ubon day hiking

rocket2

Anyone interested in some day hiking in ubon? Maybe leaving 6 am and returning afternoon. Some good national parks in the area.

I am visiting wife's family for 4 or 5 days in ubon around 12 to 16 of February. Would like to do some good lengthy day hikes in some of the national parks.

At least you will be one of the few that will get good value from the new park entrance prices - 400 baht a day, doubled at a stroke! The authorities tried this 5 years ago and had to reverse it (presumably when entrances plummeted). I suspect the same thing will happen this time around.

Pa Taem is worth 400 baht if you are going to spend a good time in there and do more than just visit the accessible bits in the South. The cliff overlooking Khao Pra Wihan was worth 200 baht but no way is it worth 400 baht IMO.

Four days left folks to take advantage of the cheaper prices.

Perhaps I should put something together about walks outside the national parks. We Ubon Hash House Harriers see parts of Ubon province (mostly around the outskirts of the town) that locals do not know exist. The river Mun is a tremendous resource totally under-used and not promoted by the provincial tourist office. Witness another wonderful 'run' walk that we will have Saturday 7th around the confluence of the Mun and Chi (separate posting to come later today!) - I've only just found it myself. It's practically deserted and IMO the most attractive stretch of the Mun anywhere within 20k of Ubon - though Had Khu Deua gives it a run for its money.

Unfortunately I have family visiting at the time you mention rocket or I'd offer you a half-day tour of the south bank of the Mun. Can do you some maps if you like.

Thanks for the great tips. What do you recommend as the best day hike? Wifey is pretty tough! we have done some good 30 km mountain hikes in Vancouver. I may try and go out with the rangers and catch myself a poacher.:). My Thai is decent so could chat with them for a while.

Also I may try to do all 7 waterfalls in the area over two days as well. Try to cram the in-laws into a car and explore.

Last time I was in the area i got stuck in a village and did nothing for days. Never again. Avoid the village!!!!

Something tells me you are a lot fitter than the average Ubon expat! The heat could be a bit of a leveller thoughsmile.png .

Lovely now but my present sojourn to Bangkok is reminding me what it will be like in the province in 10 days time most likely. 34 degrees (celsius of course) here all day and still 34 at 6pm (unless my car thermometer is stuck!)

I haven't done any serious up and down stuff here I'm afraid.

Santisuk is right about the heat. Go out as early as possible wherever you go. The heat is a killer and you don't have to pay the park fee if you enter early enough at some places. I'm usually out of the house by 4. It takes at least an hour and a half to get to any of those locations. Also bring a charged phone with GPS like an iPhone or something. Trails usually aren't well marked if they exist at all. The waterfalls don't have much water for the next few months. Soi Sawan and Huai Luang should still have enough to make it interesting. Huai Luang is my favorite as the hike down is nice and you can swim but it's kind of out of the way. Soi Sawan is also fun this time of year as you can easily hike up the waterfall. You could also hit other area waterfalls and hike at the official Pha Taem park office if you go to Soi Sawan. The main office has a good restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

The foreigner fee has now gone up to 400 baht* at National Parks. This morning I entered Pha Taem in Ubon and was able to get a 200 baht fee when I talked in Thai, said I had a Thai drivers licence, lived in Thailand and paid Thai taxes. She believed me without needing to see any documents. Don't know whether this is an unofficial fee or an official intermediate one - surely they are not charging Thais as much as 200 baht now?

* That was the price my sister/BIL had to pay, being foreign visitors

I got away with 200 baht in Pha Taem NP last week, whereas it was 400 baht for my visitors. I spoke in (far from perfect) Thai, saying that I lived in Thailand, had a Thai driving license and paid Thai taxes (you do too if you have a Thai interest-earning deposit account!). Big smile and the lady did not require any further evidence.