Best of the Boxed Wines?

binjalin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are all a bit of a hybrid of cheap wine and fruit juice (read the boxes carefully). That said we had one at Christmas that wasn't TOO offensive (still not as good as 98% of the bottles but palatable and good for cooking). This was the Finca and Malpica which we picked up in Villa. There are MUCH more expensive boxes out there but at that point I'd rather move onto bottles and gain some variety for my Baht.

I have yet to find a boxed wine here in Thailand that was not "blended" with fruit juice even at Villa in Pattaya

True, just too many here that have fruit juice added..........even some of those "boxed" in OZ.

Did find a Chilean "Bodegas Centenarus" red which didn't have fruit juice added, but be careful as one with a similar name, "Bodegas Valley" is actually an Aussie wine with added fruit juice!!

Check out the discounted wines at the likes of Tesco.........I have just bought 40 bottles of various wines which were discounted heavily. At these prices, far better value than boxed wine and fruit juice!

Peter Vella 5 litre box for about Bt770 is drinkable - but also blended with fruit juice to scrape under the tariff barrier

oh is that why they add it? funnily enough Peter Vella is one of the ones that I don't like (headed by Mont Clare of course)

I guess my hunt for a box without fruit juice added is a forlorn quest sad.png

Checked all the boxes and asked the guy at my local wine shop. He confirmed they ALL have fruit juice added as a tax dodge. NO more boxes for me! cheers

BTW he also related a story from a sales rep. One of the brands did not add fruit juice and sold for 1100 baht - very few sales - so company took all the boxes back and remixed with fruit juice and sold for around 800 baht. Sales skyrocketed.

Checked all the boxes and asked the guy at my local wine shop. He confirmed they ALL have fruit juice added as a tax dodge. NO more boxes for me! cheers

BTW he also related a story from a sales rep. One of the brands did not add fruit juice and sold for 1100 baht - very few sales - so company took all the boxes back and remixed with fruit juice and sold for around 800 baht. Sales skyrocketed.

What's wrong with fruit juice, all wine was fruit juice before it became wine.

When looking for a Boxed Wine look to see if it was packaged in Thailand. Most Boxes say, something like Siam Winery, Bangkok Thailand. These are

mixed and mostly disgusting, like Thai Wines! I have been buying a an Australian Boxed Wine 5L at Makro for about 950 THB. This is the best I have seen

in Thailand in 12 years! That Peter Valle or whatever, says California, is packaged in Bangkok by Siam. Not Good! Now Thai's like sweet wines, so the boxed wines fit their taste buds. My Thai wife likes Boone's Farm (American Fruit Wine) Sangria! 200THB 700 Ml, about $6.25 US!. I believe in the US the price is $2.00, so a 320% markup!!! Ridiculous!!!! But I LOVE Thailand!

I have yet to find a boxed wine here in Thailand that was not "blended" with fruit juice even at Villa in Pattaya

True, just too many here that have fruit juice added..........even some of those "boxed" in OZ.

Did find a Chilean "Bodegas Centenarus" red which didn't have fruit juice added, but be careful as one with a similar name, "Bodegas Valley" is actually an Aussie wine with added fruit juice!!

Check out the discounted wines at the likes of Tesco.........I have just bought 40 bottles of various wines which were discounted heavily. At these prices, far better value than boxed wine and fruit juice!

Totally 2nd that. "Selected for Tesco" label, you can't go far wrong at the price points. I prefer shopping in Villa for variety and value but those 'Selected' labels at Tesco are a sure fire winner.....but not boxed ;)

Peter Vella 5 litre box for about Bt770 is drinkable - but also blended with fruit juice to scrape under the tariff barrier

oh is that why they add it? funnily enough Peter Vella is one of the ones that I don't like (headed by Mont Clare of course)

I guess my hunt for a box without fruit juice added is a forlorn quest sad.png

See if you can find a Chilean red called "Bodegas Centenarus" (or similar spelling) as this does not have any fruit juice in it and it is a very pleasant drinker.

I always look for boxed wines with an Australian label : they never were never disappointed (for their price)

Many of those boxed in Australia now have fruit juice added to get round the tax/tariffs here. Not that it will openly state it on many labels, however on the back somewhere will be written, "Fruit Wine" in small print of course!

To be honest, I don't mind the occasional glass of an Aussie red even if it does have a little fruit juice added to it, however that is the exception rather than the rule.

Totally 2nd that. "Selected for Tesco" label, you can't go far wrong at the price points. I prefer shopping in Villa for variety and value but those 'Selected' labels at Tesco are a sure fire winner.....but not boxed wink.png

You make a good point, however I was actually meaning the wines which Tesco seem to be clearing out from time to time.

As you have said, the "Selected for Tesco" wines are good value for what they are and as a tip to those who may not know, better to look for the "Selected for Tesco" wines which have a vintage/year on them, as the ones which do not carry a year are usually a blend of a couple of different years, hence the reason they cannot put the actual year on the label.

