Pictures from my simple mind

MJP

We began with only slate and chalk, although Wales has yet to catch up. As technology advanced we had the typewriter then the ZX Spectrum and back and forth digital tennis and it was good.

Only a decade later and a small man from California with a basin haircut and suspicious style in eye wear brought us the 'Word' and the 'Excel'. Yet he did teach us to spell. Incorrectly if you speak the Queen's English.

Such great advancements enabled us to churn out reams of text. Paragraph upon paragraph, bullet point after bullet point . . . yet still we were none the wiser.

I've given up with words when attempting to explain 'things'. I don't much enjoy communicating with many people at the best of times and have, of late, resigned myself to pointing and making barnyard grunting noises, with the occasional deafening roar.

16227473098_4337d52263_b.jpg

Google then brought to us the SketchUp and it was very easy and it was free . . .

16182656580_d2cae1c5df_b.jpg

. . . and we could make pictures from our minds eye . . .

16228426630_5b13a02dff_b.jpg

. . . without having to fork out for SolidWorks and a new brain replete with triple digit IQ . . .

16054574707_c5b99a3b59_b.jpg

http://www.sketchup.com/

Have a go. You can be as daft as rocks, yet churn out what's on your mind . . . easy!

16413353541_36c6472369_b.jpg

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

I tried that sketch up to make a 3d design model.

Ended up reverting back to the good old pencil, rule and eraser.

Guess I must be dafter than rocks. facepalm.gif

Give it another go and persevere. Once cracked it's like making a cuppa. Like driving a car. You don't even look for the tools and sub-menus in the end, it just flows.

I'm going on a SolidWorks training course on Thursday. The software is around £4k plus modules I think and I want to see if my brain is up to using the thing. 3D with animation, whole sites, like 50 acres a pop with all manner of detailed activities and processes is the aim. Also with automated 2D drawings off 3D models and Building Information Management tools.

Just been playing with Sketchup for the last hour, it does seem quite easy, still a few things I need to suss out though.

I seen people designing engines and stuff on solidworks (on TV), very capable program by the looks of it.

Must have a steep learning curve to get to that level though.