Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Interesting transfer window in certain respects and not as bad as i thought i would think.  Where to begin, probably the negatives.

All our rivals strengthened, with our manager charged with punching yet further above our weight.  In terms of the seasons end, lets write off City for starters, they can have the league trophy now for all i care.

Liverpool look very strong indeed and will give them a run.  Chelsea is a difficult one and i'll resist comment until we know whats happening with Hazard.  Manchester United will continue to bore the pants off one and all, be very difficult to score against and look strong for a top for finish.  Unai Emery did his business early and in my book, whilst an unknown force will struggle for a top four place.

So, on to Spurs.  Whilst we have the ability to buy players its not without selling first.  This we didn't do so hence we didn't buy.  Financial accountability and no Spurs fans should listen to the "nonsense of the stadium costs stopping us buying because ultimately we've always conducted our business in the transfer markets on the basis of balancing the books."  My gripe is that Levy was probably asking too much for outgoing players. hence there simply wasn't the movement to get players in. (Perhaps we should have told our sponsors to treble their sponsorship allowance?  Oh wait a minute....)

The positive is that we go into the season in situ and if i see the injured returning i'll be yet more positive. We have a back three unrivaled in Toby, Sanchez and Vertonghen.  But we desperately need Wanyama to get fit, we desperately missed him last season.

On a footnote, i've been very impressed with the professionalism Alderweirald has shown throughout.  None of the shithouse type behavior of Coutois and in the past the likes of Modric and Bale.  Respect to him.

Edited by carmine

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Sorry Carms but a few months ago when I was talking about how the cost of the new stadium may affect getting new signings etc I got bashed on here and you said this:-

Are you now able to admit that furnishing the cost of the new stadium has affected the clubs ability to sign new players?

No of course i don't agree and think the "able to admit" bit most amusing.  I was commenting on this whilst you were posting this nonsense MrB?  

In short, we've always done our business on the basis of balancing the books no matter how you try to spin it.

16 hours ago, jellydog said:

Some Twitter wag pointed out that on the the last day of the window last year Spurs brought on Llorente. The year before that on the last day....Sissoko !

Don't give up hope.:biggrin:

It was being quite widely reported via Spurs Twitter sites yesterday that City put in a late bid for Dembele.  Not a bad move in my opinion, especially since Chelsea nabbed Jorginho.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

No of course i don't agree and think the "able to admit" bit most amusing.  I was commenting on this whilst you were posting this nonsense MrB?  

In short, we've always done our business on the basis of balancing the books no matter how you try to spin it.

Well Poch is blaming the reason as to why you didn't buy down to the cost of the new stadium (and Brexit for some reason)

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has highlighted Brexit and the cost of their new stadium as reasons why the club did not make a summer signing.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/11468063/mauricio-pochettino-says-brexit-influenced-tottenhams-lack-of-summer-transfers

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Well Poch is blaming the reason as to why you didn't buy down to the cost of the new stadium (and Brexit for some reason)

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has highlighted Brexit and the cost of their new stadium as reasons why the club did not make a summer signing.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/11468063/mauricio-pochettino-says-brexit-influenced-tottenhams-lack-of-summer-transfers

Pochettino most probably doesn't want to create a shitstorm for the media to immerse themselves in after his post semi final comments.  it was always perfectly clear though that as a club we have had to generate money if we want to buy.  Its that simple.  I do blame Levy for the lack of business but not the reasons you suggest.

Its clear to me that clubs balancing their expenditure clearly offends the vanity of City fans what with all their wealth and "transfer strategy."

Edited by carmine

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

"What a great transfer window"

"Yeah, told you the stadium costs wouldn't  affect our summer buys"

2016_5$largeimg127_May_2016_160603807.jpeg

7 minutes ago, carmine said:

Pochettino most probably doesn't want to create a shitstorm for the media to immerse themselves in after his post semi final comments.  it was always perfectly clear though that as a club we have had to generate money if we want to buy.  Its that simple.  I do blame Levy for the lack of business but not the reasons you suggest.

Its clear to me that clubs balancing their expenditure clearly offends the vanity of City fans what with all their wealth and "transfer strategy."

I'm liking your deflection tactics, however, I'm a bit long in the tooth to be hood winked.

