Getting your taxed savings interest back!

Pdavies99

The bank certificate is that one showing the tax deducted? Are they easy to get? I have never had one from my bank. Are they issued at the end of each calendar or financial year?

Very easy to get, no charge, just ask for your tax certificate, yes they show tax deducted etc, one for each passbook.

(They are issued only on request each year.)

They are available in January each year. I do not know the closing date to reclaim though.

Edited by Pdavies99

Just did it 5th year running,there are quite a lot of threads on the subject

Sure....just trying to help and show how it can be easily effected!

(And previous threads were unclear {in my opinion} how to do and suggested you must have a Thai speaker with you etc.)

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1

That's a very interesting post. Didn't know that, although my savings are obviously modest compared to yours, if you are receiving a 5 figure sum in rebate.

As I'm quitting the country this year I doubt I will follow it up, simply because my amounts would be small. Nevertheless, thanks.

By the way, I'm leaving partly because I simply cannot cope with the fluctuations in the exchange rate e.g. from 55 down to 49 in a matter of weeks. (It was 72 when I first came) Any forward budget planning on a modest frozen pension is simply impossible. Better off with the euro and an unfrozen pension.

Thanks again. This sort of info is what makes a forum worthwhile.

• Like 2

That's a very interesting post. Didn't know that, although my savings are obviously modest compared to yours, if you are receiving a 5 figure sum in rebate.

As I'm quitting the country this year I doubt I will follow it up, simply because my amounts would be small. Nevertheless, thanks.

By the way, I'm leaving partly because I simply cannot cope with the fluctuations in the exchange rate e.g. from 55 down to 49 in a matter of weeks. (It was 72 when I first came) Any forward budget planning on a modest frozen pension is simply impossible. Better off with the euro and an unfrozen pension.

Thanks again. This sort of info is what makes a forum worthwhile.

I suppose you're English. Friends if me left from Thailand to the South of Spain last year mainly for the same reason.

Other BIG advantages: pensions were unfrozen and they went up with approx GBP 500 per month; free medical services; standard if living similar than in Thailand; weather better bearable (not too hot)

Went today to get my interest back. One item not mentioned above is that you have to get a tax number (maybe only for first time applicants) and to get a tax number you have to present a tabien bahn. So i had to make two trips but otherwise an easy thing to do.

Went today to get my interest back. One item not mentioned above is that you have to get a tax number (maybe only for first time applicants) and to get a tax number you have to present a tabien bahn. So i had to make two trips but otherwise an easy thing to do.

Hi there

I did mention you get a Tax ID at desk 5 or 6, you DO NOT need to present a Tabien Bahn, merely proof of address!

I rent so I know how I effected this last week.

Anyhow if you read my list of how to do, which I thought was fairly self explanatory then it can be effected in one visit!

Regardless as I said I am just trying to assist in an area which I thought would be useful to know!

Why bother posting then? or are you trying to show you are an experienced expert on the subject?

No unlike you i was making a valid point ,that there are many threads running on the subject in case anyone wants to read them ,not just being rude.

What do you do with the personal income tax return they send you every year once you have a tax number and you are 'in the system'?

Hi there

I did mention you get a Tax ID at desk 5 or 6, you DO NOT need to present a Tabien Bahn, merely proof of address!

I rent so I know how I effected this last week.

Anyhow if you read my list of how to do, which I thought was fairly self explanatory then it can be effected in one visit!

Regardless as I said I am just trying to assist in an area which I thought would be useful to know!

I did take two proofs of address as suggested but she wouldn't accept them. Had to go back home and get my tabien bahn.

Sorry didn't mean to be critical, your post was very helpful. Just outlining my experience.

• Like 1

What do you do with the personal income tax return they send you every year once you have a tax number and you are 'in the system'?

When is this normally sent out? I applied last year for the first time and received a tax ID number but have not seen any return yet?

By the way OP I think you have to or are supposed to apply by March 31st for the preceding year - Jan to Dec. Happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

When is this normally sent out? I applied last year for the first time and received a tax ID number but have not seen any return yet?

