Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Just now, RickG16 said:

It's obviously a good list with some great players (even though you forgot Rivaldo :p), and respect for rising to the challenge....... 

But comon mate.. He was a great player, but how many title winning sides was Zola a cornerstone of? And Woodgate, Owen, Jimmy H? If they are world class, Becks was too.

Beckham sits comfortably in that list. 

The question was relative to being effective and I thought those players were more effective than Beckham at the time. Owen was on fire during those years as was hasselbaink. Woodgate had his best season ever 99/00. I'm shocked you question Zola inclusion the guy lit up the pitch. Bergkamp too he was overlooked and he was miles past Beckham. He was a good player but I think even he would admit he was not world class. George wear was world class for 5 minutes too. Lampard and gerard were truly world class as was John Terry as much as I hate to admit it.

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

R2D2 showing he knows how to google search :clap2:

Interesting that everyone is having a discussion but you instead choose to discuss google searches. If it ain't sky blue it aint for you I'm guessing.

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The question was relative to being effective and I thought those players were more effective than Beckham at the time. Owen was on fire during those years as was hasselbaink. Woodgate had his best season ever 99/00. I'm shocked you question Zola inclusion the guy lit up the pitch. Bergkamp too he was overlooked and he was miles past Beckham. He was a good player but I think even he would admit he was not world class. George wear was world class for 5 minutes too. Lampard and gerard were truly world class as was John Terry as much as I hate to admit it.

I wouldn't necessarily argue that those players aren't world class. But in comparison then Becks must be.

You are acting as if he was a passenger in those 6 title winning sides (in 8 seasons!) when in fact he was won of the most effective players. 

15 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Interesting that everyone is having a discussion but you instead choose to discuss google searches. If it ain't sky blue it aint for you I'm guessing.

I set the subject youre enjoying debating when i gave my opinion on Beckham. Nothing more for me to discuss. But I'm  enjoying reading you guys debating it. 

Surprised no one has mentioned that the 1999 FIFA World Player of the Year award, David Beckham took second place, the highest ever position for an English footballer. (Googled it).

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Surprised no one has mentioned that the 1999 FIFA World Player of the Year award, David Beckham took second place, the highest ever position for an English footballer. (Googled it).

Good info.... So I expect you'll be changing your position on whether he was world class....

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Zidane 

Ronaldinho 

Roberto Carlos

Luis Figo

Casillas

Marquez

Thierry Henry 

Vieira

Scholes

Giggs

Shevchenko 

Maldini 

Raul

Buffon

Batistuta

Michael Owen

Hasselbaink 

Ferdinand

Woodgate 

Keane

Zola

Ballack

No Di Canio or Tevez........can’t believe it ????

Just now, Kadilo said:

Good call. I lost a few years somewhere 

Tevez was undoubtedly world class though. What happened to that Ener Valencia dude who you picked after at Brazil '14? He looked good for a couple of games... 

Just now, RickG16 said:

Tevez was undoubtedly world class though. What happened to that Ener Valencia dude who you picked after at Brazil '14? He looked good for a couple of games... 

Tevez world class???

Great player and there is no doubt it was about his skills on the pitch but world class I'm not sure. Hemay be world class to Kadilo for obvious reasons but I'm not sure he was good enough to be regarded as world class 

Just now, RickG16 said:

So if not on the pitch which skills are you judging... How well he butters his toast? 

You misunderstand the point. 

Becks had a lot of off field pull. So basically if he did not have that I doubt he would have played for madrid. Anyway utd sold DB23 in 2003 and had another 10 years of success so it was no great loss. The only downside to that Fergie era is they only lifted 1 European cup which a team so well oiled and with apparent world class players, should have done better in that comp

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

You misunderstand the point. 

Becks had a lot of off field pull. So basically if he did not have that I doubt he would have played for madrid. Anyway utd sold DB23 in 2003 and had another 10 years of success so it was no great loss. The only downside to that Fergie era is they only lifted 1 European cup which a team so well oiled and with apparent world class players, should have done better in that comp

You're going way off track... We will agree to disagree on Becks.

But you are saying Tevez wasn't world class because he wasn't angel off the pitch? Let's take Maradona off the list too shall we.....

Just now, RickG16 said:

You're going way off track... We will agree to disagree on Becks.

But you are saying Tevez wasn't world class because he wasn't angel off the pitch? Let's take Maradona off the list too shall we.....

Nope never said anything like that. I said he was a great player and his only attributes were definitely on the pitch unlike Beckham whose move to RM was more about shirt sales than his ability.

I said he was a great player and his only attributes were definitely on the pitch

But for you still not good enough to be world class.... Yet Jonathan Woodgate was.

Jesus mate.... I'll hand you back to your missus to argue about avocados. 

44 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Looked great for a while. We loaned him out to Everton last season. Didn’t do much. 

Now hes playing in Mexico, Wiki tells me. 

Edited by Kadilo

Just now, RickG16 said:

But for you still not good enough to be world class.... Yet Jonathan Woodgate was.

You asked about the year 2000. 

Woodgate was the best defender along with Ferdinand. 

Listen sunny I know it's a tough time for you trying to find the right mop bucket is difficult and on top of that conundrum your beloved boss is well and truly on the ropes so I'll  forgive you for over stating how good ex utd players were. If I was a Utd fan I would no doubt be stuck in the past too, as the future looks very bleak.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Can't argue with Woodgate's 120 caps or his CL winners medals nor his transfer to Barcelona and huge success there.

You asked about the year 2000. 

Woodgate was the best defender along with Ferdinand. 

Listen sunny I know it's a tough time for you trying to find the right mop bucket is difficult and on top of that conundrum your beloved boss is well and truly on the ropes so I'll  forgive you for over stating how good ex utd players were. If I was a Utd fan I would no doubt be stuck in the past too, as the future looks very bleak.

I won't argue with this post....ridiculous team selection today too...I did have a chuckle when I saw it.

Just now, Rc2702 said:

Listen sunny I know it's a tough time for you trying to find the right mop bucket is difficult 

Bro if only you knew the full story of the mop bucket. It's still not finished.

But yeah I'm fearing today's game especially with Martial in the side. They all owe Jose a performance. Not normally a smoker but I'm feeling the urge to pop out and buy some... Enjoy the game!

Just now, RickG16 said:

But yeah I'm fearing today's game especially with Martial in the side. They all owe Jose a performance. Not normally a smoker but I'm feeling the urge to pop out and buy some... Enjoy the game!

Don't you, R2D2 and Carmine all live in Samui? You could get together over babychams to discuss mops, avacados  and Carmine's Shoot annuals.

Just now, RickG16 said:

What's the story then. Your neighbour nick you mop bucket with 3k inside it or something?

The important thing was the three point but a sub standard performance in all.  The international break has come at a good time for us because the only crisis we have is an injury crisis and we desperately need these key players back.  We did enough against a relegation bound Cardiff side, didn't take our chances and allowed them chances that with a bit of luck would have seen them get something out of the game.  So, generally speaking nowhere near where we need to be with a tough month ahead of us.

I really hope Rose was precautionary, if he goes that will mean seven players crocked and key ones at that, and since posting i've just edited because its been confirmed Rose has a groin injury!!  Seven out and a ridiculously packed october fixture list.  

Plus points that i have to try and find!;  our best ever start to a EPL season despite no home ground and a full blown injury crisis although we can probably kiss the CL goodbye at the end of the group stages.

Edited by carmine