Patong is dead.

hansgruber

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was driving on nanai, there used to be an italian restaurant named Vecchia Puglia who closed a few months or weeks ago.

Near aussie divers shop i think.

It seems that some thai people took over the place who was for rent or it's the owner of the guesthouse there, i dont know.

But there is a sign in the front that says, "Happy Hour Cocktails 180 bahts"...

... this area is dead and they hope to sell expensive drinks there... Good luck then....

Looks like these people still think farangs have money to spend like this and i guess they dont even know how to do cocktails anyway...

It closed almost a year ago. Nanai has always been dead in low season. Nothing new about it. Few months it will pick right back up like rest of Phuket. Its kinda nice this time of the year

Was driving on nanai, there used to be an italian restaurant named Vecchia Puglia who closed a few months or weeks ago.

It seems that some thai people took over the place who was for rent or it's the owner of the guesthouse there, i dont know.

... this area is dead and they hope to sell expensive drinks there... Good luck then....

Looks like these people still think farangs have money to spend like this and i guess they dont even know how to do cocktails anyway...

It closed almost a year ago and the food sucked anyways, bad food equals no business. Nanai has always been dead in low season. Nothing new about it. Few months it will pick right back up like rest of Phuket. Its kinda nice this time of the year Edited by 2fishin2

I was talking to a friend today who has been here for around ten years <snip>

Honestly, if anyone can find a nightlife spot (or most things) that they still enjoy the same 10 years on...they need to see a doctor as they seem to have some development difficulties. Not only is Bangla constantly changing, but so are we as well.

Are there things on Bangla that have been lost? Sure, and Bangla is the poorer for it

Things that could have/should have improved? Without any shadow of a doubt, infrastructure investment being number 1

But, also nothing ever stays the same.

Sometimes get mildly annoyed when talking to "old timers" who constantly seem to be bitching in some bar or another, about how things used to be cheaper (how much was a beer/pack of cigs/bedroom activities in your country 10/15 years ago? And how much is it now? usual shuts them up....unhappily) , how the girls used to be cheaper/not so greedy (their living costs have gone up and they started to realize their worth hint: don't expect a stunner for the price of 2 packs of cigs back home anymore) and the other endless complaints.

Usually find it best to pull away from them and join the "newbies" who are not stuck in the past and still know how to have a good time

Some people just need to realize, they have changed to much and the nightlife that Bangla offers or even maybe the whole "Phuket experience" is just not for them anymore.The newbies on the other hand are having the times of their lives...If only we could all be a newbie everytime

Edited by Lashay

It closed almost a year ago and the food sucked anyways, bad food equals no business. Nanai has always been dead in low season. Nothing new about it. Few months it will pick right back up like rest of Phuket. Its kinda nice this time of the year

That the one on the opposite corner from the dive shop?

Was never sure of the ownership of that place (somehow tied to the one of the restaurants on Sansabai) but was managed by young Italian guy, he left towards end of high season when he started to have "difficulties" with certain elements of his countrymen here. Now back in Italy.

And yes food was crap

I think I met the TV member who part owned Sweet Lemongrass along with his lady, Aoy, who still manages the place and seems to be doing well at it although she has said the visitor numbers had dropped quite markedly. It is one of those places which tourists seem to seek out because it is well-regarded on Google and TripAdvisor, but again with "quality" tourist numbers down, it is only to be expected that they are seeing quite times, however I hope it survives because it is simply one of the best bone fide massage places around.

Tried this other day with a friend (my normal girl has gone up north for a few months) as remembered it mentioned here. Nice setup, clean and professional and reasonable prices.

But will not be back anytime soon because we both got what i call a "tourist massage" , basically go though the set motions, make customer hurt so they feel like they are getting a good massage but no actual feel for the customers body/muscles (my shoulder muscles are like rocks, something any decent massager can instantly tell..sometimes even before they touch me. These girls barely noticed). One girl doing this could be chalked up to bad luck, but both...

