Patong is dead.

hansgruber

Quote Bulldozer Dawn: "The focus of this thread is Patong is dead. We have had a lot of commentary on Bangla. But Bangla doth not maketh Patong. Sure it is the heart, but if Patong is going bust then the canar(ies) in the coal mine will be the outlying businesses in the outlying spots of Patong. People with leases in Bangla have deeeep pockets. Not so with the punters (thai and farang) on the fringes. I would like to see a few more reports about the health of these quieter bars, massage shops, and other businesses".

AND: "I will float a theory here, shoot it down if you can. Chinese mass tourists come to Phuket because they do not have access to Google back home. If they could they would google and find endless reports of the scams, crime, violence and traffic deaths on Phuket...and not book a trip. The media blackout in China is currently a god send for Phuket. Package tourists are fed BS and probably given brochures containing 20 year old photos of the Phuket and its beaches".

Just a point, I think the comment as regards the bar owners (people with leases) in Bangla having deep pockets is probably a thing of the past as I know many are struggling to even pay the rent.

Anyway as regards other areas outside of Bangla, here are a few examples to consider: –

As mentioned before, the beauty salon in Sainamyen owned by a Thai lady friend of mine is struggling badly and has been probably for the past two years. Her sister who owns a laundry in Soi Bowling is not faring much better.

There is a small hotel opposite Soi Eden, which has had no more than about four rooms occupied at any one time over the past 18 months, and indeed a small bar opposite has been sold because it had no customers.

The owner of the Deli built a small restaurant area next to it and has been unable to lease that out for about 18 months or more, and he also has a block of apartments nearby which have been for sale for over three years, but no luck in selling them.

At the south end of Nanai Road, on the right, heading south past Sunhill, there is a small Soi with assorted shops in it, including a couple of massage parlours and a restaurant and they are all empty now. You may have also seen just past it on the left-hand side the remnants of some sort of building which has been at a standstill for a couple of years? Unfinished, and what it was going to be, who knows.

And in no particular order...............new empty shophouses for lease in Soi Nanai 8; an unfinished building at the end of the new Middle Road just before it joins Soi Tan, another site just along the way, with just the basic foundations on it for sale; the large hotel in the same road, already mentioned by other folk, for lease; empty space/shops in the newly built "walking street area" in Soi Prachanukhro; the two restaurants (one an Italian) at the south end of Nanai which have also closed just recently; two small bars on the corner of Nanai 8 and Nanai, now closed............... I could go on with quite a few more small shops which have closed, as well as a few restaurants, however it must be plain for just about all to see that Patong is struggling and I can only see it getting worse.

Your second point about the Chinese not being able to use Google to see the "real Patong" is something I had never thought about and you may well be right, that and of course the fact that they can get cheap flights and cheap accommodation, which is actually attracting the low-end Chinese, so not a lot of good to businesses here struggling to succeed.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to enlighten you a little bit. Google is accessible in China as is TripAdvisor. They also have search engines like Baidu and Soso.com that are bigger than Google in China.

A friend of mine has a travel agency here that handles incentives from China and they are spending good money, and yes, not in Patong.

The focus of this thread is Patong is dead. We have had a lot of commentary on Bangla. But Bangla doth not maketh Patong. Sure it is the heart, but if Patong is going bust then the canar(ies) in the coal mine will be the outlying businesses in the outlying spots of Patong. People with leases in Bangla have deeeep pockets. Not so with the punters (thai and farang) on the fringes. I would like to see a few more reports about the health of these quieter bars, massage shops, and other businesses.

For sure I see the Nanai Road area dying, especially the further south end. I drive Nanai every day and I see places closing, and no-one picking up the open lease.

Must admit today I was astonished to see a Chinese couple having a coke and snack about 10.30 at the old Offshore Bar on the corner of Nanai and Nanai 2. Maybe that really is the new market ...

Yeah good point. No doubt in time the mainland chinese market will mature and we will see FITs such as chinese backpackers and even flashpackers. But will that sophistication of the Chinese source market occur fast enough to save fringe businesses in Patong. My guess is no. Also another counter arguement is that if the Chinese market becomes savy enough to have free independent travellers, who can research and book there own deals. Why on earth would then come to Phuket. My guess here is that your example couple was just some "dare devils" who choose to sneak away from their tourgroup for a few hours.