By the way OP I think you have to or are supposed to apply by March 31st for the preceding year - Jan to Dec. Happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

I've been claiming the tax back for three years now. I didn't get the form (which is a P.N.D. 90) until the second year, I think it came last February so I'm expecting another one soon. I don't have any income in Thailand other than the small amount of interest on my bank accounts so I'm well under the tax-free allowance. I was wondering whether to send the form back with a load of zeroes on it when somebody told me that his friend had filled it in and returned it and he'd included his British pension which, although small, was well over the tax free allowance. Lo and behold the Thai tax man then wanted him to pay tax on his UK pension even though he was already paying British tax on it as there's no reciprocal agreement. Needless to say, my P.N.D. 90 went straight in the bin after that. I'd be interested to hear of other people's experience of this and what they have done.

Anyone?

I've been claiming the tax back for three years now. I didn't get the form (which is a P.N.D. 90) until the second year, I think it came last February so I'm expecting another one soon. I don't have any income in Thailand other than the small amount of interest on my bank accounts so I'm well under the tax-free allowance. I was wondering whether to send the form back with a load of zeroes on it when somebody told me that his friend had filled it in and returned it and he'd included his British pension which, although small, was well over the tax free allowance. Lo and behold the Thai tax man then wanted him to pay tax on his UK pension even though he was already paying British tax on it as there's no reciprocal agreement. Needless to say, my P.N.D. 90 went straight in the bin after that. I'd be interested to hear of other people's experience of this and what they have done.

Anyone?

Thanks for the positive feedback from many friends etc, as I said I am only trying to help.

As to putting your UK pension on the claims form, well I spoke to the Jomtien Revenue office and she told me that as a "retired" foreigner that the Thai Revenue system is only interested in Income, pensions etc that are originated / derived in Thailand. ie Thai salaries, Thai pensions, Thai based investments etc.

She showed me a webpage which confirmed that, of course though if you start putting down overseas incomes and pensions then I guess you may confuse them? Finally there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK Inland Revenue Regs.

See: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/in-force/t.htm

UK/THAILAND DOUBLE TAXATION CONVENTION
SIGNED 18 FEBRUARY 1981
Entered into force 20 November 1981
Effective in United Kingdom from 1January 1981 for petroleum tax, from 1 April 1981 for corporation tax and development land tax
and from 6 April 1981 for personal / business income tax and capital gains tax Effective in Thailand from 1 January 1981
Edited by Pdavies99

They do not send one you just use the original one given to you,I have for 5 years now,they are very helpfully this year I got my tax cheque back in 2 weeks,fastest time ever

Anyone?

Thanks for the positive feedback from many friends etc, as I said I am only trying to help.

As to putting your UK pension on the claims form, well I spoke to the Jomtien Revenue office and she told me that as a "retired" foreigner that the Thai Revenue system is only interested in Income, pensions etc that are originated / derived in Thailand. ie Thai salaries, Thai pensions, Thai based investments etc.

She showed me a webpage which confirmed that, of course though if you start putting down overseas incomes and pensions then I guess you may confuse them? Finally there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK Inland Revenue Regs.

SIGNED 18 FEBRUARY 1981
Effective in United Kingdom from 1January 1981 for petroleum tax, from 1 April 1981 for corporation tax and development land tax
and from 6 April 1981 for personal / business income tax and capital gains tax Effective in Thailand from 1 January 1981

I am very surprised that anyone who has found out about claiming tax back and actually gone and done it was conflicted/naïve enough to declare his pension payments facepalm.gif Why create potential issues when none exist.....

As I Claudius mentioned earlier there have been enough threads on TV alone that it should have been clear.

And OP other threads suggest that can be taxed on other income if you bring it into the country in the same year it is earned (Jan-Dec). Therefore I would suggest never declare as there is no way the Thai tax authorities could know when you earned the money you transfer in.

It would be useful to check the web page that she showed you. Do you have the link?

Anyone?