Edited by Lashay

I was talking to a friend today who has been here for around ten years <snip>

Honestly, if anyone can find a nightlife spot (or most things) that they still enjoy the same 10 years on...they need to see a doctor as they seem to have some development difficulties. Not only is Bangla constantly changing, but so are we as well.

Are there things on Bangla that have been lost? Sure, and Bangla is the poorer for it

Things that could have/should have improved? Without any shadow of a doubt, infrastructure investment being number 1

But, also nothing ever stays the same.

Sometimes get mildly annoyed when talking to "old timers" who constantly seem to be bitching in some bar or another, about how things used to be cheaper (how much was a beer/pack of cigs/bedroom activities in your country 10/15 years ago? And how much is it now? usual shuts them up....unhappily) , how the girls used to be cheaper/not so greedy (their living costs have gone up and they started to realize their worth hint: don't expect a stunner for the price of 2 packs of cigs back home anymore) and the other endless complaints.

Usually find it best to pull away from them and join the "newbies" who are not stuck in the past and still know how to have a good time

Some people just need to realize, they have changed to much and the nightlife that Bangla offers or even maybe the whole "Phuket experience" is just not for them anymore.The newbies on the other hand are having the times of their lives...If only we could all be a newbie everytime

Talk about hitting the nail on the head

Went past that today and it was opened up again as a restaurant and place (bar?) which was advertising pizzas, pasta and cocktails. There were about four "employees" in the place, all sitting around and busy on their iPhones etc, but no customers.

Don't know where they are aiming to get their customers from, but the little Soi behind the restaurant seems to be fairly devoid of occupants, with at least nine houses either for sale or rent, so that probably tells you something about the area.

Maybe this says something about the "mentality" of folks that seem to be opening up these places after previous ones have failed..........the small Soi way past this heading south on the right-hand side has most of its small shops for sale/rent and when I ventured down there to look at what was going on, I was approached by the lady owner of a massage shop asking if I wanted a massage, which I didn't, however I did speak to her about the business and she said it was very bad.

I then asked why she would want to open in this Soi where there was no passing foot traffic, thereby meaning customers were hard to come by, and she told me that the reason she rented the shop just recently was because the rent was cheap (10,000 baht per month) and she couldn't afford to go anywhere else.

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me that one would open a shop in a place where customers would be hard to come by, just because the rent was cheap, but I think that is the mentality of a lot of Thai folk who dream of opening a small business and that is also reflected in the four small "roller blind" type shops at the bottom of Soi Nanai 6, all of which have opened and closed within a matter of months, except for the small laundry at the end which cannot be making a profit judging by the amount of laundry I have seen in there, but which has soldiered on.

I don't suppose the landlords mind too much as long as someone is prepared to front up with a few months rental in advance, because it seems that someone will always think that they can make a profit in a business where many others have failed previously, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

As I have said previously, perhaps places like Nanai Road are now "surplus to requirements" as regards business from both tourists and long-stay expats.

<snip>

Maybe this says something about the "mentality" of folks that seem to be opening up these places after previous ones have failed..........the small Soi way past this heading south on the right-hand side has most of its small shops for sale/rent and when I ventured down there to look at what was going on, I was approached by the lady owner of a massage shop asking if I wanted a massage, which I didn't, however I did speak to her about the business and she said it was very bad.

I then asked why she would want to open in this Soi where there was no passing foot traffic, thereby meaning customers were hard to come by, and she told me that the reason she rented the shop just recently was because the rent was cheap (10,000 baht per month) and she couldn't afford to go anywhere else.

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me that one would open a shop in a place where customers would be hard to come by, just because the rent was cheap, but I think that is the mentality of a lot of Thai folk who dream of opening a small business and that is also reflected in the four small "roller blind" type shops at the bottom of Soi Nanai 6, all of which have opened and closed within a matter of months, except for the small laundry at the end which cannot be making a profit judging by the amount of laundry I have seen in there, but which has soldiered on.

