Need some advice. 4-5 month stay

MedellinHeel

Hello,

After finishing my contract I need somewhere to hangout and kill time for 4-5 months. I was initially planning to do this in the Philippines, but I am thinking it will more expensive than Thailand.

I will have a budget of around 6,000 dollars. Is this doable? I am aware that I will need to make a visa run (im American btw).

I am assuming if I try to rent an apartment I will need to put down a deposit and pay 1 month in advance? I would like to be in walking distance from the BTS and some type of mall for going out during the day to get food and what not. I heard OnNut is decent for housing options?

I would just be looking for a decent clean place with internet.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

• Like 1

Have you considered somewhere cheaper such as Chiang Mai or perhaps Pattaya?

Well, just how much cheaper is CM and Pattaya? Food in Bangkok was dirt cheap. So only other to consider is rent prices.

How much will a decent clean studio or 1 bedroom apartment with internet cost in in Bangkok compared to those other locations? (assuming it is decently located and not desolate and far from central locations)

A friend just told me I could get a decent apartment / condo in Bangkok for around 6,500baht + utilities & internet (3,000baht) with a two month deposit.

So all together would cost me roughly 2,000 dollars for 5 months for rent and utilities. Seems to be about the same price someone else I knew said they were paying in CM.

Anyone know any apartment or condo names around this price range in Bangkok?

Edited by MedellinHeel

A friend just told me I could get a decent apartment / condo in Bangkok for around 6,500baht + utilities & internet (3,000baht) with a two month deposit.

So all together would cost me roughly 2,000 dollars for 5 months for rent and utilities. Seems to be about the same price someone else I knew said they were paying in CM.

Anyone know any apartment or condo names around this price range in Bangkok?

"Anyone know any apartment or condo names around this price range in Bangkok?"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=5c77bc32390dd7e465a9753eb294d691&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=apartments for rent bangkok

Edited by Suradit69

US$6,000 x 32.31 (current exchange rate) = 193,860 Baht / 150 days = 1,292 Baht a day.

So you'd need to hang around in the least expensive parts of the country like Isaan and the northeast. It's do-able, but you'll have to live like a pauper.

For four months, it's a little better at 1,615 Baht a day, but you'll still have to avoid the tourist orientated locations.

• Like 1

I am not a monger (although I do plan to go on some cheap dates and invite girls over for a movie), not a heavy drinker, and not a shopaholic.

Basically just plan to chill out, read, relax, work on a website, and meet girls. I am 28 and dont really need the conveniences as most older people I meet.

Talking to some friends in the Philippines it appears I might be able to chill out there with my budget. Although finding an apartment for short term appears to be harder than Thailand but doable.

Edited by MedellinHeel

Monger?

^^ What a load of ole tosh. If you're not a mongerer, heavy drinker, shopaholic, don't need aircon on 15 degrees 24-7, etc etc, it is easily doable. One doesn't need to spend their budget EVERY day. Days spent in the pool, at the mall, reading books, surfing the net, etc, don't cost anything apart from couple hundred on food.

When he said monger, he is referring to someone that pays for the company of the opposite sex (or same sex depending on which way you swing).

I'm almost 100% sure the PI would be cheaper than Thailand. I've got quite a few friends who've moved there and are relatively happy. Seems female companionship is easier, especially since almost all speak English. Definitely NOT the case here. Food is better here, as is security. But, for a relatively small amount of money, you can live near a really nice beach in the PI.

Have you ever been to Bangkok? It's a big city and the air is horrible right now. Traffic is a mess and getting around isn't that easy nor really cheap. Considering your budget. Don't get me wrong, I love Bangkok. But am happy to leave about a week or so. I just not a big city guy.

• Like 1

Well, just how much cheaper is CM and Pattaya? Food in Bangkok was dirt cheap. So only other to consider is rent prices.

How much will a decent clean studio or 1 bedroom apartment with internet cost in in Bangkok compared to those other locations? (assuming it is decently located and not desolate and far from central locations)

In safe and prime Chiang Rai location, you can get a small well furnished studio, no kitchen, on new buildings with free cable TV and WiFi, for less than 2500 THB with free parking. Surrounded with markets, restaurants and universities, and close to city's main attractions. Just one month rent and one month deposit in advance, on a month by month contract. All that in the best city and weather of North Thailand. Most info, just let me know.

• Like 1

I'm almost 100% sure the PI would be cheaper than Thailand. I've got quite a few friends who've moved there and are relatively happy. Seems female companionship is easier, especially since almost all speak English. Definitely NOT the case here. Food is better here, as is security. But, for a relatively small amount of money, you can live near a really nice beach in the PI.

Have you ever been to Bangkok? It's a big city and the air is horrible right now. Traffic is a mess and getting around isn't that easy nor really cheap. Considering your budget. Don't get me wrong, I love Bangkok. But am happy to leave about a week or so. I just not a big city guy.

I spent 2 months in Philippines and one week in Bangkok last winter.

The only area Philippines is cheaper than Bangkok on is nightlife. Going out to Western Style clubs in Bangkok is really expensive. Apartments/Hotels and food are def cheaper in Thailand. I could get a plate of food from the mall in Bangkok for like 1 dollar. Plate from a mall in Philippines will run you like 2-4 dollars. I have already located a few short term apartments in BKK for around 200-300 bucks a month. Still digging for anything equivalent in the Philippines. They have cheap ones for sure but you will not find them online and they will generally be outside of the city and not be furnished.

