From Khaosan Road To Pantip Plaza

lovebangkok

the 511 aircon bus (yelow or white)

less than 20 baht

it will also take you to the skytrain ....

or across the river into Pinklao and on to Sai Tai Mai (The Southern Bus Terminal)

Edited by jdinasia

the easiest way besides the bus is to catch the canal boat at pan pha pier (just down from the democracy monument, ask a tuk tuk driver). take it to the pratunam stop. walk back a block or two on petchburi road til you get to pantip.

Take an aircon taxi.

Make sure the meter gets turned on.

Have done the trip many times, price between 70-90 Baht.

Have never had any taxidriver not know where Panthp is or Kahosan Road on the return trip.

Beachcomber.

only a question ?

you sure its only 90 baht ? :D

i pay 90 baht to china town but aint been to pantip from there. :D

only a question me old mate. :D

cheers :o:D:D

How do get from Kahosan Road to Pantip Plaza and back ?

Which bus

When I last did that journey a few years ago (so don't know if they have since changed the buses :o ),

there was the no 2 red bus (3.5 baht) or the number 11 aircon white bus (about 15 baht).

Dont take a tuk tuk from Kahosan Rd. You've got like a 90% chance of paying more than the taxi would have cost.

Dont mess around with the buses unless you know what pantip looks like (as there will be no one to tell you when to get off).

All Canal/BTS options involve a quite a bit of walking. (So don't do it if your in a hurry or you don't like walking the street in the heat)

So best bet is just take a taxi. Make sure you get in a taxi where the drive is sitting in the car, in the road. If the guy is standing outside the taxi waving you over his meter is probably "broken".

....All Canal/BTS options involve a quite a bit of walking. (So don't do it if your in a hurry or you don't like walking the street in the heat)....

Thats interesting, the last time I looked Ratchatewi BTS is about 400m from Pantip and the Ferry if you want to go that way on the Kong stops on the other side of the road.

Dont take a tuk tuk from Kahosan Rd. You've got like a 90% chance of paying more than the taxi would have cost.

Dont mess around with the buses unless you know what pantip looks like (as there will be no one to tell you when to get off).

All Canal/BTS options involve a quite a bit of walking. (So don't do it if your in a hurry or you don't like walking the street in the heat)

So best bet is just take a taxi. Make sure you get in a taxi where the drive is sitting in the car, in the road. If the guy is standing outside the taxi waving you over his meter is probably "broken".

The Big Pantip signs are kind of a give away ... and asking someone on the bus is not too hard either!

but since the OP asked "which bus" ...........

the easiest way besides the bus is to catch the canal boat at pan pha pier (just down from the democracy monument, ask a tuk tuk driver). take it to the pratunam stop. walk back a block or two on petchburi road til you get to pantip.

yeah, I just wanted to suggest that too ....

boat is less then ... 10 baht ! and no any trafic jams - as with bus, tuk-tuks, even air-con taxis ! :o takes directly to the place, on almost straight line. not as air-polluted as, say, getting stuck in some trafic jam inside non-airconditioned bus or especially tut-tuk ! even if air-con bus or taxi would provide some fresher air - you still would proceed with the same speed as any other vehicle - means, often slower than people walking by !

oh, and another advantage of boat (at least in this case) is that you won't miss your stop as with bus - coz everyone is getting down at Pratunam anyway ! :D

once you get out of boat, walk over the bridge towards Petchburi Rd (there would be fly-over way) and cross the road to where on the cornere there is some sea food eating place, then walk furthere to the direction towards KhaoSan (from which you came from). or simply ask anyone - Pantip Plaza .... most of vendors and passers by know Pantip very well !

brilliant bit of information my man and 20 points to you. :D

one more question please ? :D

approx how much for the taxi ?

cheers friend :o:D

....All Canal/BTS options involve a quite a bit of walking. (So don't do it if your in a hurry or you don't like walking the street in the heat)....

Thats interesting, the last time I looked Ratchatewi BTS is about 400m from Pantip and the Ferry if you want to go that way on the Kong stops on the other side of the road.

more info please,

so i get of at ratchatwi bts. :D

is the pantip sighned at the train station ?

if not which exit do i take. :D

more info please,

Look- people are giving you all kinds of suggestions for saving dosh. But when it's your first time- just keep it simple and take the path of least resistance/ greatest comfort- a metered taxi.

Ratchathewi BTS, if it is only 400 meters [and i doubt it] is a long walk on a hot muggy day, and around a corner. And the khlong will require you to cross traffice at one of the busiest intersections in the city. And it has NO CROSSWALK! And that too is around a corner.

So, do the metered taxi there and take the BTS or khlong on the return leg.

more info please,

Look- people are giving you all kinds of suggestions for saving dosh. But when it's your first time- just keep it simple and take the path of least resistance/ greatest comfort- a metered taxi.

Ratchathewi BTS, if it is only 400 meters [and i doubt it] is a long walk on a hot muggy day, and around a corner. And the khlong will require you to cross traffice at one of the busiest intersections in the city. And it has NO CROSSWALK! And that too is around a corner.

