Overstay Issue - Laos Border

Hi

My permission to stay ends on Sunday 1st Feb. I'm heading to Savannakhet to get a double entry tourist visa.

My flight itinerary says I arrive at Mukdahan at 21:20 and, as far as I know, the Laos visa on arrival desk shuts at 22:00 so I might miss it.

This means, I cannot leave Thailand and enter Laos until the 06:00 the following day which will obviously be Monday 2nd Feb.

I believe a Thai national or a national of an ASEAN country can cross into Laos easily because they don't require visas to enter but as a Brit, I cannot.

My first thought is that I will charged for one day's overstay at 500 baht but I just wanted to ask if there might be a chance they'll make an exception because I would have been physically unable to leave Thailand on the 1st because of my nationality?

Thanks in advance for your kind advice

Even if you arrived at the bridge at 18:00 you probably would not be allowed to cross the bridge because that is when the Lao visa on arrival office closes. Sometimes they are open later if they are busy. They open at 08:00.

You can get the first bus to Savannakhet at 07:30 from the bus station in Mukdahan.

You will have to pay an overstay fine of 500 baht.

• Like 1

paz, on 30 Jan 2015 - 22:21, said:paz, on 30 Jan 2015 - 22:21, said:
phrodan, on 30 Jan 2015 - 21:24, said:phrodan, on 30 Jan 2015 - 21:24, said:

Change your flight - the irritation factor of the overstay stamp isn't worth it.

What exactly is the "irritation factor" ? Like a skin rash?

Yes I couldn't understand the "irritation factor" either.

Is it likely to come back and bite me or will it affect my tourist visa application?

I'm not bothered about the fine as I can cover the 500 baht without discomfort. If I get an earlier flight, I'd have to pay a flight change fee totalling 900 baht plus I'd lose 1400 baht on the hotel in Mukdahan as I wouldn't be staying there overnight

Edited by BKKBodhisattva

paz, on 30 Jan 2015 - 22:21, said:paz, on 30 Jan 2015 - 22:21, said:
phrodan, on 30 Jan 2015 - 21:24, said:phrodan, on 30 Jan 2015 - 21:24, said:

Change your flight - the irritation factor of the overstay stamp isn't worth it.

What exactly is the "irritation factor" ? Like a skin rash?

Yes I couldn't understand the "irritation factor" either.

Is it likely to come back and bite me or will it affect my tourist visa application?

I'm not bothered about the fine as I can cover the 500 baht without discomfort. If I get an earlier flight, I'd have to pay a flight change fee totalling 900 baht plus I'd lose 1400 baht on the hotel in Mukdahan as I wouldn't be staying there overnight

It will not affect you in any way.