Prayut govt 'may stay on longer'

Lite Beer

What was the alternative to the coup....... Civil War. Which scenario do you prefer?

A democratic election with the military helping to protect voters and venues a reasonable alternative perhaps?

As elections with full scale vote buying are worthless I assume that you agree that the military prevents that as well.

So after the election the military would put 75% of the elected politicians into jail, right?

And than?

Or we just have another fake elections with the richest buy themself into power.

Vote buying by all sides may well be removed come the promised "elections" . It's an odds on certainty that they will be rigged in such a way that the only result will be the one set up by the "reforms" and the wealthy uniforms and their backers.

It will be some years before there are genuine elections in Thailand unless there another scenario occurs.

• Like 1

What was the alternative to the coup....... Civil War. Which scenario do you prefer?

A democratic election with the military helping to protect voters and venues a reasonable alternative perhaps?

As elections with full scale vote buying are worthless I assume that you agree that the military prevents that as well.

So after the election the military would put 75% of the elected politicians into jail, right?

And than?

Or we just have another fake elections with the richest buy themself into power.

Vote buying by all sides may well be removed come the promised "elections" . It's an odds on certainty that they will be rigged in such a way that the only result will be the one set up by the "reforms" and the wealthy uniforms and their backers.

It will be some years before there are genuine elections in Thailand unless there another scenario occurs.

The other scenario could be exactly what the coup was all about so as to avoid the flak & potential power grabbing from all & sundry.

The subject is they "May stay longer" But then again they "May not".

The usual bashers have taken it as "They will" with the usual twist.

The sooner the country returns to democratic elections the better, however they must be fair in that all parties must be able to campaign in every electorate without fear of threats or intimidation.

Voters must be free of threats, bribery or intimidation by any party.

Those with a criminal history, on bail for criminal charges or who have ever been banned from politics for fraud or corruption must are not allowed to stand as a candidate for a constituency or be on a party list.

Checks and balances must be in place with serious penalties for corruption and provision made so the checks and balances can not be eroded as they have in the past.

"Government for the people by the people"........Not "Government for the politicians by the politicians".

• Like 2

I could be totally off in my thinking (it wouldn't be the first time), but in some ways I think a Civil War would have been better than the continual worthless coups. Yes, it would be bloody, there would be a lot of deaths, but when it finally ended, perhaps people would have been able to step back and see what their "iron clad beliefs" had finally brought them to.

Perhaps then people could actually, truly reflect on their problems and realize that the past was not the way to go, and would finally join together to look for, and word towards, a better future for all. It's clear that the constant "elections-coup-elections-coup" cycle isn't working, and never has, and what is needed is a total washing of the system, and a totally new start.

As I said, this is just my opinion, and I'm not always right (even though I tell my wife that I am)

A democratic election with a new party running with Prayut..... the best alternative perhaps?

The man who removed democracy?

You must be talking about Mr Thaksin...

A democratic election with a new party running with Prayut..... the best alternative perhaps?

The man who removed democracy?

You must be talking about Mr Thaksin...

No matter who rules, it was never about the people, and the rich on either side abuse the poor as they please.

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Funny, but some of the posters who are all over this story like a cheap suit are well known for being Thai bashers and usually disregard anything a Thai comes out with, unless it suits their agenda.

This guy, Thitinan Pongsudhirak said: "This interim period could be longer - longer than most of us might think."................and you have picked it up and run with it, like a dog with a lamb chop. clap2.gif

Well I'm not a Thai basher, and I don't have any agenda as there is no benefit to me who is in government, but I do have an opinion and voice them as many here do.

So do you think this political science academic is right or wrong or dose he have an agenda?

Do you think he will be "invited" to have a little talk with the powers that be for having dared to voice his opinion? and are these "attitude adjustments" all good in your home country?

Well if you are not a Thai basher and don't have an anti-government agenda then my comment obviously had nothing to do with you. And I do respect your opinion, whether or not I agree with it.

I don't know much about this academic Thitinan Pongsudhirak, except he seems to have very good credentials, and I merely commented on the reaction his opinion received from "some" posters.

I wonder what the reaction had have been if he said he gave full support to the military and that they were doing a good job. The same posters would have castigated him.

No, I don't think he will be invited in for a chat, he did not really say anything wrong and this stupid idea that anyone who dares to voice their opinion is marched into the gulag at gunpoint for brainwashing is just crap, propaganda created by the anti-junta crowd.

