Thai govt orders German NGO to cancel press freedom briefing

webfact

Ouch......Is it my imagination, or is military control being cranked up ??

The coup started out pretty well with a corruption crackdown which

always makes people happy, but now things seemed to be morphing into

something much darker... :-(

I think it is to be expected judging on history. There is a "honeymoon" period. I do think the vast majority in Thailand, like most people around the globe just want peace and getting on with their daily lives. And I think most wanted to see the violence, corruption and some other matters addressed by the junta to be dealt with. It is now starting to push against the unwritten time line. Is there enough visual reform positively seen? What "pushback" is starting to mount from those be affected by the reforms? By political and media restrictions? From those feeling the economic pinch as a result of martial law? Then the opposition begins to mount as time goes on, new alliances are built. Finally there are calls for change.... Those in charge evolve or dig in to maintain control.

• Like 1

For all those who think the Junta and the General have done a great job are you now prepared to see the truth?

The very pillar of freedom is the right to express your opinions freely and this is clearly being oppressed. It's time the UN stated with some heavy sanctions, tourists stopping coming, foreign expats left and foreign investment pulled out ... any such involvement only fuels the military's ability to hold on to power.

And talking about the military's ability to hold onto power:

After the 2006 Thai coup d'état, Prayut was appointed to the National Legislative Assembly. In this capacity, he joined the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources. Prayut sits on the executive boards of a number of companies including the state electricity utility company, MEA. From 2007 to 2010 he was independent director at Thai Oil Public Co, Ltd. Since October 7, 2010 he has been a director of Thai Military Bank[20] and chairman of the Army United Football Club.

In May 2013, Prayut sold nine plots of land in a Bangkok suburb to a company called 69 Property for THB600 million. Reporters subsequently asked him about the land sale and the prime minister's position is that the media has no business questioning him on the matter. "The land has belonged to me since I was a kid, it belonged to my father. So what's the problem?" Gen Prayuth said. "Please stop criticising me already."[26]

In his mandatory 2014 asset disclosure to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the prime minister listed THB128.6 million (US$3.9 million) in assets and THB654,745 baht (US$20,000) in liabilities. His assets include a Mercedes Benz S600L car, a BMW 740Li Series sedan, luxury watches, rings, and several pistols. He also reported the transfer of THB466.5 million (US$14.3 million) to other family members. ( errm, have we seen this before? ;) ) As army chief, prior to his retirement at the end of September, the general received a THB1.4 million (US$43,000) annual salary.[27][28]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayut_Chan-o-cha

Jealous much? Perhaps you should address the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, and those who were responsible for it.

• Like 1

Where were all the NGOs when Thaksin complete destroyed the freedom of press?

The Friedrich Ebert Foundation wrote some very nasty white papers about the Thaksin regime and certainly on restriction of press freedom, buying of the media companies (ITV) etc.

I know them very well and often popped by their office for a coffee and make use of their library.

They suffered greatly during the Nazi years. Many of those students and leaders were send to the concentration camps when Hitler came to power.

As the FEF is affiliated with the SPD and they use Thailand as a base for the annual reporting of each country in Asia I think the Thai Army should be a bit more careful, otherwise they might can export their products only to Asia and possible have problems with the E.U.

Furthermore the German Foreign Minister is from the SPD and the Deputy Chancellor is SPD too.

My guess will be a diplomatic protest is currently been evaluated and the Thai Ambassador will be called in to the German Foreign Department.

I would say Thailand goes very backwards and this is just the start.

And where were the NGO's when TS ordered the crackdown and killings at Tak Bai? Where were they during the War on Drugs? Where were they when TS said, quote, "I'm going to kill them!", unquote, and ordered the extra-judicial slaughter of suspects, and anyone who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time?

For all those who think the Junta and the General have done a great job are you now prepared to see the truth?

The very pillar of freedom is the right to express your opinions freely and this is clearly being oppressed. It's time the UN stated with some heavy sanctions, tourists stopping coming, foreign expats left and foreign investment pulled out ... any such involvement only fuels the military's ability to hold on to power.

After the 2006 Thai coup d'état, Prayut was appointed to the National Legislative Assembly. In this capacity, he joined the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources. Prayut sits on the executive boards of a number of companies including the state electricity utility company, MEA. From 2007 to 2010 he was independent director at Thai Oil Public Co, Ltd. Since October 7, 2010 he has been a director of Thai Military Bank[20] and chairman of the Army United Football Club.

In May 2013, Prayut sold nine plots of land in a Bangkok suburb to a company called 69 Property for THB600 million. Reporters subsequently asked him about the land sale and the prime minister's position is that the media has no business questioning him on the matter. "The land has belonged to me since I was a kid, it belonged to my father. So what's the problem?" Gen Prayuth said. "Please stop criticising me already."[26]

In his mandatory 2014 asset disclosure to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the prime minister listed THB128.6 million (US$3.9 million) in assets and THB654,745 baht (US$20,000) in liabilities. His assets include a Mercedes Benz S600L car, a BMW 740Li Series sedan, luxury watches, rings, and several pistols. He also reported the transfer of THB466.5 million (US$14.3 million) to other family members. ( errm, have we seen this before? wink.png ) As army chief, prior to his retirement at the end of September, the general received a THB1.4 million (US$43,000) annual salary.[27][28]

Jealous much? Perhaps you should address the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, and those who were responsible for it.