So, do the metered taxi there and take the BTS or khlong on the return leg.

cheers mate, :D:D

thats all i wanted know., :D

good on you :D:D

Panthip from KSR, metered taxi - 55 baht

Boat - under 10 baht

Bus - around 10 baht

Tuk Tuk - 300 baht

Paying 90 baht to goto china town as one of the previous posters has, is very expensive, should cost you 40 baht in a taxi. 90 baht will get you as far as Soi Asoke.

If you combine all the walking required to get to the ferry or BTS.

The Big Pantip signs are kind of a give away ... and asking someone on the bus is not too hard either!

but since the OP asked "which bus" ...........

I've never noticed the "Pantip" signs? I thought it said "Computer City".

And more than likely if you walk up to someone on the bus and a say "Where is Pantip" (in English, assuming that the OP doesnt speak Thai), you will not get the correct answer.

Take an aircon taxi.

Make sure the meter gets turned on.

Have done the trip many times, price between 70-90 Baht.

Have never had any taxidriver not know where Panthp is or Kahosan Road on the return trip.

Beachcomber.

only a question ?

you sure its only 90 baht ? :D

i pay 90 baht to china town but aint been to pantip from there. :D

only a question me old mate. :D

cheers :o:D:D

On reflection the last time I took a taxi was like before the price of fuel went up so yes it could be more now. :D

When I first arrived in Bangkok I would take the Tuk-Tuk thinking it was the cheapest. Thought I was doing well when I bargained down the trip to only 300bt. :D

Have tried busses, I’m sure they are great if you live/work in Bangkok and get to know the routes. But as a casual visitor wanting to get things done and back to the beach taxi is the only way. They are good value.

Beachcomber.

:D

You have other options than Pantip. Fortune Town and the Laksi IT mall are the 2 that spring to mind. What exactly is the OP going there for?

now the whole competition will start all over again - for best suggestion on how to get to Laksi IT ! :D

while OP keeps quite - I bet he's been to Panthip already :o

There's really something rather strange about posting for advice on how to save around 40 baht on a journey like this.

Why worry about it. Jump in a taxi, tell him to put the meter on and relax. Life is too short to worry about buses and tuk tuks and bullshit like that.

I usually pay 120 from Khao San to Sukhumvit 11, and the journey takes my past Pantip so I'd say it's 80-100 baht maximum.

And if he refuses to put the meter on, smile politely, get out the car and leave the back door open, giving him a big wink in the process. I can't begin to tell you the satisfaction this gives you . . .

"Why worry about it. Jump in a taxi, tell him to put the meter on and relax. Life is too short to worry about buses and tuk tuks and bullshit like that."

answer: because you're fortunate to have an BM expat package earning THB 350,000 per month.

For a teacher earning THB 200 per lesson; THB 40 represents a higher percentage of expense: revenue.

Just in case it isn't clear by now for anyone new to Bangkok. Take a tuk-tuk ride once so you can say you have done it, and then never, ever ride in one again. They are rarely cheaper than a taxi, and your chance of being scammed is about 10 x greater. You will also avoid being coated in grime and pollution. Not to mention the safety aspects, or lack thereof.

Panthip from KSR, metered taxi - 55 baht

Agreed, but only provided the traffic is decent, for which there is no guarantee. I would calculate 100 baht so as not to be too disappointed.

As for the canal boat, it is an alright option if you do not need to look respectable and are hanging out for a bit of experience and sightseeing, but if it's in the middle of the day and you are anything like most farang, you will be soaked in sweat when you arrive.

From Samsen road (quite a walk up from Khaosan though) you can catch a motorcycle taxi to Panthip for 60-70 baht. Very efficient for getting you through the traffic jams, but again, you'll smell the part when you get there.

All things considered, the metered taxi is your friend unless you are doing some serious budgeting.

If you want a pleasant ride, avoid the older taxi models. You pay the same price either way, but you can get to ride in a 1-3 years old Toyota Corolla Altis with excellent aircon and a good stereo system, instead of a 10-15 year old car with bad shocks, static on the stereo and hot plastic seats. Unless you have a soft spot for spotty taxi drivers, it makes sense to pick a newer one.

Bus 25 (green or red/cream) from outside of KSR will go past world trade and gaysorn - get out there and walk to panthip - cost 7bt

PS make sure you get on the bus on the opposite side of the main road to KSR or you will have to pay twice to get to worldtrade/gaysorn

Bus 25 (green or red/cream) from outside of KSR will go past world trade and gaysorn - get out there and walk to panthip - cost 7bt

PS make sure you get on the bus on the opposite side of the main road to KSR or you will have to pay twice to get to worldtrade/gaysorn

and the good thing about the bus is that by the time you hit pantip your adrenaline is pumping like you are going to die in 5 hours. :D

your then ready to tackle the electronics. :D

another reason i love los.

sweet mate :D

cheers friends :o