My home country does not use attitude adjustments, not that I know of. But then again the Military has never had to step in to sort out a mess like the one created by the Shinawatras either.

Ok cool,

So do you think this "attitude adjustments" a pleasant chat over a nice chamomile tea, and a please if you would be so kind request? "just propaganda created by the anti-junta crowd?" I'd like to ask you just what do you think happens in these meetings?

• Like 2

You don't need to be Einstein to work out that the timeline for reforms and the constitution that P.M. Prayuth - O set out was far short of the mark and this has already been discussed , it depends whether the people understand that to get it right it would take up to 3 years, otherwise you end up with a hastily finished Constitution much like the Thaksin design 2004 , the ball is in Prayuth - O court., I personally would like to see the finished product once and for all done correct , however my modelling would be far different to the present administration's proposals.coffee1.gif

I agree and my first model would be taken from the article above.

" MPs and Parliament must be made accountable and Parliament's decisions must be inclusive."

It's great having Democratic Elections, but unless people elect MP's who are there for the good of Thailand, not for the good of themselves or a criminal in Dubai, then democratic elections are a waste of time.

• Like 2

Funny, but some of the posters who are all over this story like a cheap suit are well known for being Thai bashers and usually disregard anything a Thai comes out with, unless it suits their agenda.

This guy, Thitinan Pongsudhirak said: "This interim period could be longer - longer than most of us might think."................and you have picked it up and run with it, like a dog with a lamb chop. clap2.gif

Well I'm not a Thai basher, and I don't have any agenda as there is no benefit to me who is in government, but I do have an opinion and voice them as many here do.

So do you think this political science academic is right or wrong or dose he have an agenda?

Do you think he will be "invited" to have a little talk with the powers that be for having dared to voice his opinion? and are these "attitude adjustments" all good in your home country?

Well if you are not a Thai basher and don't have an anti-government agenda then my comment obviously had nothing to do with you. And I do respect your opinion, whether or not I agree with it.

I don't know much about this academic Thitinan Pongsudhirak, except he seems to have very good credentials, and I merely commented on the reaction his opinion received from "some" posters.

I wonder what the reaction had have been if he said he gave full support to the military and that they were doing a good job. The same posters would have castigated him.

No, I don't think he will be invited in for a chat, he did not really say anything wrong and this stupid idea that anyone who dares to voice their opinion is marched into the gulag at gunpoint for brainwashing is just crap, propaganda created by the anti-junta crowd.

My home country does not use attitude adjustments, not that I know of. But then again the Military has never had to step in to sort out a mess like the one created by the Shinawatras either.

Ok cool,

So do you think this "attitude adjustments" a pleasant chat over a nice chamomile tea, and a please if you would be so kind request? "just propaganda created by the anti-junta crowd?" I'd like to ask you just what do you think happens in these meetings?

Just a slap on the wrist, "nasty nasty boy, never ever do it again, and never ever get caught again."

Case closed and the criminal leaves with a smile on his face,.... Attitude adjusted, returned happiness Thailand.

I could be totally off in my thinking (it wouldn't be the first time), but in some ways I think a Civil War would have been better than the continual worthless coups. Yes, it would be bloody, there would be a lot of deaths, but when it finally ended, perhaps people would have been able to step back and see what their "iron clad beliefs" had finally brought them to.

Perhaps then people could actually, truly reflect on their problems and realize that the past was not the way to go, and would finally join together to look for, and word towards, a better future for all. It's clear that the constant "elections-coup-elections-coup" cycle isn't working, and never has, and what is needed is a total washing of the system, and a totally new start.

As I said, this is just my opinion, and I'm not always right (even though I tell my wife that I am)

You are deranged.

A civil war would have been better for Thailand in the long run

A coup is just repeating the past as IMO nothing will change if and when they hold "Thai Style Democratic Elections"

They served their purpose in England and America, but at considerable cost.

And that cost is one that I am sure that few here are wanting to pay, rightly so.

However every time the old guard grab back power it becomes ever more likely. Sooner or later the mismatch between the desire of the establishment to maintain the status quo ( and their right to rule) and the repeatedly expressed wishes of the electorate will lead to a violent conflict.

As I have said before, he will be in power at least three to five years,

every thinking person here knows that. The actual time period will be

until a certain event happens. Then at that time the military can

consolidate their power position, then step back.