What really annoyed me at the time about this stadium cost subject, is that you Spurs boys were taking the subject personally and having a right pop at anyone who mentioned it. FWIW, hand on heart, I can honestly say that my posts were never about bashing Spurs, it was honest concerns about how the soaring costs could affect you due to furnishing the payments on the loans.

• Like 1

On the one hand Poch has said about the transfer window 'activity' "...I am not worried, I am not sad - I am so happy...".

Whike on the other hand the Tottenham Supporters' Trust said they want "a full and credible explanation of what has happened". A statement from the Supporters' Trust said: "We are told that we don't have to sign players because we develop our youth. Yet four of our most promising prospects left the club this summer (Reo Griffiths, Anton Walkes, Keanan Bennetts and Noni Madueke.) Of the current first-team squad, just two regulars have come up through the ranks.

"We love what has been developed, but for all the great football we've seen over the last few seasons, there are no trophies to show.

"We have the highest-paid chairman in the Premier League. Our fans pay some of the highest prices in world football. Our support for our team and our admiration for what has been achieved remains strong. However, we believe fans are entitled to a full and credible explanation of what has happened this summer."

Think Poch other statement (above) about Brexit and stadium cost overrun explains what happened this summer (as some of us predicted - it happened at Arsenal after their stadium build).

1 hour ago, carmine said:

As we discussed Carms, the problem we have is that to improve the team we would have to spend approx 70m on a player and even then it isn't guaranteed he would get in the team so therefore that is a no no, like you said if we sold a main player  we would probably replace him like for like but that doesn't necessary that he would be better than the player he is replacing in fact probably not in the case of Toby and Dembele !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm liking your deflection tactics, however, I'm a bit long in the tooth to be hood winked.

What really annoyed me at the time about this stadium cost subject, is that you Spurs boys were taking the subject personally and having a right pop at anyone who mentioned it. FWIW, hand on heart, I can honestly say that my posts were never about bashing Spurs, it was honest concerns about how the soaring costs could affect you due to furnishing the payments on the loans.

I never thought your posts were about bashing Spurs....unlike a certain other City fan and his petty vanities and obsessions!!!  You simply have a viewpoint thats polar opposites to ours and it appears never the twain shall meet.

However, theres no deflections tactics as is proven i have to inform you by the club always acting in the same manner for years so call it want you want, spin it as you like, the facts clearly say we balance our books and its a fact you City fans clearly don't like and are rather uncomfortable with.

Levy messed up by putting too larger sale price on outgoings and as such played a very poor hand but atleast we never sold to our rivals....although i don't for one minute see City as a rival so if the Dembele Twitter soundings were true i'd have been fine with that.

btw, why is the City troll still trying to post whatever trolling rubbish he is....doesn't he realize nearly everyone on this thread doesn't want to be provoked anymore.  Tell him to find a new victim please. we talk football.  He had plenty of opportunities to pack it in.?

16 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

As we discussed Carms, the problem we have is that to improve the team we would have to spend approx 70m on a player and even then it isn't guaranteed he would get in the team so therefore that is a no no, like you said if we sold a main player  we would probably replace him like for like but that doesn't necessary that he would be better than the player he is replacing in fact probably not in the case of Toby and Dembele !

it all seems obvious to us but not to MrB....can you explain what i simply can't see to.......all about only spending when you've generated  legitimately the money to buy?  I'm at a complete loss.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

it all seems obvious to us but not to MrB....can you explain what i simply can't see to.......all about only spending when you've generated  legitimately the money to buy?  I'm at a complete loss.

I don't need anybody to explain thanks mate. I understand fully and it seems Poch does too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I don't need anybody to explain thanks mate. I understand fully and it seems Poch does too.

Ah that City fans' vanity....can't remember City fans thinking they way they do now before the arabs stepped in.  You don't need it explained because you know the concept of financial management but in the current City regime that is irrelevant.  Simple as that.  If only that corrupt ill functioning virus of an organization, FIFA,  had some balls.

