Thailand bus crash kills three people

webfact

Bus crash on Khao Kor kills three

1-30-2015-12-39-35-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A chartered double-deck tour bus with about 30 passengers crashed into a concrete barricade on the hilly Highway 12 from Phitsanulok to Lomsak last night, and overturned, killing three and wounding 28.

The incident happened at 02.00 am Friday near Kilometre marker 109-110 in Khao Kor district where road repair work was on.

The tour bus from Chonburi was running down the hilly stretch of the highway on its way to Laos.

However without noticing the road repair work ahead which had no warning light signals, the driver rammed the bus into concrete barriers and overturned.

Three passengers thrown outside the bus from impact were crushed beneath the overturned bus. They were killed.

Rescue workers and highway police were alerted and rushed some 28 injured passengers to three hospitals, Khao Kor, Lomsak and Petcharat.

They were all from Chonburi on the way to tour Vientiane in Laos.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-crash-khao-kor-kills-three

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-30

I know I have come close to hitting these barriers several times. For some reason they do roadwork in unlit areas that is pretty dark even with headlights and suddenly there is a barrier across the road in front of you with no form of warning signs or lights at all. Travelling at 100k( the legal limit) you dont have a lot of time to brake and move to the otherside of the road, often there is just a huge hole in the road where they have dug it up but no one stops to think to warn motorists that it is there. The ones running the roadworks should be charged with murder here, if they had bothered to use signs and warning lights it would not have happened, it appears profits are more important than lives in Thailand or is it that they are too lazy to put them out. Warning signs/lights are badly needed in this country how long till we get someone with the balls to tell the contractors they have to use them or face severe penalties.

They should charge Prajin with criminal negligence and seek his impeachment as head of ministry of transport.

• Like 2

Horrible news of course, but with more then 25.000 people killed in Thai traffic every year, I start to wonder why this is news, I think you can fill a daily news paper with all traffic accidents in Thailand..Nothing will change. Sad days for all the people involved.

"I think you can fill a daily news paper with all traffic accidents in Thailand."

As you could in any other country.

• Like 1

While I agree in principle with posts #4 & 5 it does seem to be the contractors at fault, but I've seen this happen in my area,( in one incidence several times at one particular set of road repairs) I asked the very same question to the contractor who had to pull vehicles out of the way every morning before he could continue work.... the answer was plain & simple:

We put up warning signs & lights every night but people steal them to sell for cash/recycling or materials for something else !!

TIT nothing more to be said !!

and paying for a night guard to watch the lights would be out of the question even when the consequences are well known. perhaps they should be charged with meditated murder right after you determine how much complicity there is with the local body snatchers/hospitals/etc

Edited by rabid old goat

"However without noticing the road repair work ahead which had no warning light signals, the driver rammed the bus into concrete barriers and overturned."

Charge the road contractor, charge the authorities for having no warning lights.

So many times, I've seen that driving in Thailand.

How many deaths they expect to see before they take any action?

RIP to the diseased and hope a speedy recovery for the injured.

The diseased do not need your goulish RIP wishes. The deceased might, but I doubt that they'd know anything about them.

I have regularly driven that road. The road works have been going on for about 18months and at night the conditions are terrible. As stated no warning signs that the road is being diverted etc. Amazing there aren't worse accidents along that stretch.

snip...I asked the very same question to the contractor who had to pull vehicles out of the way every morning before he could continue work.... the answer was plain & simple:

We put up warning signs & lights every night but people steal them to sell for cash/recycling or materials for something else !!

Reminds me of Newfoundlanders extinguishing lighthouses to have some nice wreckage to plunder at dawn. Those were the days my friend.

Yesterday on the same track from Lom Sak to kao Koh I was faced with one of these super buses trying to pass in a curve he had no vision.

Thanx to my driving skills I am still alive. I was about to turn around, take his number and charge the mofo with attempted murder.

Also I know that it is always a no win situation and kept going cursing for a while.

One of the most dangerous roads in Thailand and no cops to be seen at all times.

i wished I had a tank, which I used to drive when I was in the army.

• Like 1

"However without noticing the road repair work ahead which had no warning light signals, the driver rammed the bus into concrete barriers and overturned."

Charge the road contractor, charge the authorities for having no warning lights.

So many times, I've seen that driving in Thailand.

How many deaths they expect to see before they take any action?

RIP to the diseased and hope a speedy recovery for the injured.

The diseased do not need your goulish RIP wishes. The deceased might, but I doubt that they'd know anything about them.

That gouliash (Hungarian soup) might be appreciated by the survivors.

OTOH, the deceased may appear to be rather ghoulish after a few days.

Sad but all too common.

While I agree in principle with posts #4 & 5 it does seem to be the contractors at fault, but I've seen this happen in my area,( in one incidence several times at one particular set of road repairs) I asked the very same question to the contractor who had to pull vehicles out of the way every morning before he could continue work.... the answer was plain & simple:

TIT nothing more to be said !!

15 years ago ... a friend of mine bought / built a nice home in upscale neighborhood just outside Beijing. The road in was windy and the residents put cash together to upgrade the road, paying for surveying, paving, painting etc. The local govt approved. They even put in yellow cat eyes on the sides and divider. It was a very nice few km. The cat eyes in particular were something I do not recall ever seeing in China before.

Within a week all the cat eyes had been dug up and stolen.

Sold? where?

They were left with little gauges that they filled in and left alone.

They put up street lights and these were stolen.

They replaced them and finally they remained.

Strangely enough all the building sites you see in Thailand have the usual safety notices displayed. I have seen sites were I would have closed down but they still have the Safety signs displayed.

Unfortunately Safety in Thailand is a word nothing more

• Like 1

Route 12 is one of the most dangerous in Thailand, but also one of the most picturesque. Nice restaurants and hilltop coffee stations along the way

Route 12 is a very long road,It goes all the way to Mukdahan. I have not been on that road from Phitsanulok, but once you turn left before Phetchaburn, it is not really a bad road at all, as long as the horny elephants are not on it, if so, your car may end up getting shagged.

• Like 1

Discover Thainess!!! RIP to the victims, condolences to the families...

Now what, Mr. PM? Oh yes - why not crack down on small foreign-part-owned tourism businesses, the ones who don't operate these Thailand to the Thais VIP buses with Yaa Baa addicted drivers who kill thousands of people every year? That would be a great start, wouldn't it... since all you officials can do is to point away from the guilty Thai persons or businesses to others, preferrably foreigners who do things by the books. While we are at it - crackdown on scuba operators (part-foreign owned ones only) would be cool too - this certainly will stop your useless Thai drug addicted drunks, who call themselves drivers, from killing people on a daily basis! Keep up the good work in cleaning up Thailand's act!

Power to the people!