Tottenham Thread

chonabot

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure how I missed this one but a Spurs fan for best part of 40 years. Alright not easy I know but support is support right?

As a first offering I am not sad to see Jol gone but the way it was done was pathetic. Sure the players admired the bloke but as far as taking Spurs on I don't believe it would have happened and to me one of his main failings was in the transfer market. What did the man ever see in the likes of Rocha? Also we have needed a horrible bastard to put the boot in (Scholes comes to mind) for many a year and bringing in Jennas, Zakora and Malbranque (all lovely lads in their own right) but without Mr Horrible opposition are always going to dance through the middle of the park.

To me January schould see the back of Salteri / Rocha / Malbranque / Lee / Tanio / Huddlestone and even Lennon who contributes about 7 minutes a match which is not good when your down. Alright we need to have players lined up to allow this to happen but that's what transfer windows are about right?

This season? Well get out of the UEFA and League cups soon as and concentrate on the league and just the one cup. We can't afford to play 60 games again and end up with nothing so why try?

Things will get better but we are crying out for a dominant centre half (Dawson does it up top but not on the deck and King is forever sidelined) and that horrible sod in the middle just has to arrive but time will tell what the new gaffer has in mind.

I couldnt agree more about the horible sod in the centre. In the glory days Mackay,Blanchflower and Bobby Smith kicked them of the patk fir the first 10 minutes and then played football

Not sure how I missed this one but a Spurs fan for best part of 40 years. Alright not easy I know but support is support right?

As a first offering I am not sad to see Jol gone but the way it was done was pathetic. Sure the players admired the bloke but as far as taking Spurs on I don't believe it would have happened and to me one of his main failings was in the transfer market. What did the man ever see in the likes of Rocha? Also we have needed a horrible bastard to put the boot in (Scholes comes to mind) for many a year and bringing in Jennas, Zakora and Malbranque (all lovely lads in their own right) but without Mr Horrible opposition are always going to dance through the middle of the park.

To me January schould see the back of Salteri / Rocha / Malbranque / Lee / Tanio / Huddlestone and even Lennon who contributes about 7 minutes a match which is not good when your down. Alright we need to have players lined up to allow this to happen but that's what transfer windows are about right?

This season? Well get out of the UEFA and League cups soon as and concentrate on the league and just the one cup. We can't afford to play 60 games again and end up with nothing so why try?

Things will get better but we are crying out for a dominant centre half (Dawson does it up top but not on the deck and King is forever sidelined) and that horrible sod in the middle just has to arrive but time will tell what the new gaffer has in mind.

Welcome, and a nice post sir !

They know they'll never win anything......just like the other 95% of us :D

Correction. We know they'll never win anything......

As for the 95%, you obviously don't know Spuds supporters. :D

They're not so endeared to West Ham supporters for their level headed humility you must realise. :o

Having said that , they don't all fit the streotype. Only about 95% do. :D

They're not so endeared to West Ham supporters for their level headed humility you must realise. :o

Fair play HH , Spurs have won a shedload of trophies over the years and they - hopefully - will do so again in the future - as for yourselves - well.......you won't know what you're missing - so we're all happy ..... :D

Fair play HH , Spurs have won a shedload of trophies over the years and they - hopefully - will do so again in the future - as for yourselves - well.......you won't know what you're missing - so we're all happy ..... :D

The only cup you've won recently is the Amstrad Traders trophy and an award for second place (after Man City) for having the most managers in the shortest period. However you did manage to achieve the distiction of having the biggest budget for the smallest return in the premiership. Mind you we're starting to compete with you with Freddie Lameberg, Kinjured Dire, Bellendemy, and Flaubert, a French writer rumoured to be a footballer, as well, who cost a lot of money but likes the atmosphere of Upton Park where he has the time to concentrate on turning out gritty realistic novels. :bah:

Thanks for bringing the thread back to life chon, Could you possibly do it for the spurs??? :o

Gus Poyet sees tonight's home encounter against Aalborg as the key game in our UEFA Cup group.

We recovered from defeat in the first of our four group games against Getafe to beat Hapoel Tel Aviv last time out and now face the Danish side knowing victory should be enough to progress into the last 32 - six points booked your place in the last 32 last season.

"I've watched a few videos, read the scouting reports and Aalborg are a difficult side to play against," reported the first team coach. "They are seven games unbeaten, very organised, a big side, put a lot of effort into set-peices and break quickly.

"It's one of those games you have to be spot on to win.

"We have to concentrate and play quick, play it simple and be patient because they will have players behind the ball. It's a UEFA Cup game and we have to play at that level.

"We have to be patient and we'll need the supporters behind us and a great atmosphere for 90, 95 minutes.

