Thai poll: Martial law vital to maintaining peace and order

webfact

Poll: Martial law vital to maintaining peace and order

BANGKOK, 29 Jan 2015 (NNT) – A recent opinion survey conducted by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University has indicated that the majority of respondents feel that it is still necessary that martial law remain in force.

The survey, which covered 1,219 people across the country during January 27-29, focused on Thai people’s views about the US’ worries over the imposition of martial law in Thailand, as well as their ideas on the issue.

As for the US’ recent comment that the martial law should be lifted, 83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena.

Regarding their feeling about martial law, the respondents said the law had its pros and cons. On the positive side, it could bring about order, enable authorities to take control of the situation more easily, and prevent trouble makers committing a crime.

On the negative side, it could restrict people’s freedom, affect the country’s image among foreigners and cause foreign tourists to lose confidence in the country, which in turn might have adverse effects on the economy.

Asked whether the martial law should be revoked, about 46 percent of the respondents said the law should remain in effect for the time being to prevent political unrest, while 33 percent adopted a wait-and-see attitude. The rest said that removal of the martial law would help improve the country’s image.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-29 footer_n.gif

Poll says US does not understand Thai politics

12-1-2558-11-41-38-wpcf_728x4131.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Most Thai people feel the United States have no real understanding of Thai politics when its top diplomat called on the Thai military junta to lift martial law.

This was the result of the latest survey conducted on 1,219 people across the country during January 27-29 after the US assistant secretary of state Daniel Russel voiced concern of the country’s freedom of expression and called for the lifting of martial law.

Asked for their opinions on the diplomat’s call, 83.2% of the respondents said the US might not have a proper understanding of Thailand’s situation, as it was an internal matter.

But 74.6% however thought it was an expression of concern to Thai economy by a top US diplomat, while 69.1% saw his concern was to see Thailand become democratic and acceptable to other nations.

Asked whether martial law has any advantages, 82.74% said it brought peace and order in the country, while 88.50% said it deprives the freedom of speeches, and is undemocratic.

79.65% of respondents said martial law tarnished the country’s image and 79.65% said it scared away tourists, investors.

Asked whether they thought it was now time for the martial law to be lifted, 46% said it was still necessary and, without it, chaos could return. Only 21.46% said it was time to lift it.

Source: Dusit Poll

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-says-us-not-understand-thai-politics

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-29

• Like 1

I don't understand why Farang don't get it.

The situation in Thailand in nor normal. Most Thai wants to martial law to be in place as long as possible, because they feel safe. Else, Red Thai people killing Yellow Thai people almost everyday.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

Somewhere along the way Martial Law has to be lifted the question is when , going by present B/S the junta cannot operate without it , possibly not wanting those same old rent a crowd coming out, but what do you do when Thailand goes back to Thai Democracy, so far unless you are involved martial Law has inconvenienced to my knowledge no one, but in the background if you step-out of line, so all you need to do is wait. coffee1.gif

The situation in Thailand in nor normal. Most Thai wants to martial law to be in place as long as possible, because they feel safe. Else, Red Thai people killing Yellow Thai people almost everyday.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the country’s political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the country’s economic problem. About 70 percent said the US’ remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

"79.65% of respondents said martial law tarnished the country’s image and 79.65% said it scared away tourists, investors."

whistling.gif

And I don't understand why most Thai use the term farang when they should use foreigner or proper Thai: kon dtaang Chaat.

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way.

That's alright, then. Clearly no cause for concern here.

Instead of being a smartass and dishonestly editing and answering only one part of my post, why don't you answer the question I asked and tell us how martial law here has affected YOU directly? clap2.gif

• Like 1

Absolutely, removes the need to get elected, answer awkward questions and removes the rights of anyone who is, or may be about to, express any dissent or disagreement with the regimes actions. It is, for a suspicious junta government, uncomfortably aware of how it came to power, the gift which goes on giving. It's here to stay.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

Some farangs do get it. We know how many Thai feel. Those Thai are members of our family and friends of ours. However, it doesn't make it right.

Recently my thai fiends who are keen on politics are predicting the junta won't be able maintain power to the end of this year.

I've met a few Thai fiends as well disco king!:-)

Joking apart, they will hang on, but it may start to get messy!

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way.

Instead of being a smartass and dishonestly editing and answering only one part of my post, why don't you answer the question I asked and tell us how martial law here has affected YOU directly? clap2.gif

That would be against the law, which says it all..

You're full of it. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't really affect you directly and you know it. People like you always invoke the boogeyman argument when there's nothing really to argue about anymore. Well done. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Many foreigners who depend on condo rental income have suffered this year due to the lower number of tourists, along with any other foreign owned businesses that depend on tourism. And, all the Thais who have lost jobs, or who's business is suffering as a result of the non-existent high season.

But, as long as you're allright, jack, should not be a problem.

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way. And for those people who post here crying about liberalism blah blah blah and all that, has it affected YOUR life?

I like the fact that we don't have idiots on both sides, yellow or red out there right now protesting and fighting each other because the army won't let them.

Wait for it.coffee1.gif

Martial law always sounds bad to outsiders but it hasn't actually affected my life personally any way. And for those people who post here crying about liberalism blah blah blah and all that, has it affected YOUR life?

I like the fact that we don't have idiots on both sides, yellow or red out there right now protesting and fighting each other because the army won't let them.

it's always the same under repressive regimes, if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear.

and the problem is that one person decides what is "wrong" and "right"

• Like 1

and both colours killing falang everyday.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Many foreigners who depend on condo rental income have suffered this year due to the lower number of tourists, along with any other foreign owned businesses that depend on tourism. And, all the Thais who have lost jobs, or who's business is suffering as a result of the non-existent high season.

But, as long as you're allright, jack, should not be a problem.

Oh yeah. Having yellow shirts and red shirts protesting and fighting with guns and exploding bombs was just what the doctor ordered for tourism! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Yes it affect my life and many others but ask your self who need a law to protect them against there own population and because you don't se it what is the chances that the problem just get bigger

And what makes an idiot some one who use sky laps or some one who fights for there freedom

• Like 1

Yes it affect my life and many others but ask your self who need a law to protect them against there own population and because you don't se it what is the chances that the problem just get bigger

And what makes an idiot some one who use sky laps or some one who fights for there freedom

Well I am not a grammar Nazi usually, I must say, punctuation is your friend.

"83 percent of the respondents said the international community had yet to have a clear understanding of the countrys political situation. Nearly 75 percent said the US only expressed her concerns for the countrys economic problem. About 70 percent said the US remark reflected the image of Thailand in the world arena."

You don't understand because in most 'farang' countries coups are 'alien' and the military plays no part in determining political agendas or the rule of law. One only sees automatic rifles inside airports to deter terrorism, not on the streets to disperse those seeking freedom of speech by lawful protest. You are correct in saying the situation in Thailand is not 'normal'. This a view held by many countries politicians. These are countries where the citizens are not obsessed with the wearing of uniforms to display status/authority, unlike LOS where it's citizens have great difficulty in treating each other as equals.
  • Like 1