Tottenham Thread

chonabot

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ledley King is back and fit for Spurs.

I think he is the club captain and is an obvious relief to have back in the first team , he is better than most at centre back :o .............. ( at spurs anyway :D ).

It's been a long time coming - let's hope he can hit the ground running/tackling....... :D

I think he is the club captain and is an obvious relief to have back in the first team , he is better than most at centre back :o .............. ( at spurs anyway :D ).

It's been a long time coming - let's hope he can hit the ground running/tackling....... :D

He wont be tonight though unfortunately!

Fingers crossed for the weekend

Mark

ANDERLECHT TEST

Paul Stalteri speaks from experience when he insists we cannot underestimate the challenge of an Anderlecht side playing on their own patch in the UEFA Cup tonight.

The defender played twice for Werder Bremen against the Belgians in the Champions League back in 2004-05, the season before he moved to Spurs.

Bremen won both games but the results tell a story – the Bundesliga side had to fight for a 2-1 win in Brussels but stormed to a 5-1 victory at home.

“Yes, we won comfortably at home but I remember the away match was a lot tougher,” reflected Paul at Spurs Lodge before Wednesday’s trip out to Belgium. “At home, they are different side in European competition than they are on their travels.

“It’s a tight stadium, good atmosphere and a club with a big history - the biggest club in Belgium.

“They are always expected to fight for the championship so they have that mentality and the experience of winning trophies and winning matches at home.

“They’ve changed a lot since I played against them but it’s a side expected to win games, especially at home.”

We go into the game on six points and the recent history of the group stages of the UEFA Cup suggests that will be enough to progress to the last 32 – it has been in 23 of the 24 groups since they were introduced 2004-05.

However, Paul insists it certainly won’t be a case of just looking for a point tonight to make sure – he says we’re after the win.

“You don’t want to have the attitude that six points is enough and when you represent this club and this country in Europe you have to go out to win games," he said. "Nothing will change on Thursday, whether we had three, six or nine points, we go there with a winning mentality. That’s our job.”

I think he is the club captain and is an obvious relief to have back in the first team , he is better than most at centre back :D .............. ( at spurs anyway :D ).

You need something Phil.

Carries on like this, your gonna need snookers to win our bet :o

I think he is the club captain and is an obvious relief to have back in the first team , he is better than most at centre back :D .............. ( at spurs anyway :D ).

It's been a long time coming - let's hope he can hit the ground running/tackling....... :bah:

You need something Phil.

Carries on like this, your gonna need snookers to win our bet :o

Not that we bet Jack :D

But i "teb" you knew that already :D

It's been a long time coming - let's hope he can hit the ground running/tackling....... :bah:

You need something Phil.

Carries on like this, your gonna need snookers to win our bet :D

But i "teb" you knew that already :bah:

What are you 2 talking about ?

:o

I think he is the club captain and is an obvious relief to have back in the first team , he is better than most at centre back :D .............. ( at spurs anyway :bah: ).

It's been a long time coming - let's hope he can hit the ground running/tackling....... :o

You need something Phil.

But i "teb" you knew that already :bah:

What are you 2 talking about ?

Your'e not "Welsh" are you Chon :D

Anderlecht 1-1 Tottenham

By Chon.Abot :o

Berbatov's penalty earned Spurs a place in the Uefa Cup's last 32

Spurs qualified for the knockout stage of the Uefa Cup after coming from behind to draw against Anderlecht.

After an insipid first half the game sprang to life after the break, Bart Goor shooting Anderlecht into the lead after a defensive mistake from Spurs.

But the visitors levelled when Jermaine Jenas was brought down in the box and Dimitar Berbatov scored from the spot.

Jermain Defoe twice nearly won it for Spurs towards the end, but he was denied by Daniel Zitka saves.

The result means Spurs have European football to look forward to in 2008 and they can now concentrate on improving their disastrous Premier League record.

In the Constant Vanden Stock Stadium in Brussels it was very much a game of two halves - and the first 45 minutes was a shocker.

Neither side got out of neutral as time after time the ball was given away cheaply and any potential attack quickly fizzled out.

