MERIDA Reacto 400 vs Scultura 400 comparison?

Ozgur

What are the major differences of these two bikes? They both have same group sets(shimano 105). I can notice only the frame types and rear brake positions. Well, I am new to this field so please excuse my inexperience :)

Is there any significant difference to a novice rider?

I looked up online but couldn't really see a comparison.

Thanks for your valuable information in advance..

Here are the links and pictures;

Reacto 400

http://www.merida.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/race/2015/reacto-400-2696.html

Scultura 400

http://2014.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/race/2015/scultura-400-2230.html

post-181825-0-64966100-1422889641_thumb.

post-181825-0-51317200-1422889644_thumb.

Reacto is their aero type frame, Scultura is their more traditional frame. Depending on what you want, the Scultura is probably a better all rounder and will have a more comfortable riding position.

If you're choosing between these, then go with the one you like the look of most.

Generally if you're going to be riding mostly on reasonably flat terrain with few gradients, you might get a benefit from an aero frame, especially once you start averaging speeds of 30kmh and above. The aero properties of the frame should mean you need less effort to maintain the same speed over a traditional style frame.

If you're going to be going up and down hills a lot, then the more traditional style of frame might be more suitable, generally they are lighter (although not always the case).

But the biggest factor is actually you, as the engine powering the bike.

Really it's down to what you like the look of and the type of riding you expect to do.

If choosing between these, I'd go with the Reacto, just because it looks fast ;-)

If I remember correctly, you can also get the Scultura in the Team Lampre Merida colour scheme for a pretty good price (around 30k THB I think), and in my opinion, looks better than the standard colourway.

Generally if you're going to be riding mostly on reasonably flat terrain with few gradients, you might get a benefit from an aero frame, especially once you start averaging speeds of 30kmh and above. The aero properties of the frame should mean you need less effort to maintain the same speed over a traditional style frame.

If you're going to be going up and down hills a lot, then the more traditional style of frame might be more suitable, generally they are lighter (although not always the case).

Really it's down to what you like the look of and the type of riding you expect to do.

If choosing between these, I'd go with the Reacto, just because it looks fast ;-)

If I remember correctly, you can also get the Scultura in the Team Lampre Merida colour scheme for a pretty good price (around 30k THB I think), and in my opinion, looks better than the standard colourway.

Thank you very much for your descriptive explanation. I checked the prices and scultura is 30k and reacto is 37k. So, I consider buying the Scultura mostly because of the price. Would it be mistake buying such bike as I am beginer and it will be my first bike?

I will mostly ride around my project and be on green lane sometimes.

H

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your descriptive explanation. I checked the prices and scultura is 30k and reacto is 37k. So, I consider buying the Scultura mostly because of the price. Would it be mistake buying such bike as I am beginer and it will be my first bike?

H

I don't know what green lane is, but the bike sounds good for street.

As beginner you might need a bit to get used to such a bike but it won't be a problem. I would start with normal pedals first and than go for good pedals and bike shoes that get locked onto the pedals. It makes a big difference.

And have a good trouser with this insert.

Important: the size of the frame, they should measure your legs and determine the frame size. If that size is wrong you won't get happy.

Specially the saddle must be adjusted perfect by the shop because as beginner you might have a hard time doing it yourself.

Thank you for your response.

I bought Scultura 400 few hours ago from the shop called Bike Terminal near by Suvarnabhumi Airport. They are about 12 buddies and opened the store few months back. I got on the bike on a platform and they put some black tapes on my ankle shoulder, knee and hib. Later on they turned on a laser and did some measurments with an angle able tool. Well, they seemed pretty professional and I admit that I was impressed cuz I didnt expect this complex work. They adjusted the seat and as you recommended I got regular pedals which can grab my shoes. Only one thing that connects frame and handle bar that they said i need to change it to 1cm shorter one for a better holding position. Right bow my arms are exposed to high tension. It was about 2000 baht(the one match the bike black matte frame) and I said I ll buy later.