It's a good deal for the winemaker who can get rid of some of last year's stock by blending it with some of his current stock, it will be a very decent drinker if it carries the Tesco label, and it is priced to sell. The one problem is that without a year on the label, you do not know how long it has been standing on the shelves in the store, because as a rule these wines are for immediate drinking and are blended for it.

As an example of the wines which Tesco tend to "clear out" from time to time, there has been Taylors Promised Land, normally 695 baht, cleared out at 399 baht a bottle; Hardys Stamp range (2012) recently cleared out at 199 baht a bottle; Stellenbosch Shiraz (this was a Tesco's label) 2009, was 999 baht, cleared out at 399 baht and numerous others I have purchased over the past couple of years.

I don't know why they have these clear-outs, but I'm grateful that they do..........and I have made mention of them on the "Montclair Wine" thread as they have happened, trying to give tips to other wine lovers.

Totally 2nd that. "Selected for Tesco" label, you can't go far wrong at the price points. I prefer shopping in Villa for variety and value but those 'Selected' labels at Tesco are a sure fire winner.....but not boxed wink.png

You make a good point, however I was actually meaning the wines which Tesco seem to be clearing out from time to time.

As you have said, the "Selected for Tesco" wines are good value for what they are and as a tip to those who may not know, better to look for the "Selected for Tesco" wines which have a vintage/year on them, as the ones which do not carry a year are usually a blend of a couple of different years, hence the reason they cannot put the actual year on the label.

It's a good deal for the winemaker who can get rid of some of last year's stock by blending it with some of his current stock, it will be a very decent drinker if it carries the Tesco label, and it is priced to sell. The one problem is that without a year on the label, you do not know how long it has been standing on the shelves in the store, because as a rule these wines are for immediate drinking and are blended for it.

As an example of the wines which Tesco tend to "clear out" from time to time, there has been Taylors Promised Land, normally 695 baht, cleared out at 399 baht a bottle; Hardys Stamp range (2012) recently cleared out at 199 baht a bottle; Stellenbosch Shiraz (this was a Tesco's label) 2009, was 999 baht, cleared out at 399 baht and numerous others I have purchased over the past couple of years.

I don't know why they have these clear-outs, but I'm grateful that they do..........and I have made mention of them on the "Montclair Wine" thread as they have happened, trying to give tips to other wine lovers.

I once got a cleared out wine and it was borderline of drinkable. Might have been under the lamp for the last 3 years in the supermarket....

Inspired by the posts about Tesco cheap wine, today I bought a 2010 S.A Sauvignon Blanc and a 2012 Chile Chardonnay.

The Sauvignon is not to my taste, while the Chardonnay is fine.

I threw some money at it as it was 248 Baht,....for the 2 bottles.

Edited by Anthony5

Inspired by the posts about Tesco cheap wine, today I bought a 2010 S.A Sauvignon Blanc and a 2012 Chile Chardonnay.

my God that's a bargain -i'm going down there today

"my God that's a bargain -i'm going down there today"

This whole thread is filled with comments like "barely drinkable," "not to my taste," "I've drunk worse," "mostly disgusting," and "borderline drinkable."

I'm not a wine snob but it seems the theme here is to find the cheapest wine that doesn't remove the enamel from your teeth. If you buy 3 bottles at Baht 250 each and only one of them is remotely palatable, why is that a better bargain than spending Baht 750 for a single bottle that was enjoyable and left your liver intact?

post-145917-0-93720300-1423015926_thumb.

This whole thread is filled with comments like "barely drinkable," "not to my taste," "I've drunk worse," "mostly disgusting," and "borderline drinkable."

I'm not a wine snob but it seems the theme here is to find the cheapest wine that doesn't remove the enamel from your teeth. If you buy 3 bottles at Baht 250 each and only one of them is remotely palatable, why is that a better bargain than spending Baht 750 for a single bottle that was enjoyable and left your liver intact?

well, actually, the theme was to find even ONE BOX that was palatable and not mixed with fruit juice (we weren't even discussing bottles)

As binjalin said, this was about boxed wine............but having said that, I have thoroughly enjoyed the bottles of wine that I have acquired through searching for "bargains" and the Stellenbosch Shiraz and Old Vine Zinfandel wines have been a revelation, one at a discount of 80%!!

Did you notice I paid 248 Baht a a total for both bottles, and the South African wine became palatable after it was chilled smile.png

By the way the proper term is "cask" wine not box, the method of packaging was created in Australia many years ago to provide a cheaper, and bulkier, alternative to bottled wine.

Some brands of "cask" wine in Australia are excellent however because of the blending of fruit in the ones that are available here now the taste has headed south.

I bought a cask of Berri Red the other day which I think was an improvement on Mont Clair ,Peter Vella etc but only marginally.