Anderlecht were looking marginally the better side, but Mbo Mpenza's touch was too heavy to control a defence-splitting pass from the impressive Olivier Deschacht at left-back.

Spurs reply was two shots from distance - a wasted 40-yard free-kick blazed over by the disappointing Tom Huddlestone and a 30-yard drive from Jenas that Zitka saved easily.

Just before the break Paul Robinson was finally forced into action, first saving Marcin Wasilweski's shot and then bravely blocking Nico Frutos' follow-up effort.

When the teams came back out, the game had an energy it was so badly lacking before the break.

Almost straight from the whistle Pascal Chimbonda raced down the right and found Robbie Keane in the box, the Spurs skipper seeing his shot expertly parried away by Zitka.

At the other end Frutos flicked the ball past Dawson and raced on to the ball, but instead of shooting with his left foot his clipped it with the outside of his right and Robinson was able to block.

Mpenza then raced into the Spurs area but, just as he was about to pull the trigger, makeshift centre-back Didier Zokora made a timely intervention.

In the space of two minutes, this Uefa Cup Group G tie burst into life.

Anderlecht took a deserved lead when Mpenza volleyed the ball across the Spurs box and Michael Dawson and Jenas both left the ball to each other, Goor taking advantage to slot home.

Only 107 seconds later it was back to all-square as Jelle van Damme brought down Jenas as he went clean through and Berbatov kept his composure to coolly slot home the penalty.

It was now anyone's game. Robinson dived to keep out Cyril Thereau's shot, before Spurs brought on Defoe and he twice tested Zitka from the edge of the box.

But in the end they both had to settle for a point and the Belgian side look odds-on to join Spurs in the last 32.

Nice !

I think he is the club captain and is an obvious relief to have back in the first team , he is better than most at centre back :D .............. ( at spurs anyway :o ).

You need something Phil.

Not that we bet Jack :bah:

But i "teb" you knew that already ;)

:D

Your'e not "Welsh" are you Chon :bah:

:o:D Selective Memory Syndrome

Now then with Keano sitting out the next 3 matches Defoe can be expected to get his boots dirty a bit more and I wouldn't be surprised if Ramos puts him in with Berbatov from the off in one of the games just to see how they pair up. Since Defoe hasn't scored for what seems like 2 seasons so what are the odds of the lad hitting a hat trick in one of the 3 games? Stranger things have happened in football.

May be worth half a crown.

Tottenham 2-1 Man City

By Owen Phillips

Spurs celebrate Chimbonda's controversial opener

Substitute Jermain Defoe grabbed a late goal to give Tottenham a crucial win.

Pascal Chimbonda gave the home side a controversial lead when he deflected the ball in with his arm from an offside position.

Substitute Rolando Bianchi headed Manchester City level when he powered in Martin Petrov's corner.

But Stephen Ireland was sent off for a disgraceful lunge on Young-Pyo Lee and Defoe crashed home the winner after Steed Malbranque's cross hit the post.

Interview: Tottenham assistant boss Gus Poyet

Interview: Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson

Spurs will feel it was a win they deserved after an impressive first-half display.

Darren Bent, preferred to Defoe up front, spurned two glorious opportunities to put them ahead in the opening 25 minutes.

606: DEBATE

It looks like Berba is back to his best form. Anyone else agree with me?

BERBO-NO1

The first chance saw the England striker denied by the on-rushing Andreas Isaksson after being sent clear by Berbatov's superb pass.

Bent then wastefully blazed a shot across goal after another delightful flicked pass from his Bulgarian strike partner.

Spurs were on top and took the lead seconds before half-time, but City were rightly livid that the goal was allowed to stand.

A hotly disputed Spurs free-kick on the left touchline was cleverly passed into the near post by Jermaine Jenas and Berbatov got in front of his marker to backflick the ball goalwards.

Chimbonda, who was stood in front of Isaksson, deflected the ball in from three yards with his arm.

Bemused City defenders crowded around referee Mark Halsey but the goal was given.

City, for all their neat football, once again looked toothless in attack.

Darius Vassell was often isolated up front and when the brittle Spurs defence backed off, City lacked the presence and creativity to find a way through.