Afterwards I went to Terminal 21 and bought some lights and clothing accessories. Next is gloves and helmet. I am almost ready :)

ps: Green Lane is a green bicycle track which is about 24km long around Suvarnabhumi airport. Only bicycles are allowed and open 6:00-19:00 everyday(last entry at 18:00). post-181825-14229809652543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ozgur

First of all congratulations on your purchase :-)

They adjusted the seat and as you recommended I got regular pedals which can grab my shoes. Only one thing that connects frame and handle bar that they said i need to change it to 1cm shorter one for a better holding position. Right bow my arms are exposed to high tension. It was about 2000 baht(the one match the bike black matte frame) and I said I ll buy later.

If you mean pedal with the loops on to hold your foot in place (these are referred to as pedal clips), these are far worse than starting out than clipless pedals (the ones you need special shoes to attach yourself to the pedals). Ditch the clips and just keep the standard flat pedals. Sorry if that isn't what you have, but it's important to know that these clips are pretty dangerous if you're not familiar and used to them. In other words they're a beginners nightmare.

2000 baht for a new stem might sound expensive, but it will make a massive difference to comfort when riding more than 30mins, by all means try as it is, but you might suffer from should and neck pains due to the stretched riding position, and you won't be having much fun!

And that's what it's all about, having fun and keeping/getting fit with your bike :-)

Edited by moonoi

Those road cyclists' pedal clips scare me....

I was reading a bike fitters' blog recently, and I realised that your riding position and comfort may change rapidly with time - and also that you yourself may not understand why you are uncomfortable...

For example, I learnt from the blog that I myself am uncomfortable because I am not pushing hard enough, but then I need to decide whether I want to push harder, or adjust my handlebar setting to my current level of effort.

SC

First of all congratulations on your purchase :-)

They adjusted the seat and as you recommended I got regular pedals which can grab my shoes. Only one thing that connects frame and handle bar that they said i need to change it to 1cm shorter one for a better holding position. Right bow my arms are exposed to high tension. It was about 2000 baht(the one match the bike black matte frame) and I said I ll buy later.

If you mean pedal with the loops on to hold your foot in place (these are referred to as pedal clips), these are far worse than starting out than clipless pedals (the ones you need special shoes to attach yourself to the pedals). Ditch the clips and just keep the standard flat pedals. Sorry if that isn't what you have, but it's important to know that these clips are pretty dangerous if you're not familiar and used to them. In other words they're a beginners nightmare.

2000 baht for a new stem might sound expensive, but it will make a massive difference to comfort when riding more than 30mins, by all means try as it is, but you might suffer from should and neck pains due to the stretched riding position, and you won't be having much fun!

And that's what it's all about, having fun and keeping/getting fit with your bike :-)

pedals with loops over your foot, are very retro.....most probable on Thailands streets you die before you learned it. I also support: Flat pedals as beginner...the cheapest one....and I recommend to quickly change later on the special shows and pedals (are the called clipless??). But not when you just begin.

When you go with the clipless pedals and have a few hundred km I would let them measure again and adjust the bike again.

On the beginning focus on high cadence. Getting used to have high rpm but still fluid round motion. That will help you later on.

Enjoy your bike!!

Those road cyclists' pedal clips scare me....

I was reading a bike fitters' blog recently, and I realised that your riding position and comfort may change rapidly with time - and also that you yourself may not understand why you are uncomfortable...

For example, I learnt from the blog that I myself am uncomfortable because I am not pushing hard enough, but then I need to decide whether I want to push harder, or adjust my handlebar setting to my current level of effort.

SC

You are scared about pedal clips?

I see here in Bangkok people with fixis (spelling??) no brakes, direct gear in the busy Bangkok traffic......I can't recall if I ever saw the same one twice. That scares me......

