Thais and Farang Food.

NoshowJones

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it appears Thais who refuse to eat farang food are about as numerous and as ignorant as farangs who refuse to eat Thai food. Good luck, I have little time for either of them; bring on the food, I will be the one to decide if I like it.

I was previously married to a Thai Lady, now in a relationship with a Khmer lady. Both came from poor backgrounds and had no problems with foreign food, other than the odd item. I put that down to them remembering the days when they had little or nothing to eat.

Personally I'm surprised that so many Thais are fussy when it comes to foreign food, but from a purely personal point of view, younger Thais are nothing like their counterparts of 25 years plus ago. One of the reasons why I chose to leave Thailand rather than stay and whinge.

That said, as with everything one man's/ woman's meat is another one's poison......

Personally I'm surprised that so many Thais are fussy when it comes to foreign food, but from a purely personal point of view, younger Thais are nothing like their counterparts of 25 years plus ago. One of the reasons why I chose to leave Thailand rather than stay and whinge.

How is that working for you?

I also live in a village in Isaan and there are no Tesco/ 7/11 stores until the nearest Amphur 25 kliks, have been in many villages never seen a convenience store in any of them. I suspect this OP, like many others on this site, does not live in a rural village.

"I live near an Industrial Park (where I work) upcountry, this is still rural communities, but there are now 5 7-11 shops on the three km road between my house and the Industrial Park. They are always fully stocked with what the OP mentions, bread and milk, but I rarely see my work colleagues eat any of it and when I am in the shop I have never seen a Thai buying any of that stuff, so I wonder too, who buys it?"

I would hesitate to call what they serve in 7-11 farang food especially their doughy, sickly sweet breadbah.gif

I have had a Thai wife, ( same one ), for 10 years and regret, deeply, introducing her to any Western foods. Her Ka-Ka foods only cost 5 Baht a bunch, ( dead or alive), whereas my stuff, here, is 6 X as expensive. Prior to me she ate the normal 8 meals a day costing about 40 B total and, now, up to 100 Baht and the meter is still running !

Ka-Ka food?

I over heard a farang guy and thai girl the other night. They ordered buffalo wings and a pizza and as soon as the food arrived she dove into that pizza but when she ate the buffalo wings she told him they were sour and his reply was

"Your crazy these are exactly what they make in USA. You have no clue. So sit back, eat your pizza and be quiet while i enjoy"

I wish i videoed that conversation

My step son tried KFC for the first time about a yr ago

he was 12

now thats all he wants when he comes to visit

I was previously married to a Thai Lady, now in a relationship with a Khmer lady. Both came from poor backgrounds and had no problems with foreign food, other than the odd item. I put that down to them remembering the days when they had little or nothing to eat.

That said, as with everything one man's/ woman's meat is another one's poison......

How is that working for you?

Been here 9 years, it has its faults, many love it, others hate it. Personally I prefer the relative simplicity, rather like Thailand was in the 80's. My partner is kind and generous, gives rather than takes and my staff at work are a really good bunch, hard working and honest.

That said, as I always say, one man's meat.....

Some Thais have this amazing ability to not like something without ever having tried it.

Anyway, when I was in Isaan I took a can of baked beans to school and the kids were utterly intrigued/horrified. A couple of brave souls tried it and immediately screwed their noses up. Bizarrely, it was exactly the same with a can of mixed fruit in syrup I presented them with.

Seems to me it's proof Thai people have lost their ability to survive: turning their noses up at things that are not particularly alien, merely conceptually different, yet from a long tradition of grubbing around for grubs. Imagine taking away their 'eat the bugs' gene and then presenting them with crickets and the like, surely there's no way they'd eat them then.

On the other hand, Westerners can be every bit as bad or worse for their lack of open-mindedness with food, but it's the other way round: such as those who feed themselves and their poodles choice cuts of meat but couldn't stomach the thought of the source, let alone processing it themselves.

In some ways I feel Westerners would be more able to survive certain hardships due to our adaptability, but in other ways I think the Asians never lost touch with the reality of what food actually is or where it comes from.

So come the end of civilization, it'd be interesting to see who does best: those who are able to think outside the box or those who can eat it if it moves.

We both eat bread. Corn flakes occasionally. And maybe MickyD's french fries about once a year. Pizza and Sizzler twice a year. Other than that - its Thai food for the Mrs. I'll make spaghetti, casseroles, and farang soups for myself on occasion while in the village. Other than that - Thai food is my primary diet too. Lots of vegetables cooked Thai style or in Thai curries over mali hom / red rice mixtures, and fruits.

I liked Thai food in the West, and I like Thai food ever better here in the LOS! Arroy arroy!

The wife makes some great soup dishes, fish soup made with carnation milk, veggie soup, chicken sweet corn soup also curried fish, most of her western food dishes come from my mums recipe book, myself and the kids love it, she's also adopted some of the quick fixes such as cauliflower/broccoli with cheese sauce etc,,,

Two 7-11's and a Tesco Express......and you call that a village??

We have to drive 20k's to get to that sort of civilisation.

There's a town 15Ks away and has a train station, it is much bigger than my village, maybe I should refer to my village as a town.

You can drive to 7/11? Heck, we have no roads, have to walk for three hours to get to the buffalo trail, if we're lucky we may get a ride on a sled--and we think we live in town.

You can drive to 7/11? Heck, we have no roads, have to walk for three hours to get to the buffalo trail, if we're lucky we may get a ride on a sled--and we think we live in town.

Boy, you guys must really enjoy living as far away from the trappings of civilization as possible! You can't even claim it's for the peace and quiet, what with all the roosters, dogs, puuyais and temples on speakers, food carts etc shattering the morning bliss every bloody day! It's enough to drive a poor city dweller to drink when visitingwhistling.gif

Back on topic; my wife is omnivorous, which is very practical when on holiday outside Thailand but it does sometimes make it necessary for me to steer her away from the priciest items on the menu while at hometongue.png

two 7-11s and a tesco in a village? no other villages close by to use them? I dont believe you.

No there isn't, there are lots of houses in the surrounding areas among the ricefields, and there is a main road going through and on to the next to town which is about 15 Ks away, and that town has three 7-11s. What is it that you don't believe?

I have had quite a few answers from you about my posts, and you never seem to have anything positive to say, I notice the same when you answer other posters also. But your are giving me some entertainment, and that is part of what Thaivisa is about.

so what is it? a town or a village?

Boy, you guys must really enjoy living as far away from the trappings of civilization as possible! You can't even claim it's for the peace and quiet, what with all the roosters, dogs, puuyais and temples on speakers, food carts etc shattering the morning bliss every bloody day! It's enough to drive a poor city dweller to drink when visitingwhistling.gif

Back on topic; my wife is omnivorous, which is very practical when on holiday outside Thailand but it does sometimes make it necessary for me to steer her away from the priciest items on the menu while at hometongue.png

Really went over your head, eh?

Really went over your head, eh?

Not really, but how could I beat your post wrt remotenesswink.png