There are parts of Thailand which climatically and soil wise would be excellent for wine growing and I have mentioned to some small "fruit" wine growers that they should consider getting some overseas expertise to get an industry off the ground, along with some tax breaks from the government,as they did in Oz many years ago, but it falls on deaf ears.Would create a huge amount of employment.

When, and if you do, happen to go home a reasonable bottle of wine is like chalk and cheese to the stuff we are exposed to here.

A few years ago Australia had a glut of wine ,maybe they still do, and they sold what they called "clean skins" where producers had pooled their wine and it was just sold in bottles with plain label ,no brand name,eg 2015 Merlot.They were less than 120 baht a bottle and you could buy a 6 pack.very popular for BBQ's and general consumption unless you were a wine snob.

I mainly use Villa, although Tesco can be good. The guy who had the Hardy's for 199b got a bargain.

In general, boxed wines are not very good (which is why you don't see Chateau Margaux in a box).

Villa had/has a red 5 litre box called Jimberoo (Aust). At 999b it was drinkable (just), but then I bought 3 boxes which were all "off", so I have stopped that one. The box is purple/lilac in colour.

Some are mixed with juice but many are not. Check carefully. Anything which looks French but was bottled at Siam Winery or Chaing mai (or also in Vietnam!) is usually horrible.

Montclair is awful. the Sol y Mar is supposed to be Chilean but is almost as bad. Some are OK as a cooler with sprite!

I'm using the Chilean Bodegas box(799b Villa) to mix with sprite, just now.

The Australian Brookfields bottles (Villa) has just gone up from 350 to 445 in the Cabernet and the Shiraz versions. I find it OK.

Jacobs Eeeek is absolute Jam for the price they charge (yuk). The most common unexciting rubbish (Jammy or Jam is a wine buff term for cheap wine which is like the 3rd pressing or just tastes awful)

The Wolf Blass yellow labels are OK at about 850.

Let's face it, no wine under 800b is "good" in Thailand unless it's on promotion or a bin-end.

I'm not a sommelier, although I lived in France and Spain for 16 years (also worked in the grape-harvesting 3-4 times) so I'm not a complete amateur. I've been an armchair buff for 40 years.

Eddy

(ps if you buy wine by the glass in any BKK restaurant excluding the swish ones, it's almost always MonT Clair or some such rubbish. Ask to see the bottle.)

(pss the late great Chris Hitchens always said that cheap booze and cheap fags are a false economy. He should know, because booze and fags gave him the cancer which killed him. If you want to enjoy wine, buy something for 800b and enjoy it. Don't buy for 200 b for 2 bottles and then feel smug. You are almost certainly drinking jam)

Edited by pauleddy

What I can't understand why there is no non fruit mixed boxed wine available in Thailand no matter what the cost

I like boxed wine for the convenience and ease of use. I probably will only open a bottle of wine when cooking or serving something special, but a glass out of a box would be an almost daily affair

I understand that the sellers are trying to save on the tax but why no option for the consumer to have boxed or cask wine and pay for it ?

Someone mentioned (Anthony5, #22) cooling a wine (normally a no-no for red wine), but I must say that in certain restaurants I have noticed that a cooled box wine is perfectly drinkable.

It could be that the cooling serves to obscure the less than pleasant taste that might otherwise be there.

Correct. That was the Cedar Creek. I was lucky to get the last ones before the juice, very drinkable, especially the white one. Then it changed, like you said, and now it is crap. I suggest buying the Matti in 2 litre bottle. Not exactly the price you can find in boxes, but very drinkable, especially the white. You can get it around 430 B. No fruit juice added. I think this is the best cheap option around.

Correct. That was the Cedar Creek. I was lucky to get the last ones before the juice, very drinkable, especially the white one. Then it changed, like you said, and now it is crap. I suggest buying the Matti in 2 litre bottle. Not exactly the price you can find in boxes, but very drinkable, especially the white. You can get it around 430 B. No fruit juice added. I think this is the best cheap option around.

I have never seen Matti wine : where did you buy it?

If you want to enjoy wine, buy something for 800b and enjoy it. Don't buy for 200 b for 2 bottles and then feel smug. You are almost certainly drinking jam)

Well, the bottles that here go for 400-800 Bt are the some ones that go for 2-6 EUR back home. In my view they are only little better than the boxed wines

Well I will have a shout out for Peter Vella, it may not be orgasmic, but I think it's a great drink for quaffing in front of the TV. I don't much care if it has fruit juice added, it's still 11.5% alcohol which gives it the bite I like. I've never had an "off" box, I've tried all the others and never liked them.

I like the locally produced Grand Monte wine from Kao Yai but it's just too expensive for everyday. Until the ridiculous tax/duty situation is sorted out or someone starts producing a drinkable local wine at reasonable price, I will stick to the Siam Winery product. They can send me some free boxes for the publicity if they like!