Michelle Obama navigates limits on women in Saudi Arabia

webfact

Saudi that says it all, just don't be a women and you will be fine, the country of only men count, women are there for the breeding and cleaning only, what else can I say

So who does the cooking?

Now I understand where the acronym W.I.F.E. comes from. ;)

Saudi that says it all, just don't be a women and you will be fine, the country of only men count, women are there for the breeding and cleaning only, what else can I say

So who does the cooking?

Now I understand where the acronym W.I.F.E. comes from. wink.png

Eat out

So who does the cooking?

The servants do the cooking ( and the cleaning ). People from many countries go to work in Saudi, thinking it will be a great deal. Sadly, for many it doesn't work out well. I heard hundreds of sad tales of abuse and exploitation. From my apartment window in Riyadh, I could see that many of the flat roofed buildings had shacks built on top, which is where the maids lived.

So who does the cooking?

The servants do the cooking ( and the cleaning ). People from many countries go to work in Saudi, thinking it will be a great deal. Sadly, for many it doesn't work out well. I heard hundreds of sad tales of abuse and exploitation. From my apartment window in Riyadh, I could see that many of the flat roofed buildings had shacks built on top, which is where the maids lived.

They are not sad tales, they are truth's, and what you say is true,

I fail to understand the big deal being made of all this.

They landed at the international airport, rode in an armored convoy to a very private palace to meet with some of the royal family, then returned to the airport and flew out some four hours later.

She was surrounded by hundreds of aides and Secret Service personnel and seemed to be largely ignored by the Saudis. The royal family members and their attendants have been westernized enough that the fact they saw her uncovered head was unlikely to have offended any of them.

I have taken my Thai wife to a number of soirees where royal family members were in attendance. Her head was uncovered at the receptions and the abaya was in her handbag. Nobody was upset or clamoring for her to cover up.

Michelle broke no new ground, except for her obvious look of disdain for all concerned.

Much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fail to understand the big deal being made of all this.

They landed at the international airport, rode in an armored convoy to a very private palace to meet with some of the royal family, then returned to the airport and flew out some four hours later.

She was surrounded by hundreds of aides and Secret Service personnel and seemed to be largely ignored by the Saudis. The royal family members and their attendants have been westernized enough that the fact they saw her uncovered head was unlikely to have offended any of them.

I have taken my Thai wife to a number of soirees where royal family members were in attendance. Her head was uncovered at the receptions and the abaya was in her handbag. Nobody was upset or clamoring for her to cover up.

Michelle broke no new ground, except for her obvious look of disdain for all concerned.

Much ado about nothing.

seemed to be largely ignored by the Saudis

Would you expect anything else? After all, she is a woman.

except for her obvious look of disdain for all concerned.

As if they care what a woman thinks.

My wife has met several members of the Royal Family. She has smiled, they have smiled back and it has been most pleasant.

Had my wife looked as bored and aloof as Michelle did, things might have not gone quite as well.

As I said...Michelle was in Saudi a total of four hours mostly surrounded by her retinue. Hardly an earth shattering experience for anybody.

My wife has met several members of the Royal Family. She has smiled, they have smiled back and it has been most pleasant.

Had my wife looked as bored and aloof as Michelle did, things might have not gone quite as well.

As I said...Michelle was in Saudi a total of four hours mostly surrounded by her retinue. Hardly an earth shattering experience for anybody.

Anyway, why does anyone care about Michelle Obama? No one voted for her.