I don't suppose the landlords mind too much as long as someone is prepared to front up with a few months rental in advance, because it seems that someone will always think that they can make a profit in a business where many others have failed previously, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

As I have said previously, perhaps places like Nanai Road are now "surplus to requirements" as regards business from both tourists and long-stay expats.

Yes, this is exactly correct.

In the US, we were fairly well wired into the local Thai and Vietnamese communities. It was heartbreaking to see these people save their money for years only to buy a failing restaurant or nail salon in the same location where the same type of businesses had failed several times over. For them, as you say, it was the dream of owning their own business, but without any sort of understanding why the previous owners had failed, and a plan for what they would do differently to ensure their success, they were doomed to failure from day one. We saw this happen time after time.

The same thing happens here in Patong. In addition to the Italian restaurant previously mentioned, I've noticed that the little pharmacy at the bottom of soi 6 that vacated recently has been rented by someone opening yet another pharmacy.

It closed almost a year ago and the food sucked anyways, bad food equals no business. Nanai has always been dead in low season. Nothing new about it. Few months it will pick right back up like rest of Phuket. Its kinda nice this time of the year

That the one on the opposite corner from the dive shop?

Was never sure of the ownership of that place (somehow tied to the one of the restaurants on Sansabai) but was managed by young Italian guy, he left towards end of high season when he started to have "difficulties" with certain elements of his countrymen here. Now back in Italy.

And yes food was crap

Yes, that one.

Just funny to see their sign, happy hour cocktail for 180 bahts... So what is the regular price then, 300... Ridiculous.

Went past that today and it was opened up again as a restaurant and place (bar?) which was advertising pizzas, pasta and cocktails. There were about four "employees" in the place, all sitting around and busy on their iPhones etc, but no customers.

Don't know where they are aiming to get their customers from, but the little Soi behind the restaurant seems to be fairly devoid of occupants, with at least nine houses either for sale or rent, so that probably tells you something about the area.

In that restaurant, some staff look like tuk tuk drivers, very welcoming... haha

About nanai 6, i am suprised to see that someone took over the pharmacy who closed down a few months ago, at the beginning of nanai 6.

There is nobody stopping here or walking by, surprised a thai is taking over this pharmacy, barely one customer per day and the rent is like 20 000 i think, good luck!

I think I met the TV member who part owned Sweet Lemongrass along with his lady, Aoy, who still manages the place and seems to be doing well at it although she has said the visitor numbers had dropped quite markedly. It is one of those places which tourists seem to seek out because it is well-regarded on Google and TripAdvisor, but again with "quality" tourist numbers down, it is only to be expected that they are seeing quite times, however I hope it survives because it is simply one of the best bone fide massage places around.

Tried this other day with a friend (my normal girl has gone up north for a few months) as remembered it mentioned here. Nice setup, clean and professional and reasonable prices.

But will not be back anytime soon because we both got what i call a "tourist massage" , basically go though the set motions, make customer hurt so they feel like they are getting a good massage but no actual feel for the customers body/muscles (my shoulder muscles are like rocks, something any decent massager can instantly tell..sometimes even before they touch me. These girls barely noticed). One girl doing this could be chalked up to bad luck, but both...

If i may recommend a massage place on that same soi, soi nanai 8, Mulberry Massage, at the end of soi nanai 8 but the other way, before soi tan, the massage is located in front of the Citrus heights Hotel.

New, clean place and professional staff, they have a website http://www.mulberrymassage.com , about same prices other places.

Edited by phuketlive

I was talking to a friend today who has been here for around ten years and he stated that he thought Bangla had changed so much that it held nothing for him now and even though he might visit the place for something to eat, he would go straight home afterwards, whereas before he would linger in some of the bars and people watch, but now he said there was "nothing worth watching".

The more I thought about this, the more I wondered EXACTLY what had changed and when I asked him the question he went on to describe the Sois in Bangla that had closed/disappeared, along with the beer bars, and so on.