I am not looking to live on a beach. I need a large supply of girls to meet particularly online. Can only have that in or around the big cities.

Edited by MedellinHeel
  • Like 1

In safe and prime Chiang Rai location, you can get a small well furnished studio, no kitchen, on new buildings with free cable TV and WiFi, for less than 2500 THB with free parking. Surrounded with markets, restaurants and universities, and close to city's main attractions. Just one month rent and one month deposit in advance, on a month by month contract. All that in the best city and weather of North Thailand. Most info, just let me know.

Chiang Rai might be too sleepy for me. Chiang Mai seems like a doable option.

• Like 1

I am not a monger (although I do plan to go on some cheap dates and invite girls over for a movie), not a heavy drinker, and not a shopaholic.

Basically just plan to chill out, read, relax, work on a website, and meet girls. I am 28 and dont really need the conveniences as most older people I meet.

Talking to some friends in the Philippines it appears I might be able to chill out there with my budget. Although finding an apartment for short term appears to be harder than Thailand but doable.

I too would expect Pattaya or CM to be a better option than Bangkok.

Why would you want to live in the heat, smoke and crowds there...... when, as you say, you want to chill out.

An apartment for a few months in Pattaya should not be difficult.....reading and relaxing on a beach works for me!

Why would you want to live in the heat, smoke and crowds there...... when, as you say, you want to chill out.

An apartment for a few months in Pattaya should not be difficult.....reading and relaxing on a beach works for me!

How many non working girls are in Pattaya? I have always thought of that place as red light central in Thailand.

I might should have clarified. I will be on a tight budget, so my fun is gonna primarily revolve around setting up a few cheap dates a week.

Basically chill out in the apartment, at a pool, or in a mall during the day. Then set up a cheap date at night. So, I need a decent pool of women to keep me entertained.

So small towns and remote beaches will not work as well as hooker central.

How many non working girls are in Pattaya? I have always thought of that place as red light central in Thailand.

It is what it is, but why would that impact on a place to chill out?

Bangkok is hardly devoid of that type of thing!

Plenty of nice beaches around Pattaya, certainly closer than there are to Bangkok, where those really clean klongs and rivers add to the aroma..yeuch.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I was down in the Philippines 5 years, until a week ago. Now here paying B220/day in Khaosan Road area. Brought from Phils (2) some USB dongles for wi-fi. Purchased HAPPY TOURIST SIM card for B299 then reloaded for B500 and was satisfied with the speed in laptop. Some of the Hostels offer free internet here, but "a friend" lived at this place and so I moved in here. They offer wifi but it costs extra

Down in the PI, IMHO was less expensive but not as exciting, and I have 150 youtube videos about how it NEVER took more than an afternoon to locate a comfortable place to reside, whether I was up in Ilocos Norte or down in Zamboanga. My most expensive mansion cost US $175/mo (Ph 7000) but normally rent was less than Ph 4500/mo

Under no circumstances should you pay advanced deposits down there, always pay only your 30 days up front only. Inform them you have a tourist visa good for only 30 days but you will MAYBE renew it for staying 60 days.

Chiang Rai might be too sleepy for me. Chiang Mai seems like a doable option.

Chiang Mai is wonderful and I've never seen so many beautiful girls in one smallish place...and I've lived in Malaysia, Japan, Africa, Europe, USA and visited a million other places over 40 years. Chiang Mai is simply IT!

• Like 1

I was down in the Philippines 5 years, until a week ago. Now here paying B220/day in Khaosan Road area. Brought from Phils (2) some USB dongles for wi-fi. Purchased HAPPY TOURIST SIM card for B299 then reloaded for B500 and was satisfied with the speed in laptop. Some of the Hostels offer free internet here, but "a friend" lived at this place and so I moved in here. They offer wifi but it costs extra

Down in the PI, IMHO was less expensive but not as exciting, and I have 150 youtube videos about how it NEVER took more than an afternoon to locate a comfortable place to reside, whether I was up in Ilocos Norte or down in Zamboanga. My most expensive mansion cost US $175/mo (Ph 7000) but normally rent was less than Ph 4500/mo

Under no circumstances should you pay advanced deposits down there, always pay only your 30 days up front only. Inform them you have a tourist visa good for only 30 days but you will MAYBE renew it for staying 60 days.

Link to your youtube site?

Assuming I am looking to stay in the Philippines,

So are you suggesting I simply ride around an area I want to live looking for various apartments and condos and call the number or speak to the landlord and simply say I am looking to for a place to stay for 3-5 months? I always thought one needed to pay deposits in case you break stuff or something else for the landlord to have a chance at recovering some damages etc.

You think food is cheaper in the Philippines?

Thanks

Ps. How should I go about getting a scooter to use for my time there? How much should I pay a month?

Edited by MedellinHeel

^^ What a load of ole tosh. If you're not a mongerer, heavy drinker, shopaholic, don't need aircon on 15 degrees 24-7, etc etc, it is easily doable. One doesn't need to spend their budget EVERY day. Days spent in the pool, at the mall, reading books, surfing the net, etc, don't cost anything apart from couple hundred on food.

CM is a lot cheaper (relatively) than Bkk for food, drink and digs, but unfortunately is coming into the burning/hot season, which is the worst time to be there. Previously, you wouldn't have needed to use your aircon.

Yes and if you have to go to a hospital you can always start a thread that you don't have any money to pay for it.