"People say to me 'teams play in front of big crowds every week' but I say 'no, it only happens in England'. There's no other country in Europe that you play every week in front of a full house and we want them under pressure with the noise from the stadium."

Spurs

Honours

Domestic Leagues

Football League First Division / Premier League 2

1950-51, 1960-61

Runners-Up (4): 1921-22, 1951-52, 1956-57, 1962-63

Football League Second Division 2

1919-20, 1949-50

Runners-Up (2): 1908-09, 1932-33

Southern League 1

1899-1900

Western League 1

1903-04

Football League North and South 2

1943-44, 1944-45

Domestic Cups

FA Cup 8

1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991

Runners-Up (1): 1986/87

Football League Cup 3

1970-71, 1972-73, 1998-99

Runners-Up (2): 1981/82, 2001/02

FA Community Shield 7

1920-21, 1951-52, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1967-68*, 1981-82*, 1991-92* (*shared)

European Cups

UEFA Cup 2

1972, 1984

Runners-Up (1): 1973-74

European Cup Winners' Cup 1

Anglo-Italian League Cup 1

Pre Season Tournaments

Kirin Cup 1

Peace Cup 1

Vodacom Challenge 1

The Irons

European Cup Winners' Cup Winners: 1964-65

UEFA Intertoto Cup Winners: 1999

League

Division Two Champions: 1957-1958, 1980-81

Football League Championship Play-Off Winners: 2005

Western Football League Champions 1907/8

Cup

FA Cup Winners: 1964, 1975, 1980

Charity Shield: 1964 (shared)

Football League War Cup Winners: 1940

Milk Cup Winners: 1996 (Junior) & 1997 (Junior)

Other

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Team Award: 1965 ...... :o

You can't argue with History...and it will repeat itself - oh yes...... coys

Spurs

Honours

Domestic Leagues

1950-51, 1960-61

1919-20, 1949-50

Southern League 1

1899-1900

Western League 1

1903-04

1943-44, 1944-45

Domestic Cups

FA Cup 8

Football League Cup 3

FA Community Shield 7

European Cups

UEFA Cup 2

1972, 1984

Pre Season Tournaments

Kirin Cup 1

Peace Cup 1

Vodacom Challenge 1

The Irons

League

Cup

Other

But you forgot the big one 1966. We are the only club in history to have won the World Cup! :D

Spurs

Honours

Domestic Leagues

1950-51, 1960-61

1919-20, 1949-50

Southern League 1

1899-1900

Western League 1

1903-04

1943-44, 1944-45

Domestic Cups

FA Cup 8

Football League Cup 3

FA Community Shield 7

European Cups

UEFA Cup 2

1972, 1984

Pre Season Tournaments

Kirin Cup 1

Peace Cup 1

Vodacom Challenge 1

The Irons

League

Cup

Other

But you forgot the big one 1966. We are the only club in history to have won the World Cup! :D

:D

I am 50 + years Spurs supporter and I have been quiet on this thread for a while now.

Some of you may recall my wailing and gnashing of teeth against Jol, even when he "seemed" to be doing OK, but IMHO he just lucked out for a couple of seasons, winning games he should have lost, and losing a lot of games he should have won, but threw away because there was not enough 'steel' and 'nous' instilled in the team by a weak manager.

I believe events subsequently proved me to be correct.

Last night was the first time, for a very long time, that we saw a Spurs 'turn around' which was the direct result of intelligent intervention by a good manager who knows how to substitute and motivate players properly at this level.

An encouraging beginning, but a long way to go.

But at least there is hope, whereas before, only despair. :o

Great 2nd half - shows Ramos may be the man for the job , without a doubt Spurs have the best Squad in the prem - outside the top 4 - and this was proven last night. Bale looks like he could be a great player in a few years.

I remember a few chaps on the board - Irons fans? - saying we wouldn't qualify from this group.....

This is for you....

UEFA Cup : Group G Table

29 November 2007 21:38

P W D L F A GD PTS

1 Tottenham 3 2 0 1 6 4 2 6

2 Anderlecht 2 1 1 0 3 1 2 4

3 Getafe 2 1 0 1 3 3 0 3

4 Hapoel Tel-Aviv 3 1 0 2 2 5 -3 3

5 Aalborg 2 0 1 1 3 4 -1 1

:o

Sometimes I wish I supported someone else

I think we've all felt like that at some point. Being a City fan, i've probably felt it more than most but there is no changing of colours...ever. :D

Exactly , but City are having a good one for a change - except for the impending matches on the 9th and 18th of december...... :o

Sometimes I wish I supported someone else

I think we've all felt like that at some point. Being a City fan, i've probably felt it more than most but there is no changing of colours...ever. :D

Exactly , but City are having a good one for a change - except for the impending matches on the 9th and 18th of december...... :o

Yep, one at yours and one at ours. Maybe finish honours even :D

Now thats what I call a come back!