I will float a theory here, shoot it down if you can. Chinese mass tourists come to Phuket because they do not have access to Google back home. If they could they would google and find endless reports of the scams, crime, violence and traffic deaths on Phuket...and not book a trip. The media blackout in China is currently a god send for Phuket. Package tourists are fed BS and probably given brochures containing 20 year old photos of the Phuket and its beaches.

<snip>

At the south end of Nanai Road, on the right, heading south past Sunhill, there is a small Soi with assorted shops in it, including a couple of massage parlours and a restaurant and they are all empty now. You may have also seen just past it on the left-hand side the remnants of some sort of building which has been at a standstill for a couple of years? Unfinished, and what it was going to be, who knows.

<snip>

two small bars on the corner of Nanai 8 and Nanai, now closed...............

I happen to know something about those properties as it's my neck of the wood.

The small soi with the assorted shops is owned by a well to do local Thai business family. They have many businesses about Patong and struggle to find good shop managers. That groupu of shops failed due to poor management, and a very poor location. The family can afford to leave the shops empty. Not much money spent building them.

The developers of the unfinishd building quickly ran out of money as they never budgeted for the very large retaining wall that was demanded by the planning office. The project was closed down until they built the wall, which they did, and then had no more money to continue the project ... bankrupt.

The 2 bars on the corner of Nanai and Nanai 8. We actually look at buying (freehold) that building before the actual build phase (off plan), talked to the land owner and developer. We decided not to buy because of the poor build standard vs the price. But I have talked to the original owners of the 2 shophouses. They seemed to have done well renting out the property, but every business leasing failed within a year or so. Back then it was a poor location, but now with the major development on Nanai 8 they might have a chance ... of wait now too many bars/restaurants in Nanai 8.

There was a member here who 'owned' the Lemon Grass Massage place on Nanai 8, think he gave up the lease a year or so ago. Maybe he can chime in ...

Edited by LivinginKata

The focus of this thread is Patong is dead. We have had a lot of commentary on Bangla. But Bangla doth not maketh Patong. Sure it is the heart, but if Patong is going bust then the canar(ies) in the coal mine will be the outlying businesses in the outlying spots of Patong. People with leases in Bangla have deeeep pockets. Not so with the punters (thai and farang) on the fringes. I would like to see a few more reports about the health of these quieter bars, massage shops, and other businesses.

For sure I see the Nanai Road area dying, especially the further south end. I drive Nanai every day and I see places closing, and no-one picking up the open lease.

Must admit today I was astonished to see a Chinese couple having a coke and snack about 10.30 at the old Offshore Bar on the corner of Nanai and Nanai 2. Maybe that really is the new market ...

Yeah good point. No doubt in time the mainland chinese market will mature and we will see FITs such as chinese backpackers and even flashpackers. But will that sophistication of the Chinese source market occur fast enough to save fringe businesses in Patong. My guess is no. Also another counter arguement is that if the Chinese market becomes savy enough to have free independent travellers, who can research and book there own deals. Why on earth would then come to Phuket. My guess here is that your example couple was just some "dare devils" who choose to sneak away from their tourgroup for a few hours.

I will float a theory here, shoot it down if you can. Chinese mass tourists come to Phuket because they do not have access to Google back home. If they could they would google and find endless reports of the scams, crime, violence and traffic deaths on Phuket...and not book a trip. The media blackout in China is currently a god send for Phuket. Package tourists are fed BS and probably given brochures containing 20 year old photos of the Phuket and its beaches.

Common guys, everybody knows what a package tour is and what kind of clients you get with that. In the western world, if you have a English, German or whatever, if they book a package then they don't spend anything else, or at least not much because they don't have the resources to spend much more than their booked package. One exception however, when the Chinese book a package tour to Europe, they spend on average 3k Euros per trip to buy goods, especially in Paris and don't want to spent too much on room etc..

As Simon mentioned in one of his posts, the Chinese spending money on seaweed, mattresses or whatever, but not on entertainment. Oops its getting a bit off subject.

Actually that is true. Most if not all these big Chinese trips are sponsored and paid by the Chinese government.

i'm not going to quote all of the above but on the subject of Chinese tourists, because of the massive population imbalance there, most men can't get laid. i can see Chinese men getting more interested in Thailand as they discover one of its main industries. Already happening in BKK.

i'm not going to quote all of the above but on the subject of Chinese tourists, because of the massive population imbalance there, most men can't get laid. i can see Chinese men getting more interested in Thailand as they discover one of its main industries. Already happening in BKK.

