Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Does anyone else apart from me find it quite alarming that Walkers positional play is still so awful? Its what his third season now in the first team and almost every game he still leaves our far post exposed with gaping holes, constantly letting the opposition in behind him. You can forgive to odd slip but this is happening over and over again. It just gets irritating that whenever theres talk of his dreadful defending someone has to pipe up with the "oh but he's really fast" line because his primary job is defending and its plainly clear to see he's no good at it!! Yesterday our right flank was horridly exposed by a team sitting bottom of the table!!

His presence in the England squad sends a loud message as to the lacking in English talent.

Yep his third season and he's still playing like an inexperienced youngster.

Surely they must work on his faults in training !

I just think he hasn't got a footballing brain or perhaps just no brain in general laugh.png

Footnote : With him and Townsend down that side we have a real win double whistling.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Seeing as we all seem to be of the same opinion here with regards the backline, whats to be done?

We all know our strengths and the improvements being made. We also know the emerging talents from our academy that will appear on the big stage next season.

But, this weakness in defense thats hampered us for years just won't go away. Why? What is needed to put it right.

I ask this because its clear its going to continue to blunt our progress and far from getting better, the backline looking worse, more disorganized sunday league amateur every weekend.

Suggestions?

Edited by carmine

Seeing as we all seem to be of the same opinion here with regards the backline, whats to be done?

We all know our strengths and the improvements being made. We also know the emerging talents from our academy that will appear on the big stage next season.

But, this weakness in defense thats hampered us for years just won't go away. Why? What is needed to put it right.

I ask this because its clear its going to continue to blunt our progress and far from getting better, the backline looking worse, more disorganized sunday league amateur every weekend.

Suggestions?

Bring back Ledley biggrin.png

• Like 1

This is quite relaxing for me now watching Spurs because i know that with that defense with have no chance at all finishing in the top four!

walker should be dropped, Dier rested for Fazio, Vertonghen given a massive kick up the arse because he's been lousy for a while now and then theres Danny Rose who has performed well of recent and worthy of praise.

Chadli needs a rest, its clear to see so we should switch Townsend and bring in Lamela.

Thought Paulinho put in a decent shift.

All in all a good three points but we do make it so hard for ourselves don't we!!

Regarding Walker, he strikes me as a full back with pace and ability but is as thick as two short planks. Dier is exactly that. No pace (at his age, it's a prerequisite) and half a sleep most of the time.

This is quite relaxing for me now watching Spurs because i know that with that defense with have no chance at all finishing in the top four!

walker should be dropped, Dier rested for Fazio, Vertonghen given a massive kick up the arse because he's been lousy for a while now and then theres Danny Rose who has performed well of recent and worthy of praise.

Chadli needs a rest, its clear to see so we should switch Townsend and bring in Lamela.

All in all a good three points but we do make it so hard for ourselves don't we!!

Regarding Walker, he strikes me as a full back with pace and ability but is as thick as two short planks. Dier is exactly that. No pace (at his age, it's a prerequisite) and half a sleep most of the time.

Agree with you about Walker. I think he's basically just thick. Dier however is a strange one because his form, whilst having collapsed of late, has be rather good this season. I just think his confidence is shot to bits and he should be replaced for the moment with the more experienced Faxio.

Going back to the full back situation, Rose does seem to be improving and working on his weaknesses, one of which was his positional play but after nearly three seasons i have to conclude that Walker doesn't have a footballing brain.

Entertaining game to watch for the neutral and throws up an interesting stat.Young "golden boots" Harry Kane who I am sure at the moment could score with a blind fold on tops the leagues goal scorers with 19 but the teams goal difference is only +5.Can't remember another occasion when that's happened . Useless bit of trivia but at the end of the season a superior goal difference can mean an extra point on the table..

Suggestions?

Although he hasn't featured yet, we did bring in Yedlin in January who is also an attacking

full back, so obviously he's there to compete with Walker for the right back spot.

Townsend may be replaced by Pritchard next season, and we need to bring in a new

centre back this summer to replace the out going Kaboul.

For the time being, Chiriches is the only other player who could come in at right back.

Leicester's first goal was on the break with Rose out of position,

second goal from a corner which Walker should have headed clear,

and third goal Vertonghen was at fault.