I bought Scultura 400 few hours ago from the shop called Bike Terminal near by Suvarnabhumi Airport. They are about 12 buddies and opened the store few months back. I got on the bike on a platform and they put some black tapes on my ankle shoulder, knee and hib. Later on they turned on a laser and did some measurments with an angle able tool. Well, they seemed pretty professional and I admit that I was impressed cuz I didnt expect this complex work. They adjusted the seat and as you recommended I got regular pedals which can grab my shoes. Only one thing that connects frame and handle bar that they said i need to change it to 1cm shorter one for a better holding position. Right bow my arms are exposed to high tension. It was about 2000 baht(the one match the bike black matte frame) and I said I ll buy later.

Afterwards I went to Terminal 21 and bought some lights and clothing accessories. Next is gloves and helmet. I am almost ready smile.png

ps: Green Lane is a green bicycle track which is about 24km long around Suvarnabhumi airport. Only bicycles are allowed and open 6:00-19:00 everyday(last entry at 18:00). attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1422980963.615606.jpg

UNO make stems 300-500bht (black or silver), depending on the one you want, paid 600bht for this fitted last week.

Widely available across Thailand. No need to spend 2,000bht.

post-151798-0-45975100-1423040397_thumb.

H

30k thats a very good price. Is it 2015 mod?

Ozgur, congrats on getting a nice bike!

The component kit looks real value, with Shimano 105 kit and a carbon fork.

Unless you're on a really tight budget, when you need upgrade the inhouse branded components [like the stem], get something around 105 grade. That's a fairly good pricepoint for quality.

There's nothing really wrong with AOAmerican's suggestion of the UNO though, I'm sure it would function fine.

• Like 1

Ozgur, congrats on getting a nice bike!

The component kit looks real value, with Shimano 105 kit and a carbon fork.

Unless you're on a really tight budget, when you need upgrade the inhouse branded components [like the stem], get something around 105 grade. That's a fairly good pricepoint for quality.

There's nothing really wrong with AOAmerican's suggestion of the UNO though, I'm sure it would function fine.

Thank you for kind wishes. I also dont like low quality accessories on high quality items. i.e. People pay one million baht for nice sport bikes and have cheap exhaust installed on them smile.png

As to my pedals, they are reversable. One side is with clip other side is flat with little bumps that can prevent sliding off my shoes. So, in the traffic and busy area I use the flat side.

That sounds perfect! Still be careful the first few times you use them. I learned it with these where bind your foot on it and need to release it first with your hand before you can slip out of it. I had to learn it the hard way......

You feel so like an idiot if you stop at a traffic light and just fall to the side. Better one learned to keep locked in the clips and stand without legs down. I never could do that.

Better one learned to keep locked in the clips and stand without legs down. I never could do that.

It's called a trackstand, I practice in my village and try to see how long I can do it at lights if the junction is clear :-) quite fun

You find quite a few tutorials on the technique to use, but you can start here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/skills-q-a-how-to-trackstand-20438/

Better one learned to keep locked in the clips and stand without legs down. I never could do that.

It's called a trackstand, I practice in my village and try to see how long I can do it at lights if the junction is clear :-) quite fun

You find quite a few tutorials on the technique to use, but you can start here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/skills-q-a-how-to-trackstand-20438/

bookmarked....how long did you need to master it?

Locked into the clips on the street bike it will be hard to learn. Friend of mine, always just stopped at the traffic lights---and did nothing......

People didn't even see it, as it looked complete normal for him.

With the new bike I even have a hard time to go without hands on the steering. Either the bike is more nervous or I lost it.....I recall before I always unwrap the food from the foil and ate it while ridding the bike.

Maybe it just needs a few thousand km.....(unfortunately I am most of the time in Bangkok...)

Locked into the clips on the street bike it will be hard to learn. Friend of mine, always just stopped at the traffic lights---and did nothing......

With the new bike I even have a hard time to go without hands on the steering. Either the bike is more nervous or I lost it.....I recall before I always unwrap the food from the foil and ate it while ridding the bike.

Maybe it just needs a few thousand km.....(unfortunately I am most of the time in Bangkok...)