My question to him then was well if all that has changed is the fact that some beer bars have disappeared and have been replaced by others, for example at one time there was only one Tiger complex, now there are two, then there is no real "change" per se. And one can still "people watch" if one wanted to.

Sure, great pubs like Scruffy Murphy's have disappeared, but then other venues have opened up that weren't there before, so one could argue that the only change has been change and nothing startling at that.

The more I thought about this, the more his comments puzzled me, so I suggested that maybe it was him who had changed (along with me to a certain extent) and that we were over it now? Sure the demographics have changed, but Bangla remains that which it always was, a place full of bars, go-go clubs and discos along with the liberal sprinkling of girls.

I then tied this conversation to one that I've had over the past month with quite a few people who have come here for the first time. A group of five guys from the USA were having a great time and thought the place was "fantastic"; a couple of guys from different parts of Australia were here for the first time and thought it was great and were keen to find ways in which they could stay, even asking what business opportunities there were here; a large group of students from Denmark also said the same thing...............

My point is that the first-time visitors here think the place is just great and want to come back, much the same as perhaps we did, say 10 years ago, and perhaps Bangla has changed but only in as much as that change happens, and the point being that I/we are so used to it now that it has lost its gloss, but the first timers are just as keen and eager to come back as we were all those years ago.

Perhaps those of us lamenting the fact that "Patong is dead" still have the old times in mind and just the same as has happened in many towns and cities around the world, the demographics change and with it the centres of entertainment, small businesses, restaurants, shops etc, leaving many to close down and many more to open up.........food for thought perhaps.

This is why I ask people I meet here, "Where else have you been in Thailand, or South East Asia?"

For those who are on their first holiday to Thailand, and it just happens to be Phuket, and Patong, where I meet most of them, great. I've party with them sometimes, and even got lucky a few times.

For those, when asked the same question, reply, "I live here. I haven't been anywhere else." - FAIL.

I agree with your post in that, places change with time, as people change with time, but for those who live here, and for whatever reason, have been no where else in Thailand, or South East Asia, how can their opinion be relied upon????

I was talking to a friend today who has been here for around ten years and he stated that he thought Bangla had changed so much that it held nothing for him now and even though he might visit the place for something to eat, he would go straight home afterwards, whereas before he would linger in some of the bars and people watch, but now he said there was "nothing worth watching".

The more I thought about this, the more I wondered EXACTLY what had changed and when I asked him the question he went on to describe the Sois in Bangla that had closed/disappeared, along with the beer bars, and so on.

My question to him then was well if all that has changed is the fact that some beer bars have disappeared and have been replaced by others, for example at one time there was only one Tiger complex, now there are two, then there is no real "change" per se. And one can still "people watch" if one wanted to.

Sure, great pubs like Scruffy Murphy's have disappeared, but then other venues have opened up that weren't there before, so one could argue that the only change has been change and nothing startling at that.

The more I thought about this, the more his comments puzzled me, so I suggested that maybe it was him who had changed (along with me to a certain extent) and that we were over it now? Sure the demographics have changed, but Bangla remains that which it always was, a place full of bars, go-go clubs and discos along with the liberal sprinkling of girls.

I then tied this conversation to one that I've had over the past month with quite a few people who have come here for the first time. A group of five guys from the USA were having a great time and thought the place was "fantastic"; a couple of guys from different parts of Australia were here for the first time and thought it was great and were keen to find ways in which they could stay, even asking what business opportunities there were here; a large group of students from Denmark also said the same thing...............

My point is that the first-time visitors here think the place is just great and want to come back, much the same as perhaps we did, say 10 years ago, and perhaps Bangla has changed but only in as much as that change happens, and the point being that I/we are so used to it now that it has lost its gloss, but the first timers are just as keen and eager to come back as we were all those years ago.

Perhaps those of us lamenting the fact that "Patong is dead" still have the old times in mind and just the same as has happened in many towns and cities around the world, the demographics change and with it the centres of entertainment, small businesses, restaurants, shops etc, leaving many to close down and many more to open up.........food for thought perhaps.