Suggestions?

Although he hasn't featured yet, we did bring in Yedlin in January who is also an attacking

full back, so obviously he's there to compete with Walker for the right back spot.

Townsend may be replaced by Pritchard next season, and we need to bring in a new

centre back this summer to replace the out going Kaboul.

For the time being, Chiriches is the only other player who could come in at right back.

Leicester's first goal was on the break with Rose out of position,

second goal from a corner which Walker should have headed clear,

and third goal Vertonghen was at fault.

I think you'll find that a deal is 99% done for one !

Not too sure where you get the idea that he doesn't have any pace, have you seen him beaten in a straight race for the ball ? as for it being a prerequisite, well Mr Terry hasn't done too bad.For me he's just young and inexperienced, that's why there's not many 21 year old centre halfs in the Premiership.

Agree with you about Walker. I think he's basically just thick. Dier however is a strange one because his form, whilst having collapsed of late, has be rather good this season. I just think his confidence is shot to bits and he should be replaced for the moment with the more experienced Faxio.

Going back to the full back situation, Rose does seem to be improving and working on his weaknesses, one of which was his positional play but after nearly three seasons i have to conclude that Walker doesn't have a footballing brain.

Woy like them, both, now in the England squad after Shaw pulled out.

Yeah dier started the season at right bac looked good , but his performances were rapidly getting worse and when he decided that he no longer wanted to play at full bac, it wouldn't have been long b4 he was dropped , so in reflection from his side off things saying that was probably good move. And the sames happening now, started off well at c/b but he's regularly found wanting, big ask for a 21 year old to command that position week in week out. As for verity next to him , well you've all slated my opinion of him, at 27 he has had enuf experience, world cups, international games 3 ?4 seasons in the prem, to be able to lead that back line and some ,, but he dont , sori yet again he disappoints me,, good footballer ,, yeah ok,, defender,, nah average and with walker's appalling lack of positional play its hardly surprising, dier struggles, walkers been bac for ?? games since injury, there's always a dip in form coming back after a long time out, be it straight away, be it after ?? games, lets hope walker rides it out, his positional play aint ever been that clever, but now its scarily bad and aint doin dier any favours next to him... and verity not having the nouse to lead, it aint looking to clever.

As for rose,, well he's had 2 seasons now at l/b and i can see an improvement , but is he good enuf ? I'm beginning to think he just aint got it in him, it was always a gamble, he was an attacking left winger/ midfielder until 2? seasons , never a defender, so is he good enuf at defending ??? after 2 seasons it beginning to look doubtful.. saying all of that what could be the saving grace, baring verity is they are all young enuf to improve. lets hope age is the issue and they improve and we ain't discovered orgonising defenses is pott' Achilles heel.

• Like 2

Considering Potts played his football as a CB at all levels i'm surprised

how poor our defence has been this season.

You would have thought that would be his strength on the training ground.

Maybe it's the tactics in defending that are the problem, especially at set pieces

with the zonal marking.

Why pick out Dier? when it's been Vertonghen and Walker who have been a shambles

lately.

In fairness to Rose, he's had a better season this time than last.

Considering Potts played his football as a CB at all levels i'm surprised

how poor our defence has been this season.

You would have thought that would be his strength on the training ground.

Maybe it's the tactics in defending that are the problem, especially at set pieces

with the zonal marking.

Why pick out Dier? when it's been Vertonghen and Walker who have been a shambles

lately.

In fairness to Rose, he's had a better season this time than last.

To be fair, it doesn't matter how much training you do with the defence, if players make wrong decisions / don't do as they are suppose to do then we are always going to concede goals.

Take the Leicester goals from Saturday :

Goal A. The ball is played down the left side of Spurs defence and Walker runs out to play the attacking left forward offside (why ?) and then cannot catch up with him and the fella scores.

Goal B. The big center half gets away from his marker and scores.

Goal C. Vertonghen goes in for a ball that he shouldn't have, Walker stops running back towards his goal and therefore can't cover Vertonghen.On this one you could perhaps say that the two of them should have communicated better as a pair but it was still two wrong decisions.

Slight correction for:

Goal B. The Spurs defence wasn't marking him in the first place,

they were marking space but not the Leicester player, hence why he

had a free header on goal.

