Selling a House Privately not using an agent.. In Chiang Mai.

33 RPM

We are in the process of having to sell our house in Chaing Mai

in the Luang Nuea area in Doi Saket

its on an 8 Rai plot and valued i believe in the 17 - 19 million baht mark

If i wanted to self market the property, and yes i do realise agents will ring wanting and promising the earth to sell it

{ had experiences with that selling down south before moving here }

what online resources, websites, facebook etc would you folk suggest might be a good starting place

appreciate your suggestions, perhaps an experience, similar.

Thanks.

First off that seems quite cheap to me with the land area being 8 Rai. Guess I have been in BKK too long as it seems just the land should be worth that. What is the house like? Bedrooms, baths, furnishings?

After a hundred years ( slight exageration )  living around CMai I also am selling .   I have sold some properties before , using online forums or word of mouth .   My ONE agent experience was NOT a good one , very little done but they did have a three page contract i had to sign.     I stopped that at expiration date !

Facebook forums would be ok BUT  agents are posting continuously their stuff.   By day 2 your listing will be on page 20 .

And yes, agents will call you .    Still,  worth posting on various groups .

Anyone interested in a 2 1/2 year old strong house , about 110 sq mt on  178 dw of land  in same general area as Luang Neua ..... Doisaket .... can PM me .( price around 3.5 m)   I also have experience (buying and selling about 6 properties over time )  and can answer some questions regarding usual things one might encounter in  sales/ buying .   (NOT ADVICE ... just my experiences ! )      

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, 33 RPM said:

We are in the process of having to sell our house in Chaing Mai

in the Luang Nuea area in Doi Saket

its on an 8 Rai plot and valued i believe in the 17 - 19 million baht mark

If i wanted to self market the property, and yes i do realise agents will ring wanting and promising the earth to sell it

{ had experiences with that selling down south before moving here }

what online resources, websites, facebook etc would you folk suggest might be a good starting place

appreciate your suggestions, perhaps an experience, similar.

Thanks.

Possibly Facebook......in the property section. When I sold my two houses I took pics of the inside and outside and put them on an A4 flyer which I handed out to all and sundry as well as pinning them up in bars of folks I knew. I even got a response from someone who saw the flyer in a Go-go bar!!

In the end I sold one through my Lawyer, who contacted some of her clients about it, and one from a banner I had made up and put on the gate. Also of course put an advert (with pics) in the local newspaper

Good luck with whatever you do

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marin said:

First off that seems quite cheap to me

Second off that seems quite expensive to me.

Third off and finally neither first or second know anything about the property.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Possibly Facebook......in the property section. When I sold my two houses I took pics of the inside and outside and put them on an A4 flyer which I handed out to all and sundry as well as pinning them up in bars of folks I knew. I even got a response from someone who saw the flyer in a Go-go bar!!

In the end I sold one through my Lawyer, who contacted some of her clients about it, and one from a banner I had made up and put on the gate. Also of course put an advert (with pics) in the local newspaper

Good luck with whatever you do

good idea to tell and show everyone .   you never know ,  and actually i only got one buyer from a facebook posting .  

• Thumbs Up 1

In spite of the commission, you'd probably net more using a good agent.  Plus, a good one can keep you out of a lot of pitfalls (which would be a major consideration for me, if selling in a foreign country).

That's assuming you can find a good one.  So this isn't an endorsement of agents in general.  Just good ones.  The OP may want to ask if anyone knows a good one in the area that they'd recommend.  You can always choose a different path after you've interviewed some (and gotten some free advice about how to price the property).

Other bonus...  Once you've signed on with one, the rest of them won't pester the snot out of you.

Doi Saket ,too far out for most buyers ,then the price ,unless

it's a very special property ,it's not going to be easy to sell,

especially without having an agent involved. good luck

regards worgeordie  

• Like 1

If you've plenty of time and patience to handle those buyers interested yourself, and you want max profit due to no commissions or fees -- yeah, the no agent route may work.

