Who has had post lost or stolen ?

kingalfred

Who has post lost or stolen? EVERYBODY. I'd like to hear from anybody who has lived here for any lenght of time who can state otherwise.

Me. I've lived here for 8 years, had dozens of letters/parcels in and out of the country. Never lost one.

I have lived here for 22 years and only lost I packet, it was my own fault as I tried to go cheap on the postage, this one was sent by USPS. I have received and sent hundreds of packages with no issues.

IMHO I think the Thai postal service is very good, you just need to be careful with what and how you send.

I send and recieve lots of stuff. So far nothing has gone missing. I think that the Thai post is actually pretty good, definitely better than the Italian one.(I know, I worked for them)

Customs, yes that's a different issue. I've imported second hand motorcycle mags worth 10k in the past. Customs and tax varied every time. From 0 up to 8k, but if you average the cost it wasn't too bad really.

Lucky? Maybe....

• Like 1

We never got post for a long time then got a bundle of it dating back three months. One being a time related refund they even sent a second letter to ask if we really didn't want to claim, that came in the same bundle as the first and yes by the time we received it it was too late. Sent an email to Thaipost head office and actually received a reply, it was the post woman just couldn't be arsed to deliver them had her come round to apologise to us.

Who has post lost or stolen? EVERYBODY. I'd like to hear from anybody who has lived here for any lenght of time who can state otherwise.

I have been here for nine years, and never had any post lost or stolen, had plenty items and letters shipped here from the UK and two or three from the US, just like CharlieH, I had to pay tax only one time.

My stuff all goes to a PO box now- one step along the chain less. A credit card, really needed, disappeared. The local posty has been seen, without attempting to hide what he was doing, holding letters up to the sun to divine their contents. If you buy envelopes here you will understand why they are made out of thick, ugly brown paper.

Obviously a regional thing but I no longer assume that stuff that is being sent will actually arrive.

There's always a rotten apple in a barrel.

there is no surface / sea post out of the USA now

that stopped a few years ago , so now everything is sent Air ,

We have a problem now with Thai Post ,

the tracking number shows a package sent in December to the UK arrived in November , 3 weeks before it was sent ! but it did not arrive .....ummmmm

Amazing Thailand

I have been here for nine years, and never had any post lost or stolen, had plenty items and letters shipped here from the UK and two or three from the US, just like CharlieH, I had to pay tax only one time.

Same for me. Hundreds of packages mostly from the States and Europe have arrived, no problems. I have had only one package not arrive, i ordered some "special toys" and i guess customs are using them now.

• Like 1

Anything fed ex or dhl tends to arrive but letters can be late.....largely no problems though apart from the tax. If I want something sent I usually send it to someone in the uk and they post it. That saves the tax as its a gift. Good Idea to use wrapping paper too.

Same for me. Hundreds of packages mostly from the States and Europe have arrived, no problems. I have had only one package not arrive, i ordered some "special toys" and i guess customs are using them now.

Isn't that false witness? Your stuff got lost. End of complaint. Things get lost, here, there, everywhere.

I send and recieve lots of stuff. So far nothing has gone missing. I think that the Thai post is actually pretty good, definitely better than the Italian one.(I know, I worked for them)

Customs, yes that's a different issue. I've imported second hand motorcycle mags worth 10k in the past. Customs and tax varied every time. From 0 up to 8k, but if you average the cost it wasn't too bad really.

Lucky? Maybe....

Ahh, Italia. Maybe you just do things right and you receive your post. I do too. 99.9%

I must say, only a big up to the Thai postal service. My wife sells books online, and only had one go missing out of hundreds of parcels we send and receive. (and i suspect that one item was just the customer scamming us !). Also never had anything go missing either sent or received from UK either. A little lucky i guess but nevertheless, no complaints from me !

.....but please dont start me on the customs lot when we get our monthly pallet of books from UK grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

JUst forgot to add, my local main post office is Rangsit. Big up to the counter girls there when the falang turns up on his motorcycle each day with an assortment of passa doo tama dahs, EPS and sing dtee pims !!

Books are most unlikely to going missing in the post... no point stealing something no-one wants smile.png

Edited by kkerry

I've been here 12 years and lost about 50% of mail. Even within Thailand and asking the PO guy to write the address for me so there's no wiff of falang about it. If it's not signed for it's lost.