These are tactics deployed by Poch.

There were 3 spurs players marking 3 Leicester players although not close enough, watch it again ! I fail to see how that is down to Pochs tactics !

Slight correction for:

There were 3 spurs players marking 3 Leicester players although not close enough, watch it again ! I fail to see how that is down to Pochs tactics !

yeah get your point alfie, but wether we agree with it or not it comes down to him cos he pics the players,, and ultimatly they keep f''.cin up, he aint new to footie, he has

to b aware it could well cost him his job

and i know i keep harping on about it but if pullis with BULK AVERAGE players not england or rated internatiols can repeatedly sort teams defences out why the f cant potts?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

Slight correction for:

yeah get your point alfie, but wether we agree with it or not it comes down to him cos he pics the players,, and ultimatly they keep f''.cin up, he aint new to footie, he has

and i know i keep harping on about it but if pullis with BULK AVERAGE players not england or rated internatiols can repeatedly sort teams defences out why the f cant potts?

Of course Pulis teams are going to concede less goals because he sets then to be ultra defensive and that's why they don't score many either, in the period since he joined they have still conceded more than they scored so it's not like its all one way ! which probably works fine if your main aim is to avoid relegation not if your trying to get In the top 6 !

• Like 1

Slight correction for:

Of course Pulis teams are going to concede less goals because he sets then to be ultra defensive and that's why they don't score many either, in the period since he joined they have still conceded more than they scored so it's not like its all one way ! which probably works fine if your main aim is to avoid relegation not if your trying to get In the top 6 !

the point i was making alfie aint really about pullis although i was using him as an example, its about getting a defense working as a unit, .its a discipline and disciplines are learnt and taught its as you've said b4 what exactly are they working at in training, ,

the point i was making alfie aint really about pullis although i was using him as an example, its about getting a defense working as a unit, .its a discipline and disciplines are learnt and taught its as you've said b4 what exactly are they working at in training, ,

And the point I'm making is that most of the goals we are conceding are coming from individual errors not from the defence being disorganized although I must admit that we do look at 6s and 7s sometimes !

Take the corner situation for example, do you think that in training on a Friday that they don't have a session / teamtalk about who is marking who at corners on a following weekend ? now if one them assigned markers doesn't do his job who's fault is it ?

Edited by alfieconn

And the point I'm making is that most of the goals we are conceding are coming from individual errors not from the defence being disorganized although I must admit that we do look at 6s and 7s sometimes !

Take the corner situation for example, do you think that in training on a Friday that they don't have a session / teamtalk about who is marking who at corners on a following weekend ? now if one them assigned markers doesn't do his job who's fault is it ?

its happening often enuf now to make you wonder if their training is

good enuf . unfortunatly now to me its getting to the stage it warrents start pointing fingers cos it aint getting sorted either its potts training at fault or there aint anyone taking responcibilty ie a captain not jusr in name to make these things happen. they constantly lose the line and markers whilst i appreciate the effectiveness of the high line sometumes it needs to be dropped deeper and it dont happen quick enuf. either potts needs up the training anti maybe its a language issue., but bottom line it needs sorting cos tbh, imo atm that aint a top half defence let alone a top four and without hugo ,, ?????

Is anyone else as gob smacked as i am that Hodgson selected Townsend over Ashley Young? Bitterly unfair to Young imho.

The genetic throwback that is Paul Merson claims it suggests that "anyone" can play for England but then again that point had already been proven by his own selection all those years ago.

• Like 1

Is anyone else as gob smacked as i am that Hodgson selected Townsend over Ashley Young? Bitterly unfair to Young imho.

The genetic throwback that is Paul Merson claims it suggests that "anyone" can play for England but then again that point had already been proven by his own selection all those years ago.

I suggest it is called "being between a rock and a hard place".

They're both pretty average.

Young has found some form....while our lad is needing an urgent transfer to Fulham.

Young has found some form....while our lad is needing an urgent transfer to Fulham.

Can't see Fulham paying 10-12m for him Smokes whistling.gif

• Like 1

Slight correction for:

When Pulis was the coach at Palace, he didn't strike me as being ultra defensive there. It depends on what ammunition you have at your disposal. I don't know about you lads but I think he's got zero options at West Brom with the dross he's got there.