Taking Thai GF Skiing in the Alps - Good or Bad Idea?

kall3

My Thai girlfriend will be coming to visit me to Europe for Easter holidays and we are currently making plans for what to do during that time.. I had this idea of taking the girl skiing to the Alps in France, which would probably be an experience of a lifetime for someone who has never seen snow before. But it also got me thinking.. we can only go for a week max. and I'm wondering whether it's enough for someone completely new to learn skiing and be able to do it properly after a little bit of training.

Personally I have been skiing for a total of maybe 6 times and don't consider myself specially good at it - but I know how to do it and every time I go the technique comes quickly back to my memory.

Thinking back in the day when I was 10, I remember I went to the Alps for the first time and was sliding down blue and red slopes pretty fast right on my second day.. but it can't be the same thing for a Thai girl in her mid 20's, who has never done anything even remotely close to this sport. Being from Scandinavia myself, I must have gone ice skating or cross-country skiing back home before my real skiing trip, so there was probably some background experience at least.

I once took my parents skiing to Austria and although they had done it when they were younger, they were horrified by the steepness of the red slopes and came down extremely slowly every time with their legs hurting. They are nearly 60 though, but this was a little annoying as I ended up skiing alone the whole week because they weren't able to follow me, although I don't go any faster than the majority of people.

What do you people think? She is up for it, but can you learn basic skiing (for blue and red slopes) in a day or 2 with an instructor and then enjoy the rest of the week at the slopes, or do you think this will end with many tears and broken legs?

Should be able to ski green slopes in a few hours, but she might be happiest if you drop her off in the nursery ski area while you do your thing. whistling.gif Reckon your biggest obstacle will be the sun tan and the cold. Having said that, she should love the snow.

Edited by daveAustin

I think going to the snow would be good fun , and she will like the new clothes she will use one time !

She can take lots of selfies too.......

But I would have my escape ready if a few hours is enough for her...

off subject a little , how hard was it for her to get a visa ?

Just recently my wife and I visited my mother in Europe for Christmas and New Year. Too cold for her. After Christmas we had snow and she was very excited about it, wanted to play with the snow, but after only a few minutes she returned to the house because of the cold. Longest period of time she spent outside the house or the car was 20 minutes, one time. She enjoyed to hang around in the house with my mother or visiting friends indoor. She now like to go back to Europe, but during summertime

Fatfather

Go for it! I was in Switzerland in July on business with Thai clients and we took them up to 3500 meters on Jungfraujoch. They loved the snowstorm and much to my surprise about 80% of the visitors where Asians, we met several Thai groups there amongst Chinese, Malay, Koreans, etc.

• Like 2

I took my Thai partner into the northern USA in winter and while there spent time skiing. We had a great time. I say "Go For It" but be prepared with alternatives in case she doesn't like the cold or becomes frightened at the prospects of moving along the snow on skis. I guess I would evaluate her athleticism, spirit of adventure, and physical condition. Prepare to leave her in the care of the ski school for at least a day. She will be careful looked after, meet new friends, and when finished she'll be ready to snowplow her way across those beginner slopes with your patient encouragement. Practicing good sense and following safety rules should aid in preventing accidents but be prepared! Don't push her beyond her capabilities. Adequate medical travel insurance recommended! Have a blast!

• Like 2

We've done a few trips to US and always camp. We've tent camped in very cold weather and a few days snow. Waking up in one of the best campsites in Yellowstone, with fresh snow was a treat. It was me not her complaining about the cold. It was beautiful and she loved it.

We tent camped in temps that were well below zero, touching perhaps 4-8F. Her bag held up well. Two years before in Bryce, it hit about 25F, it was ok. We were nit as prepared, but she was good with it.

Living in the snow and the bs associated with it is another matter, but wife enjoyed it.

Honestly, if you are draghing her to Europe you should kniw her well enough, not need our advice.

Think going to see the mountains and snow for a few days would be pleasant.

Took the BF to South Korea ( I know not the Alps) - included a couple of days skiing. You will have to invest in some seriously good clothing- down jackets, waterproof shoes, gloves etc etc- I spent 30000 on clothes! Glad we did as was -14 C one day.

He tried skiing ( bit of a effort renting boots etc) , got fed up with it after a couple of hours and a lesson.

Trouble is you can't just put on skies and start whizzing around the mountain. What is she going to do as you enjoy your skiing.

The cold is not a problem if you have the right gear, but expecting your girlfriend to spend a week on the slopes s a step too far.

There are plenty of places closer to home, Japan, Korea, China, Nepal etc where you can enjoy snow.

• Like 2

Do it, but make a more diverse travel plan than just a week of skiing. She'll enjoy trying it out but I don't think she's gonna want to do too much of it. I'd also take her to Switzerland, Thai people all dream of going there (the King grew up there so they've all seen the photos) and her friends will be super jealous when she posts all the selfies on Facebook.

• Like 2

Honey skin....open fire place....animal skin rug on the floor....you have won me.

Yes, I agree, my Filipna wife loved the snow--some will, some won't. Get her a ski lesson, but don't push the skiing, unless she wants. An Alpine ski lodge should be a great experience for a tropical climate girl. Make sure a good fire and warm clothes are available; you will have a great time.

Better include winter fashion wear in the budget. Should make the lift tickets seem inconsequential from a cost comparison point of view.

Mine came back with suitcase of stuff she may wear 1-2 more times in her life but she shows it to everyone whilst sweat falls from my brow.