Want to bring my D-Max back to the US

playbgnow

Sell it in Thailand for about 3x what an equivalent used model sells for in the USA. Then buy a better vehicle in the USA and pocket the difference.

Or take your chances with shipping and customs and the EPA, trying to get a non-smogged car into the USA and safety inspected and brought up to standard. ($$$)

I know which way I'd go...

It would be cost prohibitive not to mention non conforming.

Sell it in Thailand for about 3x what an equivalent used model sells for in the USA. Then buy a better vehicle in the USA and pocket the difference.

Or take your chances with shipping and customs and the EPA, trying to get a non-smogged car into the USA and safety inspected and brought up to standard. ($$$)

I know which way I'd go...

It would be cost prohibitive not to mention non conforming.

My buddy lived in Japan for a couple of years, while there he bought a used Harley. He had it shipped back to the U.S. when he moved back there and U.S. Customs held it for eighteen months while they demanded proof that it met U.S. emissions standards. They also demanded thousands of dollars in storage fees. He did end up getting the bike released and not having to pay the storage after hiring a Lawyer, but I would be willing to bet he wouldn't try it again.

I was wondering were you would get work done on that diesel motor seeing they are not sold in America. Sure you could change oil yourself but but how about filters. Oil and fuel . Even the air filter maybe different. Time for new alternator or belts. Water pump. Then if you ever wanted to sell or trade it in , who would take the truck.

Just something to think about.

• Like 1

Do not do it. Most of the Thai made cars do not have frontal crash specs or fuel standards. Very silly idea really. You will get a good price here sell it private on ThaiVisa lot of guys looking for good second hand.you could buy a real beauty in the USA for far less at auctions.

Impossible in practical terms. I looked at taking my 2008 Ford Edge from the middle east to the US as it was a year old. It seems that it is very hard to know exactly what spec the car was built to as the middle east specs are different than USA spec no matter that the Edge was made in Canada.

I had some emails with companies that worked on making vehicles conform to US standards. If I remember right it was something like $5000 to to check everything to see what needed to be done. Its just not practical. Sell that Isuzu and buy a Ford F250, you will be dollars ahead and much happier.

One of my favorite pastimes when i have nothing to

do is search the web for classic cars and bikes.

During my travels i also keep one eye open for

anything on wheels that might interest me.

To this day i have never seen any form of motor

type vehicle cheaper than in the USA.

You could go to Brazil or Cuba and find some

classics but from any country exporting then

importing is a nightmare,,, i don't do it any more

but i still love to look,, come and join me here

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/

Wouldn't you have to change it from right- to left-hand drive for a huge sum?

No.... But all the rest posted here applies, the OP could get a much better equipped truck probably new or very nearly new for the resale value of that pick up back there not including the shipping etc. no sense to it all, nothing to be gained, plenty to be lost.

There's emissions control on a motorcycle? blink.png That's news to me? Probably to a lot of other folks too.

There's emissions control on a motorcycle? That's news to me? Probably to a lot of other folks too.

Yup. Don't even try importing a 2 stroker, (or, in my case, 2 stroke engines). Ask me how I know that.

Edited by impulse

Wouldn't you have to change it from right- to left-hand drive for a huge sum?

No.... But all the rest posted here applies, the OP could get a much better equipped truck probably new or very nearly new for the resale value of that pick up back there not including the shipping etc. no sense to it all, nothing to be gained, plenty to be lost.

There's emissions control on a motorcycle? blink.png That's news to me? Probably to a lot of other folks too.

The US EPA has emissions standards for just about everything, including motor cycles. Car emissions are talked about more because of the large volume of vehicles and the standards and enforcement for cars are more stringent than other categories.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1