Envious about dishonest wealth? Are you serious?

The original and true meaning of jealous is something you may like to learn about. wink.png

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 2

The Friedrich Ebert Foundation -- which has ties to Germany's Social Democratic Party -- describes itself as an organisation promoting "the ideas and principles of social democracy".

Should the press, all press, not be neutral in all matters and not support any particular side in anything, but go about reporting in an unbiased manner ?

In his mandatory 2014 asset disclosure to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the prime minister listed THB128.6 million (US$3.9 million) in assets and THB654,745 baht (US$20,000) in liabilities. His assets include a Mercedes Benz S600L car, a BMW 740Li Series sedan, luxury watches, rings, and several pistols. He also reported the transfer of THB466.5 million (US$14.3 million) to other family members. ( errm, have we seen this before? ;) ) As army chief, prior to his retirement at the end of September, the general received a THB1.4 million (US$43,000) annual salary.[27][28]

Wasn't the family transfer the money from the land sale????

As you noted he is also director of several companies do you have those salaries?

• Like 1

In his mandatory 2014 asset disclosure to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the prime minister listed THB128.6 million (US$3.9 million) in assets and THB654,745 baht (US$20,000) in liabilities. His assets include a Mercedes Benz S600L car, a BMW 740Li Series sedan, luxury watches, rings, and several pistols. He also reported the transfer of THB466.5 million (US$14.3 million) to other family members. ( errm, have we seen this before? wink.png ) As army chief, prior to his retirement at the end of September, the general received a THB1.4 million (US$43,000) annual salary.[27][28]

Wasn't the family transfer the money from the land sale????

As you noted he is also director of several companies do you have those salaries?

Sure....if not dishonest to use influential positions to become part of honest companies....and sometimes very successful companies. Or you do think that the Clintons and Obamas are living just with their presidential salary and retirement income? That is called Global Economy now... Do not need to be dishonest to become millionaire in any country in the world...but..no doubts...many are dishonest..also in every country in the world.

Envious about dishonest wealth? Are you serious?

The original and true meaning of jealous is something you may like to learn about. wink.png

You haven't met my ex yet!

• Like 1

''The coup started out pretty well''

They never end well in Thailand or anywhere else, so I'm always confused when people pipe up with that one (no offence meant btw).

• Like 1

What a shame the greedy are ruling the needy. The spoils can be shared by all. This great country with all its natural resources should be up with the G8, but they are not. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know why! What upsets me, is that some people of this truly great land are so selfish, they care of themselves only.

Yes someone is going to mention Taksin and others and what they have done to downtrodden Thailand. But the truth is the common people let it happen more than anyone,

You sow what you reep.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

surprise surprise, duh.

And yet even today, all these sycophantic, toadying symathisers are making excuses for the generalissimo and his "it's for your own good" politic speak.

And it won't stop here.

Just watch and learn, soon the dream will be a nightmare.

We'll be living with a Burmese junta-style government with it's hands well and truly around the throat of Thailand.

oh but it will be too late then.

come on all you facists, let's hear your excuses this time.

• Like 1

Where were all the NGOs when Thaksin complete destroyed the freedom of press?

Thaksin certainly did not stop the Friedrich Ebert Foundation from making their annual reports, "We have released these reports every year for many years and have not had a problem until now".

And how many press conferences did they do during his rulings?

• Like 1

You may well be right but there may be BIGGER things happening. My thai BF says there is a lot of buzz on socail media about the Prince and Princess not being too happy with eachother. A power struggle may be ensuing. I have heard more - GOSSIP albeit, but from some very INFLUENTIAL sources and that GOSSIP may mean a lot more military power.

Remember, one side loves one side of wealthy people who want power and the other side loves the current wealthy people who do not want to lose favour or power to the side wanting power...... and so it goes

The fallout from the event you mention has already occurred ,

which was basically the winnowing out of the power on her

side of the family. That has finished. There is a much much

bigger event and battle waiting on the horizon, and I am

planning on not being here when it occurs..... It will be in

essence the final struggle for power here. And it will bring to

mind the old Cambodian saying I just love for South East

Asia, which is " when elephants fight, only the ants die".

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I keep thinking of Nicolae Ceausescu and his demise in 1989. He got so used to the cheering when he was on the balcony giving a speech that he couldn't understand one day when the cheering stopped and booing started. What happened after that is well documented.

Of course, his problem was that he had come to believe his own propaganda, spewed out daily by fawning officials.

Now I don't know why my mind keeps flashing back to this. I'm supposed to be happy.

Looks like they got the wrong guys this time. That was a costly move and one they failed to calculated properly. The foundation is government funded and associated to one of the two parties that form the German government. No doubt, the Thai ambassador will feel it soon and discrete steps will be taken.

Edited by mike2011

I can see that you really love Thailand.........but if you are not satisfied with what you got and you feel so oppressed, just book a ticket back to your country.......I believe you will be happier there.