Top tip for anyone building a house: The PO maintains a database of all valid addresses within Thailand. If your address is not on this list you cannot receive international mail, but national mail is unaffected. When you register your new build the PO should be informed automatically, but sometimes they forget. I was unable to receive international mail for 3 years until I finally figured that out.

Decent tip. Another good tip is to have a good Thai friend type your address out in word (or similar) in Thai then set it in a label sheet. Print them off and give them to people that mail you regularly and offer the unformatted text to online retailers to use.

I knew someone who was in prison in Bangkok. Many kind people were sending care packages from overseas. The only mail that ever made it through were books and documents. Can't say for sure if the packages were being stolen at the post office or the prison but people who knew the prison all blamed the post office.

Years ago I had a friend mail me video tapes of sport from back home. Only received one of about ten videos before I told him not to bother anymore. Even went to the local post office to complain, so they let us behind the counter to see what they had uncollected, so much stuff from overseas. The address used was the same for all my mail... many things sent never turned up... but bills always arrived safely...

what we do now is, go to the post office and tell them im expecting something, give them our phone number and they ring when its there and we go and pick it up,

but saying this, my wife told me this morning ive got mail from the tax man in england,(its about my national insurance i want to pay,,lol(

and ive also got my insurence card for me and the family from the company i work for, so things are getting better,

Never had anything go missing.

Then you have been Goddam lucky.

I seem to get that a lot. According to this place, most people here get ripped off, robbed, disrespected, scammed, shaken down and generally abused by the locals on a daily basis. Whereas I live a nice pleasant life here in Bangkok with little in the way of drama or trauma.

No, I don't get it either.

We get maybe 3 or 4 mail deliveries per year. CAT and True Visions insist that they send out bills every month, but most of them do not get here.

My sister has sent a number of parcels from the UK with presents for my step-daughter. Relatively small value, so not worth paying for registered mail. None of them has arrived. Yes, my sister had the address in Thai language that I had printed for her.

The letters that arrived are not delivered to our house, but dropped off at the local shop.

Resident twelve years; never lost a package. I get a package on average every three months. The only time I ever had a problem was when the package was sent to an old address. It went back to the PO and a month later I poked around in the PO storage room and found it. The only problem I have is that I am now flagged by customs and every package is now costing me customs fees.

We get maybe 3 or 4 mail deliveries per year. CAT and True Visions insist that they send out bills every month, but most of them do not get here.

My sister has sent a number of parcels from the UK with presents for my step-daughter. Relatively small value, so not worth paying for registered mail. None of them has arrived. Yes, my sister had the address in Thai language that I had printed for her.

The letters that arrived are not delivered to our house, but dropped off at the local shop.

sums up the pilfering/stealing. Your daughters gifts gone to some Street market

Over the years (since 1989) I have never received anything that was posted to me. These days I am always ordering things from abroad and they always seem to show up. I believe EMS is one of the keys to get your shipments.

I get 2 weekly magazines posted to me from the UK and at the last count 7 from the last 12 months have not been received, though there is still time for 2 or 3 of them to arrive. I'm never sure whether the problem lies with the Thai postal service or with the UK postal service. I received an e-mail from my professional organisation advising that 3 magazines (bi-monthly) had been returned by to them by the Post Office so it would seem that at least part of the problem lies with the UK postal service.

Alan

I have had 4 packages lost in transit. It is only recently that i have discovered that the address was incorrect and mail would have been delivered to someone else. It is obvious that this mail was not returned to the post office, so i can only guess that it was stolen.

Well, I tried a trick one poster suggested. I had a credit card sent inside a Christmas card. I got one card from a friend, but the one with the cc never made it.

The only way Ive ever got cc is by Fed-Ex. Costs US $60!

The first 10 years here I got about 90% of overseas mail. The last 10 years, about !0%.

I'v stopped posting stuff home....seldom if ever gets there. If I choose to register it that is usually more expensive than the cost of the purchase of the article.

Thai EMS is cheap.....

Last time I sent a letter from Thailand to the UK using EMS, it was 1,900 Baht. No idea how much for a parcel. Obviously if sending something high value, it may be worth paying the extra.