No 'baggage fee' for airport taxis, Thai officials say

webfact

Farang describing Thai taxis as expensive is ridiculous. For the service they give they must be among the cheapest in the world yet still people here want to bash them and call them rip offs. Stop being so tight and open your wallets and minds just a little bit. Not everything here is a con job.

Agree somo. My 15 minute taxi ride from home to the airport in Melbourne costs more than the 90 minute ride from swampy to Pattaya.

What can I say rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why are you laughing?

They are entitled to ask to increase their income as any other person does on this earth.

Charging for luggage is very common in Europe.

Why not in Thailand?

10 or 20Baht will hurt the pockets of the tourists?

In my opinion they should be allowed.

I was never charged or asked extra for my luggage by taxi driver being in many countries in Europe (lately)..wink.png

coffee1.gif

Edited by gigman

Didn't they just have a fare increse 2 months ago ?

What can I say rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why are you laughing?

They are entitled to ask to increase their income as any other person does on this earth.

Why not in Thailand?

Farang describing Thai taxis as expensive is ridiculous. For the service they give they must be among the cheapest in the world yet still people here want to bash them and call them rip offs. Stop being so tight and open your wallets and minds just a little bit. Not everything here is a con job.

If you regulator relents in any small way at all, the cabbies will exploit it for all it's worth. It won't be long before your shoulder bag will be considered as 'luggage' as well.

And since when did taxis take the most direct route? Any deviation earns them lots of Baht over and above the normal fare.

(Edit: corrected spelling mistake)

Edited by Xircal

If you regulator relents in any small way at all, the cabbies will exploit it for all it's worth. It won't be long before your shoulder bag will be considered as 'luggage' as well.

And since when did taxis take the most direct route? Any deviation earns them lots of Baht over and above the normal fare.

(Edit: corrected spelling mistake)

Well said. Bravo/

• Like 1

Why not in Thailand?

Maybe in Greece but not in the normal world of europe!!! And I travel a lot around!!! ;-)

I never have been charged for my luggage in europe from a taxi!!! Airlines for sure!!!

Edited by snowgard

Why are you laughing?

Why not in Thailand?

The issue concerns Thai taxis.

Asking for an increase of income is different from extorting high fares/add ons from unsuspecting passengers.

If one wishes to pay for their luggage, they are free to do so. I'm confident the driver will appreciate it.

The rules say no charge for luggage and who am I to say otherwise?

Laughing is a good way for me to disconnect my brain and occupy my mouth, which often announces my ignorance.

Edited by Benmart

I agree. Not everything here is a rip-off.

The topic is Taxis.

I prefer not to tell anyone to "stop being so tight and open your wallets...".

It's their money and not mine.

I don't know them or the circumstances for each trip.

The fares may be cheap for "Farangs".I believe locals have also been extorted.

It is "ridiculous" for me to assume to know the cost of living for each taxi driver as it relates to their income from fares.

Easy Does It.

Why are you laughing?

Why not in Thailand?

But Europe has taxis with working car suspension and clean and tidy and room for luggage.

If no money. Change jobs. I had to

The reason they dont earn enough money is because - duh!
There are just way too many Taxis in Bangkok!
Eliminate 50% of all Taxis will in effect double their salary!
Send the crap ones that refuse the meter and are rude and obnoxious back to isarn.
Massive congestion problems solved in the capital - Everyone wins! apart from the scum...

• Like 2

Ahhh the Apologist - let people pay according to their income excuse. So if a Thai takes a taxi in London or New York they should get a foreigner discount because their income in their home country is lower? Regardless of the taxes and fees the taxi driver pays to operate in that country. So you fully support double pricing for foreigners on the logic that certain foreigners deserve to pay more because their home country salary is higher.

Well i see: in the future the cutsomers have to pay for use the seat, seatbelts and maybe listen the music the driver is playing!!!!!!!!!!

AND after all: never space for 2 passengers with 2 laggueages and 2 smaller ones as you can take on board! and for that they want charge extra money!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a mess up!

Just arrived ,step outside and hay presto... The taxis are the first rip off the tourist gets...

It's a joke.. And as far as other places charging for luggage I don't care...it's a rip off ..

Next it will be charging per person ...

And as was said there is very little room for luggage at the best of times..

All these taxi drivers want is the right to rip of tourists anyway possible..

And asking for the governments blessing..

It's not about 10 baht or 20 Baht its the opening the door ..

I've arrived at SVB alone a few times, and found a couple of other travellers to share cabs with. One time, after we started off me and my two new acquaintances started getting to know one another; as soon as the driver picked up that we just met, he pulled over to the side of the road and demanded I get out and get my own cab since we weren't "really" a group! It was on the access road to the airport, he didn't care if I had to stand there or walk back half a kilometre to the airport. All three of us loudly told him to stuff it and keep moving or he wouldn't have.

So to "heck" with them, taxi drivers get no quarter from me, ever. The fact that a fair number of them are polite and use their meters without question tells me these guys are just being whiners.

• Like 1

Why are you laughing?

Why not in Thailand?

<deleted> !! What taxis anywhere in the world charge for luggage ?

Has there been some radical change that occurred without my knowledge ?