Thai-British Man injured as bullet comes through roof of his Central Pattaya home

webfact

Thai-British Man injured as bullet comes through roof of his Central Pattaya home

bullet-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Sunday, a 24 year old man with Thai and British nationality was injured after a stray bullet came through the roof of his house as he slept with his wife and 2 month old child.

Mr. Michael Henry sustained a flesh wound to his right leg and first went to Hospital and then went to Pattaya Police Station where he claimed that Police seemed disinterested in the case and refused to send a Police Officer to his house to investigate the potentially deadly incident.

Mr. Henry lives at the Sundeep Villas in Soi Sophon in Central Pattaya and was awoken at 2am by the sound of gun fire. He then felt a sharp pain to his right leg and realized he had been hit by a bullet. The empty casing was retrieved by Mr. Henry who took the item to the Police Station as evidence of the serious incident.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/167102/thai-british-man-injured-as-bullet-comes-through-roof-of-his-central-pattaya-home/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-01-26

• Like 1

I can understand why the Police did not take any interest, as it all sounds like bull**it.

A shot fired into the air, and the bullet comes down through the roof, through the ceiling and strikes him hard enough to penetrate his leg to give him a flesh wound. He then goes outside and finds the casing. I smell a rat here, it just doesn't add up. Have to see what the outcome is, if any.

I was kinda thinking the same thing - does not quite compute, unless the roof was made of paper?

I can understand why the Police did not take any interest, as it all sounds like bull**it.

A shot fired into the air, and the bullet comes down through the roof, through the ceiling and strikes him hard enough to penetrate his leg to give him a flesh wound. He then goes outside and finds the casing. I smell a rat here, it just doesn't add up. Have to see what the outcome is, if any.

What goes up, must come down. Ignoring/minimizing air resistance, which for a dense, streamlines object (like a bullet) is reasonable, it will come down nearly as hard as it left the barrel. It certainly could penetrate roof and ceiling and a few layers of flesh.

Many years ago, my boss' brand new truck came up with a big crease at the edge of the roof on New Year's day, which he reported to the police. The sergeant who took the report said that every patrol car on duty New Year's eve sat under a freeway overpass from 11:50 pm until 12:10 am to avoid falling slugs from all the idiots who fire into the air at midnight. He was serious.

At least in the US, no one launches hot-air incendiary bombs to celebrate...

What goes up, must come down. Ignoring/minimizing air resistance, which for a dense, streamlines object (like a bullet) is reasonable, it will come down nearly as hard as it left the barrel. It certainly could penetrate roof and ceiling and a few layers of flesh.

Many years ago, my boss' brand new truck came up with a big crease at the edge of the roof on New Year's day, which he reported to the police. The sergeant who took the report said that every patrol car on duty New Year's eve sat under a freeway overpass from 11:50 pm until 12:10 am to avoid falling slugs from all the idiots who fire into the air at midnight. He was serious.

I am afraid that's nowhere close to being true. Firstly, a bullet in free-fall will tumble and not come down in a streamlined fashion, that's why gun barrels are rifled. Secondly, terminal velocity for a bullet in free-fall is less than 100 m/s, whereas the muzzle velocity of a bullet fired from a small arm typically is in excess of 1,000 m/s, that's a major difference. That's not saying that it wouldn't hurt to be hit by a falling bullet, but it's very unlikely to be fatal and wouldn't penetrate a typical roof (there was a Mythbusters episode covering this subject). Check these Wikipedia articles if interested: Terminal velocity, Muzzle velocity.

That said, people seem to be jumping to conclusions here. Nowhere in the article does it say that the bullet was fired into the air. It could just as easily have been fired from a window or roof of an adjacent (taller) building.

Sophon

• Like 1

Busted. Mythbusters have already debunked this. A bullet doesn't have enough mass falling to earth via gravity to go through the roof, or his leg. So he was shot, through the roof? Where was the shooter?

? High up? Weird life.

Well l can assure you that a falling bullet will penetrate a corrugated fibre roof, plus plaster board, and still have enough oomph to hurt, as it has happened to me in a brand new house. In my case l was lucky as it also landed on the bed not my head. I was advised that it's trajectory was around 450mt.

No interest from the police either.

Busted. Mythbusters have already debunked this. A bullet doesn't have enough mass falling to earth via gravity to go through the roof, or his leg. So he was shot, through the roof? Where was the shooter?

? High up? Weird life.

Well Mythbusters are full of sh*te then because I've witnessed it first hand.

When I was working in Libya we were using metal containers with plasterboard walls as offices and came into work one morning to find a hole in the ceiling, a piece chipped out of the corner of the desk and a spent bullet on the floor.

We also had a company vehicle that took a hit straight through the top of the windscreen and the bullet lodged in the dashboard.

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 1

I don't believe it, someone gets hit by a bullet and the police are not bothered.

yeah the police in the USA wouldnt waste bullets, they fire them at unarmed innocent black people.

but hey foreign police are infallible, only Thai police wear 'black hats'.

• Like 1

If he retrieved the empty casing he must've gone out to find the firing point. The empty casing wouldn't come through the roof unless they meant he retrieved the bullet which injured his le

indeed. more quality thai journalism. not only did the writer make a mistake but the sub-ed didnt pick it up either.

Anyway no reason for the police to refuse doing their job even more if the story didn't add up

? High up? Weird life.

I guess you didn't study high school physics. All objects fall at the same rate regardless of their wieght. Wind resistance may slow some objects, e.g a man in a parachute will fall slower than a bowling ball.

In anycase a bullet fired into the air will come down fast enough to hurt and even kill people.

Physics is obviously not one of your stronger points.

? High up? Weird life.

I guess you didn't study high school physics. All objects fall at the same rate regardless of their wieght. Wind resistance may slow some objects, e.g a man in a parachute will fall slower than a bowling ball.

In anycase a bullet fired into the air will come down fast enough to hurt and even kill people.

Yeah, they fall at terminal velocity which while a velocity is rarely enough to hurt anyone significantly with a small falling object.