But, if you're not hanging on the last baht of profit, and would rather be playing golf than playing realtor -- I can recommend a local guy (American), who comes highly recommended to me by a neighbor, who recently used him to sell his 25M baht "bungalow" here in Luang Nuea.

Guy's name is Paul. Don't know how his fees stack against competitors....

https://www.doisaketproperties.com/property_category/property-for-sale/page/

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, JimGant said:

If you've plenty of time and patience to handle those buyers interested yourself, and you want max profit due to no commissions or fees -- yeah, the no agent route may work.

But, if you're not hanging on the last baht of profit, and would rather be playing golf than playing realtor -- I can recommend a local guy (American), who comes highly recommended to me by a neighbor, who recently used him to sell his 25M baht "bungalow" here in Luang Nuea.

Guy's name is Paul. Don't know how his fees stack against competitors....

https://www.doisaketproperties.com/property_category/property-for-sale/page/

I have heard from another guy living here that there was someone ..... sounds like Paul .... so i will contact him .

also,   you are right..... not fun playing realtor ,  but in my experience "good ones"  are  not..... good .  🙂

even one that comes "recommended"  sometimes can be a big disappointment .   

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

and one from a banner I had made up and put on the gate

Best method IMO.

Sold 3 houses in Bangkok without agents. All the adverts I placed online on various platforms only garnered a slew of phone calls from agents offering to do what I had obviously already done.

The sign on the gate method produced instant results. Everyone in the neighborhood who saw the sign contacted friends or relatives and a sale followed within a fortnight.

Edited by Denim
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, rumak said:

good idea to tell and show everyone .   you never know ,  and actually i only got one buyer from a facebook posting .  

Thinking about it, my lawyer was instrumental in getting my first house sold, because I gave her the details of it, knowing full well that she had plenty of current clients, many of whom were quite wealthy and possibly looking for investments through rentals, as well as newcomers to the area, and of course she knew their current financial situation so there were many pluses to this move.

Now there is a little story around this, because I got a phone call from an advertisement I had put in the Phuket news paper, and the Aussie guy said he was interested in looking at it and although I tried to close him on a visit, he was reluctant and said he would get back to me?? 

Anyway a few days later my lawyer called me and said that she had a potential buyer for my house, and she turned up with the guy who'd phoned me previously, so strictly speaking I already had him as an interested party, so I explained that to my lawyer, and as that was the case I wasn't keen on paying her the full percentage commission I had apprised her of, and her answer was great, when she said, well he is now a client of mine and if you want to sell the house, I suggest you let me handle it for you and pay me the full commission.

I thought that was a bit cheeky of her, but then again I thought that was a great response from a hard-nosed business woman, so I went along with her and paid her the full commission; making sure that I kept her as my lawyer and provider of other services (insurance etc), and we are still friends and respect each other's business nous.

Seeking out the professional folk (especially lawyers etc) who might/will have contacts, especially wealthy and interested parties, should play a key part in gaining leads.

14 hours ago, rumak said:

After a hundred years ( slight exaggeration )  living around CMai I also am selling .   

Wow I know you have been in CM a long time. If I may ask was it the burn seasons that finally convinced you? In any case good luck to you. We have sold on our own before in CM also but it was just a condo & was sold very quickly just by posting on FB

I have often thought about marketing my Bangkok apartment for sale. Based on other adverts I see on websites, there always seems to be a lack of info or pictures or 360 degree walkthough or even just video. Adding as much relevent info as possible and pictures costs nothing. Many adverts don't even show the price. I would set-up a webpage with all this and then allow agents to use this. The more exposure the better. Adding easy contact details such as phone, Line ID, email, Facebook etc. to generate as many inquiries as possible. So many so called "agents" are lacking. Good luck in your sale.

3 hours ago, mania said:

Wow I know you have been in CM a long time. If I may ask was it the burn seasons that finally convinced you? In any case good luck to you. We have sold on our own before in CM also but it was just a condo & was sold very quickly just by posting on FB

we had some business here for many years..... but not anymore.    actually like our house ,  but yes. the bad air forcing me out .    Like to be outside .......... so going down to coastal area somewhere .     

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...