I am not happy with the defeat but I am with how we behaved. If we play like this I don't think we will lose many games

Sven-Goran Eriksson

Their only telling shot on goal in the opening period came when Kelvin Etuhu, making his first Premier League start, showed good skills on the right wing, cut inside and blazed a shot into the side netting.

City bought Bianchi on soon after the restart and with the home side looking increasingly nervy the visitors drew level when the Italian raced to the near post and headed Petrov's vicious corner past Paul Robinson.

The visitors looked set for a rousing finale but all hopes of snatching a win in the final 10 minutes ended when Ireland was sent off for a terrible two-footed lunge on Lee.

Within seconds City were made to pay when Malbranque's cross evaded everyone and bounced back off the post to Defoe who crashed the ball home from eight yards.

Defoe had two more chances to seal the win but Spurs did not need the cushion of a third goal and held on for a win that ensured they were not sucked into the Premier League's relegation zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet:

"We needed this a lot after losing last week against Birmingham. It was a good game, very open and good for the supporters.

"Jermain's goal means a lot to everyone - especially to him.

"But all three subs did very well. It's not just about the 11 that start, it's about the whole squad."

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"It was a bad result but we played one of our better away games. We were brave and tried to win. It was a very open game.

"I am not happy with the defeat but I am with how we behaved. If we play like this I don't think we will lose many games.

"I have no complaints about the red card. It was the right decision and we have to learn. Maybe their goal was offside, maybe it was handball but sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't."

Spurs celebrate Chimbonda's controversial opener

A tad more than controversial, it was a blatant handball. Oh well never mind. Well done lads.

See you next week at our gaff :D

Can't wait !....... :o

Cheers for turning up jangles

Juande Ramos is hoping Sunday's 2-1 win against City will provide the platform to climb up the Barclays Premier League.

Jermain Defoe's 83rd-minute goal secured an important maximum point haul against Sven Goran Eriksson's men.

A game of few chances was evenly poised at 1-1 going into the final quarter when two key moments went our way - first, City were rightly reduced to 10 men for Stephen Ireland's lunging tackle at Young-Pyo Lee and moments later, JD struck from 12 yards after Steed Malbranque's cross cannoned back off the far post.

The victory lifted us into 13th place in the table on a day where defeat would have left us in the bottom three.

"We were aware of that," said Juande. "There are five of six teams in a similar situation, so it was absolutely essential to gain a victory which has relieved some of the pressure.

"However, there are still five or six teams within two or three points of the relegation zone, so it's very important to continue to get as many points as possible."

Could that JD goal be a turning point? "I hope so," added Juande. "We've lost some very important points in the last few minutes of games, even in injury time, and that shows until the referee blows the final whistle the game is still alive. I hope this gives us the imputus to move further up the table."

Daily Telegraph

"Pascal Chimbonda holds his hand up over goal"

The Spurs defender 'holds his hands up' over his goal on Sunday....

Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda has admitted he was lucky to score in Sunday's 2-1 win over Manchester City but says he will take all the assistance he can as the team prepare for Saturday's trip to Portsmouth.

The City game was goalless when Chimbonda scored, despite appearing to handle the ball across the goalline - from an offside position - just before half-time.

The right-back said: "The ball just came at me, hit me on the chest, and after that it hit my arm. But the referee said nothing and so the goal stood. Sometimes you need a bit of luck."

Spurs went on to claim a late winner through substitute Jermain Defoe, after City's Rolando Bianchi had equalised, but the Frenchman's controversial goal was the breakthrough and he said: "I will say now, I will get five goals this season although I've already got three, and I think I can maybe score even more."

He added: "You can't just rely on the strikers for goals. So it's good if we get them throughout the team."

New manager Juande Ramos has lost just one game - at home to Birmingham - since taking over from Martin Jol and he is making it his priority to "save this season".

Daily Telegraph

"Pascal Chimbonda holds his hand up over goal"

The Spurs defender 'holds his hands up' over his goal on Sunday....

Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda has admitted he was lucky to score in Sunday's 2-1 win over Manchester City but says he will take all the assistance he can as the team prepare for Saturday's trip to Portsmouth.

