Bangkok ranked 39th in Safe Cities Index 2015

webfact

Bangkok ranked 39th in Safe Cities Index 2015

IMGP4133-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok was ranked 39th in the list of the world's 50 safest cities for 2015, with Tokyo topping the list and Jakarta trailing at the end.

According to The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Safe Cities Index 2015, it evaluated 50 safest cities in five continents using four indicators; digital security, health security, infrastructure security and personal hygiene.

Coming top in the list were Tokyo with 85.63 scores, and trailing behind respectively were Singapore, Osaka, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Sydney, Zurich, Toronto, Melbourne and New York.

Bangkok came in 39th position, while Jakarta ranked 50th with 53.71 scores.

But Bangkok ranked 14th safest cities in the Asia Pacific, followed respectively by Delhi, Mumbai, and Ho Chi Minh City.

The survey data show that Singapore in digital security is eligible 83.85 points, only 3.33 points behind Tokyo.

The Safe Cities Index 2015 measures the relative level of safety of a diverse mix of the world’s leading cities using four main categories of safety: digital security, health security, infrastructure safety and personal safety. Every city in the Index is scored across these four categories.

Each category comprises between three and eight sub-indicators, which are divided between security inputs, such as policy measures and level of spending, and outputs, such as the frequency of vehicular accidents.

The Index focuses on 50 cities selected by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), based on factors such as regional representation and availability of data.

The Economist said however that it should not be considered a comprehensive list of the world’s safest cities (ie, a city coming number 50 in the list does not make it the most perilous place to live in the world).

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-ranked-39th-safe-cities-index-2015

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-29

Bangkok ranks 14th in Asia-Pacific’s ‘safe cities’
By Coconuts Bangkok

so.jpg

BANGKOK: -- While Bangkok often tops lists as a desirable destination, it ranked 14th in The Economist’s Safe Cities Index 2015 released yesterday.

Based on expert assessments of digital security, health security, infrastructure and personal safety, The Economist Intelligence Unit ranked Bangkok 39th worldwide among the 50 cities selected and 14th in the Asia-Pacific region.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/29/bangkok-ranks-14th-asia-pacifics-safe-cities

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-29

Most likely compiled from a lot of statistics, rather than the opinions of people living in those cities.

The list does look a bit out of whack to me as well.

For instance, I'm sure that single woman would be much much safer in Bangkok than in Delhi or Mumbai, but

these cities are only a few points away on the list.

• Like 1

First thought was it's pretty good to be 39, but then i saw it's right above Sao Paolo which is not safe at all is what i heard.

But food hygiene is still terrible in Thailand, less chance of a robbery i guess then in Sao Paolo.

Edited by Thian

Most likely compiled from a lot of statistics, rather than the opinions of people living in those cities.

Well this particular ranking aims to be statistical, not anecdotal. There's something to be said for each approach, but 'perceptual' studies, which are what you refer to, often don't correspond much to reality. To a Western newcomer for example, Bangkok might feel like a strange and dangerous place, but the numbers don't bear this out.

I am however disappointed that they didn't include Manila. If you're looking for a city in this part of the world that both feels dangerous and backs it up with some pretty hardcore crime, that's the place to start.

• Like 2

I feel pretty safe walking the streets in Bangkok at night much safer than when in Rio and when I was in Rio watched a gun fight with cops and drug dealers shooting it out from the for vela just up behind our hotel lasted about 45minutes and we were not allowed to look out the hotel windows in case of a stray bullet, or use the roof top pool.

LA and Chicago are riddled with crime. Can;t see how they are so high on the list. This poll is trash. I do believe tokyo is the safest and then Singapore but it starts to falter once it hits New york..

I wouldn't know since I am not an expert on anything except that I know I am not an expert.