SIGNED 18 FEBRUARY 1981

I am very surprised that anyone who has found out about claiming tax back and actually gone and done it was conflicted/naïve enough to declare his pension payments facepalm.gif Why create potential issues when none exist.....

As I Claudius mentioned earlier there have been enough threads on TV alone that it should have been clear.

And OP other threads suggest that can be taxed on other income if you bring it into the country in the same year it is earned (Jan-Dec). Therefore I would suggest never declare as there is no way the Thai tax authorities could know when you earned the money you transfer in.

It would be useful to check the web page that she showed you. Do you have the link?

No, sorry I do not have the link, it was what they showed me at the Revenue Office.

I think I have done enough "helping" now, so good luck and do your own thing as they say!

Bye Bye!!

I'm beginning to think there are a bunch of grumpy sarcastic deeply troubled old men that have nothing better to do than scan these forums looking for what they think is an opportunity to share their unhappy sad existence by spawning their verbal depressed crap on anyone that is trying to help others by sharing their great experiences for all to benefit.

Yes there are many threads about this subject none of which I have read that are specific to Pattaya and none that share the helpful detail that the OP took time to provide

A big thanks to the OP for taking the time.

and to those that are critical of positive contribution on TVF - look down behind that computer and you will see a black wire coming out the back and into the wall, pull it out take the box with the button on the front and put it in the garbage and go seek some help with your problems

A big thank you!!

I'm beginning to think there are a bunch of grumpy sarcastic deeply troubled old men that have nothing better to do than scan these forums looking for what they think is an opportunity to share their unhappy sad existence by spawning their verbal depressed crap on anyone that is trying to help others by sharing their great experiences for all to benefit.

Yes there are many threads about this subject none of which I have read that are specific to Pattaya and none that share the helpful detail that the OP took time to provide

and to those that are critical of positive contribution on TVF - look down behind that computer and you will see a black wire coming out the back and into the wall, pull it out take the box with the button on the front and put it in the garbage and go seek some help with your problems

The subject is taxation which is the same country wide, the tax treatment of foreigners is also the same, no matter where you live, Pattaya is not unique or anything special when it comes to taxation! Perhaps you should try reading some of those many threads on this subject that you know exist but have failed to read!

The OP and others may wish to watch the following thread where this topic and many other related debates are raised continuously:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-65

Finally, It's unusual that I might agree or support IC on anything but on this point his posts are correct, rarely so however.laugh.png

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

The subject is taxation which is the same country wide, the tax treatment of foreigners is also the same, no matter where you live, Pattaya is not unique or anything special when it comes to taxation! Perhaps you should try reading some of those many threads on this subject that you know exist but have failed to read!

The OP and others may wish to watch the following thread where this topic and many other related debates are raised continuously:

Finally, It's unusual that I might agree or support IC on anything but on this point his posts are correct, rarely so however.laugh.png

you just can't help yourselves and you even managed to drop an insult on the guy - go and get some help, if I was to say what I really think about you and your contribution I would most likely get a posting holiday - I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks

having lived here for almost 10 years I have learned that regional public offices can vary in procedure and process, so again it is great that the OP took the time to share his experience with us all in this particular part of the country and with this government office. Nothing short of a stellar contribution to TVF

• Like 2

you just can't help yourselves and you even managed to drop an insult on the guy - go and get some help, if I was to say what I really think about you and your contribution I would most likely get a posting holiday - I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks

having lived here for almost 10 years I have learned that regional public offices can vary in procedure and process, so again it is great that the OP took the time to share his experience with us all in this particular part of the country and with this government office. Nothing short of a stellar contribution to TVF

Nobody cares what you might think of me, the subject is taxation on bank accounts in Thailand!

As for having lived here for ten years, you seem not to have learnt much in that time:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-62#entry8939243

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-61#entry8862644

Nobody cares what you might think of me, the subject is taxation on bank accounts in Thailand!

As for having lived here for ten years, you seem not to have learnt much in that time:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-62#entry8939243

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-61#entry8862644

Why so rude ,people are just trying to help?

• Like 1