Tottenham Thread

chonabot

"Problem is you only see what you want to"

Think you'll find if you can be bothered to look on here that I posted that I like the look of W*nk but replacing your best player (sure one of you lot stated this)...are you sure?. The other kid I don't know too much about having not seen much of him and as I don't particularly rate vertoghen then maybe you're right he will be replaced by the kid.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

"And they could well be giving us 40m for Walker.  I'll drive him there for that!!"

I'm hoping we don't make a move for Walker; I'd prefer bringing back home Trippier now Zaba is off. I'm amazed we don't move for Apz at Chelsea; now that's a fullback.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Problem is you only see what you want to"

Think you'll find if you can be bothered to look on here that I posted that I like the look of W*nk but replacing your best player (sure one of you lot stated this). The other kid I don't know too much having not seen much of him and as I don't particularly rate vertoghen then maybe you're right he will be replaced by the kid.

Only you could come on a post about not rating a player that has been part of the best defense these past couple of years and viewed by many as part of the best center back pairing in the league!  Nice one Trig!!

Carter-Vickers is an outstanding young player, two footed ball playing defender that took a nasty injury last season otherwise you would have seen more of him.  Makes the 50m you mugs spent on Stones look like utter lunacy

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"And they could well be giving us 40m for Walker.  I'll drive him there for that!!"

I'm hoping we don't make a move for Walker; I'd prefer bringing back home Trippier now Zaba is off. I'm amazed we don't move for Apz at Chelsea; now that's a fullback.

Chelsea would't sell you Dave.  He's too good and they wouldn't want to strengthen you would they?  Trippier has pretty much overtaken Walker in the pecking order and frankly Walker's the only player i can see leaving.  Defensively he's suspect and his final ball is nowhere near as good as Trippier.  

We also have a 19yo, Walker-Peters thats come through the academy and is very highly rated by Pochettino

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How can you even think that Apz would leave the chavs to play for you ? i'd loved to know how your mind work's Trig !

Edited by alfieconn

Yeah I don't rate vertoghen. Never rated at all before Toby came along. I would agree that vertoghen has improved alongside t'other fella. But no I don't rate him.

Noted your opinion of Carter-Vickers, lets see if hes as good ss you say and nails down a spurs centreback position and is better than Stones.

What's with the name calling?

"Defensively he's suspect and his final ball is nowhere near as good as Trippier." Which is why I hope we don't make a move for Walker; good energy, fast, defensively suspect. It was a shame a few years back that we couldn't keep Trippier as he looked very decent but he couldn't shift Zaba.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1 minute ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Anyone know if the building of a new stadium holding 61,000 was designed to piss of Arsenal fans so they could have the larger capacity?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes it was :biggrin:

• Like 1

I am not a big football fan but I thought it worth mentioning that there are two very good pieces in today's Guardian.

The first is a photo shoot of the new and old stadiums.

The second is an article on the history of the original White Hart lane stadium with photographs going back as far as the 1930s.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, carmine said:

What i'm reading in your posts is a basic, fundamental lack of understanding on the philosophy of the Bielsa brand of football that Pochettino has adopted.  You are as far off the mark as it is possible to be.  Pochettino will be doing the total opposite to what you are suggesting.  

Even Dembele and Vertonghen at 29yo are veterans on borrowed time, with teenage replacements lined up.

Thanks for sharing, I thought Tottenham's adoption of youth went a bit further back myself. I still think he'll try to identify an experienced head.

51 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Yep really jealous, wish we had pots of money to buy one :sad:

In all seriousness though Alfie. I know you like your net spend and youth etc and fair dinkum but nothing and I mean NOTHING in all my years of going watching City can describe my enjoyment of getting that first Prem title in 2012. I really don't think anything that may happen in football, can equal that feeling again. Even if we ever go on to win the Champs League it won't be the same as that day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interesting on this forum that you never see chelsea accused or any other team accussed of buying the Premier, only City. Abromovich has been at chelsea 5 years longer than the sheikh at City, guess he's now been accepted has he.

Hahaha you haven't been paying attention then.

Chelsea buying up half of Europe then loaning out all the best players is a whole other ballgame!

3 hours ago, rott said:

Got bored waiting for it to come on, so gave up.

Opens up ok here? Get a faster PC!:wink: Here it is for anyone with problems opening it.

The Shelf at Tottenham once made White Hart Lane London's most hostile stadium

Times change, stadiums change but football’s folklore keeps a grip on our imagination. On Sunday, White Hart Lane hosts its last game when Tottenham Hotspur play Manchester United. The old ground will be missed but one of its greatest attributes has already been largely forgotten.