Juande Ramos refused to take the credit after his half-time changes turned the tide against Aalborg on Thursday night.

Trailing 2-0 at the break after being second best in the first half, the Head Coach replaced injured Jermaine Jenas and Young-Pyo Lee with striker Darren Bent and midfielder Tom Huddlestone.

Bent was pushed furthest forward with support slightly deeper from Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov, Didier Zokora stepped into the defensive line and both Pascal Chimbonda and Gareth Bale were encouraged to push on down the flanks.

It worked a treat - in fact, within a minute of the restart, when Huddlestone threaded a pass through for Dimitar Berbatov to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

Our tails were up from that point. Steed Malbranque levelled within five minutes and Bent poked home what turned out to be the winner from Aaron Lennon's cross after 66 minutes.

"The credit has to go to the players, who had a fantastic second half," said Juande. "There was a lot of intensity, especially after the disastrous first half.

"Things weren't going well in the first half, we had a heavy scoreline against us and that weighed heavily on the team. It wasn't the fault of any one player - any credit or failure is proportional and not the fault of one player, but the group.

"At half-time we reminded the players that the game lasts for 90 minutes, we had to continue working and that it was possible to turn the negative scoreline around.

"The first two goals came quickly so we had plenty of time to score a third, which thankfully we got and the win leaves us well position in our group."

The win took us to the top of Group G, having played a game more than Anderlecht, who we face next Thursday.

In Thursday night's other group game, Hapoel Tel Aviv surprisingly beat Getafe 2-1 in Spain.

Nothing is decided yet in the group but we are now on six points and in the three seasons of the UEFA Cup's group stage system (and therefore 24 groups played so far) a team gaining six points has only failed to progress on one occasion - Rangers back in 2004-05.

Top of the group and well on the way!

Come on you spurs!

Disapointing!

It turned out to be an afternoon of conflicting emotions for Robbie Keane at the Lane, his two goals against Birmingham turning the contest on its head before a red card cut short his contribution and the visitors went on to grab the initiative and snatch a late winner.

Keane struck twice - once from the spot - to overturn a first half deficit and it appeared that three points would be making a happy deposit in our account. However, Birmingham struck again out of the Blue and then the skipper was given his marching orders following a decision that is likely to be debated for a little while yet. Sebastian Larsson had the last and dramatic say in the encounter.

Younes Kaboul and Darren Bent were restored to the side in place of Lee Young-Pyo and the injured Jermaine Jenas. It was certainly an attacking hand played by Juande Ramos, with Keane and Steed Malbranque occupying a central midfield anchored by Didier Zokora.

Dimitar Berbatov was first to cause concern to the Birmingham bench of newly appointed manager Alex McLeish and his assistant Jim Aitken when he seized on defensive uncertainty and worked Maik Taylor for the first time of the afternoon. Keane should then have worked him further after Bent slotted him through on goal, but his effort was slashed high and wide.

It was a lively affair though under lights in the late afternoon winter darkness and drizzling rain. You knew we are now well into the winter programme when news of the FA Cup Third Round draw filtered through - Reading to visit the Lane in early January.

There was a blast from the past working with a Belgian TV crew on the Press Box, one Nico Clausen, no doubt gathering preview material for our UEFA Cup clash with Anderlecht on Thursday. Watch this space for Nico's thoughts.

Berbatov and Keane combined to create half a chance through the Bulgarian's header before the same player dispatched a superb cutting throughball for Bent to pounce on. Bent went for it first time and the legs of Taylor were enough to divert wide.

Completely against the run of play, Gary McSheffrey darted into the area and Kaboul came across to deal, but ended up making more contact with the man than the ball and referee Mr Dowd instantly pointed to the spot. McSheffrey did the honours himself and drove down the middle to make it 1-0 to Birmingham on 23 minutes.

The pressure continued to head in one direction only, with Lennon posing the biggest threat, but Taylor really had to be at his best to keep out a Gareth Bale free-kick that was arrowing into the top corner in the 36th minute. There was some resolute defending in front of goal by the visitors, who managed to slide in and apply a block to just about every low cross in the first period.

Like on Thursday it was the whistle for the beginning of the second half that provided the spark. Zokora sped forward and linked up with Berbatov, who was felled in the area by Johan Djourou. Again Mr Dowd showed no hesitation in pointing spot-wards. Despite a delay due to Pascal Chimbonda receiving treatment, Keane stayed cool and hit his penalty high into the net.

