Assault in Lamai

Last night at 9.30pm, I had just finished my meal at the Lamai Plaza food stalls and was walking back to my vehicle parked behind Fushion Pub when I was king hit from behind by a Thai taxi driver (green/yellow last three license numbers 304). Witnesses from Macdonalds, the Bondi Restaurant and several restaurants opposite clearly saw the guy attack me from behind which resulted in severe abrasions to my legs and hands as I fell down, Bleeding profusely, some kind English tourists who saw the incident while sitting in front of the Bondi restaurant worked to stem the bleeding (I'm on blood thinners) and bought bandages and dressings from the Family mini mart opposite while several waitresses from the eateries opposite Macdonalds who had also witnessed the attack, ran across with an endless supply of chilled napkins. My immediate reaction was to call the police but in Lamai there are none to be seen.This taxi driver looked mad on ya ba and tomorrow after I have stabilized a bit, we will see how the Samui police react to my report and there are plenty of witnesses AND video cams on this street.

You should have reported it straight away and the man on duty last night may not be on duty for another week

Try the Amper guards they have a station in banrak normally open in evenings at seatran pier they know all be taxis and do a better job when it comes to getting people

What are you expecting as an acceptable outcome ??

My advice don't get involved in any court case … try to settle thumbsup.gif

Today at 5pm both the Chaweng and Lamai police met at the crime scene with taxi driver of licence no. 304. All the witnesses told the police the offending taxi was in fact no.309 so I had got it wrong but I must have been in a bit of shock. What all the witnesses told the police was that the taxi driver stopped and approached me from behind where he shoved me headfirst into the road while shouting gibberish. What T.A.T. needs to do is make it mandatory for all taxi drivers to have spot urine tests by police patrols as most of these drivers are as high as kites. So tomorrow It's back to the Chaweng police station to meet this punk face to face, that's if he hasn't done a runner by now. BKK Int. hospital bill B7,000 inc. a few stitches so will be pressing damages and assault charges. What good that has come out of this is the incredible kindness and care shown by some 20 Thai waitresses and bar girls who were willing to take this punk on but not one Thai male willing to step up.

Not their best move to have me meet him face to face. I will suggest they bring him to the crime scene as today so all the witnesses can finger him too.

In the Thai system it is normal for the accuser and the accused (and both families) to sit face to face with the police. This is so that both arguments can be heard by everyone and negotiations begin with the police acting as referees.

The system tries to produce a result that is felt to be win/win.

In one case my kayak was stolen. The police got the kayak back for me and asked if I wanted to prosecute the thief. I responded that I did not and everyone was happy. The thief did not get a criminal record and I recovered my kayak AND lived to see another day. (The thief was part of a large gang of thieves from NST and they knew where I lived!)

In the Thai system it is normal for the accuser and the accused (and both families) to sit face to face with the police. This is so that both arguments can be heard by everyone and negotiations begin with the police acting as referees.

The system tries to produce a result that is felt to be win/win.

In one case my kayak was stolen. The police got the kayak back for me and asked if I wanted to prosecute the thief. I responded that I did not and everyone was happy. The thief did not get a criminal record and I recovered my kayak AND lived to see another day. (The thief was part of a large gang of thieves from NST and they knew where I lived!)

As of yet, Chaweng police have not contacted me today so I assume the taxi driver of lic.plate 309 has done a runner.

Are u going to tell us what occurred before it got out of control? There are normally a chain of events prior to the assault

The turn off road between Macdonalds and Bondi is quite narrow with no footpath I was walking close to the curb and as all the witnesses said, the taxi driver got out of his car and attacked from behind, I never saw him coming. But then if one is high on drugs there never is "a normal chain of events" !

U know in thailand give way to pedestrian doesnt necessarily apply anywhere! add to that, western tourist assume that pedestrians are priority on pedestrian crossings and that road users should give way or halt to let you cross. If you apply that mentality in thailand that will only get you killed... Believe me thais get real mental about tourist walking in the middle of the road and stopping them on their tracks .. U need to learn quick around here my friend

• Like 1

Good luck Rusty!

Went to Chaweng police this morning and they informed they questioned taxi lic. no. 309 Mon. morning and will take him to the crime scene today where the witnesses will be asked to identify the guy and his taxi. It seems the police are processing the case their own way and saving me from meeting the perp face to face but should they charge the guy will they want me to attend the court case ?

Well im afraid u will end up facing this guy with you pointing a finger at the assailant. If you are lucky enough u might make it to the nightly news. But unfortunately the assailant will probably only be slapped with a warning and a 500 baht fine im guessing as i have seen many cases before.. Ps. Find out where the taxi driver's station and try avoid that area. Folks that reside here in thailand knows the danger when dealing with taxi drivers... A very good advice for ya

Good luck Rusty!

Went to Chaweng police this morning and they informed they questioned taxi lic. no. 309 Mon. morning and will take him to the crime scene today where the witnesses will be asked to identify the guy and his taxi. It seems the police are processing the case their own way and saving me from meeting the perp face to face but should they charge the guy will they want me to attend the court case ?

Have you secured any footage from the Tessaban?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

hi

dont let this disappear

stand up to these idiots

ask if you can video the meeting

if not approved , do it anyway

thailand at present is not happy about all this bad publicity

and maybe [just maybe ] they will want to show that some justice will be handed out

so save it on video as it will be the only later proof you have

theres obviously lots of support there in lamai from bar staff and witnesses

• 2 weeks later...