Interesting article knew it would but  Never really  thought through about the brexit effect .. on players and the clubs .. either the players will take a drop in wages or the clubs pay out more to compensate for the brexit effecf on the pound .  <deleted> brexit.. interesting that an argentian presumably hard baked used to a bollixed economy feels sori for the effect  brexit will have on 'english people'

Edited by 3 minus 2

11 minutes ago, carmine said:

However, theres no deflections tactics as is proven i have to inform you by the club always acting in the same manner for years so call it want you want, spin it as you like, the facts clearly say we balance our books and its a fact you City fans clearly don't like and are rather uncomfortable with.

I know that Spurs have always tried to balance the books, I have never claimed differently and I honestly commend you. The only point I have made about it is how will furnishing the cost of the loan for the new stadium affect you going forward. I mentioned that it could affect your ability to buy and strengthen and it has proved to be true. We are not hobbled with that kind of a debt because we live in a "Council House". Do you seriously think we would do that if it didn't make absolute financial sense?

As for the "City fans uncomfortable" bit, I'm just not getting that at all. I know for certain that we are extremely lucky to have the financial backing we have and how you operate doesn't make me uncomfortable one iota

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Ah that City fans' vanity....can't remember City fans thinking they way they do now before the arabs stepped in.  You don't need it explained because you know the concept of financial management but in the current City regime that is irrelevant.  Simple as that.  If only that corrupt ill functioning virus of an organization, FIFA,  had some balls.

"Vanity" Just because I see something differently to you I'm the vain one!! You were the one who was saying I need it explaining to me, like you know it all. Well it seems like you also know more than Poch. Now who's the vain one

8 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

"Vanity" Just because I see something differently to you I'm the vain one!! You were the one who was saying I need it explaining to me, like you know it all. Well it seems like you also know more than Poch. Now who's the vain one

Two reasons i say this, and its not just addressed to you.

Why do you have such a problem understanding why, as a club, we've "always" conducted ourselves this way in the market?  Why do you dispute it?

Secondly, you yourself self said something along the lines of; who cares whats spent or where it comes from!!!  

Well if that were the case footballs going to be destroyed, plain and simple.

17 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Interesting article knew it would but  Never really  thought through about the brexit effect .. on players and the clubs .. either the players will take a drop in wages or the clubs pay out more to compensate for the brexit effecf on the pound .  <deleted> brexit.. interesting that an argentian presumably hard baked used to a bollixed economy feels sori for the effect  brexit will have on 'english people'

What are you on about ? the players get paid in pounds they all live in the UK, what's the brexit effect on the pound got to do with wages ?

Edited by alfieconn

2 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

What are you on about ? the players get paid in pounds they all live in the UK, what's the brexit effect on the pound got to do with wages ?

Correct the only Brexit effect is purchase from overseas

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

I'll tell you what Alfie, the likes of Oliver Skipp, Luke Amos and Anthony Georgiou are going to be chomping at the bit seeing as we haven't bought anyone in.  I don't care if Skipp is only 17yo, if he's good enough he's good enough and the physicality doesn't seen to bother him.  Its a big ask but the likes of McDermott are raving about him and in particular the pre season he had.

28 minutes ago, carmine said:

Why do you have such a problem understanding why, as a club, we've "always" conducted ourselves this way in the market?  Why do you dispute it?

Read my bladdy post properly will ya. I'm NOT disputing how you have previously conducted your business, I know how your net spend league works. This is about the spend on your stadium and you denying it has had any effect when we all (including Poch) know it has

28 minutes ago, carmine said:

Secondly, you yourself self said something along the lines of; who cares whats spent or where it comes from!!!  

Your quoting me out of context. I'm sure they weren't the exact the words but that vague quote was in response to the net spend talk. I was saying that a football club is a business and get's it's revenue from various streams, not just the sale of players. i.e. win more comps, get more money from tv, sponsorship, prize money etc, etc. Therefore, net spend on players isn't the only way to generate money.

So far as this window goes I have no complaints purely cos we've 

retained the services of the current squad, which for me have done well over the last few seasons, together with new contracts for Poch, Kane and Son.

Saying that though, we're still not out of the woods just yet, as the 

European window remains open for any exits until 31 August.

Already reading reports that Real Madrid want to buy Eriksen,

Rose wants to go to PSG and Toby could still be sold to a high bidding Euro giant.