There were changes again at the resumption of play after the interval, Tom Huddlestone being drafted in along with Jermain Defoe in place of Kaboul and Bent.

The introduction of Huddlestone once more paid dividends when a delicious chip into the area was gobbled up by Keane, who hit his shot downwards and the bounce of the ball beat Taylor and it was 2-1 with 53 minutes on the clock. It should then have been three when Berbatov hit the post rather than the back of the net after a stray defensive header fell to him in front of goal.

The crowd of 35,635, bar 700 in the top corner, were stunned into silence just after the hour when Cameron Jerome ventured forward and escaped Zokora before pinging in a low shot between two defenders and beyond the reach of Paul Robinson's outstretched left hand to make it an unlikely 2-2.

Berbatov peeled away to connect with a Bale corner a few minutes later and it took Stephen Kelly to chest away off the line.

There was a twist in the tale on 67 minutes when Keane challenged Fabrice Muamba and Mr Dowd showed the skipper a red card. Replays showed there was contact, but no way did it look a sending off offence and Keane looked suitably bemused as he was leaving the field.

Bale then had to be withdrawn following a hefty challenge from Muamba and, with Lee now on the pitch, it was a case of seeing whether the ten men could net the three points.

It was Birmingham who next came closest to winning the day with two minutes left on the clock when Mikael Forssell grazed the bar from all of a few yards out when he connected with a low Olivier Kapo delivery. Kapo went on to test Robinson with a fierce drive before, in stoppage time, Larsson picked up the ball some thirty yards out and fizzed the ball past Robinson and into the top corner.

If you needed a game to sum up the term 'smash and grab' then this was it.

A good post sir and a fair summing up. However on the point of the Keane red card, having watched the Cup tie between Harrogate Railway and Mansfield and seen some of the red blooded tackling that went uncarded and resulted in no histrionics I think it would be a good idea for the premiership refs to spend a bit more time reffing the lower divisions. Perhaps we might get a fairer game. Could it be that the betting syndicates were interested in the match.

Is it just me?

I can stand the one nil defeats against the likes of Arsenal, Manu etc, and comfort myself that we gave them a good game. I could even stand some bad defeats - like against Sunderland - in the dying days of Jol, because for me, that hastened his longed for departure.

But with our new manager getting his feet under the table , and all the high priced talent at our disposal, we manage to get beaten at home to Birmingham - then I get very depressed. :D

In fact so depressed, that I don't want to see, read or hear anything about football for days, and I lose interest in almost every sport.

Then to take my mind off things, I watch the closing round of the golf from Sun City where our own Justin Rose is in pole position to lift the prestigious trophy - and what does he do? get a double bogey on the 18th hole and throw it all away - by one shot! Just like Spurs :o

No more sport for me.

Not until next weekend anyway. :D

Is it just me?

I can stand the one nil defeats against the likes of Arsenal, Manu etc, and comfort myself that we gave them a good game. I could even stand some bad defeats - like against Sunderland - in the dying days of Jol, because for me, that hastened his longed for departure.

But with our new manager getting his feet under the table , and all the high priced talent at our disposal, we manage to get beaten at home to Birmingham - then I get very depressed. :D

In fact so depressed, that I don't want to see, read or hear anything about football for days, and I lose interest in almost every sport.

Then to take my mind off things, I watch the closing round of the golf from Sun City where our own Justin Rose is in pole position to lift the prestigious trophy - and what does he do? get a double bogey on the 18th hole and throw it all away - by one shot! Just like Spurs :o

No more sport for me.

Not until next weekend anyway. :D

I was also gutted when Justin Rose blew it on the 18th :D , but spurs didn't upset me what-so-ever :D

May well have a good cup run though !!!

Hope not. We've got them in the next round of the Carling Cup :o

We'll see you sunday first! :D

Is this a worry to you boys?

From the City website:-

Keane ban confirmed

Spurs captain Robbie Keane will be suspended for both upcoming games against Manchester City, it was confirmed on Tuesday.

The Irish striker was sent off against Birmingham City on Sunday, and with his two-footed challenge earning him a straight red card he was handed an immediate three-match ban.

The White Hart Lane club launched an appeal, but the original decision by referee Phil Dowd has been upheld.

The two clubs face each other twice in just over a week this month, with the Blues travelling to north London this Sunday and then hosting Juande Ramos and his men for the Carling Cup quarter final on December 18th – Keane will also miss Spurs’ Premier League encounter against Portsmouth in-between.

Blues fans will be glad that Keane will not be appearing, not only is he Spurs’ top scorer this term but he has found the net against City once a season over the last four years.

Archived