Residents complain about construction site in Phuket Old Town

webfact

Residents complain about construction site in Phuket Old Town
Nattapat Tuarob

1422853992_1-org.jpg
Plai Kasemwut is adamant that she wants her 4-storey building.

Phuket: -- A number of residents in Phuket̕s old town have complained to the Damrongtham Centre about a construction site in the area which has allegedly caused damage to nearby houses.

The complaint, which was discussed at a recent meeting between the developer and neighbouring property owners, was originally filed with the Damrongtham Centre on August 8, 2014, and refers to a construction site which is set to hold a 4-storey residence with 29 rooms.

Don Limnunthaphisit President of the Old Phuket Town Community told The Phuket News, “We don't have any personal grevance with the owner. But this is about how we can preserve the old town.

“You have to comprehend the old town context where the maximum number of floors was three. However, the Old Town Preservation Act says the height must not exceed 12 metres.

“That Act covers preserved buildings all across Thailand, but it doesn't work. You must look at the context of each area.

“Unfortunately, Phuket City Municipality haven't had the courage to launch a municipal law to cover the old town.

“Stop and think about it for a minute before you do anything that affects the old town,” he said.

He went on to say that the reason the Old Phuket Town Community asks for Sino-Colonial styled buildings is because that is the selling point of the old town.

He also stated that the contractor caused problems by removing stones from the original foundations of the building causing the building to crack, which he believes could cause floors to collapse.

“I don't have confidence in the owner of this project,” he said.

Mr Don also highlighted a problem with flooding saying that the constructors of the new building have used a submersible pump to take away water from the site. This pump also collects dirt and mud. The water is then drained into a rain channel.

“The owner said that they would take care of the problem, but now when it rains water flows into the houses.

“Everyone can say they will take care of it, I can say that too, but this is what she does. I wonder how her project has passed the EIA,” he said.

Nij Thongtan, a resident who lives close to the site said, “The owner said she sold her house [at another location] to build a new one for her mother, but why does she want to build it four-storey with 29 rooms? That doesn't make sense.

“How could the Municipality allow this project?

“She proposed the building to be residential, does she want her mother to live in all 29 rooms on all four floors?

“Many houses in the area have been here for decades, but she will build her 'house' which will block all the windflow.

“The contractor also took all the stones which were the foundations of the house. The houses in that area are attached, so if one house collapses others in the row will follow.

“Also, when they took out the stones, they used cement to fill the holes. It's not right because the stones were granite which are different in weight and density.

“During construction, my house was shaking. We made a complaint to the Municipality but they couldn't do anything,” she said.

Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosuthhirak, who chaired the meeting said, “Mayor Somjai must be aware of this.

“I think you have to consider it well if you want to build a four-floor building in the middle of the preserved old town where they have their patterns.

“The municipality must take deep care about this issue since it's very sensitive, and you have to check if they follow all the correct engineering procedures.”

Plai Kasemwut, the owner of the project said, “I will do my best about this project. I don't want to build three floors, it's not beautiful. Four floors will look gorgeous. I was born short, I always dreamed of something tall.”

Unfortunately, negotiations between all parties seemed to have failed as the owner is insistant on having the building with four floors. It appears that the only way the matter will be resolved is in court.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/residents-complain-about-construction-site-phuket-old-town-50840.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-02

obviously paid all the right people for it to get this far, some people just think that because they have money they can sh*t on the little people even if they are short themselves. Maybe she would be better off in a hobbit hole under the ground.

"I was born short, I always dreamed of something tall"................................sounds like something straight out of the Big Book of Silly Excuses!

he was meaning he was born short of brain - prpably !!
You realise he is a she?

Does this lady really believe anyone believes her Porkies? 29 rooms for her mom? Better to say, " I want to provide an income stream as well as a place to stay for my mom".

>>“Unfortunately, Phuket City Municipality haven't had the courage to launch a municipal law to cover the old town.

Translation-- Phuket City Municipality enjoys thick envelopes.