Lifan Cross and X-Cross

floridaguy

Anyone know the difference between the Lifan Cross and X-Cross? All I can see is that the can is on the opposite side and all engine/frame parts are painted flat black. The fairings are a bit different also. And difference in specs/motor/shocks? I asked at a dealer for the X-Cross and he showed me the normal Cross and didn't really know about the X. This link shows both bikes, the X is the small photo below the main photo. I notice the offer 4 colors, and the White is the X-Cross, so maybe the White comes painted? I like the look of the black painted bike.

http://www.p-bike.net/LIFAN/CROSS.html

Edited by floridaguy

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lifan, the worlds largest bike maker, manufactures the 200cc crossdressers in Thailand.

People who have actually owned and ridden these seem well pleased, and find them a good value.

Proven engine.

Basic technology.

Easy to deal with.

Get some Lock-tight.

papa al brings up a good point. If you are mechanically inclined, or want to learn, getting one of the current generation Chinese bikes will get you well on your way there. If you're willing to trade frustration/some down time from riding for quite a bit of savings...more power to you. If however you just want to ride without worrying about those types of things, get a Japanese bike.

Lifan, the worlds largest bike maker, manufactures the 200cc crossdressers in Thailand.

People who have actually owned and ridden these seem well pleased, and find them a good value.

Proven engine.

Basic technology.

Easy to deal with.

Get some Lock-tight.

1/3 the price of a CRF250M

Much more than 1/3 the bike.

But some people are stuck in their groove, like a snakes belly in a wagon rut.

Cross = X-cross.

Different year, different cosmetics.

X-plore has 17" 'motard' wheels.

These bikes come with colored plastic panels.

Not painted really.

I can't see where it states they are different years. Which one is newer?

I didn't ask the difference between a Lifan and Japanese bike or any other bike, and I didn't ask about the quality of Lifan either. I asked the difference between the Cross and the X-Cross.

It is what it is.

Cross = X-cross.

Not painted really.

X-cross is the newer version of the Cross. X-plore is the motard version of the x-cross.

Cross = X-cross.

Not painted really.

X-cross is the newer version of the Cross. X-plore is the motard version of the x-cross.

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted to know. I will assume no major differences, like gear box, engine, etc.

Cross = X-cross.

Not painted really.

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted to know. I will assume no major differences, like gear box, engine, etc.

No "thank you." ?

I didn't ask the difference between a Lifan and Japanese bike or any other bike, and I didn't ask about the quality of Lifan either. I asked the difference between the Cross and the X-Cross.

No, you didn't.

You asked if anyone knew.

Answers to the 3 questions in OP:

Yes, no, no.

Proven engine.

Basic technology.

Easy to deal with.

Get some Lock-tight.

Some people just cannot live with a Chinese budget bike. It's not only the money. Value for money is the thing here I guess. I rather pay more and get more.

Proven engine.

Basic technology.

Easy to deal with.

Get some Lock-tight.

I like my rut, its much nicer than yours, will be worth something on re-sale, will do more, will out perform, is far less likely to break down, will require less maintenance, looks betters, has more aftermarket parts, large dealer network, and

doesnt draw looks of pity.

But go for it, but not to hard.

Proven engine.

Basic technology.

Easy to deal with.

Get some Lock-tight.

I like my rut, its much nicer than yours, will be worth something on re-sale, will do more, will out perform, is far less likely to break down, will require less maintenance, looks betters, has more aftermarket parts, large dealer network, and

Don't know what you ride or what you paid, assuming you bought Japanese though; you only will have a higher resale value because you paid a lot more to begin with. I bought my Lifan cross 4 years ago for 46k, my wife is encouraging me to sell it now because I only ride my quad these days. I bet I get 25k for it. That would mean my 4 years of ownership cost me a mere 21k, not including some slight mods.

A little more than 5000 baht a year. Lots of folks spending more than that to have a fancy logo stamped on their exhaust can.

Let's say you bought a CRF for 125k, how much do you think you would get for it in 4 years? Maybe 75k. That would mean your four years of ownership cost you more than the sticker price of mine. And each year cost you more than double the Lifan,12.5k annually.

And to top it off I only had to layout 46k, leaving a bunch a cash in my wallet for other toys.

So I wouldn't be too excited about the higher resale value. It is not realistic.

Proven engine.

Basic technology.

Easy to deal with.

Get some Lock-tight.

Don't know what you ride or what you paid, assuming you bought Japanese though; you only will have a higher resale value because you paid a lot more to begin with. I bought my Lifan cross 4 years ago for 46k, my wife is encouraging me to sell it now because I only ride my quad these days. I bet I get 25k for it. That would mean my 4 years of ownership cost me a mere 21k, not including some slight mods.

A little more than 5000 baht a year. Lots of folks spending more than that to have a fancy logo stamped on their exhaust can.

Let's say you bought a CRF for 125k, how much do you think you would get for it in 4 years? Maybe 75k. That would mean your four years of ownership cost you more than the sticker price of mine. And each year cost you more than double the Lifan,12.5k annually.

And to top it off I only had to layout 46k, leaving a bunch a cash in my wallet for other toys.

So I wouldn't be too excited about the higher resale value. It is not realistic.

dont think so you can get 25 k or it!

Moreover, a 125 k thb bike sure will be more fun or a more proper safe and sound ride over the years than a lifan and that is priceless.

dont think so you can get 25 k or it!

Moreover, a 125 k thb bike sure will be more fun or a more proper safe and sound ride over the years than a lifan and that is priceless.

Well we will see what I can get if I decide to sell.

But even if I settled for a lower amount my argument would still stand re- resale value. And that was what my post was addressing.

As far as spending more money equaling better quality. Of course that is true. But there is a balance people play. For example if the bikes you ride were ten times more expensive, you likely would have given them a pass. Because value is something everyone works out for themselves. And not everyone gets there self-worth out of name brands.

My bike has done all it was asked and still runs fine and still starts at the first touch. I feel I have gotten excellent value from it.

My bike has done all it was asked and still runs fine and still starts at the first touch. I feel I have gotten excellent value from it.

That is it in a nutshell.

Many posters here feel that they must ride something with a "name brand" or their self-worth will be lowered in the eyes of others. Pity has been mentioned as a way of looking at riders of bikes made in China.

Others have posted many times that whatever they ride is the best of all possible bikes, and their brand of tires the best of all possible tires, ...

Sad - but so goes the human condition. Looking for self worth in other opinions.

Who really cares about resale value?

Are pinching pennies so necessary?

Canuckamuck (welcome back haven't seen you for a while) bought a bike. He's ridden the bike. He enjoys (?) the ride. He spent 45,000 baht. That's 80,000 less than the competition. That's a lot of money in pocket for repairs. That's a lot of fuel for riding. That's a lot of money for upgrades/farkles. That's a lot of money for beer to wash away the pains of riding a dual sport. That's a lot of money for.....you get the picture.

I am not vehemently anti-Chinese bikes. However I do recognise their flaws and will point them out, as I do wit the Japanese bikes, so that others can make informed decisions.