Burmese concert in Phuket 'may be cancelled' (video)

webfact

Burmese concert in Phuket ‘may be cancelled’. VIDEO
Nattha Thepbamrung

Ni Ni Khin Zaw is one of the Burmese stars due to appear at the concert.

PHUKET: -- A concert featuring major Burmese stars, scheduled for next Saturday (January 31), appears to be in doubt after provincial authorities expressed security concerns.

Giant posters advertising the Thai-Myanmar Cultural Relationship Concert have appeared in several places around the island, listing the stars, such as R-Zarni, Ni Ni Khin Zaw, Hun Htun and The Trees band.

The concert is scheduled to take place near the old bus station on Phang Nga Rd in Phuket Town with a ticket price of B500.

But Vice-Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosutthirak told The Phuket News that the concert may be cancelled.

“We [provincial authorities] were not told in advance about the concert. Staging a concert for thousand of people, especially foreign workers, poses a risk of violence and chaos,” he said.

“Security measures must be in place but no one – not the police nor provincial volunteers nor anyone else who should be involved – has been contacted by the concert organisers.

“There would have to be meetings between many organisations in advance to discuss how to manage security.

“There is also pressure from Phuket people [in the concert area] who are concerned about the potential for chaos.”

He said he understood that cancelling the concert would cause a lot of disappointment among Burmese people on the island, but “officials probably are not going to take the risk of letting it go ahead”.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/burmese-concert-in-phuket-may-be-cancelled-video-50739.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-26

“We [provincial authorities] were not told in advance about the concert. Staging a concert for thousand of people, especially foreign workers, poses a risk of violence and chaos,” he said.

Could you possibly write a sentence that isn't as racially ignorant or bigoted as this one ... probably not because it takes a special kind of person to achieve such; unfortunately the Thai authorities appear to excel in this area so it must have something to do with Thainess.

An example of not thinking before speaking. Or perhaps he was, and his true feelings came out?

Talk about a bad image for this country.

They are right partly though, people organizing concerts should talk ahead of time with the authorities to make sure security measures can be in place. This is normal even back in your home country.

However the racist remarks are not that good, Thais themselves are quite violent.. look at the bombings of the protesters in BKK. So its a bit stupid to blame foreigners but that is a favorite thing to do by Thais.

These concerts are dangerous.

I know it sounds strange but they have work camp rivalries just like the tech colleges in Bangkok and brawl at any occasion they cross paths.

Their chosen weapons are sharpen reinforced steel bars into a ice pick style weapon.

They get hopped up on yabah and alcohol and they turn wild.

Last year a few were murdered in this fashion.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/694534-Gang-brawl-near-Red-Cross-Fair-leaves-2-dead,-2-injured

Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 1

I know it sounds strange but they have work camp rivalries just like the tech colleges in Bangkok and brawl at any occasion they cross paths.

Their chosen weapons are sharpen reinforced steel bars into a ice pick style weapon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/694534-Gang-brawl-near-Red-Cross-Fair-leaves-2-dead,-2-injured

Yes, unfortunately all the PC correct comments above are missing out on reality.

"These concerts are dangerous." - I don't see them cancelling Thai concerts.

Did you read the story? The reasons are there.

It's a security issue. Nobody was even aware it was going to happen.

They haven't cancelled it yet and giving them time to organise security.

1000's of people attending not matter the race, it needs security in place.

" We [provincial authorities] were not told in advance about the concert. Staging a concert for thousand of people, especially foreign workers, poses a risk of violence and chaos,” he said.

“Security measures must be in place but no one – not the police nor provincial volunteers nor anyone else who should be involved – has been contacted by the concert organisers.

“There would have to be meetings between many organisations in advance to discuss how to manage security."

Edited by hansgruber

Did you read the story? The reasons are there.

It's a security issue. Nobody was even aware it was going to happen.

They haven't cancelled it yet and giving them time to organise security.

1000's of people attending not matter the race, it needs security in place.

" We [provincial authorities] were not told in advance about the concert. Staging a concert for thousand of people, especially foreign workers, poses a risk of violence and chaos,” he said.

“There would have to be meetings between many organisations in advance to discuss how to manage security."

Thousands of Burmese in the labour camps were aware of the concert. Do you honestly believe Thai officials had no idea this concert was being organised?

The Thai officials are just playing dumb on the matter - which isn't too hard for them. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Officials weren't notified of the concert by the promoter. Police knew nothing and neither provincial volunteers.

For something like this to go ahead their needs to be security. Plain and simple.

Of course I agree that there must be security at these events, regardless of the nationality of those attending.

My point is, I think they are full of BS when they say they knew nothing about it, therefore, may have to cancel it.

Officials weren't notified of the concert by the promoter. Police knew nothing and neither provincial volunteers.

For something like this to go ahead their needs to be security. Plain and simple.

Of course I agree that there must be security at these events, regardless of the nationality of those attending.

My point is, I think they are full of BS when they say they knew nothing about it, therefore, may have to cancel it.

It's up to the promoter to seek permission and work with police and volunteers for crowd control.

We're police just supposed to guess and just arrive on the day without the promoter liaising with them?

Can't expect the police to look out for billboards or local adverts and say hey we better go.

Where else in the world does that happen?

It's up to the promoter to seek permission and work with police and volunteers for crowd control.

We're police just supposed to guess and just arrive on the day without the promoter liaising with them?

Can't expect the police to look out for billboards or local adverts and say hey we better go.

coffee1.gif

coffee1.gif

Great insightful post. Glad you added much to the debate.