Mention the Kop to fans and most think of Liverpool. The Shed immediately conjures up images of Chelsea. Both of these famous terraces have long been seated and are unrecognisable from their heyday as standing areas. Yet at Anfield and the Bridge their aura lingers even for the present generation. Bring up the Shelf and few modern supporters know anything about it.

The Shelf was Tottenham’s glory, even when the glory, glory days were gone. It was a vast, two tiered standing area that ran the length of the touchline of what is now the East Stand. A third level contained seats but it was the double layer of terracing that made it special. Nearly 20,000 people could cram into this area. When the Shelf roared, it sent waves of fear through opposing fans and players. When it bounced, the stadium shivered and quaked.

At a time when the trend was to locate terraces and the most vehement fans behind goals letting the noise flow end-to-end, this sidelong stretch of the ground was different. The chants boomed across the pitch. It was the focus for atmosphere at the Lane.

There were other places where the noisiest, most passionate fans stood along the touchline. The Kippax at Maine Road was a huge, lively section. By the 1970s its impact was diminished because Manchester City placed the away support in the Kippax’s corner. Rival fans could not see the epicentre of City’s chanting.

The Chicken Run at Upton Park was notorious but was changed from an all-standing section in the late 1960s. Both these places have lingered longer in football’s collective memory than the Shelf, even though the White Hart Lane terrace was more fearsome.

The two levels and steepness of the steps made it feel that fans and sound were tumbling down on to the pitch. This impression was bolstered by the top tier of stand, which seemed to be leaning over the lower areas. From the Park Lane where away fans stood, the entire length of the Shelf was visible: some 120 yards of double-decker hostility.

At Old Trafford the Stretford End was a pitch-length distant. It was the same with the North Bank at Highbury. Their power dissipated with distance. They felt remote.

At the Lane the Shelf seemed to sidle up to you and give you the most unpleasant of shoulder barges. It felt too close when you were in the visitors’ section.

Up until the early 1990s when all-seater stadiums became compulsory, Tottenham was perhaps the most forbidding place for travelling supporters to visit in London. Taking that long, exposed walk down the High Road from Seven Sisters Underground was a march of dread for away fans. Once at their destination the ferocity of the Shelf made them feel queasy about the return journey. Trips to West Ham, Chelsea and even Millwall never inspired as much trepidation for some of us.

The 1986 FA Cup semi-final gave me an opportunity to stand on the Shelf. Liverpool were playing Southampton and were allocated the long stretch of terrace. It was everything I imagined. In the higher standing tier had good sightlines. Standing near the halfway line gave a much better view of the game. The best thing about it was that it produced a sonic boom of chants. Even as a Kopite it was easy to envy Shelf dwellers.

It deserved to be hailed as one of the iconic symbols of terrace culture. Why did it never receive the same status as other legendary sections? Perhaps because of the Lane’s camera placement. Television showed Tottenham games from the Shelf’s point of view. Armchair viewers became familiar with Aston Villa’s Holte End and Newcastle United’s Gallowgate. They could see fans in those places singing and celebrating as the ball went into the net. At Tottenham, cameramen had their back to the Shelf, explaining its relative anonymity.

That made it more scary the first time you saw it in the flesh. It was one of the great sights of the game. We’ll all miss the Lane. But it has never been quite the same since the Shelf was shelved.  

Wilia's unfortunatly doesnt show the gallary though which should be herehttp://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/the-shelf-at-tottenham-once-made-white-hart-lane-londons-most-hostile-stadium-a3537971.html#gallery

Edit sori seems to take u through to the article but trust  me its worth the wait. The gallery is halfway down the article

Edited by 3 minus 2

4 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks for sharing, I thought Tottenham's adoption of youth went a bit further back myself. I still think he'll try to identify an experienced head.

fair comment however when an 'older expirenced head' works said player generally has taken a step down, so rules most of the prem out.!!!  Ibro going to  utd' s probably your best most recent example.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Impressed with the 40,000 at the Women's FA Cup final yesterday. City's 4th goal was quality.

Decent turn out, the womens game is really  catching on

especially at grass roots. ÀND they play some decent football.

56 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

fair comment however when an 'older expirenced head' works said player generally has taken a step down, so rules most of the prem out.!!!  Ibro going to  utd' s probably your best most recent example.

I'd say defoe is as good as example. Bringing him back to the prem and proving his worth. A step up in many ways too when you compare leagues.