This is why I ask people I meet here, "Where else have you been in Thailand, or South East Asia?"

For those who are on their first holiday to Thailand, and it just happens to be Phuket, and Patong, where I meet most of them, great. I've party with them sometimes, and even got lucky a few times.

For those, when asked the same question, reply, "I live here. I haven't been anywhere else." - FAIL.

I agree with your post in that, places change with time, as people change with time, but for those who live here, and for whatever reason, have been no where else in Thailand, or South East Asia, how can their opinion be relied upon????

I doubt there are many westerners who have settled in Phuket and have been to no-where else in SE Asia.

I doubt there are many westerners who have settled in Phuket and have been to no-where else in SE Asia.

You would be surprised.

Many come to Thailand, fall in love with a bar girl, and only ever see Thailand, and in some cases, do not see much of Thailand, either.

Each to their own, but when they criticize a neighbouring county/place, and they haven't even been there, it shows their ignorance.

A recent example was an expat I had met who said "Cambodia is a sh*thole."

I asked, "When were you last in Sihanoukville?" (assuming that was the place he was referring to)

His reply, "Never went there."

I didn't bother to ask him if he had been to see the UNESCO world heritage Angkor Wat. :)

You would be surprised.

Many come to Thailand, fall in love with a bar girl, and only ever see Thailand, and in some cases, do not see much of Thailand, either.

Each to their own, but when they criticize a neighbouring county/place, and they haven't even been there, it shows their ignorance.

A recent example was an expat I had met who said "Cambodia is a sh*thole."

I asked, "When were you last in Sihanoukville?" (assuming that was the place he was referring to)

His reply, "Never went there."

I didn't bother to ask him if he had been to see the UNESCO world heritage Angkor Wat. smile.png

But he had been to Cambodia right? Living in Siem Reap how many times are you going to say "Yaaayyy lets go to Ankor Wat again!". I hate Patong but if given the choice between the two would still pick the Phuket option.

@ Peterocket

That's my point, Peterocket.

If he said, "Phnom Penh is a sh*thole." I would have agreed.

However, he said, "Cambodia is a sh*thole" - and he hadn't even been to Sihanoukville. So, the whole country of Cambodia is a "sh*thole" and he hasn't seen much of it at all.

This is why people should not judge Patong, before at least visiting the place, and of course, should not judge Phuket, by Patong.

@ Peterocket

However, he said, "Cambodia is a sh*thole" - and he hadn't even been to Sihanoukville. So, the whole country of Cambodia is a "sh*thole" and he hasn't seen much of it at all.

This is why people should not judge Patong, before at least visiting the place, and of course, should not judge Phuket, by Patong.

NKM is right about some expats who are territorial and see little of Thailand and at a micro level, Phuket. I know one Aussie who (did have a bar in chalong pier road, before going broke) who came out to Thailand 3-6 months every year for more than a decade. He remained solely in Chalong. A big day out was going to the beach at Nai Harn.

@ Peterocket

NKM is right about some expats who are territorial and see little of Thailand and at a micro level, Phuket. I know one Aussie who (did have a bar in chalong pier road, before going broke) who came out to Thailand 3-6 months every year for more than a decade. He remained solely in Chalong. A big day out was going to the beach at Nai Harn.

Who gives a FF, if that's what the bloke wanted to do then that's his prerogative.

@ Peterocket

Who gives a FF, if that's what the bloke wanted to do then that's his prerogative.

Of course. Someone can choose to do whatever they want. However, NKMs point was that people such as this then make comments like, Phuket town is a sh!thole and there are no good bars or nightclubs. Fact is, they have never been to Phuket Town. What gives them the right to speak with didacticism?

Nothing like a pair of eyes.......

http://www.lookr.com/lookout/1404298415#action-play-day

Am I correct?

I saw only 3 farangs in the bar, all known to each other, for around 2 hours, over a 24 hour period.