The City game was goalless when Chimbonda scored, despite appearing to handle the ball across the goalline - from an offside position - just before half-time.

The right-back said: "The ball just came at me, hit me on the chest, and after that it hit my arm. But the referee said nothing and so the goal stood. Sometimes you need a bit of luck."

Spurs went on to claim a late winner through substitute Jermain Defoe, after City's Rolando Bianchi had equalised, but the Frenchman's controversial goal was the breakthrough and he said: "I will say now, I will get five goals this season although I've already got three, and I think I can maybe score even more."

He added: "You can't just rely on the strikers for goals. So it's good if we get them throughout the team."

New manager Juande Ramos has lost just one game - at home to Birmingham - since taking over from Martin Jol and he is making it his priority to "save this season".

Shall we call it a draw then mate?

Portsmouth 0-1 Tottenham

By Nathan Mercer

Berbatov finished off a flowing Tottenham move

Dimitar Berbatov's late strike gave Tottenham their first Premier League away win of the season at Portsmouth.

The game had looked to be heading for a draw before the Bulgarian ghosted in at the back post to tap home Aaron Lennon's delightful clipped cross.

David Nugent had earlier squandered a chance to put a wasteful Pompey side in front when he headed Niko Kranjcar's corner narrowly over the bar.

Spurs finished stronger with Jermain Defoe hitting the post late on.

Pompey had failed to find the net in four of their last five league matches at Fratton Park.

But with the visitors yielding 29 goals already in the league this season and without an away league win, the hosts missed the opportunity to end their barren run and move into the top four.

606: DEBATE

Give your reaction to Spurs' win

Spurs held firm after a first 45 minutes that was evenly contested and deserved their win for their ambition shown in the second period.

Portsmouth failed to seriously trouble Paul Robinson to the excellent defenders in front of him.

Tottenham showed plenty of endeavour going forward too, with Berbatov showing touches of brilliance up front and was denied the opener by a last-ditch tackle by Sol Campbell.

The visitors were often guilty of over-elaborating on the edge of James' box with Darren Bent twice failing to test the keeper with a low left-foot drive from close in and a curling effort from 20 yards.

Boateng came close to scoring his first goal for Spurs but could only pick out James in the centre of the goal when he had time to place it either side, while Malbranque turned home James' parry only to see the flag raised for offside.

Portsmouth hit back with Robinson doing well to hold Sulley Muntari's powerful low free-kick, while the Ghanaian played in Diop, who had his hooked shot deflected narrowly wide by Didier Zokora.

Spurs looked the most potent after the break as Lennon began to cause havoc down the right flank.

The winger whipped in a dangerous cross that was superbly tipped out of reach of the on-rushing Bent with Campbell clearing the loose ball.

The game became stretched as both teams opened up and went for the win, but clear chances were at a premium, particularly for the home side.

Substitute Nugent squandered the best of Pompey's opportunities when he climbed well only to head Kranjcar's corner over.

But when Lennon clipped his pin-point cross to the back post finding Berbatov, the striker steered home on 81 minutes to put the game beyond the home side.

Defoe almost doubled the lead in the closing stages when he raced beyond Campbell and fired his shot against the post.

And the visitors closed out the game to continue Spurs' resurgence under Juande Ramos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portsmouth: James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Pamarot (Hreidarsson 74), Utaka, Diop, Pedro Mendes (Davis 46), Muntari (Nugent 65), Kranjcar, Mwaruwari.

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Taylor.

Booked: Pedro Mendes, Kranjcar, Distin.

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda, Zokora, Kaboul, Lee, Lennon (Tainio 86), Jenas, Boateng (O'Hara 78), Malbranque, Berbatov, Bent (Defoe 74).

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Stalteri.

Booked: Malbranque, Berbatov.

Goals: Berbatov 81.

Att: 20,520

Ref: Martin Atkinson (W Yorkshire).

COYS!