I got the knack of riding no-hands back after a couple of thousand km. Unfortunately once I get up to about 40 kph the front wheel starts to wobble, just as I'm getting a nice breeze around the oxters

SC

I wouldn't say I've mastered it, I can hold it for around a minute before I have to ride off, or put my foot down.

For riding no hands, I think the same as you, I remember it being easy, eating, drinking while riding, relaxing even. Now I wobble all over the place, certainly my confidence has taken a knock, I wonder if it's because the geometry of race bikes has changed so much since I was younger, so it's more twitchy. It's probably like the trackstand, need to practice and build confidence, but the Bangkok roads aren't really smooth enough to do that!

I got the knack of riding no-hands back after a couple of thousand km. Unfortunately once I get up to about 40 kph the front wheel starts to wobble, just as I'm getting a nice breeze around the oxters

SC

When the bearing get a bit of a problem which you may not notice on normal riding "no-hands" riding get very difficult.

I wouldn't say I've mastered it, I can hold it for around a minute before I have to ride off, or put my foot down.

For riding no hands, I think the same as you, I remember it being easy, eating, drinking while riding, relaxing even. Now I wobble all over the place, certainly my confidence has taken a knock, I wonder if it's because the geometry of race bikes has changed so much since I was younger, so it's more twitchy. It's probably like the trackstand, need to practice and build confidence, but the Bangkok roads aren't really smooth enough to do that!

For me it feels like the bike is more twitchy, but it is 15 years ago, in 15 years the memory changes a lot.....But maybe that changes after a few more km....

SC

When the bearing get a bit of a problem which you may not notice on normal riding "no-hands" riding get very difficult.

I think its just a resonance problem at high speed. At first I thought it was related to a buckle in the back wheel that I'd picked up, but I've had both wheels straightened, and still got a bit of a scarey wobble at about 40 kph. You'd need to be mad to bowl along at that speed with no hands on the handlebars, in any case.

SC

• 2 weeks later...

SC

I think its just a resonance problem at high speed. At first I thought it was related to a buckle in the back wheel that I'd picked up, but I've had both wheels straightened, and still got a bit of a scarey wobble at about 40 kph. You'd need to be mad to bowl along at that speed with no hands on the handlebars, in any case.

SC

resonance at only 40 sounds strange? We went down the mountains when it was straight for a long time with both hands back on the body and the chin almost on the handlebar up to 60 km/h or so. Than with one hand on the handlebar. With the knees locked on the upper "pipe" as at some speed our bikes start to terrible wobble.

But I come from the alps and the down part was always more important than everything else (young and stupid....)

If I had a wobble at any speed I would definitely get it checked out.

I have this one mountain pass I sometimes go over with gradients in the mid 20s and I have yet to develop the courage to see how fast the bike will go before it tops out. Once I get over 60 kmh I start to put the brakes on for fear of hitting the bend too fast or encountering traffic or obstacles in the road. No hint of a vibration and no need for fancy positions on the bike, just make sure I have my fingers poised over the brakes.
That is with the mt. bike as I have yet to try the climb on the road bike. The dirt trail I use to get to the top is not as steep as the asphalt road and I have a lot more gears on the mt. bike.

If I had a wobble at any speed I would definitely get it checked out.

I have this one mountain pass I sometimes go over with gradients in the mid 20s and I have yet to develop the courage to see how fast the bike will go before it tops out. Once I get over 60 kmh I start to put the brakes on for fear of hitting the bend too fast or encountering traffic or obstacles in the road. No hint of a vibration and no need for fancy positions on the bike, just make sure I have my fingers poised over the brakes.
That is with the mt. bike as I have yet to try the climb on the road bike. The dirt trail I use to get to the top is not as steep as the asphalt road and I have a lot more gears on the mt. bike.

Well on the MTB I was always coward. On the street bike I touched the 100 km/h, others went over 120. But at that time the bike felt like a part of my body. And we always went the same places. So you knew everything on the street conditions. Now here I guess I would have the panic at 70 km/h....

Wobble at any speed sounds wrong...Bearing for the steering surely OK?