Same as most bars in Phuket then

So, it's just a matter of time before the majority go broke. Nothing new about that.

What is new, is there doesn't seem to be the stary eyed farang buyers like there used to be, hence, many remained closed, or the owner puts some cheap Thai staff in, just to keep the lights on.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Peterocket

Of course. Someone can choose to do whatever they want. However, NKMs point was that people such as this then make comments like, Phuket town is a sh!thole and there are no good bars or nightclubs. Fact is, they have never been to Phuket Town. What gives them the right to speak with didacticism?

Exactly, and Phuket has a lot expats, and tourists, who have not explored Thailand very much, let alone, South East Asia, and they will talk up Phuket, depite never going to any comparable places in the country / region.

Some guys here only know two places in Thailand. Phuket, and some village up in Issan.

Credibility - zero.

Went down to Phuket yesterday.

I had to buy some stuff at the supercheap pharmacy and some parts for my car.

I rode down very early leaving home at 3.30am.

I rode all the way down to Nai Harn to visit a friend for breakfast and then once the peak hour traffic had subsided I headed back up into town to do business.

The traffic situation on all parts of the island would now appear a nightmare. The work at the top of the by pass road where it meets Thep Krassatri is a zoo.

I witnessed two accidents. One fatal, the other not. Both were women on motorbikes hit by a thai male driving a pick up. The first was because the guy was driving too fast in the rain and slid off the road killing a poor lady in his way.

The second was at a set of traffic lights. I was waiting in a group of other bikes at the lights, a guy came up in a pick up truck in the right lane but with his blinker on to turn left. No one would move as we were in the correct lane and waiting for our green light. He honked twice and then revved up and smashed a middle aged woman off her bike next to me. She gathered herself from the bitumen, righted the bike and put it on its side stand, then walked over and started smashing on the drivers window. The lights changed and I took off for dear life before the bullets started flying.

Did I mention how glad I am to have moved out of Phuket for good.

Went down to Phuket yesterday.

I had to buy some stuff at the supercheap pharmacy and some parts for my car.

I rode down very early leaving home at 3.30am.

I rode all the way down to Nai Harn to visit a friend for breakfast and then once the peak hour traffic had subsided I headed back up into town to do business.

The traffic situation on all parts of the island would now appear a nightmare. The work at the top of the by pass road where it meets Thep Krassatri is a zoo.

I witnessed two accidents. One fatal, the other not. Both were women on motorbikes hit by a thai male driving a pick up. The first was because the guy was driving too fast in the rain and slid off the road killing a poor lady in his way.

The second was at a set of traffic lights. I was waiting in a group of other bikes at the lights, a guy came up in a pick up truck in the right lane but with his blinker on to turn left. No one would move as we were in the correct lane and waiting for our green light. He honked twice and then revved up and smashed a middle aged woman off her bike next to me. She gathered herself from the bitumen, righted the bike and put it on its side stand, then walked over and started smashing on the drivers window. The lights changed and I took off for dear life before the bullets started flying.

Did I mention how glad I am to have moved out of Phuket for good.

"Did I mention how glad I am to have moved out of Phuket for good." - well, it appears, you haven't quite left "for good." biggrin.png

The driver sounds like he was on ice.

Nothing like a pair of eyes.......

http://www.lookr.com/lookout/1404298415#action-play-day

Am I correct?

I saw only 3 farangs in the bar, all known to each other, for around 2 hours, over a 24 hour period.

Well would not surprise me as it's the bar at the end of soi Croc/Ladyboy, which has been in shutdown mode for at least last 6 months. Basically nearly everything in front of this bar was closed down (contracts expired) so they had zero chance of walking traffic being at the end of a empty dark soi. Handfull of regulars with that working against them is good indicator how strong they are

If you knew the bar you would actually know it is one of the most popular bars for regular northen european visitors on Bangla and has been for a long time.

It is now closed with the rest of the soi until mid Nov, when they think soi rebuild should be complete (good luck with that timescale)