So a 69 could be on the menu soon.?

<snip>

The small soi with the assorted shops is owned by a well to do local Thai business family. They have many businesses about Patong and struggle to find good shop managers. That groupu of shops failed due to poor management, and a very poor location. The family can afford to leave the shops empty. Not much money spent building them.

The developers of the unfinishd building quickly ran out of money as they never budgeted for the very large retaining wall that was demanded by the planning office. The project was closed down until they built the wall, which they did, and then had no more money to continue the project ... bankrupt.

The 2 bars on the corner of Nanai and Nanai 8. We actually look at buying (freehold) that building before the actual build phase (off plan), talked to the land owner and developer. We decided not to buy because of the poor build standard vs the price. But I have talked to the original owners of the 2 shophouses. They seemed to have done well renting out the property, but every business leasing failed within a year or so. Back then it was a poor location, but now with the major development on Nanai 8 they might have a chance ... of wait now too many bars/restaurants in Nanai 8.

<snip>

Strangely enough, the shops at the southern end of Sai Kor all seem to be doing well. I don't see much of anything closed, or for rent. Maybe the difference is that these are businesses that cater mostly to local Thais, although occasionally farangs do venture into the noodle shops. I'm not sure if the ownership of those shophouses has changed over time, but about 8 years ago we rented one for a family member, and it appeared that the building was owned by the people that own the TonSai bungalows at the very southern end of Nanai.

LiK - that small soi off Nanai that's been mentioned - is that owned by the same people that own TonSai, or is it a different family?

That building at the corner of Nanai and Soi 8 is also a guest house (or 2), so it appears that not only the bar/restaurants have closed, but also the guesthous(es) on the upper floors. Funnily enough, one is named something like "No Problemmes", which couldn't be further from the truth.

<snip>

<snip>

There was a member here who 'owned' the Lemon Grass Massage place on Nanai 8, think he gave up the lease a year or so ago. Maybe he can chime in ...

Thanks for the information LIK, always good to know what's going on, and I have to agree with your comment about the small group of shops being in a very poor location, because no matter how good the management was, shops would always struggle in that location.

Same goes for the two scungy looking bars I spoke about, small holes in the wall, no parking space, on a bend at the bottom of a dangerous stretch of road...........any wonder they have closed.

I think I met the TV member who part owned Sweet Lemongrass along with his lady, Aoy, who still manages the place and seems to be doing well at it although she has said the visitor numbers had dropped quite markedly. It is one of those places which tourists seem to seek out because it is well-regarded on Google and TripAdvisor, but again with "quality" tourist numbers down, it is only to be expected that they are seeing quite times, however I hope it survives because it is simply one of the best bone fide massage places around.

Quote DrDave: "We started the evening at the Higher restaurant you mentioned. On our first visit there a few months ago, the place was empty, and I was worried they wouldn't be able to continue. Last night, it was packed - we hit it at just the right time, and were lucky to get one of the best tables. I really recommend you try it - a very good and diverse menu with very reasonable prices and good service".

Well on your recommendation, I did try it, along with a mate of mine and it was extremely good.

What surprised me the most was the space and the layout, a really huge place with the tables set far enough apart for it to feel very comfortable indeed. As for the food, well it was excellent as was the service and I really can't fault the place, in fact it was one of the best dining experiences I've had for a long while.

The head chef is a very experienced Filipino/Kiwi who once ran a top restaurant in Auckland, located in the Hyatt Hotel, and his menu is varied enough to be interesting as regards selection, and very well produced and extremely tasty in delivery.

Out on the town after that, however was unfortunately caught up in that heavy rain but that did not stop me enjoying myself with the owners of Island Bar plus a few of his regulars and also with the Filipino band.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by xylophone

I believe the girls refer to that customer base as a 1-2-3:

1 minute

2 inches

3 thousand Baht.

Just to enlighten you a little bit. Google is accessible in China as is TripAdvisor. They also have search engines like Baidu and Soso.com that are bigger than Google in China.

A friend of mine has a travel agency here that handles incentives from China and they are spending good money, and yes, not in Patong.

I was just visiting one of my good friends to have dinner. He has a Chinese wife who is currently visiting her parents in Bejing. When I arrived my mate was talking to her on Skype. I asked her to type www.google.com in to her browser and tell me what happened. She was directed to a chinese government page.