What a long series of sad choices Thailand has had for a government.

Seems to be either corrupt beyond belief civilian governments that

bleed away the wealth of the Thai people. Or military junta that seem

to government poorly to say the least. There is a saying there every

country has EXACTLY the form of government they deserve, and

sadly I believe that to be the case in Thailand....

A coup is just repeating the past as IMO nothing will change if and when they hold "Thai Style Democratic Elections"

And that cost is one that I am sure that few here are wanting to pay, rightly so.

However every time the old guard grab back power it becomes ever more likely. Sooner or later the mismatch between the desire of the establishment to maintain the status quo ( and their right to rule) and the repeatedly expressed wishes of the electorate will lead to a violent conflict.

You do know who the old guard is, right ?

I'm sure most of us do but it cannot be discussed here and that has been made clear so I hope you are not 'tempting' us to get a ban. Let it be until, if ever, freedom of speech is a basic right here.

a prayer for Sunday

"Dear Lord lead me not into temptation by junta lovers and hence into a ban Amen"

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

I'm sure most of us do but it cannot be discussed here and that has been made clear so I hope you are not 'tempting' us to get a ban. Let it be until, if ever, freedom of speech is a basic right here.

a prayer for Sunday

"Dear Lord lead me not into temptation by junta lovers and hence into a ban Amen"

"The Government moveth in mysterious ways, their wonders to perform."

• Like 1

It seems to me that the 'quick fix' of a Coup is not heading where it is supposed to be heading.

We have heard a lot about what the Junta will do, yet we seem to see little evidence of it in reality. Yes, there is some tinkering here and there, but nothing really substantial and they have had time to make some substantial changes.

Thieves, muggers, murderers still get away with light sentences or fines.

Scammers are still getting away with making a lot of money from tourists and others.

There are protests from the farmers, though much of this seems to be kept quiet.

Much of the RTP still seems to do very little for the people whom they are supposed to serve and to protect. It seems there is still so little honesty within the RTP too.

Yet they say they envisage the army to be in charge for much longer than to be expected. To do what exactly? More of nothing?

I had hoped the General and his cohorts would have really been seen to be making more substantial changes.

Hang on a minute!

The military have only had 19 coups so far, what do you expect, miracles?

• Like 1

"he said it was clear that the military was trying to turn back the clock on politics."

"In terms of its [the military] culture, it is retrograde."

"Their culture is essentially retro in time ..." he said.

"The Army is not set up to rule in the globalised 21st century."

thumbsup.gif

Yet;

"The conservative middle class eventually turned to the military" blink.png

a prayer for Sunday

This guy is the patsy, brainwashed and gullible, faithful to his masters but in the end if he doesn't pull this off he'll be toast,

The old money families will find another one to take his place.

The bottom line is that the gravy train must continue.

When western money began arriving in Thailand, back in the day, they got the first concessions.

That was the way it was always done, those families closest to the big Cahuna got the money.

Nothing has really changed, only now, with education, the internet and facebook the people are waking up.

It's a lot more difficult to keep the status quo intact.

So, the military, has to keep order, keep the status quo intact.

Meanwhile, the spoiled brats, rich beyond imagination enjoy a life most Thais don't even know exists.

Check out the private jets parked at Bangkok airport.

Check out the names of the biggest shareholders of Thai companies.

There are two societies here in Thailand, and the old money has no intention of those two ever becoming one.

Quote:

Like the military, the civil service after 1932 was still an aristocratic institution. The civil service continued to be an elite system. Approximately 74% of the special-grade officers, the top seventh through eleventh grades, were from official and business families that accounted for only 10% of the national population. Politics in Thailand after World War II was a matter of the struggle for dominance among three groups: the military, the parliament and elite aristocracy group, and the smaller but more prestigious traditionalists and royalists.

• Like 1

"The current coup did not fulfil the aspiration of the People's Democratic Reform Committee but it fulfilled the aspiration of the military elites," he said."

Hope his schedule includes a little visit to adjustment center before heading back to Uni....

"If the Lord had not meant them to be sheared, he would not have made them sheep" Eli Wallach as Calvera, head banditto in Magnificent Seven

Coming soon,... Book it....

J-suckers vs Election collectionists,....

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha's government may stay in power longer than most people expect, a leading scholar has predicted.

This comes as a surprise to no one.

Anyone that did not see this coming had blinders on. Your looking at the flavor of the decade to come or more.