Who is O'Hara. Where did he come from and how long has he been at Spurs. I listened to the match on BBC radio 5 and in the short time he was on the pitch he semed to be involved in everything. Well done Spurs now hopefully we can look up the table and not look to see who can catch us

Player name: Jamie O'Hara

Date of birth: 25 September, 1986

Nationality: English

Position: Midfielder

Height: 1.80

Overall career totals

Apps As sub Goals Yellow Red

Total (Club) 36 (6) 7 2 1

League 35 (6) 7 2 0

FA Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

League Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

European/Others 1 (0) 0 0 1

International career totals

England U18 0 (0) 0 0 0

England U17 0 (0) 0 0 0

Current club totals

Total (Club) 1 (1) 0 0 0

League 1 (1) 0 0 0

FA Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

League Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

European/Others 0 (0) 0 0 0

This season

Total (Club) 16 (5) 2 2 1

League 15 (5) 2 2 0

FA Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

League Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

Millwall

Total (Club) 15 (4) 2 2 1

League 14 (4) 2 2 0

FA Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

League Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

Tottenham Hotspur

Total (Club) 1 (1) 0 0 0

League 1 (1) 0 0 0

FA Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

League Cup 0 (0) 0 0 0

European/Others 0 (0) 0 0 0

I'm hoping that the 2nd half of the season will see us doing well in the UEFA , possibly one or two of the Domestic cups and even see us challenging for the top 6. We have the best squad outside of the big 4, and if anyone disputes that they can let me know who has a better one. The potential is huge , as was discussed at the beginning of the season , now it's down to the managr and players.

But in all honesty we could just as easily fail to shine and end up in mid table mediocity.....

Juande Ramos expressed his pride after the team secured a much-deserved 1-0 victory at Portsmouth on Saturday.

It was an afternoon of firsts at Fratton Park - our first away win of the league campaign, high-flying Pompey's first home defeat and the first time we've won back-to-back games in the Barclays Premier League this season.

Faultless defensively, we created the best chances in a keenly-contested encounter and struck decisively when Dimitar Berbatov provided the close-range finish to Aaron Lennon's cross in the 81st minute.

"I'm very happy and it was important that we won our first away game," said Head Coach Juande at Fratton Park.

"It's also important that we've won two league games in a row and we need to follow that path.

"We could have killed the game off earlier and had chances. We had control of the game.

"Berbatov scored the goal but we need to recognise the effort of the whole team, not just one player. Football is a game of 11 players.

"The team is more and more confident, we're training hard and getting results.

"I'm very, very proud of what the team has done today."

Juande Ramos was impressed with Jamie O'Hara's cameo role at Portsmouth as the young midfielder made an impact on his debut at Fratton Park.

Recently back from a loan spell at Millwall, Jamie, 21, entered the fray for Kevin-Prince Boateng with 13 minutes remaining and the match finely balanced at 0-0.

It took less than a minute for his first contribution, a cross-field pass into the path of Jermain Defoe, who controlled and lifted a tricky chance over David James but over the bar.

Then, two minutes later, Jamie's most telling contribution as he led a counter-attack from the left and carried the ball some distance before picking out Aaron Lennon on the right, Aaron's cross turned home for the winner by Dimitar Berbatov.

"It was his debut and he had 15 very good minutes," said Head Coach Juande. "He understood perfectly what I asked of him when he came on.

"He played very well and I'm very happy with him."

Juande Ramos was impressed with Jamie O'Hara's cameo role at Portsmouth as the young midfielder made an impact on his debut at Fratton Park.

Recently back from a loan spell at Millwall, Jamie, 21, entered the fray for Kevin-Prince Boateng with 13 minutes remaining and the match finely balanced at 0-0.

It took less than a minute for his first contribution, a cross-field pass into the path of Jermain Defoe, who controlled and lifted a tricky chance over David James but over the bar.

Then, two minutes later, Jamie's most telling contribution as he led a counter-attack from the left and carried the ball some distance before picking out Aaron Lennon on the right, Aaron's cross turned home for the winner by Dimitar Berbatov.

"It was his debut and he had 15 very good minutes," said Head Coach Juande. "He understood perfectly what I asked of him when he came on.

"He played very well and I'm very happy with him."

This was the impression I got also. Hopefully we have a new star

Archived