I was just visiting one of my good friends to have dinner. He has a Chinese wife who is currently visiting her parents in Bejing. When I arrived my mate was talking to her on Skype. I asked her to type www.google.com in to her browser and tell me what happened. She was directed to a chinese government page.

Everyone and their brother in China uses proxies and vpn's to get around the great firewall.

I flew into HKT from DMG yesterday. About half the passengers were Thai based on my guess of the flight attendants speaking to them. Did not previously book a room, was able to negotiate a decent 3 star down to 500 baht - dearth of occupancy. As others reported, very low numbers in Bangla bars, side sois even less. Soi Freedom, Soi Croc maybe a dozen people, virtually all bars from midway through the back closed. Crossing rat-u-thit surprisingly easy.

On Bangla, raton of tourists:touts nearly 1:1. In one bar I was in ratio of workers to customers was 2:1. By contrast, was on Sukomvit the night before and were very lively. Just my observations.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

And FWIW, I don't really like Patong much anymore. Surely, I 'm not somebody who has been coming here for 20 years. It's not about the beach loungers. It just seems like many of the Thai people aren't very friendly. I had a girl ask for a LD 8 times last night. People can't be bothered to look up from their phones. That famous smile is gone. Get out of Patong and it is better. Get away from Phuket, and it is much better. Not asking people to worship me, just pay attention and be nice - I'm on vacation, I will happily drop some money for a good, fun experience.

RE lemon grass 'owner'..i believe he is in hospital back in the UK after having a scooter accident back 'home'. He is ok but somewhat banged up

<snip>

<snip>

RE lemon grass 'owner'..i believe he is in hospital back in the UK after having a scooter accident back 'home'. He is ok but somewhat banged up

I think his user name is britpop

update /// did a search and yes I'm sure he is the Sweet Lemongrass guy

Edited by LivinginKata

Everyone and their brother in China uses proxies and vpn's to get around the great firewall.

Maybe we should look at this issue from another perspective. How many of the zero dollar Chinese bus tourists have access to their own computer? And how many rely upon third party marketing information, such as brochures, supplied by Chinese travel agents and touts?

And FWIW, I don't really like Patong much anymore. Surely, I 'm not somebody who has been coming here for 20 years. It's not about the beach loungers. It just seems like many of the Thai people aren't very friendly. I had a girl ask for a LD 8 times last night. People can't be bothered to look up from their phones. That famous smile is gone. Get out of Patong and it is better. Get away from Phuket, and it is much better. Not asking people to worship me, just pay attention and be nice - I'm on vacation, I will happily drop some money for a good, fun experience.

She is running a business with multiple income streams. She monitors her business via her phone. Why should she waste time on you if you do not purchase a drink. She is better off texting to her paying customers over the phone, or fishing for a new one via a dating website or social media.

Why would a prostitute be nice to you if she is not being paid?

Try sitting in a coffee shop and she how the owner treats you after she asks you if you want a coffee and on 8 occassions you say no thank you.

I think saying no the first time should be enough. But you misread, say I'm at a restaurant waiting for my check. You defense is I should be ignored because the waitress is running multiple income streams.

A restaurant does not sell lady drinks.

A waitress at a restaurant does not ask you 8 times for a lady drink.

Don't post here and moan that a prostitute asked you for money.

If you want a Thai girl to smile and talk to you free of charge, try dating one.

And here is a tip for free. Don't look for your new girl friend in Patong.

She is running a business with multiple income streams. She monitors her business via her phone. Why should she waste time on you if you do not purchase a drink. She is better off texting to her paying customers over the phone, or fishing for a new one via a dating website or social media.

Try sitting in a coffee shop and she how the owner treats you after she asks you if you want a coffee and on 8 occassions you say no thank you.

I have to agree with jamie obda, this as he did buy a drink for himself and one for the lady he was speaking to and there is absolutely no need for him to buy drinks for other girls if indeed he is not interacting with them, or doesn't want to.

It really pisses me off when girls that you have never spoken to or even looked at in a bar because you are either busy with your mates or talking to another girl, come over and ask for a drink, and this would be even more galling if they continued asking.

In one particular bar which is still around, whenever I bought one of the girls a drink, the mama used to add one for herself, and then even got the barman asking for a drink when he delivered the drinks to you. I asked him if he knew me or my name, and he said no, so I asked him why I should buy him a drink...........don't go there any more.

