate their claim. now, none of them were asked to slip the documents through the window, only to show their file folders, manila envelopes, etc. the 3 men i saw were all able to immediately state their income sources (2 were retired law enforcement and had pension incomes), and the other didn't flinch and reported his sources from overseas business. all had their proof sitting right on the counter.

it's obvious that what is happening is what has been reported in other parts of the country - the beginning of the crackdown by the new government. keep in mind that if caught and if convicted, perjury carries a penalty of a fine and up to 3 years in federal prison. people should consider their actions carefully.

why would "American Men" have to show "proof of income" at the US consulate? what were they applying for?

Just a guess...verification of income for Thai Immigration.

There are some paranoid people around who actually believe that the Consulate does not ask for proof because the US Government doesn't want anyone actually taking 800,000 baht out of the US and bringing it to Thailand. Laughable that they would care about such small sums when major US corporations take billions out of the US.

• Like 2

The US Consul will not get into verifying income. If they did, so many would fail, be forced to return to the US, suck US government funds on welfare, food stamps,... and cause problems there and they do not want that.

Do you have facts ? How do you know many would fail ? Your guessing is my guess.

My guess is Dante doesn't need facts. He has Fox.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gif

Went to the US Consulate today for my income verification letter. The officer asked the source of my retirement funds and I told him. We discussed my previous employer for a few seconds and then he asked if I had proof of retirement funds. I told him "not with me". I asked if this was a new policy and he laughed and replied, "I ask 1 out of 7 people that come in here for these and today you win the lottery". He laughed, handed me my paper and asked me to sign and swear.

Change in policy? Who knows? But it is interesting.

Perhaps that is what happened with you but I seriously doubt these officers would joke around with you and even less tell you that he asks one out of seven people that question. Seems that is state info.

There are some paranoid people around who actually believe that the Consulate does not ask for proof because the US Government doesn't want anyone actually taking 800,000 baht out of the US and bringing it to Thailand. Laughable that they would care about such small sums when major US corporations take billions out of the US.

Half of Adult Americans do not have 10K in saving, regardless of their debts.....30% have a negative net worth. I was filling out IRS Forms at a Thai bank the other day, supplied by them (the bank), so there is a certain amount of cooperation on these matters between governments...but yes, they do have much larger fish to fry. BTW, US corporations have over a trillion USD in cash overseas, and maybe if the US didn't have the highest corporate tax rate in the world; they would invest some of it back in the States, and a lot of 30 year olds might be able to move out of their grandma's trailer park.

• Like 1

Half of Adult Americans do not have 10K in saving, regardless of their debts.....30% have a negative net worth. I was filling out IRS Forms at a Thai bank the other day, supplied by them (the bank), so there is a certain amount of cooperation on these matters between governments...but yes, they do have much larger fish to fry. BTW, US corporations have over a trillion USD in cash overseas, and maybe if the US didn't have the highest corporate tax rate in the world; they would invest some of it back in the States, and a lot of 30 year olds might be able to move out of their grandma's trailer park.

You are probably rite about how much they have. Bit you forgot to mention that Half of the American Adults are not applying for a retirement Visa or a one year extension in Thailand. Even if they did there is no requirement that they have to have a savings account.