So with no incoming players, selling anyone now would be madness,

but you just never know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sotsira said:

So far as this window goes I have no complaints purely cos we've 

retained the services of the current squad, which for me have done well over the last few seasons, together with new contracts for Poch, Kane and Son.

Saying that though, we're still not out of the woods just yet, as the 

European window remains open for any exits until 31 August.

Already reading reports that Real Madrid want to buy Eriksen,

Rose wants to go to PSG and Toby could still be sold to a high bidding Euro giant.

So with no incoming players, selling anyone now would be madness,

but you just never know.

Yes this is the truth....the European clubs haven't really started their scrum yet and without the certainty of selling one or two we couldn't do anything this window.

As to the question of do we have funds the answer is yes but the players who could improve what we have are costing upwards of 60-70m quid which is a tall order at Tottenham.

Blood the kids and let's get moving on!

5 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Like brexit itself you and your other brexiteers  aint thinking it through alfie..  try it,     it  aint dificult

Pound drops foriegn player buys less of his home currency .. work the rest out ...so ..pre contract 

Agent; well your there for 3 years atm the £ worth ? But if it goes down  again which it will  you'll get less    .....

Work the rest out 

It truly aint dificult

Edited by 3 minus 2

6 hours ago, carmine said:

Correct the only Brexit effect is purchase from overseas

Almost.. more like it'll be an issue for discussion/ concern for EVERY foriegn footballer currently in uk and /or  in contract negotiations  or thinking of coming across..

"What are you on about ? the players get paid in pounds they all live in the UK, what's the brexit effect on the pound got to do with wages ?"

Brexit on top players wages
Top overseas footballers seeking euro pay packets
https://www.ft.com/content/e987eea2-4628-11e7-8519-9f94ee97d996
They want paying in Euros, Alfie.

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Like brexit itself you and your other brexiteers  aint thinking it through alfie..  try it,     it  aint dificult

Pound drops foriegn player buys less of his home currency .. work the rest out ...so ..pre contract 

Agent; well your there for 3 years atm the £ worth ? But if it goes down  again which it will  you'll get less    .....

Work the rest out 

It truly aint dificult

But that isn't  a drop in wages ?

You said

players will take a drop in wages or the clubs pay out more to compensate for the brexit effecf on the pound ? 

which is incorrect as de-valuing of the pound will not affect anyone's wages !

Agent; well your there for 3 years atm the £ worth ? But if it goes down  again which it will  you'll get less

Well he can buy a Forward Contract for 3 yrs time, then he is covered isn't he ? there you go problem solved ?

Edited by alfieconn

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

But that isn't  a drop in wages ?

You said

players will take a drop in wages or the clubs pay out more to compensate for the brexit effecf on the pound ? 

which is incorrect as de-valuing of the pound will not affect anyone's wages !

Well he can buy a Forward Contract for 3 yrs time, then he is covered isn't he ? there you go problem solved ?

that sounds just plainly ignorant of the actual issue so enlighten us  how that works then alfie?   

put yourself in a foreign  footballers place  he's out of his country for 3 ,, maybe 5 years   and then most will return home  so he'll /you'll have a constant  eye on flicking money bac to your home currency ,, and if the pound is unstable and  drops again  as it has done for eg by 20 25 %  against the baht,  it WILL go down again, he'll  be able to buy less of his currency,, so effectively 'a wage cut'  simple economics alfie  so to avoid that players WILL/are lookin to be paid in euros or their home currency , so when not if the £ drops it will cost the clubs that much more  even by a brexiteers mass stupidity  its simple alfie, and as poch says brexit its having an effect and in its current model not in a good way for the prem..  

^You didn't read the article i posted the link to did you Ronnie. Players do give a monkeys. Some don't want paying in sterling they want a euro contract but most clubs are tied to sterling. Have a read.

Here's another one for you Alfie. Clubs are having to pay renewed contracts in euros..."That is because many of them signed their last deals when the pound was still strong, but one effect of Brexit has been that many players now feeling they are losing out on those deals, so are looking to get all new deals agreed in euros."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-city-transfer-news-kevin-de-bruyne-new-contract-deal-a8120681.html

Edited by Bredbury Blue