I have to agree with jamie obda, this as he did buy a drink for himself and one for the lady he was speaking to and there is absolutely no need for him to buy drinks for other girls if indeed he is not interacting with them, or doesn't want to.

It really pisses me off when girls that you have never spoken to or even looked at in a bar because you are either busy with your mates or talking to another girl, come over and ask for a drink, and this would be even more galling if they continued asking.

In one particular bar which is still around, whenever I bought one of the girls a drink, the mama used to add one for herself, and then even got the barman asking for a drink when he delivered the drinks to you. I asked him if he knew me or my name, and he said no, so I asked him why I should buy him a drink...........don't go there any more.

Don't sit in a prostitute bar and then complain when you are exposed to sales and marketing prompts. These girls have a business to run, and they are in partnership with the owner.

What I don't get about you blokes moaning about lady drinks is this.

If you don't want to be hassled for lady drinks, GO TO THE BAR WITH YOUR OWN GIRL. That's right, meet a nice Thai girl, who isn't a prostitute, date her, and then take her to a bar. None of the girls there will ask you for a lady drink.

But guess what, a nice Thai girl will not be seen dead in a beer bar.

So quit moaning. You guys go to beer bars for one of more of the followinging reasons:

• You like being in a bar filled with prostitutes
  • You don't have the personality, appearance, or language skills to meet a nice Thai girl
  • You are old
  • You are fat
  • You are an alcoholic
  • You are a slob
  • You want to have sex with a Thai girl but you don't have the time to date one because you are just here on holidays or on rotation
  • You are too cheap, scared, or dysfunctional to have a real relationship with a nice Thai girl
  • You don't want to get ripped off by a tuk tuk or taxi to go into Phuket Town
  • You don't have you own transport
  • You don't trust yourself to stay sober if you use your own transport
  • You have your own transport, can stay sober, but haven't got a clue how to navigate Phuket Town

If jamie obda detests requests for lady drinks why doesn't he go to one of the rockin' bars or nightclubs in Phuket Town? They are filled with gorgeous girls who work in the banks, malls, and other businesses in town. That's right, because of one or more of the reasons I listed above.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

Hold on a sec.

Firstly, the bar is supposed to give a good time to their customers. Being hassled for drinks is not "fun" for the customer.

Secondly, it never used to be like that. It really was fun. Now this is pure rudeness and greed.

You can try and defend the indefensible, but, you are still wrong.

Hold on a sec.

Firstly, the bar is supposed to give a good time to their customers. Being hassled for drinks is not "fun" for the customer.

Secondly, it never used to be like that. It really was fun. Now this is pure rudeness and greed.

You can try and defend the indefensible, but, you are still wrong.

What was fun...the prositutes gave you more of their attention for free?

Well hellooooo and welcome to the new reality. Prostitues in Phuket now have smartphones.

In days gone by you were a big fish in their very very small pond.

Nowadays bar girls fish GLOBALLY.

If you want to have FUN in a bar without being hassled for lady drinks. Go to a bar that isn't filled with prostitutes. Easy solution Huh?

There are still loads of bars with hookers where they don't act like that. Loads.

And it's still fun as they value customers. These are the bars that will survive.

Bars that p1ss off customers, won't. Simple innit?

Ever heard the saying it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar?

Most of the smarter hookers (they are in the "service" industry) know that.

Edited by KarenBravo

There are still loads of bars with hookers where they don't act like that. Loads.

And it's still fun as they value customers. These are the bars that will survive.

Bars that p1ss off customers, won't. Simple innit?

Ever heard the saying it's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar?

Most of the smarter hookers (they are in the "service" industry) know that.

If a hooker needs your business she will give you attention. If she doesn't she won't. Simple innit?

Old, fat, ugly, broke hookers will chat with you for free. Desirable ones will not. Simple innit?

"smarter hookers" I will take that as meaning ugly, old, been around the block hookers. Simple innit?

Before bargirls had smartphones the very fact that you were there in her bar accounted for everything.

Now it accounts for NOTHING.

Oh...booo...hooo.... Years ago even the very young and pretty bargirls would tell me how handsome I was. I would buy them an 80 baht drink and I was king of the world...Booo...hooo...sob..sob.... But now it is as if they don't even acknowledge me...It is not fun anymore.........sniff...sniff

I am going to move to Cambodia....sniff...because...the girls are poorer there and not all of them have a smartphone....sniff

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn